MadDoc wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
MadDoc wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
MadDoc wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Alcohol manufacturer turns to solar power to stem costs

http://www.businessdaily...4/-/dmkht0/-/index.html

KPLC will definitely take a hit as more folks turn to solar installed at their premises be they home-owners using solar to heat their water or factories installing solar roofs to provide power for lighting & even manufacturing.

Will KenGen suffer from lower sales (or expansion)?

This is HUGE!

"...power bill from electricity distributor Kenya Power is in excess of Sh60 million annually"

"looking to save Sh18 million in power costs annually for at least 25 years with the installation of solar panels on its factory's rooftops in Athi River."

"...the company would recoup the initial investment in solar energy in six years."

"The cost-cutting drive has also led the firm to construct a biogas plant fed with molasses waste to generate electricity, saving it Sh10 million annually"

" Tightlipped about the cost...and runs parallel to the electricity grid." Seems to be more of a backup. KenGen injects cheap geothermal power to the grid. As long as it continues to do so n the setup costs for solar power remains prohibitive, it's still in business.

It seems the idea is that KPLC becomes the back-up coz the solar generation, despite its cost, is saving them money or they would not have installed it.

Anyway, good luck with all the new projects to inject more power into the system. I hope the large industrial consumers are there to take up the new supply.

Is solar power ideal for power hungry industrial processes? Even in home settings, it's mainly used for the lights. Solar power is a supplementary option. N do we have batteries that can store that much power. Last I heard, Elon Musk was still working on that

Yes, Elon/Tesla is building a 'Gigafactory' to manufacture wall-packs but for residential and 'commercial' (small office/shop) use. Can they be used for industrial production? No.

Can solar panels REPLACE electricity generated by geothermal/thermal/hydro? NO.

Can solar panels REDUCE the need/requirement for electricity generated by geothermal/thermal/hydro? YES.

Exactly my point. KenGen is still far off from being SIGNIFICANTLY affected by solar power.

Even developed countries I see they integrate the two but main source of power is grid 80% and maybe 20% solar and other sources .kengen is still safe for now
VituVingiSana
#402 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2016 9:51:40 AM

Those who are putting 'new' cash into KenGen at 6.55... Good Luck.

*GoK f***ed me over during KPLC's Rights Issue. I hope it doesn't do the same to KenGen shareholders as the elections approach.*

UPDATE: Talk of irony. I just found out that @VVS is a KenGen shareholder. 31 shares. Did KenGen issue shares back in the day that were not rounded to 100?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
instinct
#403 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2016 10:02:43 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:

*GoK f***ed me over during KPLC's Rights Issue. I hope it doesn't do the same to KenGen shareholders as the elections approach.*

UPDATE: Talk of irony. I just found out that @VVS is a KenGen shareholder. 31 shares. Did KenGen issue shares back in the day that were not rounded to 100?

Let them be. we'll join them at 3bob in July
sparkly
#404 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2016 5:14:31 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:

Some things are best left undisclosed Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Life is short. Live passionately.
enyands
#405 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2016 9:36:17 PM

sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

this kengen crap is going to affect even us who don't want to participate in the vice.what I feel is that we participate in it because we were avoiding being screwed but they have become smarter and cant escape.@sparkly Applause Applause Applause bravo....Laughing out loudly

.Power producer KenGen is seeking to increase the prices at which it sells hydropower to Kenya Power, setting the stage for higher electricity bills for homes and businesses
VituVingiSana
#406 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2016 10:15:41 AM

enyands wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

this kengen crap is going to affect even us who don't want to participate in the vice.what I feel is that we participate in it because we were avoiding being screwed but they have become smarter and cant escape.@sparkly Applause Applause Applause bravo....Laughing out loudly

.Power producer KenGen is seeking to increase the prices at which it sells hydropower to Kenya Power, setting the stage for higher electricity bills for homes and businesses

GoK will screw KenGen shareholders over like they did KPLC shareholders who bought into the Rights Issue. Elections are less than 18 months away. Good Luck.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#407 Posted : Monday, May 30, 2016 6:20:06 PM

KENGEN share price is getting a bounce now at 6.70.
For the rights there are no buyers in the nkt.I see alot of shares lapsing and will be taken by those who plan to oversubscribe and large institutional investors during the rump up.
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Ebenyo
#408 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:05:26 PM

Ericsson wrote:
For the rights there are no buyers in the nkt.I see alot of shares lapsing and will be taken by those who plan to oversubscribe and large institutional investors during the rump up.

i had placed a bid at ksh6.50 on thursday.Today i checked my cds nothing.
Towards the goal of financial freedom
VituVingiSana
#409 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:41:31 PM

The pressure is on on GoK/ERC not to allow KenGen to raise the tariffs. http://www.businessdaily...8/-/xw508d/-/index.html

With the elections looming... What do you think GoK will do?
Aguytrying
#410 Posted : Tuesday, May 31, 2016 9:56:01 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

PPT desperately trying to keep it above rights price. Going for 5 cents. Thats the clearest signal of undersubscription
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
Ebenyo
#411 Posted : Wednesday, June 01, 2016 9:04:04 PM

Aguytrying wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

PPT desperately trying to keep it above rights price. Going for 5 cents. Thats the clearest signal of undersubscription

@ Aguy,my bid has failed.But i dont understand why because on thursday when i placed the bid at 6.50 that was the last trade price on NSE website.it trade the same on friday.It changed on monday and yesterday.That means my asking price stood for two days i.e thursday and friday.Why didnt i get the shares at that price? They held my money for three days.I checked the money has been returned to my account today.Since i started investing in NSE in 2008 during safcom IPO i have never seen this trend.Let me know pliz.
whiteowl
#412 Posted : Wednesday, June 01, 2016 9:58:29 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

@ Aguy,my bid has failed.But i dont understand why because on thursday when i placed the bid at 6.50 that was the last trade price on NSE website.it trade the same on friday.It changed on monday and yesterday.That means my asking price stood for two days i.e thursday and friday.Why didnt i get the shares at that price? They held my money for three days.I checked the money has been returned to my account today.Since i started investing in NSE in 2008 during safcom IPO i have never seen this trend.Let me know pliz.

You've already been answered.PPT
Ebenyo
#413 Posted : Wednesday, June 01, 2016 11:05:53 PM

whiteowl wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
Ebenyo wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

You've already been answered.PPT

whats ppt?
VituVingiSana
#414 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2016 1:03:43 AM

KenGen seeks Sh5.8bn refund from State for geothermal wells
http://www.businessdaily...6/-/i11fre/-/index.html

"“This amount has been outstanding since 2013 and earmarked to be settled in the current fiscal year,” said KenGen managing director Albert Mugo." GoK raised 20bn juzi but KCB wants 7bn or so. KenGen wants 5.8bn. There are payments to be made for roads. And water projects. How will GoK pay everyone?

Then GoK says things like:
“This will be settled. Remember they also owe us money in form of dividends,” said Joseph Njoroge, Energy PS in charge of electricity. “The wells belong to the government and were developed using a loan facility which KenGen paid for on behalf of the government,” he added.

What does that mean? Why didn't GoK tell KenGen to offset the dividends since 2013? Or offset against Income Tax. Or VAT payments.

Anyway... To KenGen shareholders. Good Luck.
Ericsson
#415 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2016 1:42:48 AM

Tactics of propping up the rights issue.
KENGEN has been feeding alot of news of late
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
sparkly
#416 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2016 5:39:09 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:

"“This amount has been outstanding since 2013 and earmarked to be settled in the current fiscal year,” said KenGen managing director Albert Mugo." GoK raised 20bn juzi but KCB wants 7bn or so. KenGen wants 5.8bn. There are payments to be made for roads. And water projects. How will GoK pay everyone?

“This will be settled. Remember they also owe us money in form of dividends,” said Joseph Njoroge, Energy PS in charge of electricity. “The wells belong to the government and were developed using a loan facility which KenGen paid for on behalf of the government,” he added.

What does that mean? Why didn't GoK tell KenGen to offset the dividends since 2013? Or offset against Income Tax. Or VAT payments.

The amount we will never be refunded. But that will not kill Kengen. Is it not using those same wells to generate electricity? Is there a chance that GDC will take away those wells and sell to some other parties?

Kengen is a majority taxpayer owned company, let's not pretend that it deals with GOK, Treasury, GDC, Ketraco, Kenya Power, KWS strictly at arms length as would the IPPs.
VituVingiSana
#417 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2016 8:24:50 AM

sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

The amount we will never be refunded. But that will not kill Kengen. Is it not using those same wells to generate electricity? Is there a chance that GDC will take away those wells and sell to some other parties?

Kengen is a majority taxpayer owned company, let's not pretend that it deals with GOK, Treasury, GDC, Ketraco, Kenya Power, KWS strictly at arms length as would the IPPs.

How will KenGen deal with the non-majority shareholders?
sparkly
#418 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2016 1:02:44 PM

Rights Supply 9.5 million; Demand 0
nashx
#419 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2016 1:17:32 PM

sparkly wrote:

And tomorrow is the last day to trade...people will have to exercise their rights or forfeit without compensation
Offering my personal finance knowledge for free
Aguytrying
#420 Posted : Thursday, June 02, 2016 1:36:56 PM

nashx wrote:
sparkly wrote:

And tomorrow is the last day to trade...people will have to exercise their rights or forfeit without compensation

It's not kengen company that's the problem, it's the rights issue that is too demanding for the shareholder. If you've invested 1 million. They want you to give them 3 million and with 1 month notice . Surely!!

Why is it only gava firms that issue killer rights?
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself