wazua Fri, May 3, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

38 Pages123>»
Kengen success
obiero
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 07, 2009 6:36:00 PM

The faith in this company is evident. All the people who lent 25B plus cannot be wrong. Im watching the stock keenly for the medium term. U?

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Viny
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 08, 2009 12:42:00 PM

You should buy when no body is noticing certain stocks,for eg - Kengen .

Its a star stock since its a blue chip stock & also since it has a market share of 80% .

Kengen bond success is one of the many success stories ,there are plenty in line up in days to come . just imagine the new capital expansion which will add to revenues,the carbon credits,crosslisting of shares etc etc etc etc .

Kengen has always been a great company & it will be . There is no need to speculate on this stock . Just buy & go to sleep,the rest is a story of its own .

Good Investing

Vinny
Sylo
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 08, 2009 1:07:00 PM

The real winners who will have the lion's share are the stockholders,they will certainly make over 50% return unlike the bond holders who have a paltry guaranteed 12%.
obiero
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 08, 2009 3:50:00 PM

Gordon. That refers to guys like you and me!
@ Viny. Ua post is insightful. Im mopping up the kengen stocks on a big individual level..

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
ecstacy
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 08, 2009 3:57:00 PM

' a market share of 80% ' lol! what has it been doing with it???
$Billz
#6 Posted : Friday, October 09, 2009 11:24:00 AM

Are you guys serious!!?

Have any of you taken a look at their projected cash flows??

The stock is not paying dividends for the next 6 years.

The only reason it received so much attention was the tax free coupon,and the 70% government ownership

Make the money
Mainat
#7 Posted : Friday, October 09, 2009 12:21:00 PM

KenGen shareholders,just a quick question. Do you realise that finance costs will go up by Ksh3.1bn every year?

www.mjengakenya.blogspot.com
Sehemu ndio nyumba
pauloti
#8 Posted : Friday, October 09, 2009 12:46:00 PM

my exact question to all those saying dividend payout will be good....think again! u have all seen the cashflows.....the bulk of kengens profits will go to repaying the bonds and other financiers together with interest. so what dividend will remain for them to pay out to their shareholders. in the short run i can see prices will dip because of this. so tread warily on this share. for those who invested in the bond in large amounts,you will get a better return then the small shareholders.
TruthOpiner
#9 Posted : Friday, October 09, 2009 3:33:00 PM

The only winners from this bond will be the brokers who have already collected their fee's and transcentury,which will eat most of the public's money.

Njoroge will build at most one plant and maybe spend a few million,but the rest will be pocketed and the electricity grid will not expand. Besides,since he doesn't know if he'll be at kengen in 2012,this is their last chance to pile up.

You'd have to be an utter fool to invest in the NSE,3yrs before 2012.

Because the truth shall set you free...
solloh
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2009 6:55:00 PM

kengen is going to have to generate Kshs.35billion + in free cashflows to pay back this bond . Any shareholder expecting meaningful dividends over the next decade is dreaming. The only good thing is that kengen as a quasi parastatal is too big to fail so it won't default on its debt. I think this company should be broken up into hydro,geothermal and thermal units so as to reduce the risk of the whole company failing.
Currently with a book value of around 30 it is cheap but how someone would buy this stock is beyond me. Imagine what KCB,Equity,Mumias or even Access Kenya would do with 25 billion shillings!

Invest with alpha not leveraged beta
Scubidu
#11 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2009 7:38:00 PM

Indeed KenGen lacked the cashflows even for the original intended borrowing of Sh15 bn. It's only lifeline are its geothermal projects and hydro projects are simply not worth the hassle despite how cheap they are. Hydro cannot be relied on. Thermal power is effective in the short term but the money expended on fuel costs can cover the expansion of geothermal easily (short term pains for long term gains). Even the market for carbon credit is still relatively unprofitable for the new projects. In my opinion it is time to dump the stock. They intend to issue new stock twice over the next five years without even paying a single dividend. That's no incentive to be a shareholder. Being a bondholder,well now,that's a whole different question.

SCUBI
“We are the middle children of history man, no purpose or place. We have no great war, no great depression. Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives!" – Tyler Durden
itz
#12 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2009 8:28:00 PM

another high capital intensive business.will be long before you can get any reasonable returns.the bonds are a good investment because of the return but are also have a high risk of default.i would be contrarian and invest in companies that will benefit from increased uninterrupted power supply like KPLC (read more profits because they deliver directly to consumer),manufucters like EABL and cement companies if Comesa doesnt zero rate import duty on the commodity.
Brewer
#13 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2009 6:40:00 AM

I believe the bond borrowing is not just about financial cost but should improve the income stream. We know from @mainat that the financial cost will be 3.1b per year. How about the returns on increased generation capacity?
mukiha
#14 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2009 6:56:00 AM

@TruthOpiner; You make very serious accusations without giving any facts to back them.

'The only winners from this bond will be the brokers who have already collected their fee's and transcentury,which will eat most of the public's money.'

I can see how brokers will make money from commissions,but hows does Transcentury enter into the equation? And how will it 'eat most of the public's money'?

========================

On the plus side; there is a shortage of elec in Kenya and KenGen has raised more than enough to meet that shortage in the next two years...this will mean more income for the company.

On the minus side; this bond is quite expensive for Kengen. But it has two advantages: (1) It is shilling denominated thus shielded from FX swings; (2) It has an option for early redemption....a good plan,just in case interest rates go down in future...

Behind the gardens...Behind the wall...Under the tree (Including: Red...Dark Blue...Yellow)
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
pm
#15 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2009 8:45:00 PM

What worries me about kenGen:

Are they looking at sensible power generation to meet national needs,personally,wind,geothermal,are at best experimental and falls way short of meeting national goals.
Political influence - when public complains of power costs,there is bound to be plenty of political arms twisting for this quasi-governmental organization.
Bonds may hijack profits ahead of shareholders interests,BUT,I'm elated KenGen had the wisdom to raise capital locally instead from world organizations as was proposed when KenGen was going public (at the time,that was my main reason for not participating in the IPO)
Personal greed / political appointments for KenGen makes me weary....

Brewer
#16 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2009 10:34:00 AM

BTW,Kengen financial year ends June. Where are the reports?
across
#17 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:31:00 AM

@ Truth opiner....when you say...'You'd have to be an utter fool to invest in the NSE,3yrs before 2012'....what do u mean?when is the best time? In my opinion that is a misplaced comment.
The General
#18 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2009 7:15:00 AM

Pretax profit up 48%

Profit jumps to 48pc

The thicker the thigh the sweeter the pie.
cnn
#19 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2009 7:54:00 AM

But for the shareholder? EPS down to 0.98 shiillings from 2.68! not good.Bring on KPLC.

see it through my lens?
The General
#20 Posted : Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:17:00 PM

GDC will inject 100MW annually to the national grid