wazua Mon, Apr 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Wellness check
deadpoet
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 08, 2023 10:23:46 AM

Has anyone ever gone for these annual male/female wellness checks? Prices range from 5k to 40k for different tests at different facilities.

Any experience with such scans, and any recommendations for hospitals/clinics?

I've never had one and don't have any health issues - just thinking it might be a worthwhile present for myself.
muganda
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2023 3:55:31 PM

All I can say is men are very stressful creatures to the fairer folk.

We all need to adopt female health-seeking behavior which is documented as more frequent, more preventative, and more adherent to advice smile
madhaquer
#3 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2023 6:20:44 PM

I went for one a few months back at Coptic Hospital.
The thing with this hospitals and doctors of ours is that they are wired to do the tests with an end goal of calling you sick and selling you a drug.
You move from one test to another (urine, blood, some scans) then you see a doc with your results and he makes a comment.

Mine said I had high cholesterol and very high uric acid infact I should have been limping as a result of gout. But i was feeling ok. He prescribed some meds, I just ignored the prescription and a few weeks later I popped into a lab and asked them to take a uric acid test. I was within normal range.

Note to self: Try a less busy place next time,
Note to others: If you have a family/personal doctor, stick to the guy or gal.
deadpoet
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2023 8:51:37 PM

Finally went for mine. Went to a place called Columbia Africa. It was my first ever check (never been hospitalized) so I didn't know what to expect. Got familiar with the different tests and what they entail.

Overall it was an interesting experience. Didn't have any problems aside from cholesterol (I was told to eat more nuts) and some gut bacteria that a single dose would fix.
vky
#5 Posted : Monday, October 02, 2023 2:14:22 AM

the human being is the only species on earth that has delegated its inherent sense of well being to the 'expert' that right there is the genesis of the human's health problems.
'One headache for famous medieval holy people was that someone might murder you to acquire your body parts for the relics trade'
Pedes
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 03, 2023 7:43:53 PM

vky wrote:
the human being is the only species on earth that has delegated its inherent sense of well being to the 'expert' that right there is the genesis of the human's health problems.

Applause
If you stay ready, no need to get ready.
deadpoet
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 04, 2023 12:13:22 PM

vky wrote:

Well, never thought I'd find someone advocating against health checkups.

Your comment also makes no sense. 1) human beings are the only species capable of delegating anything, 2) how does such delegation cause problems - healthwise in this case? 3) Why put 'expert' in quotes? specialized knowledge is useless?

You kind of remind me of a guy in wazua years ago who would always spew nonsensical babble expecting everyone to understand.
heri
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 08, 2023 8:39:18 AM

deadpoet wrote:
Finally went for mine. Went to a place called Columbia Africa. It was my first ever check (never been hospitalized) so I didn't know what to expect. Got familiar with the different tests and what they entail.

Overall it was an interesting experience. Didn't have any problems aside from cholesterol (I was told to eat more nuts) and some gut bacteria that a single dose would fix.

Well done. I have done mine religiously for the last 5 years . Once a year . While I find that the human body is very complex and sometimes they find one thing is off and next time something else, I value the tests. I think what eventually ails people sometimes does not just happen, it is a process and detecting it early is good. I never appreciated the benefits of some simple things like good sleep, reducing carbs, etc reducing stress ( not easy) until I started talking with my doctor