wazua Thu, May 2, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123
Billionaires shouldn't exist
tycho
#41 Posted : Saturday, November 30, 2019 6:57:57 AM

Metaur wrote:
I understand that people grudge billionaires, as they understand that they don't need so much money. Frankly, a lot of billionaires made their fortunes with dirty, from the law point, methods. But you need to fight not with billionaires, but with law gaps that allow them to make such fortunes. If a billionaire made money with own skills, then this is excellent.

It may be important for us to consider how we argue and think about billionaires. This is because lack of rigor may leave us not only far from being billionaires, but also far from creating just societies.

We need to recall that the issue of 'billionaires' isn't so much about the quantity but the exclusiveness and huge wealth disparities.

As such my proposition is that we shouldn't have such exclusive institutions especially where they tend to overpower government and subvert economic systems to their ends.

If billionaires can subvert both government and economies then a population gets worse off with their presence. Billionaires determine directions of investments and entrepreneurship - eg. Space X is funded under a billionaire view that may be nihilistic.

Billions can never be made by labor/economic skill alone. In fact economies can never be made by skill alone. Other factors like philosophy and aspiration may even come before skill.

Therefore, billionaires are at best, an unnecessary good/evil - whichever you may choose. And that the law changes you're talking about necessarily entail challenging the billionaire class. What we need to do is as the BBI recommends: reconsider the validity of our ethical systems.
Sagamand863
#42 Posted : Tuesday, December 03, 2019 8:27:49 PM

I will not agree that billionaires pose any threat to society or to any particular country. If a person has been able to reach the heights of a business by his own efforts, this is an achievement that deserves praise. I am not talking now about the billions that have been obtained through illegal actions. But there are owners of car manufacturers or restaurateurs who do a good job and make good money from it. You can read on the Internet how many rich people are engaged in charity, they save the sick, help orphans and the elderly, not everyone goes into politics. There are many decent people who earn money and share it with others.