VituVingiSana
#81 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2022 12:37:20 AM

xtina wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
My 2 cents wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
littledove wrote:
what next for kengen?
Kengen MD, Rebecca Miano, named CS in charge of East African Community, Arid & Semi-arid areas.
of late share have experienced sustained foreign sales for several months

The replacement to be selected by the CS and in extension the president will give directions.
There are good replacements from the list of managers/directors that reported to the ND

Watch very closely who replaces Miano. The market knows something that we dont yet know.

The "K" in KPLC almost killed the firm.
Will KenGen face the same fate in years to come?

Miano seems to have run a clean show but will the next hyena?

More parastatals to be listed in the NSE. Is there a chance they will turn out as Safaricom or are more likely to be Mumias, KQ, KPLC types? Parastatals that should be listed:

1. KPA
2. KPC
3. Communications Authority
4. KENHA
5. KEPRA
Are you serious? #3 is a regulator. #4 is an agency. No idea about #5

Yes to #1 and #2 but only if it is transparent.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Extraterrestrial
#82 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2022 9:28:47 AM

Angels and demons are fighting on the plains of the Beulah Land. A qualified opinion must not be permitted. There is great darkness and fiery battles.
piedpiper
#83 Posted : Monday, November 07, 2022 7:41:40 PM

Dropping like a rock...time to load up or run far far away???...
Life is a beach and I'm just playing in the sand
VituVingiSana
#84 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2022 4:20:22 PM

piedpiper wrote:
Dropping like a rock...time to load up or run far far away???...

How has KPLC fared under CEOs from a certain backyard?
Now let's see who becomes the CEO (& board members) of KenGen.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
watesh
#85 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2022 9:15:45 AM

A disappointing dividend once again. Despite the 14bn in cash, shareholders will get a paltry 1.3bn. This can easily be funded with the interest income the company got from that 14bn cash they hold and the company hoards all the cash it generated from normal operations
littledove
#86 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2022 3:23:22 PM

watesh wrote:
A disappointing dividend once again. Despite the 14bn in cash, shareholders will get a paltry 1.3bn. This can easily be funded with the interest income the company got from that 14bn cash they hold and the company hoards all the cash it generated from normal operations

As an investor you are salivating for that 14b, but i dont think that 14b will be there for long. I have also been trying to get a piece of kengen at 3 unsuccessfully with the idea of 10% divided yield, but it seems as the price goes down the dividend also goes down, i have just witdrawn my orders. i think im slowly maturing in these streets of investment, dividend yield is becoming a key factor in my picks, except for housing finance which is a recovery stock
There are only two emotions in the stock market, fear and hope. The problem is, you hope when you should fear and fear when you should hope
Ericsson
#87 Posted : Thursday, December 01, 2022 7:08:31 AM

littledove wrote:
watesh wrote:

As an investor you are salivating for that 14b, but i dont think that 14b will be there for long. I have also been trying to get a piece of kengen at 3 unsuccessfully with the idea of 10% divided yield, but it seems as the price goes down the dividend also goes down, i have just witdrawn my orders. i think im slowly maturing in these streets of investment, dividend yield is becoming a key factor in my picks, except for housing finance which is a recovery stock

That ksh.14bn is for debt repayment and operations.
Their debt repayment is about ksh.13bn this financial year
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
kawi254
#88 Posted : Thursday, December 01, 2022 1:26:11 PM

Ericsson wrote:
littledove wrote:
watesh wrote:

Is the low dividend a way for Kengen to avoid the heavy compensating tax penalty if they redistribute the capital allowances on commissioning of the 86.3-megawatt Olkaria I Unit 6 geothermal power plant during the year that contributed to reduced income tax expense?

In 2016 Kengen got a demand of Sh 3.3 Billion compensating tax from KRA. Link
My 2 cents
#89 Posted : Thursday, December 01, 2022 3:20:39 PM

20 cents, same dividend as they paid in 2012; 10 years ago :(
Ericsson
#90 Posted : Thursday, December 01, 2022 5:53:27 PM

kawi254 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
littledove wrote:
watesh wrote:

Is the low dividend a way for Kengen to avoid the heavy compensating tax penalty if they redistribute the capital allowances on commissioning of the 86.3-megawatt Olkaria I Unit 6 geothermal power plant during the year that contributed to reduced income tax expense?

That law was ammended and they can pay dividends from it if I remember well.
That ksh.14bn is there a portion that is debt received awaiting deployment
VituVingiSana
#91 Posted : Friday, December 02, 2022 2:51:48 PM

My 2 cents wrote:
The same story for most of the "Kenya" firms that are GoK controlled.

Kenya Re's dividend (after accounting for the bonus) of 10c is embarrassing.
KPLC doesn't pay dividends.
VituVingiSana
#92 Posted : Friday, December 02, 2022 2:53:33 PM

Ericsson wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
littledove wrote:
watesh wrote:

Wasn't that amendment specific to that year or distribution?
Ericsson
#93 Posted : Friday, December 02, 2022 11:34:37 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
kawi254 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
littledove wrote:
watesh wrote:

Wasn't that amendment specific to that year or distribution?

That year going forward
Ericsson
#94 Posted : Friday, December 02, 2022 11:39:19 PM

watesh wrote:

For 2022/2023, the company looks to kick off the redevelopment of a forty-year-old 45MW Olkaria I geothermal power plant to give it a new lease of life and boost its capacity to more than 50MW as well as the uprating of Olkaria I Additional Units 4 & 5 and Olkaria IV. This project seeks to grow the capacity of the two geothermal power stations from the current 280MW to 320MW.
Ericsson
#95 Posted : Saturday, December 03, 2022 7:08:13 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
My 2 cents wrote:
The same story for most of the "Kenya" firms that are GoK controlled.

Kenya Re's dividend (after accounting for the bonus) of 10c is embarrassing.
KPLC doesn't pay dividends.

And the board and CEO are happy with this (both Kengen and Kenya Re).
So sad state of affairs.
The outgoing CEO now a CS is not as clean as people say and portrait been presented.
Kusadikika
#96 Posted : Tuesday, December 06, 2022 3:30:01 PM

What is that 65 billion "other comprehensive income" on the Kengen statement? It does not seem to affect taxation or cash.
My 2 cents
#97 Posted : Tuesday, December 06, 2022 9:07:26 PM

Kusadikika wrote:
What is that 65 billion "other comprehensive income" on the Kengen statement? It does not seem to affect taxation or cash.

I don't trust the parastatal numbers. At all. The numbers always seem massaged.
Ericsson
#98 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2022 7:59:38 PM

watesh wrote:

One week later no update on book closure and AGM date
kawi254
#99 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2022 9:01:41 PM

Ericsson wrote:
watesh wrote:

It is almost like they don't have the liquid cash to pay the dividend.

How does that big South African pension fund stomach holding shares in KenGen?. Our own NSSF sold KenGen before the decline started.
My 2 cents
#100 Posted : Wednesday, December 07, 2022 10:22:32 PM

kawi254 wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
watesh wrote:

It is almost like they don't have the liquid cash to pay the dividend.

How does that big South African pension fund stomach holding shares in KenGen?. Our own NSSF sold KenGen before the decline started.

Same way the Kenyans that bought at IPO are stomaching.

Year 2006 - IPO price Kes 11.90 per share

Year 2022 - 16 years later current price 3.20 per share