wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Building an apartment complex. Too good to be true?
amorphous
#1 Posted : Monday, March 09, 2020 8:03:46 AM

Just got a quote from a contractor as follows:

Plot size necessary for apartments : 1/8th
Total plinth approx 1300 sqm
16 units of 2br @ 70 sqm each
construction period: 50 weeks
Total cost 15,600,000 meaning 12k per sqm!
Sad Sad Sad
Is this possible or am I dealing with a con company
The final design (wish I could upload) looks very nice!
In fact if this is true I want to get started immediately.
Age and family mellows us all over time
shocks
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2020 8:02:37 PM

amorphous wrote:

Sad Sad Sad

tell them to break down that cost and agree on specifications for the works. how are payment terms, are you paying upfront?
tinker
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2020 10:24:51 AM

shocks wrote:
amorphous wrote:

Sad Sad Sad

tell them to break down that cost and agree on specifications for the works. how are payment terms, are you paying upfront?

I won't mind to get the best deal in the market. But do due deligence before signing-up.
Ask for the projects they have completed in the recent past and talk to the owner or ask around.

Then, consider working with them in phases such as, Up to foundation, then up to ground floor etc,etc.
....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..
amorphous
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2020 10:34:00 AM

shocks wrote:
amorphous wrote:

Sad Sad Sad

I always pay by phase as tinker has advised above.
I think these guys are a scam. Ati 5 floors, three shops ground, 4 apartments per upper floor, including finishes for every single apartment, plumbing and electrical Laughing out loudly Haiwezekani kabisa. I think these guys low ball the bid then when construction starts they say "pesa imeisha" and ask for more and more and more each stage.
amorphous
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2020 10:41:38 AM

tinker wrote:
shocks wrote:
amorphous wrote:

Sad Sad Sad

I won't mind to get the best deal in the market. But do due deligence before signing-up.
Ask for the projects they have completed in the recent past and talk to the owner or ask around.

Then, consider working with them in phases such as, Up to foundation, then up to ground floor etc,etc.

Great tips, thanks.
My game plan is to get all approvals including change of user then build in stages.
1. Ground floor shops (stalls, small restaurant and small duka) and caretakers apartment
2. Connect water and stima and move into caretakers apartment. Construction accesss will be from back of the building.
3. Rent out home I am currently living in to turbo boost income so that construction keeps going without interruption each month.
4. Rent out stalls and shops for same reason as 3 above
5. As each floor completes, flood with tenants and repeat until complete
6. Roof will be for tanks and clothes lines and small playground area for kids.

I plan to take no loans whatsoever, just finance from savings.

Any suggestions, tweaks or tips to this plan?
Thanks in advance..

VituVingiSana
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2020 10:47:07 AM

amorphous wrote:
tinker wrote:
shocks wrote:
amorphous wrote:

Sad Sad Sad

Great tips, thanks.
My game plan is to get all approvals including change of user then build in stages.
1. Ground floor shops (stalls, small restaurant and small duka) and caretakers apartment
2. Connect water and stima and move into caretakers apartment. Construction accesss will be from back of the building.
3. Rent out home I am currently living in to turbo boost income so that construction keeps going without interruption each month.

Thanks in advance..
Can you get an occupancy certificate while construction is ongoing?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
amorphous
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2020 10:54:30 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:

Vituvingisana,
This is Kenya. Whether you follow the rules or not. NCA and the County will always come for their pound of flesh. I am sure you have seen so many half finished apartment buildings fully occupied all over Kenya. At least I am going for all approvals. Others do not even bother.
tinker
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 11, 2020 7:23:20 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
amorphous wrote:
tinker wrote:
shocks wrote:
amorphous wrote:

Sad Sad Sad

Great tips, thanks.

Thanks in advance..

Uko sawa buda if you can finance apartment construction "non-stop" from your savings.
Regarding occupying ground floor and other subsequent floor without roof means you have to deal with shutter leakages during rainy seasons and by extension paint wearing.
....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..
amorphous
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2020 6:02:40 AM

tinker wrote:

Uko sawa buda if you can finance apartment construction "non-stop" from your savings.
Regarding occupying ground floor and other subsequent floor without roof means you have to deal with shutter leakages during rainy seasons and by extension paint wearing.

Noted with thanks
winmak
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2020 7:38:30 AM

amorphous wrote:
shocks wrote:
amorphous wrote:

Sad Sad Sad

I always pay by phase as tinker has advised above.
I think these guys are a scam. Ati 5 floors, three shops ground, 4 apartments per upper floor, including finishes for every single apartment, plumbing and electrical Laughing out loudly Haiwezekani kabisa. I think these guys low ball the bid then when construction starts they say "pesa imeisha" and ask for more and more and more each stage.

Was also thinking the same. Idea being once you commit to them, they will keep pulling surprises at every stage
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
VituVingiSana
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2020 9:15:02 AM

amorphous wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Vituvingisana,
This is Kenya. Whether you follow the rules or not. NCA and the County will always come for their pound of flesh. I am sure you have seen so many half finished apartment buildings fully occupied all over Kenya. At least I am going for all approvals. Others do not even bother.
Be careful. These guys can come down hard.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
amorphous
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2020 10:26:35 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
amorphous wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Vituvingisana,

Yes bro. Hawa watu ni majambazi. Last time I complied kapsaa with every jot and tittle in the law thinking niko safe. Wapi? First the County guys came and carted off my fundis saying reflectors were not proper size na kadhalika. Then NCA guys drove in at top speed and shut the site down a few months later saying foremen was not on a properly balanced scaffold and was thus endangering his life and the life of others as well. You simply cannot win against jambazis, as you know. If they come and say the keying on your wall is not 100% straight huwezi jibu kitu. You already know what they want na hawatoki mpaka ulipe ushuru ndio wajitegemee.
webish
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2020 10:53:18 AM

amorphous wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
amorphous wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Vituvingisana,

Yes bro. Hawa watu ni majambazi. Last time I complied kapsaa with every jot and tittle in the law thinking niko safe. Wapi? First the County guys came and carted off my fundis saying reflectors were not proper size na kadhalika. Then NCA guys drove in at top speed and shut the site down a few months later saying foremen was not on a properly balanced scaffold and was thus endangering his life and the life of others as well. You simply cannot win against jambazis, as you know. If they come and say the keying on your wall is not 100% straight huwezi jibu kitu. You already know what they want na hawatoki mpaka ulipe ushuru ndio wajitegemee.

Woow!!
d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

Life is joy, death is peace, but the transition is very difficult.
newfarer
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2020 1:24:31 PM

amorphous wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
amorphous wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Vituvingisana,

Sithole manenos
punda amecheka
Taurrus
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2020 6:28:12 PM

newfarer wrote:
amorphous wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
amorphous wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Vituvingisana,

Sithole manenos

Such things don't happen where citizens are licensed to carry big Guns!
NewMoney
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 12, 2020 9:54:18 PM

amorphous wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
amorphous wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Vituvingisana,

And this is why I will never get into real estate development... happy to pay the premium and get completed units and live my life peacefully... without having to engage in monkey business
amorphous
#17 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2020 12:26:50 PM

NewMoney wrote:
amorphous wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
amorphous wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Vituvingisana,

And this is why I will never get into real estate development... happy to pay the premium and get completed units and live my life peacefully... without having to engage in monkey business

True but you will be paying double cost. My mistake was to refuse to pay the "upfront taxes" at the time of approvals as recommended by architect. Thats why they landed on me like a ton of bricks. Its like being stopped by a cop for no reason on the road. Will you stick to your super high moral principles and risk weekend ndani being munched by lice among beady eyed mahabusu or pay your due taxes and continue with your safari? This is Kenya, most people just want to avoid the inconvenience.
FRM2011
#18 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2020 1:57:07 PM

amorphous wrote:

Sad Sad Sad

Our in-house architect @A4architect had covered this topic of costs exhaustively a while back.
His lower figure was 15K/sqm for basic finishes.
It is possible your guys aren't wrong.
amorphous
#19 Posted : Friday, March 13, 2020 5:14:09 PM

FRM2011 wrote:
amorphous wrote:

Sad Sad Sad

Our in-house architect @A4architect had covered this topic of costs exhaustively a while back.
His lower figure was 15K/sqm for basic finishes.
It is possible your guys aren't wrong.

15k and up per sqm makes more sense for extremely bare bones finishes. I was looking at medium level finishes thats why 12k per sqm is a ridiculous figure.
amorphous
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2020 7:04:52 AM

A small question. How do these owners of multiple flats dispose their waste given sewer line is a myth in much of the suburbs of Nairobi? Ordinary septic? I would imagine that would need an exhauster almost every week ama? I hope they do not dump their waste on the streets or nearby rivers!