wazua Tue, Apr 23, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages<1234>»
Safaricom....Collymore Successor Yes Kenyan Can
tycho
#21 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 5:11:37 PM

The best way to know the best candidate is by understanding the system being operated, the strategic context of the system, the emergent and needed strategy, and finally the reality scenario of choice.

So, these factors being considered can give direction on who the best candidate is or can be.

Otherwise relying on data from corporations that may not be similar to safcom or trying to induce from insufficient data may be an error.
Ericsson
#22 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 5:21:29 PM

Kusadikika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
The only institutions somebody Kenyan has run with some degree of success are in financial sector I.e. banks n very few insurance companies. But these have strict rules and there's oversight by statutory umbrella bodies e.g. CBK.

KBL was a very successful company before mzungu took over

During the reign of Mahinda, another mean Kenyan.

Face of kenya ilikuwa balaaa
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Kenyan Oracle
#23 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 5:47:24 PM

Kusadikika wrote:
If they pick a Kenyan they need to pick the meanest, tight fisted, mkono ngumu Kenyan they can find. He should have no friends and even better no family. If he has family, let him be the most hated member of his family because of uchoyo.

Why? You ask. My answer is 99 billion shillings. 99 billion shillings can attract a lot of phone calls from many powerful people. Being a professional is not enough. To survive that job you need another kind of strength.

One of the reasons Kibaki was effective is because Kibaki is the meanest rich Kenyan who was ever created. I think I once heard John Keen say that Kibaki was so mean, he never bought anybody a beer in his life.

Hahaha. This could be true. You saw how his relatives were living in squalor yet he was the no. 1 guy
You lose money chasing women, but you never lose women chasing money - NAS
Kusadikika
#24 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 5:48:31 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:
murchr wrote:
limanika wrote:
The only institutions somebody Kenyan has run with some degree of success are in financial sector I.e. banks n very few insurance companies. But these have strict rules and there's oversight by statutory umbrella bodies e.g. CBK.

KBL was a very successful company before mzungu took over

During the reign of Mahinda, another mean Kenyan.

Face of kenya ilikuwa balaaa

Now that I think of it, they should give that job to Gerald Mahinda and I can predict exactly what he will do. He will fire half the staff and double the profits within 2 years all while keeping revenue the same or even reducing revenue.

The guy is a serious cost cutter. I don't think he has any friends. If he ever shows up in Nigeria, there might be guys who may want to kill him. That is where he perfected his art of firing everyone to raise profits.
Kenyan Oracle
#25 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 5:49:38 PM

young wrote:
There are strong arguments based on some antecedents that should s Kenyan succeed out going Bob Collymore as Safaricom CEO, then in some years to come, Safaricom will crumble due to inefficiency and negative influence on the new Kenyan helmsman.

You all know am not a Kenyan so there is no bias.

My argument is as follows :-

The ongoing search scope should cover the following to locate a suitable Kenyan :-

1. Kenyans in private sector in Kenya, a core professional with impeccable integrity .

2. Kenyans in diaspora with proven integrity

3. Kenyan from public sector.

4. Kenyan already in Safaricom in executive position deemed necessary to succeed the outgoing CEO

NOTE:- Kenyan here refers to Kenyan citizen irrespective of initial country of origin.

In my native nigeria when CEO position was to be ceded from the traditional Dutch (Shell Nigeria PLC) to a Nigerian citizen, there was similar apprehension some years before.
But be informed that the Nigerian that was recruited from ExxonMobil, Houston headquarters so far is performing better than the dutch man he succeeded .

This Nigerian was a home bred personnel of our local exxonmobil but was seconded or posted to Houston USA, headquarters of ExxonMobil, he worked there for several years and got the Shell plump job.
Nigerian reputation in terms of inefficiency and corruption is worse than Kenya. How come a Nigerian is one of the best CEO'S in Royal Dutch Shell overseas geographical units?

I believe these issues depends on the individual and the exposure of such candidate and the internal recruitment and succession process of Safaricom.

Collymore himself is a British citizen by naturalization. His country of origin is Guyana. He was born and bred in Guyana before he proceeded to UK for further studies. Guyana is not better than Kenya in terms of corruption, inefficiency of the government and unemployment. It is one of the worst Caribbean countries in all ramifications . But Collymore is different.

If due diligence is taken Kenyan equivalent of Collymore can be found .
I may ask MJ, Michael Joseph, is he not a Kenyan? Is Njoroge your CBK governor not doing well?

I am not saying that foreigners are not suitable for the job. My argument is that a Kenyan candidate should NOT be ruled out.

Take a look at KCB. When I started investing in 2004 in this counter in 2004_ the CEO was a foreigner Terry Davidson.
The current CEO Mr Olgara is the second Kenyan after another Kenyan (Martins Otieno) but KCB profitability had been increasing by leaps and bounds even more than Terry era. This is irrespective of the fact that GOK is one of the majority shareholder of KCB.

I know a Kenyan friend that divested his investment from KCB since then and he is regretting now.

This is my take, a a minor tiny foreign shareholder of Safaricom.
You are also entitled to your opinion !

Regards

I have a feeling if its a Kenyan my college mate - Sylvia Wairimu Mulinge might be the next in line. She's very aggressive
You lose money chasing women, but you never lose women chasing money - NAS
VituVingiSana
#26 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 7:55:22 PM

Kusadikika wrote:
If they pick a Kenyan they need to pick the meanest, tight fisted, mkono ngumu Kenyan they can find. He should have no friends and even better no family. If he has family, let him be the most hated member of his family because of uchoyo.

Why? You ask. My answer is 99 billion shillings. 99 billion shillings can attract a lot of phone calls from many powerful people. Being a professional is not enough. To survive that job you need another kind of strength.

One of the reasons Kibaki was effective is because Kibaki is the meanest rich Kenyan who was ever created. I think I once heard John Keen say that Kibaki was so mean, he never bought anybody a beer in his life.

He is tight-fisted. He had GoK pay for his nephew's and niece's university in Australia.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
young
#27 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 8:54:59 PM

@Sylvia Mulinge recent interview with the press below:-

https://www.nation.co.ke...52104-cvkun7/index.html

Learnt she was appointed last year as Tanzania Vodacom CEO but was refused work permit by Tanzanian authorities.

I reckon you all know the story .

She is a possible successor to Bob.
I believe she is just 1 out of 8 possible choices under consideration. Reliable sources had it down the possible successors were prunned down from 40 to 8 candidates .
The wazua spirit as members is to educate and inform and learn from others within the limit of what we know in any chosen area irrespective of our differences in tribes, nationalities, etc. .
obiero
#28 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 9:21:54 PM

young wrote:

Learnt she was appointed last year as Tanzania Vodacom CEO but was refused work permit by Tanzanian authorities.

I believe she is just 1 out of 8 possible choices under consideration. Reliable sources had it down the possible successors were prunned down from 40 to 8 candidates .

She's good but murder case DUI via hit and run still haunts her

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
young
#29 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2019 10:09:11 PM

obiero wrote:
young wrote:

@Bwana Obiero .......

Just hearing the story now that happened in 2015 as per link below:-

https://www.businessdail...5684-b0wxidz/index.html

Will this jeopardize her chances ?
Is the case still open with the police ?
Is this the reason why Tanzania refused to grant her work permit as Vodacom Tanzania CEO?
The wazua spirit as members is to educate and inform and learn from others within the limit of what we know in any chosen area irrespective of our differences in tribes, nationalities, etc. .
obiero
#30 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2019 8:33:20 AM

young wrote:
obiero wrote:
young wrote:

@Bwana Obiero .......

Just hearing the story now that happened in 2015 as per link below:-

https://www.businessdail...5684-b0wxidz/index.html

Will this jeopardize her chances ?
Is the case still open with the police ?
Is this the reason why Tanzania refused to grant her work permit as Vodacom Tanzania CEO?

Bwana @young like all excellent humans, she fights an extremity.. Its sad that no one single successful woman lacks a heavy character downside, look at Oprah, Wangari Maathai, Theresa May, Orie Rogo, Justice Ndungu etc I wish her well though, she's intelligent and a perfect networker. Plus Waita is now the kings whisperer, so if she wants it, she will get it!

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
young
#31 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2019 12:05:40 PM

So sorry for the demise of amiable Bob the CEO of safaricom.
murchr
#32 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2019 1:29:01 PM

May he RIP
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
FRM2011
#33 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2019 3:00:55 PM

No Kenyan has the nerves of steel required to do this job.

Take Oigara for example. Those of us who are old enough remember kcb struggling with bad (political) loans around year 2000. They once made a loss of 3B when no kenyan corporate had made a profit of 3B. Gareth George, Davidson and Martin Oduor set a foundation where they insulated kcb from political interference.

The 1.2B Weston hotel loan given under oigara brings back the scary memories from the past. We all agree oigara is a professional with integrity but he couldn't say no to political influence.

KCAA has already obtained court orders prohibiting anyone from dealing in the land. KCB will have to downgrade the loan facility and provide appropriately. All because their CEO didn't have the balls to tell off the DP.

Sylvia Mulinge was once hit and killed a pedestrian. No big deal because accidents happen all the time. But the victim's family has had it rough because the file mysteriously disappeared.

Knowing Jubilee, they would love to have mulinge heading safcom. She would be the perfect fit for their shenanigans.
Fyatu
#34 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2019 3:05:02 PM

FRM2011 wrote:

Take Oigara for example. Those of us who are old enough remember kcb struggling with bad (political) loans around year 2000. They once made a loss of 3B when no kenyan corporate had made a profit of 3B. Gareth George, Davidson and Martin Oduor set a foundation where they insulated kcb from political interference.

The 1.2B Weston hotel loan given under oigara brings back the scary memories from the past. We all agree oigara is a professional with integrity but he couldn't say no to political influence.

KCAA has already obtained court orders prohibiting anyone from dealing in the land. KCB will have to downgrade the loan facility and provide appropriately. All because their CEO didn't have the balls to tell off the DP.

Sylvia Mulinge was once hit and killed a pedestrian. No big deal because accidents happen all the time. But the victim's family has had it rough because the file mysteriously disappeared.

Knowing Jubilee, they would love to have mulinge heading safcom. She would be the perfect fit for their shenanigans.

one word...RESIST!
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
murchr
#35 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2019 4:03:53 PM

Fyatu wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

one word...RESIST!

As who?

A South African will be CEO
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
VituVingiSana
#36 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2019 9:27:53 PM

May BC find peace.
Bob did a great job in many ways for Safaricom and Kenya.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#37 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2019 10:06:27 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
May BC find peace.
Bob did a great job in many ways for Safaricom and Kenya.

He was a great man
Ericsson
#38 Posted : Monday, July 01, 2019 10:08:00 PM

murchr wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

one word...RESIST!

As who?

A South African will be CEO

The board was meeting today evening to choose the interim ceo and make an announcement 📢 tomorrow
Angelica _ann
#39 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2019 8:43:11 AM

Michael Joseph back as Acting CEO
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Ericsson
#40 Posted : Tuesday, July 02, 2019 9:05:41 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Michael Joseph back as Acting CEO

With immediate effect