wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

38 Pages«<2425262728>»
Safaricom 2019/2020
sparkly
#501 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2020 5:17:11 PM

xtina wrote:
I boarded matatus and offered to pay by MPESA. All the condas refused, infact in one case I was politely asked to leave the mat if I don't have cash, which I did. In the other case, the conda shouted to the other passengers that they will not accept MPESA.

It seems hii mambo ya kulipa fare na MPESA will not be easy, matatu guys are simply stuck to their ways.

The matatu industry is special. Mpesa is now a universal payment system in Kenya. Si ata Ndege tunalipa na mpesa?
Life is short. Live passionately.
VituVingiSana
#502 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2020 6:59:35 PM

sparkly wrote:
xtina wrote:
I boarded matatus and offered to pay by MPESA. All the condas refused, infact in one case I was politely asked to leave the mat if I don't have cash, which I did. In the other case, the conda shouted to the other passengers that they will not accept MPESA.

It seems hii mambo ya kulipa fare na MPESA will not be easy, matatu guys are simply stuck to their ways.

The matatu industry is special. Mpesa is now a universal payment system in Kenya. Si ata Ndege tunalipa na mpesa?
It's one thing paying 4k+ by M-Pesa and another paying 20-100 using M-Pesa.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
sparkly
#503 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2020 7:03:27 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
xtina wrote:

No difference! I use Mpesa at the kiosk, shoe shine, barbershop, mama mboga and many other micro businesses.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Ericsson
#504 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2020 10:43:24 AM

[quote=murchr]The pioneer of a mobile-banking revolution in sub-Saharan Africa is in talks with financial-services providers about expanding its offerings over the next five years, as it seeks to emulate the success of Ant Group’s Alipay.

Safaricom, which has announced plans to bid for one of two Ethiopian telecommunication licenses that are up for grabs, is reviewing tender documents that the neighboring state sent out to interested companies last week, Ndegwa said. Ethiopia’s government has refused to allow the immediate introduction of M-Pesa or similar platforms by the companies that bag the coveted permits.

“There are things we want to get right,” he said. “One is the mobile-money license. At the moment it is not clear at what point it will be opened up, although the government has said within three years.”

While Ndegwa doesn’t expect the company will make “a lot of money” during the first five years of its Ethiopian investment, the Horn of Africa market, which has Africa’s second-biggest population, would be a “significant growth driver” should Safaricom win a license, he said.

https://www.bloomberg.co...d-into-money-management[/quote]

Apart of the mobile money license they should also be allowed to lay their own fiber optic cable and put up towers
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
VituVingiSana
#505 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2020 12:43:38 PM

sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
xtina wrote:

No difference! I use Mpesa at the kiosk, shoe shine, barbershop, mama mboga and many other micro businesses.
To pay for a shoe shine? Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Sawa.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Monk
#506 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2020 9:23:03 PM

sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
xtina wrote:

You have CBK enforced waivers to thank for that. Before Covid, every single one of those micro businesses insisted I send them "pesa za kutoa", if i wanted to pay by M-pesa. From Jan2021, they'll revert back. Effectively, only the middle class, (about 30% of the population?) pays M-pesa fees. I would like to see the low income guys buy goods from you via "Pay Bill" with a fee, when they have the option to pay by cash.
VituVingiSana
#507 Posted : Thursday, December 24, 2020 11:59:10 PM

Monk wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
xtina wrote:

You have CBK enforced waivers to thank for that. Before Covid, every single one of those micro businesses insisted I send them "pesa za kutoa", if i wanted to pay by M-pesa. From Jan2021, they'll revert back. Effectively, only the middle class, (about 30% of the population?) pays M-pesa fees. I would like to see the low income guys buy goods from you via "Pay Bill" with a fee, when they have the option to pay by cash.
That's a great point. Anything more than 100/- attracted a fee. Even the 100/- transactions were restricted (3?) per day. It was a freebie from Safaricom but not sustainable unless subsidized by other users or transactions.

For me it is easier to pay 50 or 100 [I carry those just in case] than go through the M-Pesa process.
murchr
#508 Posted : Monday, December 28, 2020 5:29:41 PM

David Bowie was so right!
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Ericsson
#509 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2020 3:14:27 PM

https://www.businessdail...us-huawei-fight-3241758

5G not anytime soon
Angelica _ann
#510 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2020 4:39:49 PM

Ericsson wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/bd/corporate/companies/safaricom-freezes-5g-amid-us-huawei-fight-3241758

5G not anytime soon

US vs China trade disputes spillover!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Ericsson
#511 Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2020 11:30:43 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/bd/corporate/companies/safaricom-freezes-5g-amid-us-huawei-fight-3241758

5G not anytime soon

Not true.
Resources including money is being reserved for Ethiopia entry.
4G utilisation is still low, so no need to put 5G which will have even lower utilization.
Angelica _ann
#512 Posted : Friday, January 01, 2021 2:17:22 PM

Safaricom voice market share increases to 64pc.

https://www.businessdail...4pc-3243742?view=htmlamp
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
murchr
#513 Posted : Sunday, January 03, 2021 1:06:15 AM

Ericsson wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

5G not anytime soon

Not true.
4G utilisation is still low, so no need to put 5G which will have even lower utilization.

That would be a mistake. Ndegwa said the pause is for the short term, clearly they want to monitor the Huawei US relations going forward.

In the meantime, maybe it's time they started downsizing on 2G
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
VituVingiSana
#514 Posted : Sunday, January 03, 2021 6:14:17 AM

murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

5G not anytime soon

Not true.

That would be a mistake. Ndegwa said the pause is for the short term, clearly they want to monitor the Huawei US relations going forward.

Does Saf still have 2G anywhere but the most remote spots where usage might be very low?

Even my kabambe shows 3G at a minimum.
Ericsson
#515 Posted : Sunday, January 03, 2021 9:06:03 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

5G not anytime soon

Not true.

Does Saf still have 2G anywhere but the most remote spots where usage might be very low?

2G is for your voice,sms and Mpesa
Ericsson
#516 Posted : Sunday, January 03, 2021 9:07:34 AM

murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

5G not anytime soon

Not true.

Let's wait and see
murchr
#517 Posted : Sunday, January 03, 2021 6:53:26 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

5G not anytime soon

Not true.

They still do, all that 2G can do, 3G can perform better. That will also be another way of pushing people towards smarter phones.
Ericsson
#518 Posted : Sunday, January 03, 2021 7:06:27 PM

murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

5G not anytime soon

Not true.

They still do, all that 2G can do, 3G can perform better. That will also be another way of pushing people towards smarter phones.

Pushing people to smarter phones is a way of increasing utilisation of 4G.
Currently very underutilized.
At the towers you'll find 2G,3G and 4G equipment,even in newer ones.
murchr
#519 Posted : Sunday, January 03, 2021 7:42:07 PM

Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

5G not anytime soon

Not true.

Pushing people to smarter phones is a way of increasing utilisation of 4G.
Currently very underutilized.
At the towers you'll find 2G,3G and 4G equipment,even in newer ones.

Nope. If you have a smart phone, your phone will connect to whichever band is available in your locality. Most bands in Urban areas for Safaricom are 4G (LTE) but that lacks in rural areas where 3G(UMTS) and 2G(GSM) bands are common. Having a good smart phone 4G enabled in such areas is a waste since the user is not using their phone optimumly. If they downsize and eventually shut 2G down, they can re-use that spectrum to advance instead of buying more spectrum from govt.

Also having a smartphone using Airtel is useless. Hence the reason those people keep complaining.

Globally, 2G was completely shut down in 2020 in US
VituVingiSana
#520 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2021 10:23:47 AM

https://www.businessdail...atform-contract-3247192