wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
What can i do with 8-9 Million in Kenya?
Fullykenyan
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 07, 2020 1:43:39 PM

A lot has been going through my mind of late. In my bank account,i have about 8-9 Million. However, where I live, banks don't offer any interest rates. I have thought of adding this money, to what I already have, in shares and bonds, however, something in me wants to invest in residential houses for renting. My questions to wazuans, what can i manage to put up with money?. I am willing to add another 2-4 Million to make it 12 Million, if need be
Gathige
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 07, 2020 3:54:26 PM

Fullykenyan wrote:
A lot has been going through my mind of late. In my bank account,i have about 8-9 Million. However, where I live, banks don't offer any interest rates. I have thought of adding this money, to what I already have, in shares and bonds, however, something in me wants to invest in residential houses for renting. My questions to wazuans, what can i manage to put up with money?. I am willing to add another 2-4 Million to make it 12 Million, if need be

If I were you,

i. Buy 3 acres of land in a one of the growing Nbi suburbs @ approx 3.5 per acre @ total 10.5 m. Assume an additional 500k as brokers fees, total cost 11m

ii. Subdivide the land into 21 portions, assume a processing fee of 50k per portion, total approx 1 m.

iii. Wait for about about 1 yr and start disposing the plots. Each portion target 800k-1m. Assume you dispose over a period of 1 yr. Uisng the lower rate of 800k, you can target to realize 16.8m

iv. Overall, you would make at least a 40% return over two years.

"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Fullykenyan
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 07, 2020 5:48:25 PM

Gathige wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

If I were you,

i. Buy 3 acres of land in a one of the growing Nbi suburbs @ approx 3.5 per acre @ total 10.5 m. Assume an additional 500k as brokers fees, total cost 11m

ii. Subdivide the land into 21 portions, assume a processing fee of 50k per portion, total approx 1 m.

iii. Wait for about about 1 yr and start disposing the plots. Each portion target 800k-1m. Assume you dispose over a period of 1 yr. Uisng the lower rate of 800k, you can target to realize 16.8m

very good advice. This never crossed my mind before
deadpoet
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 07, 2020 6:39:24 PM

Fullykenyan wrote:
Gathige wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

If I were you,

very good advice. This never crossed my mind before

I'm sorry, I just have to comment that the above advice is not productive at all, in the sense of generating lasting wealth.
tinker
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 07, 2020 7:42:24 PM

Fullykenyan wrote:

I met someone who was very interesting. His school of thought was that no investment is bad as long as you enjoy doing what you do, and you would still do it even if there is no pay or returns.
....follow your passion/instinct/inner-voice.

Another thing about residential rental, location is key. If I were you I'd spend 70% of your available cash (10M) ...or more to secure good location then nijenge pole pole.
....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..
amorphous
#6 Posted : Sunday, November 08, 2020 6:20:41 AM

Fullykenyan wrote:

This storo is not adding up.
1.You do not know the exact amount you have?
2.What is the source of the additional "2-4" that you will "add"

Answer me that and then I can help you achieve all your dreams Drool
Age and family mellows us all over time
Fullykenyan
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 08, 2020 12:32:39 PM

amorphous wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

This storo is not adding up.
1.You do not know the exact amount you have?
2.What is the source of the additional "2-4" that you will "add"

Answer me that and then I can help you achieve all your dreams Drool

What i meant with my cash being between 8-9 million, was me trying saying how much i have without going into much details. My money is in Euros. The extra 2-4 Million would come from selling part of my shares and bonds. I am also not shy to get a loan, if the loan would be relatively cheaper in the long run
Fullykenyan
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 08, 2020 12:34:11 PM

tinker wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

I met someone who was very interesting. His school of thought was that no investment is bad as long as you enjoy doing what you do, and you would still do it even if there is no pay or returns.
....follow your passion/instinct/inner-voice.

Another thing about residential rental, location is key. If I were you I'd spend 70% of your available cash (10M) ...or more to secure good location then nijenge pole pole.

Thanks for this perspective.
amorphous
#9 Posted : Monday, November 09, 2020 2:35:41 AM

Fullykenyan wrote:

What i meant with my cash being between 8-9 million, was me trying saying how much i have without going into much details. My money is in Euros. The extra 2-4 Million would come from selling part of my shares and bonds. I am also not shy to get a loan, if the loan would be relatively cheaper in the long run

Ahaa! Now the picture makes very good sense and is quite clear.

My advice;
1. Make a bee-line for where else but Jewel In the Crown, DC
2. Buy a 1/4 acre plot in any of its top estos for about 4m.
3. Build with the balance
4. If you are greedy and impatient, sell as expeditiously as possible for a few measly millions in profit
5. If you are smart, get a tenant and sit for about 20 to 30 years and then thank me later.

Ni hayo tu.
Swenani
#10 Posted : Monday, November 09, 2020 10:06:45 AM

Fullykenyan wrote:

Go to the nearest bar and drink,keep drinking until you get a solid idea.

If you don't know what to do with the cash. Pack it in a fixed deposit a/c . Hii mambo ya kuchukua ideas from online strangers doesn't work
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Swenani
#11 Posted : Monday, November 09, 2020 10:08:31 AM

Gathige wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

If I were you,

Where are these suburbs?
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
maka
#12 Posted : Monday, November 09, 2020 3:19:20 PM

Swenani wrote:
Gathige wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

If I were you,

Where are these suburbs?

Ummmh you will kwama with those plots hadi 2030.
possunt quia posse videntur
winmak
#13 Posted : Monday, November 09, 2020 3:53:42 PM

maka wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Gathige wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

If I were you,

Where are these suburbs?

Ummmh you will kwama with those plots hadi 2030.

Touche

Am sure most wazuan and most upwardly middle class have this line of thinking (some plot laying idle somewhere waiting to appreciate) quail-scenario
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
the deal
#14 Posted : Monday, November 09, 2020 7:27:03 PM

Fullykenyan wrote:

Why not buy shares of blue chip companies at the NSE? Covid-19 will come and pass...stocks will bounce back...high chance you triple your money in the next 5 years...

Real estate wont work with this small amount...
newfarer
#15 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 11:06:48 AM

the deal wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

Why not buy shares of blue chip companies at the NSE? Covid-19 will come and pass...stocks will bounce back...high chance you triple your money in the next 5 years...

Wacha wewe.this is a lot of money for real estate .some of us started with less than 2% of that amount and so far so good.
Shares are for the steel hearted.10 years down the lane investment in land has been more fulfilling than shares.

Fullykenyan go to a place like kangundo road in a cosmopolitan shopping centre ,get a plot at 3million ,build rental houses with shops on the ground floor.if you get a good construction team that will not steal from you ,you can have a decent 5-storey rental house with 15- 2bedroom units at 12m-15m .this will give you a generational inheritance to you and your kids
punda amecheka
amorphous
#16 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 11:17:07 AM

newfarer wrote:
the deal wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

Wacha wewe.this is a lot of money for real estate .some of us started with less than 2% of that amount and so far so good.
Shares are for the steel hearted.10 years down the lane investment in land has been more fulfilling than shares.

Fullykenyan go to a place like kangundo road in a cosmopolitan shopping centre ,get a plot at 3million ,build rental houses with shops on the ground floor.if you get a good construction team that will not steal from you can have a reasonable 5storey rental house with 15 2bedroom units at 12m-15m .this will give you a generational inheritance to you and your kids

Are you sure?
If yes, I need the name of your foreman and materials suppliers prontoDrool
amorphous
#17 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 11:19:41 AM

the deal wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

Real estate wont work with this small amount

Are you sure?
If yes, I need to know the name of the planet you are on outside this earth where these things are not possibo, so I can pay you a visit Drool
newfarer
#18 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 11:20:31 AM

amorphous wrote:
newfarer wrote:
the deal wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

Fullykenyan go to a place like kangundo road in a cosmopolitan shopping centre ,get a plot at 3million ,build rental houses with shops on the ground floor.if you get a good construction team that will not steal from you can have a reasonable 5storey rental house with 15 2bedroom units at 12m-15m .this will give you a generational inheritance to you and your kids

Are you sure?
If yes, I need the name of your foreman and materials suppliers prontoDrool

Most of the cash in construction goes to waste -theft.Structure is the easiest ,the hardest deal is the finishing.But this can be done polepole.with 12-15m the job will be substantially done.if you want to get more aesthetically then you spend much more.
punda amecheka
amorphous
#19 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 11:23:31 AM

newfarer wrote:

Most of the cash in construction goes to waste -theft.Structure is the easiest ,the hardest deal is the finishing.But this can be done polepole.with 12-15m the job will be substantially done.if you want to get more aesthetically the you spend much more.

- How many apartments per floor?
- Plinth area per apartment?
Answer me those and we will separate the possible from impossible regarding your claim Drool
newfarer
#20 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2020 11:36:17 AM

amorphous wrote:
newfarer wrote:

Most of the cash in construction goes to waste -theft.Structure is the easiest ,the hardest deal is the finishing.But this can be done polepole.with 12-15m the job will be substantially done.if you want to get more aesthetically the you spend much more.

- How many apartments per floor?
- Plinth area per apartment?
Answer me those and we will separate the possible from impossible regarding your claim Drool

You can work with 80sqm with 3 units per floor.Basic but not substandard finishing.getting above foundation in black cotton soil and the slab are the most costly parts of the structure.walls cost much less.

Assuming each slab floor cost 1.5million and the walls 1million .the structure will total to 12.5 million I would give finishing another 6 million at most . Finishing can be done as letting to tenants is ongoing so you can recoup some cash to complete some floors if cash sources dry up
punda amecheka