wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Mid Life Crisis?
MugundaMan
#1 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2022 8:11:05 PM

1. Who remembers envying the fact that their older siblings were heading to Booblay usiku? Sisi tulikuwa bado watoto wa nyayo. Hata Tusker export hatukuwa tunanjua ni nini. That club achieved almost mythical legendry. Then vanished just as quick!
2. A lady friend of mine reminded me about BOMBAX over a decade ago. Case of mistaken identity. She remembers me there but I never remember ever being there. Yet another club of mythic reputation.
3. I will never ever, ever, forget the day I hit Carni for the first time ever after high school. My frends, there is no feeling like being 17/18 and having just cleared high school and heading out to heng! Back then Splash was a big afte thing. And who can forget the "bonfire" with it's smoke! And the waiters with the trays that hung from their necks. As they served DAWAS! Those were the days my frends. Tusker exports were 50 bob each! I remember how when DJ Babz would angusha Gabrielle's DREAMS, that makuti roof would almost blow off. Or Gimme Luv (Eenie meenie minie moe). Who can forget this smash? Asubuhi we would always end up Moi Avenue Topaz for kuku and chibas. Was that the most delicious meal on earth or what?
4. Who remembers Conso Primo's was it games day? Mingi mingi circus games, throwing rings over bottles to win prizes. Halafu breakdancing compes! Those surely were the days. Where did they go?
5. Who remembers F2? Forget Madhouse which was just too crazy and ghetto sometimes. I remember the f2 dancefloor that would get super packed. And the smoke! Who can forget that artificial smoke hahahaha! Asubuhi when you would chuck from that place you would be stinking of it. Then midnight dances with ladies in formation shaking their bootays. Can you believe that was 27 years agoSad
6. Who remembers this club called Bowling Green at City Park that had afternoon jam sessions on weekends that was popular with youngsters? I am SHOCKED to find from a google search that hiyo mahali bado iko to date.
7. Visio Campus Nights jameni? Dj Aloys Gor Biro (RIP) Where did the years go? Anyone remember the two pumped bouncers in the black suits? Woe betide you if you letad nyokonyoko. Those guys would deal with you perpendicularly. The biggest crime. To be found smoking in the middle of the dance floor!
8. What was the name of that dingy pub at Ambassadeur? Very popular with campuserians
9. Who kumbuka's esto life? Crushes? Those mamas? I wonder where they are now. Probably grandmums by now!
10. Nyayo error. Imagine all those chaps are gone. Kamotho, Kanyingi, Ntimama Njonjo, Mo1 himself, Saitoti, Biwott. Name it. Shariff Nassir wapende wasipende. All gone!

Life is but vapour my friends. Wazee hukumbuka.

11. Who remembers the private school parties? And by the way why did private schoolers feel mwoto sana? Bure ghabisa ha ha ha ha there was nothing special about you guys and gals

12. awawawawwa how could I forget FLOODIES! Impala floodies way before Safari Sevens even existed!
MugundaMan
#2 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2022 8:47:38 PM

I remember floodies being a really major thing. Booze would flow like water at the bar afterwards. And then of course all roads would lead to Carni since it was a weekend and there was nowhere else worth going to. Hard to describe the excitement of that "long dusty road" from Langata rd up to the Carni entrance back then. It was a traffic jam of another order but at midnight!

And who remembers getting FROZEN for not having ID? hahahahahahahahaha those surely were the days
MugundaMan
#3 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2022 8:50:59 PM

And who remembers having to wait years to get into Campo? That sense of ideless and always looking for plots but never having enough money! Some of us even got part time jobos just to finance the revving!

And how come everything revolved in an around Nai? Was very rare to hear a plot ati i am going to Coasto for chrisi
MugundaMan
#4 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2022 8:56:13 PM

Who remembers 90s mat life?
Mats were an institution back then.
Woe betide you if you were seen climbing the wrong mat hahahahaha.

Westie Mats were well known. South C mats pia. Nairobi West as well! Kenwoods strictly and that bass would leave your ribcage shaking even after you had shukad!

We even used to panda mats just to tune chicks! And chicks would panda mats to be tuned!

Imagine your pal calling you at 9.30am on a Monday ati let's go to tao to catch a mat and find chicks hahahaha!

and back then there were OBOHOS. So walking ati in tao ati going sijui where was never a smooth affair. Anyone remember them?Sad

Na usijifanye with a nice hat. It would be snatched off quick especially if it was new!!

MugundaMan
#5 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2022 8:58:49 PM

Na who kumbukas shopping for clad at Kenyatta Market hahahahaha. The same clad and sneakers that Obohos would come for as soon as you were shining in them somewhere public!

And who remembers Kingfishers? Way before satchets!
MugundaMan
#6 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2022 9:04:10 PM

Finally who remembers those chaps who would return from majuu for hols. Those ones would feel even more mwotos than the private school crowd.

Loud school jerseys (ati Oklahoma State Uni) and you could tell them from ten miles away juu their clothes were too crisp and their weaves too on point to be the local ones we were used to seeing LOL!

And of course tweng ni hiyo hiyo. Yet some of them were working graveyard shift at McDees!

Life is a funny thing full of all sorts of ups and downs and things are never what they seem jameni.

Who remembers Carni Soul nite (Was it Sundays!)

Whenever I hear these song they take me back to those seemingly halcyon days.

https://soundcloud.com/s...ony-owiso/sets/soul-mix

MugundaMan
#7 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2022 9:29:58 PM

Ayayayayayaya how could I forget the world famous

JAY-KAYS AKA
jAKYES
aka
JK's second floor on the brick building on MPAKA RD way before Electric Avenue became a thing (and then disappeared too!)
Most people today are unaware that DJ PINYE first cut his teeth hapo 1994/1995.
I still remember the "cowboy saloon doors"
and the thumping music system.
Who remembers the pool tables?
That joint was the joint everyone stopped at BEFORE they hit Carni at midnight. These 5 songs will forever remind me of of that joint.

MugundaMan
#8 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2022 9:33:35 PM

And HOWWWWW on earth could I forget GREEN CORNER KARAOKE NIGHTS! smile

Green Corner had some serious eats by the way. A real classy joint before it disappeared forever like all the others!
MugundaMan
#9 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2022 10:04:44 PM

https://soundcloud.com/u...eroy-and-dj-babbs-1990s

DJ LEROY and DJ BABBS ORIGI MIX CARNI Friday night 1994! Just priceless, mayn! I feel this mix like I was there Drool
MugundaMan
#10 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2022 10:25:56 PM

man oh man a boatload of memories just unpacked off this one Drool
Receptor
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2022 5:55:11 PM

I recall vividly this jam blasting in a number 9 Rosa matatu named "Jiji Spoiler" circa 1990 before Somalis and Ethiopians took over the streets of Easitch(Eastleigh). The speakers were cased in mtungi's(Jerricans).

Eastleigh mats were strictly Rosa's.

Yep i remember Bombax, Libra house, Hotel 680 where campus guys and freshly employed guys would go for Sherehe after receiving boom and first salo. Tusker export would give me horrible hangy though.

Funny enough it was fashionable to kunywa only 4 tusker exports and that was enough.....talk about the virtue of temperance that most guys i know practiced back in the day. I also remember floodies, Carni soul night(Sundays with Paco Perez). Lots of memories man. Yes true, ujana ni moshi
MugundaMan
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2022 4:02:15 PM

Receptor wrote:

I recall vividly this jam blasting in a number 9 Rosa matatu named "Jiji Spoiler" circa 1990 before Somalis and Ethiopians took over the streets of Easitch(Eastleigh). The speakers were cased in mtungi's(Jerricans).

Yep i remember Bombax, Libra house, Hotel 680 where campus guys and freshly employed guys would go for Sherehe after receiving boom and first salo. Tusker export would give me horrible hangy though.

Funny enough it was fashionable to kunywa only 4 tusker exports and that was enough.....talk about the virtue of temperance that most guys i know practiced back in the day. I also remember floodies, Carni soul night(Sundays with Paco Perez). Lots of memories man. Yes true, ujana ni moshi

Awesome memories. Wawawawa I haven't heard that Stevie V Jam in decades! Reminds me of this one that used to rock Nairo dancelfoors quite seriously!

ha ha ha ha @ 4 Tusker Export temperance. Those surely were the days. I wonder why KBL discontinued such a popular brand! My Furahiday night was not complete without downing a few.

I also remember watching ex-MSO, Kenya high and Pango chicks grooving to this song;

When AlOYS would angusha it at Visions!

Those surely were the days.

You are so right, bro. Ujana ni moshi kabsaaaaaa
MugundaMan
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2022 4:07:50 PM

Receptor wrote:

Mat culture was super strong back then man. Nice memories about Jiji spoiler. Sisi on our route (23; Tao-westie-Ungem) we had TUFF GONG SENSI. Their bass would almost shatter windows of the surrounding cars. They had two pointy kondas who were my buddies kabisa. I wonder what ever happened to them. One of my homies from back then sent me a priceless photo of the same (below) a couple of years back!

Where did the time go?
The funny thing is when we were 17-19 we were in a hurry to turn 21. We thought 30 was old!
We should have slowed down and enjoyed those days to the fullest, man.

Receptor
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 30, 2022 9:48:47 AM

[quote=MugundaMan

Mat culture was super strong back then man. Nice memories about Jiji spoiler. Sisi on our route (23; Tao-westie-Ungem) we had TUFF GONG SENSI. Their bass would almost shatter windows of the surrounding cars. They had two pointy kondas who were my buddies kabisa. I wonder what ever happened to them. One of my homies from back then sent me a priceless photo of the same (below) a couple of years back!

Where did the time go?
The funny thing is when we were 17-19 we were in a hurry to turn 21. We thought 30 was old!
We should have slowed down and enjoyed those days to the fullest, man.

[/quote]

Yes, i can remember this Mat...SENSI aka TUFF GONG aka "Don't step on grass" plying route 22 Uthiru/Ungem.I forget the names of no. 23(Westy Ungem mats) that were quite popular those days.

There was this "Park and Chill" petro station in Westy where guys/cool kids used to park their motty's sana sana Toyota Starlets with loud music...i forget the name.

Those MSO, LCVR, Pango, Boma, Chox, BUSH girls, KOTET, STATO chilez kweli walituonesha mambo. I was dating one from Bush. I used to skive from my school and then skive into their school just to see her... only for her to relocate to the US of A a year after clearing high school leaving me holding feathers....puppy love is no joke.

Cheers to the good old days..
MugundaMan
#15 Posted : Tuesday, July 05, 2022 9:25:30 PM

Receptor wrote:

Yes, i can remember this Mat...SENSI aka TUFF GONG aka "Don't step on grass" plying route 22 Uthiru/Ungem.I forget the names of no. 23(Westy Ungem mats) that were quite popular those days.

There was this "Park and Chill" petro station in Westy where guys/cool kids used to park their motty's sana sana Toyota Starlets with loud music...i forget the name.

Those MSO, LCVR, Pango, Boma, Chox, BUSH girls, KOTET, STATO chilez kweli walituonesha mambo. I was dating one from Bush. I used to skive from my school and then skive into their school just to see her... only for her to relocate to the US of A a year after clearing high school leaving me holding feathers....puppy love is no joke.

Cheers to the good old days..

Ha ha ha ha ha you have an impeccable memory if you can remember even the nicknames of TUFF GONG SENSI! Good stuff bro.

Wawawa I had forgotten about KOBIL park and booze and blast zikis next to the Mall! If you had a pimped out (music system) Starlet back then you were de Kuyz! Where did those days go, man? That place is now OLA and barely recognisable.

Don’t get me started on the chickindees bro. Those two gap years after high school waiting to get into campo were definitely the best of my young life and not just because of them chiles. Seemed like we had all the time in the world. Halcyon, easy days, the chiles were hot and in their best shape. Every day was an adventure and there was always something interesting to do or look forward to!

Reminds me of the Billy Crystal movie City Slickers, coincidentally about a guy going through a midlife crisis. Where he’s lecturing kids during a school open day about life and telling them something to the effect thus; “enjoy these days of youth while you have them; because this is the best you will ever look, with the most energy physically you will ever have….it’s all downhill from here!”

I can literally write a 300 page book about those two dreamy gap years of mine!

I remember how on Sundays some of us would march with our buddies to church. Not for the sermon but for the tunable chiles hapo hapo. St Paul’s, St Marks, St Andrews, it didn’t matter. There was this kayoung lovely stunning beauty ex-LCVR with a slim shapely body designed by a Greek goddess that I had a crush on, who I would bump into from time to time but na macho tu, it never went further juu there were always too many mutual friends around.

We bumped into each other one time at the Saints IB plays that were popular back then at which ordinary non-private school raias like us were allowed to come view. That was another ka-serious plot back then. Honies galore. Funny how all of us youngsters would bump into each other frequently juu plots/hangout joints were few and well known and everybody knew about when and where the next one would be. But soon that puppy-crush faded.

Then came my crush on anaa ex-mso pointy chick was tooooooo fine ma broda. Sema spleng bin spleng. One Furahiday nite me and my homeboy (who lived in Parklands) were rolling around tao in his dad’s ancient vokii that of course he had stolen without permission. 12 midnight after hitting the usual watering holes we decided Visio was the place to be. Who remembers that “long dimly-lit flight of steps” upwards into the club? I can’t remember who was spinning but I do vividly remember THIS being played at some point.

Si visio had a kind of elevated section on both sides of the club by the walls where you could stand and dance and view the dancefloor kidogo ‘from above.’ As the music is thumping and the club is rocking properly, guess who shows up? The kachick. The kasqueeze. The kaspleng. The kasupuu. The kagirl with her equally supious buddy in tow. Grooving on the dancefloor shaking it huku na huku. You guy, fortified by the Tusker exports, I said that night I was not going to leave that club without approaching her and asking her out on a date…. So the pressure was on! Vokii stealer was no help, constantly shouting over the music that she was out of my league. Lakini nilikuwa nimeamua na mimi nikiamua ni hivo hivo. Wueeh Puppy love si mjezo.

Kumbuka "borrowing VHF tapes" at libus and from buddies? Or even Betamax ones if you were unfortunate enough to own a betamax video player?

What about "dubbing" music on Memorexes and TDK's that would sometimes get "chewed" by the boombox ha ha ha ha those surely were the days! This song I heard on a popular mixtape doing the rounds around Nai back then reminds me of those wonderful times and of hiyo ujana ya moshi!

The sands of time keep slipping through the hourglass of life regardless, man.

livie
#16 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2022 6:17:40 PM

My first club experience was at Club Boomerang, AKA Swothee, AKA Ainsworth....

Haven't come across a sound system that could match it to date.

Adams, Paco, Tubbs(rip), Georges
If you are going to be thinking only one thing, you might as well be thinking big. -Donald J . Trump