wazua Mon, Apr 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages<1234>»
Punguza Mizigo Bill
limanika
#21 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 9:29:23 AM

FRM2011 wrote:
Is @maka still active on wazua ?

Would want to know whether the county assemblies or parliament can amend the bill as presented. Or approve some sections and reject others.

The proposal on fighting corruption is not a bad one. It gives the DPP powers to operationalize chapter 6 of the constitution. He will have powers to ask anyone mentioned adversely by the auditor General, PAC or PIC to vacate office immediately.

It also expands the definition of corruption to instances where the public does not get value for money.

We still dont have a substantive referendum law, hence will have to rely on the (quite) deficient provisions in the katiba. That means, once the signatures are verified by IEBC, the bill can't be amended, and would have to go all the way. If you change any clause then you have to go back to the 1m who supported the initiative and ask them to endorse!

That's where we fault aukot and chebukati. Aukot should have involved more stakeholders during the drafting of the bill. I find it very cunning of him to include sweeteners for MCA's just so they can pass the bill. Its like burying our heads in the sand. Chebukati on the other hand should have refused to take it forward to counties unless we have a substantive law on referendum. Sadly, I don't it will go far
FRM2011
#22 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 12:39:32 PM

limanika wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

Would want to know whether the county assemblies or parliament can amend the bill as presented. Or approve some sections and reject others.

The proposal on fighting corruption is not a bad one. It gives the DPP powers to operationalize chapter 6 of the constitution. He will have powers to ask anyone mentioned adversely by the auditor General, PAC or PIC to vacate office immediately.

It also expands the definition of corruption to instances where the public does not get value for money.

We still dont have a substantive referendum law, hence will have to rely on the (quite) deficient provisions in the katiba. That means, once the signatures are verified by IEBC, the bill can't be amended, and would have to go all the way. If you change any clause then you have to go back to the 1m who supported the initiative and ask them to endorse!

That's where we fault aukot and chebukati. Aukot should have involved more stakeholders during the drafting of the bill. I find it very cunning of him to include sweeteners for MCA's just so they can pass the bill. Its like burying our heads in the sand. Chebukati on the other hand should have refused to take it forward to counties unless we have a substantive law on referendum. Sadly, I don't it will go far

Thanks for he clarification. It's a pity really. It seems he doesn't understand this is a political process.

I have seen a legal advisory in ODM circles ( I am still active there). The sweetener to MCAs to replace CDF with ward development fund is not possible legally.

The CDF had to rebrand to NG-CDF to survive post-devolution. Counties can create WDF and some have even started. But not from the national government budget.
Ngalaka
#23 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 1:22:59 PM

limanika wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

It will have to be appreciated that there is another effort at referendum that is parallel to Aukot's.
There will have to be some horse trading and rationalization.
Isuni yilu yi maa me muyo - ni Mbisuu
alma1
#24 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 6:19:21 PM

My theory has come to pass.

Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?

mkenyan
#25 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 7:07:29 PM

FRM2011 wrote:
limanika wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

Thanks for he clarification. It's a pity really. It seems he doesn't understand this is a political process.

I have seen a legal advisory in ODM circles ( I am still active there). The sweetener to MCAs to replace CDF with ward development fund is not possible legally.

The CDF had to rebrand to NG-CDF to survive post-devolution. Counties can create WDF and some have even started. But not from the national government budget.

you realise that if the constitution is amended to provide that then it would be very legal? you can't get any more legal that a constitutional provision. who is this mis-advising odm on such?
limanika
#26 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:47:33 PM

I think such drastic changes in the system of representation should be more consultative. If you don't consult widely and lobby for political support then you might not go far with this kind of initiative. There are already questions as to whether IEBC is properly constituted to preside over this. The courts might have to decide.
#27 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 7:33:54 PM

It was a very clever move to target the backing of the MCAs. If it's passed by 24 county assemblies, Parliament will have no say in the matter.

BBI will solve it
:)
newfarer
#28 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2019 8:37:41 PM

it may go through.

https://www.standardmedi...dy-won-referendum-race.

either way we are damned.whether MCA or MPs they will just enrich themselves and their selves.kila mtu achunge mzigo wake.we first need a societal change of attitude to corruption
punda amecheka
Lolest!
#29 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2019 8:05:04 AM

newfarer wrote:
it may go through.

either way we are damned.whether MCA or MPs they will just enrich themselves and their selves.kila mtu achunge mzigo wake.we first need a societal change of attitude to corruption

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
limanika
#30 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2019 8:32:17 AM

newfarer wrote:
it may go through.

How can 1.2m signatures be collected and nobody I know signed up? Where was the signing done? I Never heard of a desk in my ward or constituency to sign up. At least for BBI we know they're visiting all counties. And the main issue, how exactly did IEBC verify and confirm that the signatures are valid? By the way, from where I sit, increasing money to counties and creating WDF is not the solution. Infact this will lead to entrenchment of corruption that has already now been devolved from central govt
Lolest!
#31 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 2:38:34 AM

limanika wrote:
newfarer wrote:
it may go through.

How can 1.2m signatures be collected and nobody I know signed up? Where was the signing done? I Never heard of a desk in my ward or constituency to sign up. At least for BBI we know they're visiting all counties. And the main issue, how exactly did IEBC verify and confirm that the signatures are valid? By the way, from where I sit, increasing money to counties and creating WDF is not the solution. Infact this will lead to entrenchment of corruption that has already now been devolved from central govt

I know 1 person who signed. He told me that it was an online process
newfarer
#32 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 6:11:39 AM

Lolest! wrote:
limanika wrote:
newfarer wrote:
it may go through.

eukot alicheza ball ya chini.he is a clever fellow and may win as others make noise
punda amecheka
#33 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 11:33:01 AM

Lolest! wrote:
limanika wrote:
newfarer wrote:
it may go through.

I don't doubt its authenticity because I would have signed it myself if I'd received or known about it.

BBI will solve it
:)
limanika
#34 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 11:55:34 AM

2012 wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
limanika wrote:
newfarer wrote:
it may go through.

I don't doubt its authenticity because I would have signed it myself if I'd received or known about it.

OK, but how did IEBC confirm the signature (and all others) are genuine? Do they have a depository of all signatures?
maka
#35 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 12:22:34 PM

FRM2011 wrote:

Article 257 Sub article (8) and (9)....

The bill cannot be changed.
possunt quia posse videntur
Lolest!
#36 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2019 8:51:47 PM

Impunity
#37 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2019 9:48:34 PM

Lolest! wrote:

Aniiita, anita wangu, bebelielieeeā€¦

...now you know...

Sad Sad Sad
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

hardwood
#38 Posted : Friday, August 02, 2019 10:03:44 PM

Impunity wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

Aniiita, anita wangu, bebelielieeeā€¦

...now you know...

Sad Sad Sad

It was for gender balance manenos to comply with new katiba.
Queen
#39 Posted : Saturday, August 03, 2019 9:59:11 AM

When virtually all politicians gang up against Aukot's Bill, just know that this must be a good bill which is pro- Wanjiku and anti-selfish/useless politicians.
kingfisher
#40 Posted : Monday, August 05, 2019 9:40:40 AM

limanika wrote:
I think such drastic changes in the system of representation should be more consultative. If you don't consult widely and lobby for political support then you might not go far with this kind of initiative. There are already questions as to whether IEBC is properly constituted to preside over this. The courts might have to decide.

Who was to be consulted? ODM? Jubilee? Wiper? Hacha hiyo story. They are doing theirs called BBI lt them bring it on when ready.

Punguza mzigo will go all the way....
When I have money, I get rid of it quickly, lest it find a way into my heart.