wazua Mon, May 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

olympia results
VituVingiSana
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 01, 2008 12:41:00 PM

http://www.nse.co.ke/newsite/

What do you think?

Greedy when others are fearful,Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase WB
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
wakam
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 01, 2008 1:30:00 PM

dont rush buying olympia if you are short term buyer,a good buy though for long term investors,the highs of 21.if i were you i would go for akina access or equity if you got the dime. personal views.read and filter

wakam
wakam
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 01, 2008 1:31:00 PM

dont rush buying olympia if you are short term buyer,a good buy though for long term investors,the highs of 21.if i were you i would go for akina access or equity if you got the dime. personal views.read and filter

wakam
Mainat
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 01, 2008 2:13:00 PM

Looking at the numbers was a huge anticlimax. There is a time I actually contemplated buying this counter because of the SA link,but if a company can triple its sales but only grow PAT by 10% and still be attractive to anybody apart from speculators,then I'm must be a stock-novice.

www.mjengakenya.blogspot.com
Sehemu ndio nyumba
emem
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 01, 2008 2:34:00 PM

Good point,though the notes (and FS) do show a huge rise in financing costs (albeit with a general decline in current/non current liabilities),were they operating on O/D,uchumi style...,?

True nobility lies in being superior to your former self.
sisinisisinini?
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 01, 2008 2:50:00 PM

@ MainaT,I always give your comments a lot of weight but I wish to point out a few issues

Pls note that the results of companies that were acquired post year end are not included.

Having been acquired through debt financing,it is no wonder that the finance cost (already charged as the Company had the financing in place but the acquisitions were delayed due to regulatory issues ) are slightly mismatched with income from the new investments,hence a less than impressive PAT.

Most commentators on SK have agreed that OCH is a long time buy so I would undersand some one with a short term view opting not to buy now. Logically,once the acquistion spree stops,debt will go down as will the attendant expenses. The companys profits will rise.

If you want to meaningfully assess how well or poorly this company is doing,the cashflow statement should be the principal component of your study.

Citius altius fortius !
Mainat
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 01, 2008 3:13:00 PM

Sisini8

Thanks for the response.

Yes I did note the higher FC costs of Ksh29m. Lakini even if you look at the profits from operations,the numbers are paltry i.e. this is an extremely thin-margin type of business.

On inclusion of acquired businesses,please note that this is a non-issue since one can easily assume that the sales are a like for like comparison.

What is your definition of long-term? In my opinion,the long-term is a defined period in the future but in the meantime,one should for example be able to say that in 2 years time,this is my anticipated profit growth.

Cash-flow statement-already looked at it. Whats nice about it? Its only improved because of the rights issue and the borrowings and not from operating activities.

www.mjengakenya.blogspot.com
Sehemu ndio nyumba
VituVingiSana
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 01, 2008 4:43:00 PM

MainaT & sisinini... opposite views?

What of recent acquisitions?

Greedy when others are fearful,Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase WB
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
sisinisisinini?
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 01, 2008 6:57:00 PM

You have a point MainaT about the time lines and the low profitability. My long term specifically for this stock is 5 years as I believe that it requires that time to implement whatever vision management has for the new acquisitions. My other reasons for selecting 5 years are ;

(1) Benefits from construction in Southern Africa to be felt after the World Cup in SA

(2) I estimate that metropolinization of Nairobi will benefit the company. I expect the benefits to accrue over parliaments 5 yrs

My major concerns are that the MD is not very visible in Kenya and that definitely affects the Companys market price on the NSE of course couple with the no dividends and low dividend pay out ratios.

I am also concerned at the company's gross margin of sub 10%. Could some one in the construction industry tell us what the margins on resins,dyes,adhesives etc usually are.

Last but not least the puzzle of the finance charges,are they carried over from the prerights periods,some one pointed out to me that most of the financing for acquistions has come from the rights money so the finance cost should not be that high.

I have very little time to research the stock but based on my gut and earlier projections,I will just retain my current holding purchased at 12.50 to 13.5 and target a price of 22.

Citius altius fortius !
VituVingiSana
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 01, 2008 7:59:00 PM

MainaT: Please collaborate with sisinini and post a blog on this. It will be appreciated. We need the full story from all angles not just the pessimist or the optimist.

At 40cts,the PE seemed very high to me (39) but the NAV is about 15/-. I do not know how much of that NAV is goodwill. The EPS is for 14 months so the effective PE is even higher though it is lower if you use 'weighted average shares'.

Also,the Rights were done in Sep 2007 (as sisinini mentions) per the website so they didn't use the funds for 8 months. The CEO mentions a substantial decrease is expected in financing costs after the Rights raised 420 million. I would say that would be from interest income & paydown of short-term loans.

S.Africa seems the major market for OCHL through OCC but own about 51% only thus the large 'minority interest' deduction. How big (turnover) and profitabale is Mather & Platt (Kenya)? They can't consolidate M&P unless they own 50%+1 share (like they did in Natwood).

Questions:
What happens after 2010?
How are PVC tiles selling in Kenya vs other flooring products?
How are they affected by currency fluctuations?
What happens to OCC & Plush in a xenophobic SA environment?

Sober
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 01, 2008 8:10:00 PM

buy now and sell after 2 years. i mean after the results of the world cup are factored in in their balance sheet

The real measure of wealth is how much you'd be worth if you lost all your money.
African parents don't know how to say sorry.. the closest you will get to a sorry is a 'have you eaten'
g-lo
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 01, 2008 11:12:00 PM

It seems that this cup might not be played in SA if they fail to put their house in order. I wonder how the story below might affect this share:-

There is a Plan B for 2010 World Cup,admits Blatter
2 days ago

VIENNA (AFP) — FIFA President Sepp Blatter admits he has a Plan B organised should South Africa be unable to host the 2010 World Cup - but it will only be used if a disaster makes holding the tournament impossible there.

Blatter gave a press conference before Sunday's Euro 2008 final between Germany and Spain here at Vienna's Ernst Happel Stadium and said the tournament would only be taken away from South Africa in dire circumstances.

'I would be quite negligent as president if I did not have a Plan B tucked away at the back of a drawer,' said Blatter.

'But only a natural disaster would make it active,' he added pushing aside doubts over security and possible delays over construction of the stadiums.

Safety is a major concern for the tournament in South Africa where there are dozens of murders every day.

And a recent wave of violence against foreigners there has done nothing to ease fears.

FIFA will give 150,000 free World Cup tickets to South African football fans,with unemployment running at 40 percent and the average wage is 700 euros per month.

But next year's Confederations Cup,from June 14-28 2009,will be a big test for South Africa in the traditional warm-up before the World Cup is held there a year later.

'If we had to activate the Plan B,we would do it after the Confederations Cup,' said Blatter.

He added the cup will be used by FIFA to test the idea of using six officials at each the game,including a referee assigned to each penalty area to help control the game.

'It would be interesting on a psychological level,because the players would know they are being observed in the penalty area,' said Blatter.

'We will test this idea next year.'

But Blatter batted off any suggestions of a video referee to give his verdict on key situations in a game,or the idea of having a micro-chip to confirm whether a goal had been scored,saying the ideas had been 'suspended'.

VituVingiSana
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 02, 2008 8:43:00 AM

Well,the statement by FIFA will put pressure on the SA govt to increase spending on construction in the country.

Plus the pressure to provide additional housing and retail remains in the poorer suburbs of SA.

VituVingiSana
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 02, 2008 8:57:00 PM

4.5% is not bad for a stock that is generally quiet. Are there any folks with technical trading skills out there who can give us a read on the price movements?

slykat
#15 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:19:00 AM

@All,

Fast forwar the posts here to May 09. what do u think? can we expect a bonus or a 20cts each or both?

When buying shares,ask yourself,would you buy the whole company?