wazua Sat, Apr 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages123>»
Around the world with Kariukis (loving couple)
Impunity
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 12:04:05 AM

Applause Applause

Quote:
The husband and wife left the country on July 2 last year in a quest to be not only the first Kenyans but also the first African couple to travel across the seven continents while riding on motorcycles. The bikers have been in South America for the past eight months, so far covering more than 23,300km since the journey started in Nairobi.

Rink here
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

bwenyenye
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 1:40:38 PM

Now this is living..
I Think Therefore I Am
Obi 1 Kanobi
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 4:50:40 PM

Impunity wrote:
Applause Applause

Quote:
The husband and wife left the country on July 2 last year in a quest to be not only the first Kenyans but also the first African couple to travel across the seven continents while riding on motorcycles. The bikers have been in South America for the past eight months, so far covering more than 23,300km since the journey started in Nairobi.

Rink here

Wow, I am so envious, good on them.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
amorphous
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 5:04:39 PM

bwenyenye wrote:
Now this is living..

he he he he. No it is not, trust me.

From their story he quit his job and she sold her business and they also sold furniture (meaning they did not even own their own home) and jipangad only for the first year. How do you plan a 3 year journey with finances for 1 year and have no plan afterwards? Assuming they even had a plan for the whole three years, they will come back to nothing. And like every long term traveler knows (including them) travel burnout is real. Ask anyone who has been traveling for more than 2-3 years straight. After a while the thrill is gone and you just want to put down roots and be in one place. There is no joy like being in one place. If they owned their own home, rented it out and said they were riding for a year and coming back before doing other things it would make sense. But three years with iffy plans is suicidal. Then there is the issue of visas. So far they have been passing through countries with visa free entry for Kenyans. Wacha wafike Tijuana and meet those dropout USCIS kurutu officers hapo waiting to hear their story about applying for a visa into the USA with no job, little money and after riding through drug producing countries! If they make it past USA border they would have been very, very lucky.
Age and family mellows us all over time
Kusadikika
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 5:28:22 PM

amorphous wrote:
bwenyenye wrote:
Now this is living..

he he he he. No it is not, trust me.

From their story he quit his job and she sold her business and they also sold furniture (meaning they did not even own their own home) and jipangad only for the first year. How do you plan a 3 year journey with finances for 1 year and have no plan afterwards? Assuming they even had a plan for the whole three years, they will come back to nothing. And like every long term traveler knows (including them) travel burnout is real. Ask anyone who has been traveling for more than 2-3 years straight. After a while the thrill is gone and you just want to put down roots and be in one place. There is no joy like being in one place. If they owned their own home, rented it out and said they were riding for a year and coming back before doing other things it would make sense. But three years with iffy plans is suicidal. Then there is the issue of visas. So far they have been passing through countries with visa free entry for Kenyans. Wacha wafike Tijuana and meet those dropout USCIS kurutu officers hapo waiting to hear their story about applying for a visa into the USA with no job, little money and after riding through drug producing countries! If they make it past USA border they would have been very, very lucky.

There are people who are more adventurous than others. You don't have to be adventurous yourself to acknowledge that they have something special. It is a leap of faith and an act of courage to take up a journey like this.

I totally disagree with you when you say they will come back to nothing. They will come back with a rich priceless experience of life. Their children, their nieces, their nephews will be exposed to something different than the children of parents whose greatest adventure is to go eat nyama choma in Olepolos.
amorphous
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 5:47:40 PM

Kusadikika wrote:

There are people who are more adventurous than others. You don't have to be adventurous yourself to acknowledge that they have something special. It is a leap of faith and an act of courage to take up a journey like this.

I totally disagree with you when you say they will come back to nothing. They will come back with a rich priceless experience of life. Their children, their nieces, their nephews will be exposed to something different than the children of parents whose greatest adventure is to go eat nyama choma in Olepolos.

You missed my point completely ndugu smile
Many Kenyans have embarked on adventures around the world, perhaps even more daring, but they do not broadcast it to the world to earn admiration from others. I am talking practical matters that even they will admit to once their journey is over. Some people think 3 years is a long time. It is nothing. Talk of 20 year journeys. Even those end. And once one is back if they had not jipangad, they will have lots of regrets alongside those "rich travel experiences." The end of a matter is always better than the beginning. And rich experiences are best enjoyed when one returns to stability imho

P>S who still does 10 hour drinking sprees and nyama choma at Ole Polos (or anywhere for that matter) in 2019? Definitely not people who know the value of time and life experiences. All the best!
sitaki.kujulikana
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 6:39:30 PM

I thought they were some millionaires who had gotten bored with life and decided to do something interesting, lakini selling a business and quitting a job to go travel when you are more or less (middle aged) newly weds sounds risky - sounds better if its a couple of 20 year olds doing it.

lakini, kila mtu na raha zake, sounds thrilling for the adventurous types though.
Impunity
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 8:31:06 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
I thought they were some millionaires who had gotten bored with life and decided to do something interesting, lakini selling a business and quitting a job to go travel when you are more or less (middle aged) newly weds sounds risky - sounds better if its a couple of 20 year olds doing it.

lakini, kila mtu na raha zake, sounds thrilling for the adventurous types though.

They love each other deeply.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

freiks
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2019 1:15:37 PM

Once these guys are done with their journey, they will simply be in another world, their life will never be the same again.They are using BMW bikes, they will become the company's lifetime ambassador
Life is an endless adventure
sitaki.kujulikana
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2019 3:22:17 PM

Impunity wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:

They love each other deeply.

smile
sitaki.kujulikana
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2019 3:24:23 PM

freiks wrote:
Once these guys are done with their journey, they will simply be in another world, their life will never be the same again.They are using BMW bikes, they will become the company's lifetime ambassador

I wish them all the best, if they become bmw ambassadors that would be great for them - but I dont think kenya, or africa for that matter is a key market for bmw bikes, maybe they can use them to convince the government to buy bmw bikes for traffic cops.
amorphous
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2019 6:23:34 PM

freiks wrote:

Interesting take.
I read part of their story again jana prior to them leaving. They had big plans ati hoping Uhuru would flag them off from state house and sponsors would pay for them to reach the border. That already raises red flags with me about their sense of planning. You know a lot of people take to long term travel because they simply do not like their jobs or the city they are living in or their daily routines. They idealise travel as something that will "solve all their problems" because everyone who travels long term will mostly post only the good side of travel to impress others. Seldom do they post the dark side. Most long term travelers will tell you that travel is hard work and not glamorous at all over all. For example, its nice to see the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio but after you have gazed at it and taken pictures around it for 20 minutes, there is nothing left to do up there but come down. That is to say crossing things off one's bucket list is very anti-climactic because the glamourised image of a place painted in the media and by others seldom matches up to the reality. I was busy smiling when the lady was talking about things like enjoying Ceviche and other foods. Its the same thing with a tourist from USA being every excited about mandazi or chapati yet we locals are probably long tired of such things. Very few talk about travel burnout, fleeting "friendships" on the road. You meet a wonderful person, get to know them well within time limits, add them on facebook and perhaps even email or whatsapp each other from time to time but the sad reality is 99% of the time you will never see these people face to face ever again in your lifetime. At the end of say 10 years of travel you may find you have 500 facebook "friends" from all over the world yet other than a few fleeting moments you spent with them at a certain locale, you have nothing much else to communicate with. Very empty experience if you ask me. Perhaps Dos hated his job and Wamuyus business was not doing very well. Even perhaps there were issues in the marriage (who knows) given the big age difference with the guy being ten years younger. Or maybe they wanted to postpone responsibility or had just had bad experiences in relationships before they met each other (their marriage seems pretty young). Selling everything and getting on the road may have seemed like the ultimate solution. But as Im sure they have discovered by now long term cross continental travel si mchezo. Their timelines are already off from their own admission, planning such a long trip is no joke because there is an unpredictability element at every stage. I really wish them well but knowing what I know, they are in for tough times ahead. I hope they do not end up like those 2 very well educated twenty something years old German blonde girls I met in a hostel in a small city in Brazil many years back. They fled from Berlin because they "hated their jobs." Once they were on the ground they were having the time of their life (honeymoon phase of long term travel) partying and experiencing the newness of everything. Soon they had decided they are never going to go back to Germany even if they had to do bartending jobs for the rest of their lives. I soon left that city and moved on but kept in touch. Some months later there was some social unrest in that small town. They fled with tails between their legs back to the drudgery of Berlin. Not just because of the the very real unrest, but also because in their words "life in that small town had become boring" after their honeymoon phase was over. My advice to this couple and others; travel is beautiful, yes. But coming back to roots and stability and family that loves you and having kids in a stable environment is even better. So jipangaring for life after travel when you are on the road is even more important than the journey itself. And remember problems are everywhere and all countries are broken to some degree, so there is no paradise out there.Just peoples glamourised depictions of these places they travel through. Visiting a new city is fun. For the first few weeks. Living there for 2 or 3 months or even years is another because sooner or later the dark side creeps in. And if you are simply "passing by" cities quickly you might get the wrong impression of what those places are about because you are "honeymoon phasing" your way through them like this couple is doing. At some point even the "newness" of the next new town starts to bore you because you have to start adapting all over again and meeting new people you will never see again all over again. The best advice I ever got.. from a guy who walked from Ushuaia to Barrow over a few years in the 80s and even wrote a book about it.. was that travel has its time and then once its done, settle down, put roots down and move on to other things. My humble two cents. All the best to the couple, though!
alma1
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2019 7:53:11 PM

Someone on this forum sound very jealous about two people who have decided to live their life as they wish to. Together.

If you feel like living your boring life is ok, let others go around the world in a BMW bike. If they get even half way through their goal, they shall be glad they did what their heart desired.

You sound like that Ezekiel Mutua fella always complaining about things that are not his business.
Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?

sitaki.kujulikana
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2019 7:59:37 PM

I am very happy for the couple, I wish I was in their shoes, very happy and positive about them - may God bless them abundantly.
amorphous
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 04, 2019 10:30:46 PM

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. This couple seems to be very very naive. You mean they planned a three year trip around the world and did not know most countries require a return ticket to grant entry? Relying on the "goodness" of visa officials as a travel strategy is to stand on very shifty ground. Sooner or later this will not work. I had given them the benefit of the doubt but just hearing them talk, I highly doubt they will cross into USA, let alone Canada. And then there is little Britain to get through Laughing out loudly Anyway, let me grab my popcorn and see where they end up. Guys following this story please update us on this thread so we see what happens.
Rahatupu
#16 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2019 6:46:29 AM

Thought they were reliving their experience to the world. Kumbe its broadcasting their expectations.
gk
#17 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2019 7:59:08 AM

Am envious of the couple and would grab such an opportunity with both hands. Life is an adventure whichever way you approach it and there's no better experience than seeing the world. We take life too seriously and die empty... you only live once, enjoy it.
gk
#18 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2019 8:28:28 AM

And by the way you can only prepare so much for such an adventure and oftentimes the best experiences are actually spontaneous.
Those challenges they have encountered are part of the fun and good fodder for a travel story.
tycho
#19 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2019 10:25:31 AM

As dangerous as asking Wazuans for direction on how to live.
freiks
#20 Posted : Friday, July 05, 2019 10:27:07 AM

alma1 wrote:
Someone on this forum sound very jealous about two people who have decided to live their life as they wish to. Together.

If you feel like living your boring life is ok, let others go around the world in a BMW bike. If they get even half way through their goal, they shall be glad they did what their heart desired.

You sound like that Ezekiel Mutua fella always complaining about things that are not his business.

Maybe either of them is an EX to this person with such machungu that the xter wishes them bad on return, in our culture we dont wish someone bad luck no matter how you hate him/her
Life is an endless adventure