wazua Sun, May 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Jimna Mbaru and Eldoret Stock Exchange.
Impunity
#1 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 8:53:00 AM

Will it see the light of the day?Ati an Eldoret Maize Exchange aka EME.I now believe that desperate times call for very very very desperate acts.

Which is more dirty,the pig or Kenyan mp?
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

eli
#2 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 11:49:00 AM

So what happens at EME? People buy and sell maize or what?

But you shall remember the LORD your God,for it is He who is giving you power to make wealth,that He may confirm His covenant which He swore to your fathers,as it is this day. Deu 8:18
Impunity
#3 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 12:12:00 PM

@eli.......its like u deposit your maize during the times of bamper harvest and u will be issued with a 'share cert' like document.Hold on till prices rise and go get farm input from NCPB at the current market price of the commodity and much much more which I didnt get right.

Anyone in the house with more details?????//

Which is more dirty,the pig or Kenyan mp?
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Gordon Gekko
#4 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 12:28:00 PM

Has worked very successfully for donkey years at Mercantile and Commodities Exchanges all over the world. It is amazing that Africa that claims to be agricultural has none.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodities_exchange
ddsimiyu
#5 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2009 2:30:00 PM

Doesn't NCPB not already do that by paying farmers late?. I think he wants to make Safaricom out of it!

Desiderious
caesar
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2009 3:53:00 AM

Mbaru has been a pioneer in developing financial markets in Kenya. Go! Jimnah
tajiri
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2009 7:57:00 AM

As usual,he has failed the NSE,conned loads of people and now moving to maize.... It was not a surprise that he was appointed head of NCPB the same week we hoped to channel KShs 7Bn thro ... Kuna fisi na fisi mkubwa
Wakanyugi
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 25, 2009 2:46:00 PM

This is a good idea that should have come long ago. I think those who are dismissing it are motivated by ignorance or hatred of the person who has mooted it. Ethiopia is already far ahead in establishing a grains exchange,yet their agricultural industry is less sophisticated than Kenya’s.

There are three huge benefits as I see it (there could be more):

1. A maize futures exchange will enable farmers to be 'paid' when they need the money,not when NCPB or Wakulima market is ready to buy. This removes one of the biggest barriers that farmers face - uncertainty.

2. By enabling many more people to invest in farming - without having to farm - such an exchange will increase the capital available to agriculture in a big way which will increase our food self sufficiency

3. Such a market could encourage land consolidation,which will reduce the inefficiencies of our current small-holder model.

Of course there are risks too. The market could become subject to speculation and all sorts of underhand doings as in the NSE. But we have experience from elsewhere to learn from.
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
mukiha
#9 Posted : Monday, April 27, 2009 6:07:00 AM

The future of agriculture is in a FUTURES EXCHANGE!!!!

At a time like now,when farmers are busy planting their crop,they should be holding onto contracts indicating exactly how much maize to produce and what price they will get per kilo-it is a tragedy that in the 21st century,farmers still sell their crop per bag!

Go Jimnah,GO!!!!
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
bwenyenye
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:26:00 AM

Good People,

I think it is a good idea to mobilize huge cash for the farmers as well as give future indications of prices. However,I think it is already in play. I went up country the other day and was being shown that the farmers are already striking deals while the produce is in the shamba. And the deals were struck by the Shamba and not by sacks. I think this is a good start and we will see more of it. I am told that even KBL and Tobaaco farmers have had this kind of arrangement for a while. I applaud Jimnah for making this thing formal and availing it to much more investors like us who prefer to blog instead of dirtying our hands in the shamba under the sun. We can now take the risk and make/ lose money on this while the farmer,the initiator is assured of proceeds.
I Think Therefore I Am
Obi 1 Kanobi
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:51:00 AM

A very good idea,like the chicago exchange,a commodities exchange is what the kenyan agricultural sector needs,I assume all consumable agric products will be traded,this has the potential to rival NSE in volume terms.

This is almost like farming insurance,where the farmer sells his products even before planting and shares risk with middlemen.

Good work Jimnah,please push it through.

P.S. Jimnah never forced anyone to buy Safcon,from the beginning we all new he was in it for the money,if the shares were overvalued or too many shares were floated,then all the blame needs to be placed on Kimunya nad the gava's doorstep.

I guess if you can't win with facts,you can always pen bile-laced,xenophobic rants to distract everyone.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins