wazua Wed, Apr 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
HELP. Building a maisonette in phases
Ryko
#21 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2019 12:26:25 PM

----work your way from top going down (for a clean job)------

either way I doubt it matters alot how you do it, some factors prevail i.e current mfuko status
I work so I can afford the amount of alcohol required to continue going to work
hardwood
#22 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2019 1:09:31 PM

amorphous wrote:
obiero wrote:
amorphous wrote:
"Silly" question.
Plastering is almost done. What comes next after electrical wiring?
Painting ceilings and walls?
Or tiling floor first?
then painting of ceilings and walls?
Halafu niingie hii nyumba kama sungura jamaneni
Thaks in advance

I always go with tiling first based on logic..Let me hear from the others

@Obiero. Kindly explain the logic?
I would have thought if you do paint after tiling it will "chafua" the tiles which will lead to more labour for sorting out the mess ama?

Tiling the floor is a major part of finishing the floor just like plastering a wall is a major part of finishing the wall. Deal with major issues first before moving on to aesthetics like painting walls. Chafuaring the tiles is a non issue since painters know how to protect the tiled floor with gazeti and polythene. Also its much more comfortable to live in a tiled unpainted house than a painted untiled house. You can paint later pole pole but tiling is major works.
wukan
#23 Posted : Thursday, June 06, 2019 1:57:32 PM

amorphous wrote:
"Silly" question.
Plastering is almost done. What comes next after electrical wiring?
Painting ceilings and walls?
Or tiling floor first?
then painting of ceilings and walls?
Halafu niingie hii nyumba kama sungura jamaneni
Thaks in advance

Do painting of ceilings and walls. The floor you can apply red oxide/floor paint and move in. Later do the tiling from savings on your rent. Don't rush. I've realized from doing several home improvements doing everything at once does not necessarily bring out the best. There's something unique about a home which has been improved organically over the years.
amorphous
#24 Posted : Friday, June 07, 2019 2:51:22 AM

Thanks guys, you have answered my question 101% and beautifully at that. Asanteni!

@Jamplu this method makes a lot of sense. I especially like the idea of doing first coat before tiling.

@Ryko; top down approach definitely is convincing and what I was leaning towards. Thanks! Mfuko is threadbare but sacrifices will have to be made for me to move in asap.

@hardwood: This method also makes lots of sense. Moving from most important (read costly) to less important. Thanks!

@Wukan. I love your answer about an organically improved house. I fully am of the same thinking (and not just because my pockets are empty and I cannot afford to do everything at once). My biggest challenge has been pressure to escape rent. This, I have found, has also put a lot of pressure on me to compromise on quality as I go along. For example last week I found myself harakisharing the plastering guys to finish because I am trying to move in asap, then I saw the quality of the harakishwad work and realised it is better they slow down. Once inside after kissing my landlady goodbye forever I can really take my time to do everything right. Tolerating nyokonyoko work will be a no-no and I can supervise from up close kila siku. The pressure will be completely gone so even if my kitchen remains an echo filled hall for a few months while I save up for and install the right cabinets for it, hamna shida hata kidogo.

I appreciate all the ongoing help! Thanks all and be blessed!
Age and family mellows us all over time
amorphous
#25 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2019 7:51:37 PM

With the benefit of hindsight, Ryko's method wins hands down.
Painting made a royal mess despite all precautions taken. Skimming especially. The floor was covered in like a cm of powder. All the sanitary ware had to be scrubbed with steelwool. Tiles too and afterwards they did not look as shiny as they were originally. If I could do it all over again I would do this:
Paint immediately after plastering. Then tile, then install sanitary ware and window stuff (curtain rods or boxes). Would have saved me a lot of unnecessary time cleaning things up after.
amorphous
#26 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2019 3:17:17 PM

limanika wrote:
amorphous wrote:
limanika wrote:
...Then for the staircase well area only build up perimeter temporary masonry walling and do the temporary roof at high level.

Not a bad idea. This will also allow me (and the fundis) to access the first floor in case i need to inspect the solar water heater and water tank that will be temporarily placed there. The fundis will be able to continue building once i save up the money.

Exactly. The fundis should access via an external ladder though

Advice worth its weight in gold. No dirty shoes/foot traffic busy messing up my clean floors! Asante! Now I can sip my coffee and listen to the fundi sounds as they hammer nails into my treated cypress as we speak!
Ryko
#27 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2019 4:03:37 PM

The sad thing about mijengo is somethings people don't tell you.... its like marriage.... or getting a children. EVERY Tom, Dick tells you the good side and flip the other side under the table.

Personally iIthink in Mjengo .... "for every 5 steps forward be prepared for 1 step backward". That is what happened with your painting work.
I work so I can afford the amount of alcohol required to continue going to work
jamplu
#28 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2019 8:29:17 PM

amorphous wrote:
Painting made a royal mess despite all precautions taken. Skimming especially. The floor was covered in like a cm of powder. All the sanitary ware had to be scrubbed with steelwool. Tiles too and afterwards they did not look as shiny as they were originally. If I could do it all over again I would do this:
Paint immediately after plastering. Then tile, then install sanitary ware and window stuff (curtain rods or boxes). Would have saved me a lot of unnecessary time cleaning things up after.

Waterbased paint on sanitary wares (sinks, toilet) comes off easy if you clean with hot water you have to be patient though - unless you've let it sit for a long period it should come out with a little help of a scrapper

The only thing that washes tiles clean is muriatic acid you just need a little mixed with water (but wear safety clothing that thing is hell a mask is mandatory) it will leave your tiles clean. if you've never used it pay someone who knows what they are doing the use excess of it will leave greenish stains on the tile edges.

hardwood
#29 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2019 9:56:19 PM

amorphous wrote:

You are wrong. Painting should be the last step. Tiling is messy and will stain the painted walls and you may have to repaint the walls. Also the fundis installing the sanitary ware and curtain boxes may stain parts of the wall and you can't repaint patches on walls but will have to redo whole walls. So you should install everything - tiles, cabinets, fittings and all, and finish the rooms with a coat of paint.
murchr
#30 Posted : Friday, July 26, 2019 10:54:15 PM

amorphous wrote:

Kwani how kienyeji were your painters? They don't spread papers etc? Tiling is very dirty....simiti kila mahali.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore