Middle class endeni pale NTV. Interesting feature by Okari

You're taking chemicals. If you want nyama, follow the flies
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Ryko
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2019 10:21:00 PM

Lolest! wrote:

In Kenya you can live long leaving in Ushago than in the city.
I work so I can afford the amount of alcohol required to continue going to work
hardwood
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2019 11:02:24 PM

I have watched the NTV documentary and i can say that it is very poorly researched and therefore alarmist. Sodium metabisulphate is a food preservative that is used worldwide in the food industry eg in soft drinks, juices, beer, wine, sausages, burgers etc. You can confirm this on the food/drink package labeling which normally indicates that the food contains sodium metabisulphite or contains sulphites. The chemical basically prevents the growth of bacteria and fungi on the foods thus increasing the shelf life. NTV should have focused on the concentrations used to see if they exceed the allowable WHO limits.

https://en.wikipedia.org...ki/Sodium_metabisulfite

FYI even in the local butcheries, some spray the meat with the chemical and that why the meat looks very red and "fresh" for so long despite it not being refrigerated.
murchr
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2019 11:25:27 PM

The documentary clearly stated that its a preservative but how is it used was the question. Should a local butcher use it without stating the concentration? Should I as a consumer be informed?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
hardwood
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2019 11:36:43 PM

murchr wrote:
The documentary clearly stated that its a preservative but how is it used was the question. Should a local butcher use it without stating the concentration? Should I as a consumer be informed?

My issue is that they were condemning supermarkets for using the preservative while they (Nation) have reported in the past that the chemical is widely used by even the small butcheries.

https://www.nation.co.ke...93692-bxwv2r/index.html

That said the chemical should not be used in unprocessed meat. Is minced meat processed?

Also do you expect the local butcher to tell you he has used the preservative?
Bigchick
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2019 11:38:45 PM

Have watched the feature and am afraid I read malice and business rivalry between fresh meat dealers and the supermarket meat dealers.

1.Emphasis on supermarkets was too high as though they are the only traders in meat.The insider says meat not sold in 5 days is supplied to their kitchen for beef stew and pilau etc.

2.The chemical has been described as a food preservative meaning it is a known product and used in the food industry.

3.The experts have said some people are allergic to sulphite which is one of the components.So it's not the product with the issue but rather those that are sensitive to it.

4.The FDA has not banned the chemical but rather requires the users to inform the public that they have used it so that those who are allergic can be cautious.

4.According to Wikipedia Sodium Sulphite is used as an diluent for food colour.

I could be wrong but I think the Deli business in Supermarkets could be the target.
Love is beautiful and so are those who share it.With Love, Marriage is an amazing event in ones life time, the foundation of joy, happiness and success.
hardwood
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2019 11:46:45 PM

One of the interviewees said that it can cause cancer whereas scientific literature says that it DOES NOT cause cancer. Very poor research by NTV. They should be sued for misinformation and causing panic to the public.

https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+378

hardwood
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2019 11:57:24 PM

Bigchick wrote:
Have watched the feature and am afraid I read malice and business rivalry between fresh meat dealers and the supermarket meat dealers.

1.Emphasis on supermarkets was too high as though they are the only traders in meat.The insider says meat not sold in 5 days is supplied to their kitchen for beef stew and pilau etc.

2.The chemical has been described as a food preservative meaning it is a known product and used in the food industry.

3.The experts have said some people are allergic to sulphite which is one of the components.So it's not the product with the issue but rather those that are sensitive to it.

4.The FDA has not banned the chemical but rather requires the users to inform the public that they have used it so that those who are allergic can be cautious.

4.According to Wikipedia Sodium Sulphite is used as an diluent for food colour.

I could be wrong but I think the Deli business in Supermarkets could be the target.

True this is malice against supermarkets. Even the small butchers turn the unsold meat to minced meat, ready fry meat, beef stew, boilo, mutura, thufu etc. Why does NTV want the supermarkets to throw away the meat and not make stew and pilau?

Also, do they know that the best steak is aged for 21 days or more?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_aging
#9 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2019 1:49:19 AM

Looks like Kenyans are screwed whichever way you look. You leave th supermarkets to buy donkey and dog meat in butcheries.

BBI will solve it
:)
murchr
#10 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2019 2:08:13 AM

hardwood wrote:
murchr wrote:

My issue is that they were condemning supermarkets for using the preservative while they (Nation) have reported in the past that the chemical is widely used by even the small butcheries.

https://www.nation.co.ke...93692-bxwv2r/index.html

That said the chemical should not be used in unprocessed meat. Is minced meat processed?

Also do you expect the local butcher to tell you he has used the preservative?

What is processed meat? Sausages? Canned meats?

Ideally if additives are being used on foods, the consumer should know. That is why your taxes pay those people at KBS.

Its all about the quantity of the chemicals used. NTV just informed you of the sample they used, supermarkets
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Kusadikika
#11 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2019 2:56:10 AM

If you did not kill your meat, you don't know what you are eating.
Swenani
#12 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2019 10:56:26 AM

My overstanding of the whole documentary was to do with the quantities used above the acceptable limits. No one said it should NOT be used as a preservative.All the three samples taken from the supermarkets were over 55 times above the acceptable limits.
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
hardwood
#13 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2019 10:58:39 AM

Ryko wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

[TWEET]1150457429047463936/TWEET]

In Kenya you can live long leaving in Ushago than in the city.

Is meat in ushago safer? Some meat being sold in those ushago butcheries is from sick animals which farmers have been unable to treat and so they sell to the butchers. So ukiona ngombe yako is about to die, even after trying all available drugs, you call the local butcherman meaning the meat is full of antibiotics and other drugs.
hardwood
#14 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2019 11:11:48 AM

Swenani wrote:
My overstanding of the whole documentary was to do with the quantities used above the acceptable limits. No one said it should NOT be used as a preservative.All the three samples taken from the supermarkets were over 55 times above the acceptable limits.

The veterinary department, which is in charge of meat inspection, should clarify this matter. They should tell us which preservatives are allowed (if any) and the concentrations to be used.

That said, i think this meat preservation is widespread coz in normal circumstances if you place meat on a plate and leave it for a few hours, you will find that the juices have oozed out and they start to turn dark and stinky. The underside of the meat where it is in contact with the plate will also turn dark and stinky. And flies will be all over.
murchr
#15 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2019 1:35:34 PM

hardwood wrote:
Swenani wrote:

The veterinary department, which is in charge of meat inspection, should clarify this matter. They should tell us which preservatives are allowed (if any) and the concentrations to be used.

That said, i think this meat preservation is widespread coz in normal circumstances if you place meat on a plate and leave it for a few hours, you will find that the juices have oozed out and they start to turn dark and stinky. The underside of the meat where it is in contact with the plate will also turn dark and stinky. And flies will be all over.

If you watched you would have heard the opinions of the vet
hardwood
#16 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2019 2:31:09 PM

There are hundreds of supermarkets in kenya selling meat. So you cant take 3 samples and conclude that all supermarket meat is bad. That is scaremongering.
hardwood
#17 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2019 3:11:24 PM

kawi254
#18 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2019 9:15:13 PM

[quote=hardwood]Meanwhile in Uganda the situation is worse.....

https://www.newvision.co...drugs-meant-dead-bodies

https://www.theeastafric...66068-g0y1s6/index.html[/quote]

We export our bad manners. Tuskys Kampala (Bwaise) was closed by Kampala City Health authorities for selling expired rotten meat back in 2014

https://allafrica.com/stories/201407290775.html
Shak
#19 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:13:04 AM

[quote=kawi254][quote=hardwood]Meanwhile in Uganda the situation is worse.....

https://www.newvision.co...drugs-meant-dead-bodies

https://www.theeastafric...66068-g0y1s6/index.html[/quote]

We export our bad manners. Tuskys Kampala (Bwaise) was closed by Kampala City Health authorities for selling expired rotten meat back in 2014

https://allafrica.com/stories/201407290775.html[/quote]
While some might think it's an onslaught on supermarkets, I have had my own experiences with their food section having bought stale food more than once. I'm therefore not surprised if they're doing this with meat. I'm never buying meat products from supermarkets again
kayhara
#20 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:34:03 PM

Alarmist, for one I stopped buying meat from local butcheries not because of quality but because supermarkets sell cuts, I cannot tell kariuki to sell me tender loins when he doesn't even know what that is, and kariuki will try to sneak 50% bone into your 1 kilo, or mafuta and tendons, there was a time I bought half a kilo, only to find a cow knee taking quarter of the weight, so just avoid the already cubed supermarket meat and the minced meat it's usually just skin and fat, nunua minofu
To Each His Own