wazua Mon, May 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
Property Auctions - Making a Killing.
LimuruBoy
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:22:00 AM

When I was home last Dec,I attended a real estate auction held by Garam Auctioneers in an office near Kenyatta market shopping center. A 3 bedroom house in Greenfields estate which I conservatively valued at 4 million,was bought for 2.8 million. Anaa 3 acre shamba in Nakuru sitting on a road kabisa was auctioned for 130k....both of these loans were owned by barclays. I'm smelling big profits in this biz.

Is there anyone who has experienced buying properties at such auctions? Are they straight deals as far as getting titles ama ni kupigana na the former owners? Any insight from guys who've actually done this???

'All they see is my glory...they don't know my pain. Nothing good comes easy in life.' - Multibillionaire Nelson Muguku Njoroge
simonkabz
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:13:00 AM

My conscience wouldnt allow me to do so...

The only reason why some people are still alive is coz its illegal to shoot them!!
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
money maker
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:44:00 AM

The crazy thing about property or land auctions in Kenya is that most people view it as immoral.To me that's utter nonsense.If you lose your home because you did not pay your loan,then why should you be upset with me for buying the house from the bank.I am always discouraged by my family and friends from buying this properties. They keep saying that owners will have me killed.Yet i know guys who have plots and houses from this auctions with no issues.The law states as soon as the hammer comes down and you have the highest bid the deal is final.Go ahead and buy .

HOPE IS NOT A STRATEGY FOR INVESTING
VituVingiSana
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:04:00 AM

Would you buy shares at a LOWER price? Then why not buy a property?

Greedy when others are fearful,Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase WB
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
kanyimwa
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 8:47:00 AM

in fact the NSE share sale is a good example of the auction similar to what Limuruboy is describing. Why then would you wait for shares to fall so that you buy? The only difference comes about because for shares you never get to know who cleaned you out. Ukipata nyumba ama shamba inauzwa,nunua.

Disclaimer: Never buy your neighbour's auctioned property. It will haunt you forever especially if they become destitute. Otherwise,no emotional attachment involved.

The definition of your enemy is: 'Your former friend'
Kesh money
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 8:52:00 AM

Hey guyz whea r these auctions taking place av always been interested.any1 ...pliz give me info.. Having said that,the tricky bit in Kenya always comes to the issue of title deeds. If you get the land and you're able to get a clean title deed then i don't see why not. If one can not jipanga when it comes to loan then its not your fault when you buy the land from the bank.

Stash Inc.
Sasha
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:23:00 AM

@Kesh Money: Check any paper, any day!

The reason why these properties go for such low prices is because the bank has reached a point where they accept it is better to get something than nothing. An auction is a quick way to recover what is owed but unfortunately the realisation is very low. This is because once you advertise an auction and the hammer falls, you have to sell at the highest bidded price. Open market bidding usually realises higher returns since you can always tell the interested parties to review their bids using a determined reserve price as a basis.

My brothers normally visit these auctions to buy repossessed cars and they are making good money from them! Are they haunted by cashing in on the misfortune of others? Nope .... they are actually living large! Can't begrudge them that!

Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time!
Kaigangio
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:43:00 AM

Although auctioning other peoples property over bank loans or guarantees is considered kind of immoral in kenyan set up,the real issue lies in the form/status that the previous owners are left in. In the past,there were only few cases,but nowadays there are so many auctions around that they are now becoming a normal way of life or another type of clean business to the people with or without money...

the only problem with the auctioned property is if the previous owner has enough musscle to sustain an injunction in court....it becomes a night mare to the buyer...

NEVER TALK OF A RHINO IF THERE IS NO TREE NEAREBY - ZULU PROVERB
...besides, the presence of a safe alone does not signify that there is money inside...
Sasha
#9 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:53:00 AM

@Gizzard

Small correction but educate me if I'm wrong. If the previous owner can obtain an injunction, it would be to stop the auctioneer from selling the property. Once the auctioneer is allowed to sell the property, there's little the previous owner can do to stop the transfer of title! Unless ofcourse he/she knows someone at Lands office!

Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time!
Juma
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:07:00 AM

Skabz and anyone else bothered by conscience,look for houses that are defaulted but not on yet reached auction stage. Then give offers to owners - at less than or equal to market price.

You can get such contacts from the bank debt collection dept, bank debt collectors,lawyers,etc.
Kaigangio
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:09:00 AM

@ sasha,

I have seen a case where the auctioneer did the sale but the buyers could not have the property transfered into their names until the legality of the sale was determined by the court. this happened in Kiambu...the full details of what transpired between the original owners,the buyers and the court,those ones i cant tell coz idont know...but like i said anything is possible right here in kenya,just as long as you have the money..

...besides, the presence of a safe alone does not signify that there is money inside...
Mwafrikah
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:02:00 AM

there is no harm in participating in auctioned properties since fate has it that the would be 'owners' are not in a position to service the loans they had borrowed from banks and for one reason or the other no conscience can be forfeited for anyone's fate

=====

The fool folds his arms and consumes his own flesh. Better is one handful with tranquility than two with toil and a chase after wind!
wekaweka
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:03:00 PM

This is an interesting discussion,i would only refrain to buy land from auctioneers especially if the land is located in Meru or Kisii. But i' m looking for a second hand Lorry and i don't mind one through auctioneers. Sasha does your brother have one?
half_empty
#14 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:40:00 PM

no way.... unless i am buying to sell... no way i will be sitting comfy in an auction house while the displaced owner and his kin hate me to the marrow .... everyday praying for my demise.... its bad karma... buying a car is one thing... you drive away into the sunset but not property... remember this is kenya where thugs for hire are a dime a dozen... nothing the law can do about it
Wini the pooh
#15 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:41:00 PM

This is some business i would not hesitate doing....i think the question is,can one protect themselves from such people who even after their property has been auctioned would be reluctant to part with the docs....?

If i can protect myself from them,then i wouldn't mind doing the business. I have heard from people that it can be good. even in buying cars and house furniture
adept
#16 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:51:00 PM

I would buy anything else from an auction except real estate. I can relate to @Kaigangio's concern because I too have a relative (separate gene pool! hehe) that has tried to give hell to the new owner of a house that his bank sold following loan repayment default.

I would rather pay for real estate through my nose and sleep soundly thereafter than get a rock-bottom bargain and end up with restless nights after getting caught up in the cross-hairs of a fight that has nothing to do with me or my kin.

Maybe the approach for real estate would be to buy and dispose off at a profit almost immediately (you know,the KANU thing?) assuming you bought it at a ridiculous bargain and the documentation is air tight.
Bobb
#17 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:22:00 PM

Do the business bwana. Some go as low as 2M . You use like 200k to renovate and sell it at 3.8 or even 4M.

BOBB
pops
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:52:00 PM

my learned friends these auctions are all stage managed to get the best prices that the auctioneer can get. believe me you will not be able to bid fairly and buy a property unless you have cut a deal with the auctioneer before hand where u give him a percentage in advance to be favoured,and the balance is what you bid for. thats why the auction prices seem low,but in reality you pay more. trust me,i have been in the business for long. if you want to buy something,go and see the auctioneer first to cut a deal,then work out if its really worth the value. normally banks pass information onto their prefered clients long before the property is even advertised in the papers,and the auctioneers have already made the deals. that way the bank guy makes a cut and so does the auctioneer,and the client get his property using the same bank finance,so bank makes money also. that way everyone happy!
Kaigangio
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:07:00 PM

@ pops,

i dont get it...suppose i went to the auctioneer for property which i would like to spend say 2m. i cut the deal and hand the auctioneer again say 300k. this leaves the maximum bid from me of 1.7m. supposing during the material day another bidder bids 2.2m. where does that leave me???? Does it mean that the auctioneer will ignore the higher bid in my favour...highly unlikely.

skatotsi
#20 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:49:00 PM

Hi All,we discussed this some time back,it's high time some of us together with auctioneers set up a website to sell these properties to a wider market,just like it happens in most developed countries. This way the owners would have a chance to get more,the buyers would compete fairly,the bank would get the right money and the corrupt ones would have to look somewhere else for their shady deals.

Just a thought.

Mors Tua,Vita Mea. (latin)