7 Pages<12345>»
Safaricom....Collymore Successor Yes Kenyan Can
Pesa Nane
#41 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2019 10:39:21 AM

Ericsson wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Michael Joseph back as Acting CEO

With immediate effect

Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
Angelica _ann
#42 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 6:18:54 AM

https://citizentv.co.ke/...s-safaricom-ceo-261258/

Gov’t wants to see a Kenyan as Safaricom CEO

According to the popular ‘public opinion court’ represented by social media inter-webs, Safaricom Chief Customer Officer Sylvia Mulinge makes for the plausible appointee to the role.
CS Mucheru meanwhile refused to be dragged into the murk, passing the buck of responsibility back to the managers of the publicly listed firm.
On Tuesday, the Safaricom Board announced that ex-CEO Michael Joseph would head the telco albeit on an interim basis.

The government is insisting that a Kenyan should fill the now vacant Safaricom CEO post after the demise of Bob Collymore.

ICT Cabinet Secretary Joe Mucheru has maintained his position on the succession debate.

“I don’t think the government position has changed, we would still love to see a Kenyan. However like any other company, they (Safaricom) have a choice as to who they want to be their CEO,” Mucheru told Citizen Digital.

Mucheru’s remarks came at a time when there is high expectation that a Kenyan will take over at the helm of the giant telco operator.

According to the popular ‘public opinion court’ represented by social media inter-webs, Safaricom Chief Customer Officer Sylvia Mulinge makes for the plausible appointee to the role.

Gov’t wants to see a Kenyan as Safaricom CEO
By Kepha Muiruri For Citizen Digital
time updated Published on: July 2, 2019 13:27 (EAT)

Gov't wants to see a Kenyan as Safaricom CEO
ICT Cabinet Secretary Joe Mucheru. PHOTO| COURTESY
In Summary
CS Mucheru meanwhile refused to be dragged into the murk, passing the buck of responsibility back to the managers of the publicly listed firm.
On Tuesday, the Safaricom Board announced that ex-CEO Michael Joseph would head the telco albeit on an interim basis.

The government is insisting that a Kenyan should fill the now vacant Safaricom CEO post after the demise of Bob Collymore.

ICT Cabinet Secretary Joe Mucheru has maintained his position on the succession debate.

Also Read: Bob Collymore to leave Safaricom as row erupts over successor

“I don’t think the government position has changed, we would still love to see a Kenyan. However like any other company, they (Safaricom) have a choice as to who they want to be their CEO,” Mucheru told Citizen Digital.

Mucheru’s remarks came at a time when there is high expectation that a Kenyan will take over at the helm of the giant telco operator.

Also Read:

Michael Joseph: This is why I was appointed interim Safaricom CEO
PHOTOS: Final journey for Bob Collymore as body leaves Lee Funeral Home
Ex-Safaricom CEO Michael Joseph appointed as interim boss

On Tuesday, the Safaricom Board announced that former Safaricom CEO Michael Joseph would head the telco albeit on an interim basis.

“It’s not as if the company is crippled. Having Michael is a bonus for us as he has been there before and it gives Safaricom time to pick the right person to run the business,” he added.

Sources from the expansive financial services sector however deem the interim appointment as shilly-shally.

Apparently the Board is well in the know of who the new appointee is amidst a contest pitting the government and Vodacom, Safaricom’s majority shareholder.

It is said that Joseph makes for a neutral appointee as the Board works to extinguish fires emanating from the prevailing shareholder clash.

Collymore’s death opened the door for fresh speculation on who will take the top seat at the company reigniting fires from the recently reported row earlier in the year.

In April, Reuters reported that Collymore planned to step down in August for health reasons but the government’s insistence that he be succeeded by a Kenyan had delayed announcement of a replacement.

In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Angelica _ann
#43 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 6:26:35 AM

https://citizentv.co.ke/...m-safaricom-ceo-261357/

Michael Joseph: This is why I was appointed interim Safaricom CEO

Safaricom PLC interim Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Michael Joseph has finally come out to speak on why he was appointed to the position following the demise of Bob Collymore.

This comes after mixed reactions among Kenyans on social media following the news with many questioning why the company’s board did not settle on a Kenyan national for the post.

However, speaking during an interview with K24 TV on Tuesday evening, Michael stated that he was selected because officials currently serving in various senior capacities at the company and whom many Kenyans feel should have been promoted are not ready to fill in Collymore’s shoes at the moment.

According to MJ, as he is popularly referred to, “at this point we (board) thought that none of them was ready for this role today.”

The South African national, while insisting that his role is only on a caretaker basis, however exuded confidence at the fact that he was coming in to an all too familiar position hence is well capable of steering the company in the right path.

“Safaricom has always been my company, it’s always been my baby; I nurtured it upto when I handed over to Bob. Now I’m just looking after it for a while, like a grandparent looking after the grandchild, until we appoint somebody else,” he stated.

It’s not something new for me, I’m not having to start afresh, I’m well prepared for the role; but I must emphasise it is temporary.”

The Kenya Airways Board Chairman further revealed that the search for a successor to Collymore, whose term was initially set to end in August 2019, began 18 months ago but stalled due to demands and pressure from various corners.

“It was a worldwide search, including people in Kenya. And eventually we came to a very short list, we came to a decision but we didn’t execute it because there was a concern as to whether the successor to Bob should be a Kenyan or not,” he said.

“And because there was some question about that, we decided to put it on hold for a while, and that’s why we asked Bob to stay for another year while we thought about how we could do it.”

Michael also heaped praises on the deceased Safaricom boss saying he embraced his role as CEO when he was appointed 10 years ago, “grew into it and took it to another level.”

He added that their friendship and bond grew stronger while Collymore was receiving treatment for his cancer in London.

“We spent a lot of time together, much more than when he was CEO and we would just talk about the company. I spent hours with him talking about life, death, and we became very close,” he said.

MJ further stated that he would not relinquish his seat as Kenya Airways Board Chairman saying his appointment at Safaricom is only temporary and will only take “a day, a week, or even a month.”
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Fyatu
#44 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 8:13:43 AM

Who is this Sylvia Mulinge? What are her accomplishments? Can someone post her curriculum Vitae hapa wazua we scrutinize it. The noise on social media suggests that she is just another overrated Kenyan(like Wanyama and Kahata) who is bound to disappoint big time and cause major heartache.

Also, why is the government meddling with affairs of a public listed company? If they like, they can as well demand that the CEO of Diageo East Africa, Bamburi, United Nations Nairobi etc to be a Kenyan. I am not against a Kenyan being CEO, what i am against is our overly corrupt and grossly inept government meddling with private enterprises.

The current kenyan government has become a copycat government. Worse is that it benchmarks with other failed shithole dwarf countries like Tanzania. If Tanzania insists CEOs of certain companies must be Tanzanian, or shareholding structure in Telcos must be 51% Tanzanian, our lazy minister cobbles up a copy-pasted(Tanzanian) policy and presents it to cabinet and is approved without questions. Weka CV ya Sylvia hapa and let wananchi give opinion kama anaweza ama hawezi?

ni hayo tu kwa sasa
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
cyruskulei
#45 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 9:19:21 AM

Fyatu wrote:
Who is this Sylvia Mulinge? What are her accomplishments? Can someone post her curriculum Vitae hapa wazua we scrutinize it. The noise on social media suggests that she is just another overrated Kenyan(like Wanyama and Kahata) who is bound to disappoint big time and cause major heartache.

Also, why is the government meddling with affairs of a public listed company? If they like, they can as well demand that the CEO of Diageo East Africa, Bamburi, United Nations Nairobi etc to be a Kenyan. I am not against a Kenyan being CEO, what i am against is our overly corrupt and grossly inept government meddling with private enterprises.

The current kenyan government has become a copycat government. Worse is that it benchmarks with other failed shithole dwarf countries like Tanzania. If Tanzania insists CEOs of certain companies must be Tanzanian, or shareholding structure in Telcos must be 51% Tanzanian, our lazy minister cobbles up a copy-pasted(Tanzanian) policy and presents it to cabinet and is approved without questions. Weka CV ya Sylvia hapa and let wananchi give opinion kama anaweza ama hawezi?

ni hayo tu kwa sasa

FYI her full names: Sylvia Wairimu Mulinge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Mulinge
Work hard at your job and you can make a living. Work hard on yourself and you can make a fortune.

sparkly
#46 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 10:02:27 AM

Fyatu wrote:

Government is a 35% shareholder in Safaricom and therefore has a say in management of the company.

Safaricom is a strategic investment by GOK and Vodafone (now through Vodacom SA) such strategic agreements come with clauses for transfer of technology and skills to locals. Vodafone/ Safaricom is at fault if they haven't trained at least 5 Kenyans capable of leading the company in the last 20 years.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Ericsson
#47 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 10:06:25 AM

sparkly wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

Government is a 35% shareholder in Safaricom and therefore has a say in management of the company.

Safaricom is a strategic investment by GOK and Vodafone (now through Vodacom SA) such strategic agreements come with clauses for transfer of technology and skills to locals. Vodafone/ Safaricom is at fault if they haven't trained at least 5 Kenyans capable of leading the company in the last 20 years.

Were the kenyans willing to be trained?
Would they adhere to the standards set by Vodafone?
Safaricom is a company some people want to loot,i don't see benefit of putting a kenyan who would then be manipulated to loot and bring down the company.
For the 19 years Vodafone have had one of their own look at the contribution safaricom has done to the economy.
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
VituVingiSana
#48 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 10:13:35 AM

sparkly wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

KQ, KPLC, NBK, HF, EAPCC and many, many more. If the new appointee has the "support" of GoK then where do the CEO's loyalties lie?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Fyatu
#49 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 10:25:05 AM

sparkly wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

Fair enough.

Problem is that we all know what will happen if gok gets its way(Safaricom is a fat cash cow). @VVS points out living testaments of gok controlled firms. We read in newspapers and hear on radio how these companies are looted even by low echelon staffs. Case in point Kenya power, a company which in my opinion, should be at par with Safaricom in terms of profits but is defiled day-in-day-out by everyone but wanjiku shareholders...lets not even talk of KQ and Mumias. The vote of confidence in government is low. Even school going kids give a thumbs down to gok for their past and present corrupt beahaviour. Other vices such as nepotism, tribalism, cronyism are also bound to creep in.
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
Angelica _ann
#50 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 10:36:54 AM

Why should GoK fight for 1 position at Safraicom, yet Safaricom employees Kenyans in its thousands directly and indirectly. Why does this 1 position matter to them so much.
hardwood
#51 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 10:43:07 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Why should GoK fight for 1 position at Safraicom, yet Safaricom employees Kenyans in its thousands directly and indirectly. Why does this 1 position matter to them so much.

If one is the biggest shareholder in a company, then they need to have a say on how its run, and also who runs it.
cyruskulei
#52 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 10:45:17 AM

cyruskulei wrote:
[quote=Fyatu]Who is this Sylvia Mulinge? What are her accomplishments? Can someone post her curriculum Vitae hapa wazua we scrutinize it. The noise on social media suggests that she is just another overrated Kenyan(like Wanyama and Kahata) who is bound to disappoint big time and cause major heartache.

ni hayo tu kwa sasa

FYI her full names: Sylvia Wairimu Mulinge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Mulinge[/quote]

Another thread on Sylvia: https://uhondo.news/why-...ichael-joseph-explains/
Work hard at your job and you can make a living. Work hard on yourself and you can make a fortune.

Angelica _ann
#53 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 10:49:57 AM

hardwood wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

If one is the biggest shareholder in a company, then they need to have a say on how its run, and also who runs it.

GoK is not the biggest shareholder in Safaricom. Their stake is equal to Vodacom (which if you combine with Vodafone stake is higher than GoK), so they have the same if not greater voice. Obviously the rest of the shareholders will side with Vodacom/Vodafone axis.
nairobby
#54 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 11:37:50 AM

I think Sylvia is brilliant. She holds the second highest position at Safaricom after the CEO and if you look at what her role entails, it's very serious. However, GoK cannot be trusted!!
Ericsson
#55 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 12:10:26 PM

nairobby wrote:
I think Sylvia is brilliant. She holds the second highest position at Safaricom after the CEO and if you look at what her role entails, it's very serious. However, GoK cannot be trusted!!

CEO
CFO
CTO
Then the rest follows.
That is the pecking order
Angelica _ann
#56 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 12:15:24 PM

Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:

CEO
CFO
CTO
Then the rest follows.

Was wondering how Slyvia's position is the 2nd in command at Safaricom, should be the finance guy. Though Bob elevated Ogutu as his right hand man at Safcom (something even MJ used to do). The mzee is a survivor from Telcom days.
Ericsson
#57 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 12:26:40 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:

CEO
CFO
CTO
Then the rest follows.

Was wondering how Slyvia's position is the 2nd in command at Safaricom, should be the finance guy. Though Bob elevated Ogutu as his right hand man at Safcom (something even MJ used to do). The mzee is a survivor from Telcom days.

Sylvia is just a hype.
Ericsson
#58 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 12:48:44 PM

Foreign national tops race to succeed Collymore
The race to succeed deceased Safaricom CEO Bob Collymore gathered pace Tuesday with the board said to have settled on a foreign national to take over the helm of Kenya’s most profitable company.
The Treasury owns 35 percent shares of the Nairobi Securities Exchange-listed telco while British company Vodafone and its South African subsidiary Vodacom together control a 40 percent stake.

Vodafone is said to have a pre-emptive right to appoint the CEO of the Kenyan telecommunications company.
murchr
#59 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 1:14:40 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Foreign national tops race to succeed Collymore
The race to succeed deceased Safaricom CEO Bob Collymore gathered pace Tuesday with the board said to have settled on a foreign national to take over the helm of Kenya’s most profitable company.
The Treasury owns 35 percent shares of the Nairobi Securities Exchange-listed telco while British company Vodafone and its South African subsidiary Vodacom together control a 40 percent stake.

Vodafone is said to have a pre-emptive right to appoint the CEO of the Kenyan telecommunications company.

Fake news
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
nairobby
#60 Posted : Wednesday, July 03, 2019 1:24:53 PM

Ericsson wrote:
nairobby wrote:

CEO
CFO
CTO
Then the rest follows.

Sylvia role is more important than CFO/CTO my friend. There is a reason that CCO position was specially created.

Even the arrangement of senior management on their website does well to highlight that.