wazua Tue, May 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages«<56789>
US - China tariffs war
T-Bag
#121 Posted : Saturday, June 01, 2019 12:06:58 PM

Trump's trade war is getting deeper by the day. He plans to increase
tariffs on all mexican goods in the coming months.

The schedule of increases is as follows:

Jun 10 - 5%
Jul 1 - 10%
Aug 1 - 15%
Sep 1 - 20%
Oct 1 - 25%

Mexico supplies 14% of autos sold in the U.S.

All of this is over issues with Mexico over border security.
I AM trust in GOD, I AM belief in THYSELF
kayhara
#122 Posted : Saturday, June 01, 2019 3:26:06 PM

By the way Boeing is buying Embraer, but the rest of the world slept while US and UK did the important stuff, for example without windows Huawei laptop business is kaput, add to this ARM license and Huawei can't manufacture any processors in the near future, and they need those for their 5G towers, the rest of the world might control the body but US, UK control the 'life' software, until such a time Samsung, Taiwan china, or africa come up and patent their processor architectures, their own operating systems, U S&K will always be able to switch us off. After the ban I am sure other tech Giants will and are working on this, in the long term Americans will realize trump f***ed them up.
To Each His Own
murchr
#123 Posted : Saturday, June 01, 2019 4:30:54 PM

T-Bag wrote:
Trump's trade war is getting deeper by the day. He plans to increase
tariffs on all mexican goods in the coming months.

The schedule of increases is as follows:

Jun 10 - 5%
Jul 1 - 10%
Aug 1 - 15%
Sep 1 - 20%
Oct 1 - 25%

Mexico supplies 14% of autos sold in the U.S.

All of this is over issues with Mexico over border security.

Be reminded that Americans are paying for the additional mark up. There's no way manufacturing is quickly shifting back to America. So in short, America/Americans are paying for the crisis at the border.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
murchr
#124 Posted : Saturday, June 01, 2019 4:42:08 PM

kayhara wrote:
By the way Boeing is buying Embraer, but the rest of the world slept while US and UK did the important stuff, for example without windows Huawei laptop business is kaput, add to this ARM license and Huawei can't manufacture any processors in the near future, and they need those for their 5G towers, the rest of the world might control the body but US, UK control the 'life' software, until such a time Samsung, Taiwan china, or africa come up and patent their processor architectures, their own operating systems, U S&K will always be able to switch us off. After the ban I am sure other tech Giants will and are working on this, in the long term Americans will realize trump f***ed them up.

To cut taxes in the form of tariffs, Boeing is opening a plant in China.

UK has refused to play ball. Now Trump is threatening UK.

Friday, EE Ltd launched 5G using Huawei wireless antennas, they may not have included the Huawei phones in it but they are surely in business.

https://www.caixinglobal...-setbacks-101422339.html
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Kusadikika
#125 Posted : Saturday, June 01, 2019 5:12:39 PM

kayhara wrote:

I was listening to one of the many experts US has on China and he said an advantage in software is not an advantage at all. Any designer or software engineer anywhere in the world can work for anyone in any other part of the world. A Chinese company can have software engineers who work from home in California, Utah, Ohio, London, Copenhagen, Bangalore, Nairobi etc. Software is more mobile than people.

Manufacturing ability is less mobile. Getting millions of people to show up for work and build things is not something that can be replicated easily. I know someone will be quick to mention robots but those also need to be built and maintained by people for the foreseeable future.

It is easier for Huawei to develop an operating system like Android to work on its phones than it is for Google to build phones to run its own Android.
Njunge
#126 Posted : Saturday, June 01, 2019 10:34:38 PM

Read somewhere that Huawei has been developing own OS called HongMeng since 2012 and that they are ready to roll it out this June? I think Huawei has had a plan bah all along..
sitaki.kujulikana
#127 Posted : Sunday, June 02, 2019 1:46:45 AM

Kusadikika wrote:
kayhara wrote:

I was listening to one of the many experts US has on China and he said an advantage in software is not an advantage at all. Any designer or software engineer anywhere in the world can work for anyone in any other part of the world. A Chinese company can have software engineers who work from home in California, Utah, Ohio, London, Copenhagen, Bangalore, Nairobi etc. Software is more mobile than people.

Manufacturing ability is less mobile. Getting millions of people to show up for work and build things is not something that can be replicated easily. I know someone will be quick to mention robots but those also need to be built and maintained by people for the foreseeable future.

It is easier for Huawei to develop an operating system like Android to work on its phones than it is for Google to build phones to run its own Android.

It's not just about developing an OS otherwise the likes of Ubuntu and Microsoft would be pulling the mobile space, it's the whole echo system.
I mean IBM would just have developed their os and let it run on their computers and kick out Microsoft, it's not as easy as you think.
Kusadikika
#128 Posted : Sunday, June 02, 2019 4:06:39 AM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:
kayhara wrote:

It's not just about developing an OS otherwise the likes of Ubuntu and Microsoft would be pulling the mobile space, it's the whole echo system.
I mean IBM would just have developed their os and let it run on their computers and kick out Microsoft, it's not as easy as you think.

The whole eco system exists in its current form not because it is hard to develop but because there are intellectual property rights granted to the first entrants that prevent other entrants getting in. Intellectual property rights are basically legal protections which is not to say other people do not know how to replicate something but that they are prevented by law from doing so.

Picking a trade war with China is a big mistake. Whatever gains there are will be very short lived. China has more than 4 times the population of the US. Most of the population are recently well off which means they have some experience living on less than what they have now. A rich country ike the US means there are millions of people who are used to a certain standard of living and have never known life below that standard. A little change in the standard of living in the US will produce a huge cry from the citizens. The US can fire their president every 4 years and their congressmen every 2 years so the Chinese can wait them out and the policy will change. In China change is not that swift. The leaders can change the country quicker than the country can change the leaders.

Njunge
#129 Posted : Sunday, June 02, 2019 9:55:06 AM

China: Trade war will not Make America Great Again.
Wakanyugi
#130 Posted : Sunday, June 02, 2019 3:13:29 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:
kayhara wrote:

One of the comments I have seen repeated many times over is that, China is playing the long game. It is not hard to see. Over the last 10 years or so China has sucesfully duplicated Facebook, Google, Amazon and Paypal to great effect and prifit too.

Would you want to bet that they will not duplicate high end microchips, OS, AI, Quantum computing or even semiconductors?

When you can control a market of 1.4 billion you don't need favours from a declining super power for very long.

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
tycho
#131 Posted : Sunday, June 02, 2019 6:48:14 PM

Triffin paradox is certain to bite.

https://www.theguardian....-california-robert-reich
T-Bag
#132 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2019 3:12:02 PM

T-Bag wrote:
I never trust the XI to play fair, China will expand retaliation outside tariffs towards US companies based in china and US treasuries, notes and bond held by China........

Buy Gold and enjoy the ride

Load up some more Gold, I insist
I AM trust in GOD, I AM belief in THYSELF
limanika
#133 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2019 4:26:17 PM

When this ban (by US) on huawei takes effect in say 90 days, then anyone using whatever phone running safaricom network which runs on huawei architecture won't access any apps supported by Android. Then it'll be back to stoneage, Kweli ama Rongo?
kingfisher
#134 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2019 4:58:05 PM

limanika wrote:
When this ban (by US) on huawei takes effect in say 90 days, then anyone using whatever phone running safaricom network which runs on huawei architecture won't access any apps supported by Android. Then it'll be back to stoneage, Kweli ama Rongo?

Huawei have their own app store so if you are a developer of mobile apps logic will dictate you do do and maintain apps for all major stores (google, apple, huawei, etc etc).
When I have money, I get rid of it quickly, lest it find a way into my heart.
radio
#135 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2019 5:07:37 PM

limanika wrote:

I doubt.

For Huawei users' questions regarding our steps to comply w/ the recent US government actions: We assure you while we are complying with all US gov't requirements, services like Google Play & security from Google Play Protect will keep functioning on your existing Huawei device.
~Android
tycho
#136 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2019 5:17:07 PM

limanika wrote:

It may not get this far. I suspect a reversal and normalization is on the way given that there seems to be no clear strategy by the Trump administration that can withhold the consequence of the conflict.
kingfisher
#137 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2019 5:21:29 PM

tycho wrote:
limanika wrote:

It may not get this far. I suspect a reversal and normalization is on the way given that there seems to be no clear strategy by the Trump administration that can withhold the consequence of the conflict.

He is also very afraid of those same consequences... and the west is not playing ball well but Japan and Taiwan only
When I have money, I get rid of it quickly, lest it find a way into my heart.
Kusadikika
#138 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2019 6:01:40 PM

tycho wrote:
limanika wrote:

You are right. The pressure on Trump will not come from China or Huawei but from US suppliers. I am sure lobbyists for Intel, Qualcomm, IBM, Google, Microsoft etc must be making phone calls, writing emails and doing frantic meetings with everyone in any position in Washington.
limanika
#139 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2019 6:52:20 PM

radio wrote:
limanika wrote:

I doubt.

For Huawei users' questions regarding our steps to comply w/ the recent US government actions: We assure you while we are complying with all US gov't requirements, services like Google Play & security from Google Play Protect will keep functioning on your existing Huawei device.
~Android

You can have huawei phone running on Nokia supported infrastructure hence that will not be affected. But you can have Nokia phone running on huawei infrastructure, this will be affected. Of course service providers like Android will issue statements assuring their customers to avoid panic but you can be sure they're cracking heads behind their desks. I think the issue is more complex and even Trump himself doesn't understand how complex and globalized the world has become
Wakanyugi
#140 Posted : Monday, June 03, 2019 8:32:08 PM

tycho wrote:
limanika wrote:

There is a Trumpian strategy, of a kind:

1. Bad cop - Threaten all kinds of mayhem unless....

2. Good cop - Give me a call (Iran/North Korea) I am willing to talk

3. Bad cop- pretend to lose your temper 'the fake walk away'

4. If this doesn't work squeeze a third party. 'See what I am doing to Mexico? Imagine what I can do to you'

5. Make nice. Fudge.

6. Declare victory

P.S. This is similar behaviour to what Jane Goodall has recorded about Gorillas in the Congo.
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)