wazua Tue, Apr 23, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages123>»
SGR officially dead. What next?
nairobby
#1 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 9:40:11 PM

SGR construction to end in Naivasha as funding wasn't be secured. Kenya wouldn't be able add 378 billion debt to finance Naivasha - Kisumu to its balance sheet anyway. What next now for this white elephant?

https://twitter.com/citi...atus/1121837800247234560
murchr
#2 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 10:00:22 PM

I don't think the Naivasha Kisumu part was to be on SGR, Metre gauge yes. Listen from 1.30. Media these days is about fake news

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Ericsson
#3 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 11:32:39 PM

murchr wrote:
I don't think the Naivasha Kisumu part was to be on SGR, Metre gauge yes. Listen from 1.30. Media these days is about fake news

KBC seems to be the exception of fake news.They gave the truth way before
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Ericsson
#4 Posted : Friday, April 26, 2019 11:35:50 PM

[quote=nairobby]SGR construction to end in Naivasha as funding wasn't be secured. Kenya wouldn't be able add 378 billion debt to finance Naivasha - Kisumu to its balance sheet anyway. What next now for this white elephant?

https://twitter.com/citi...tus/1121837800247234560[/quote]

It will continue running.
Now is the chance to redeem the country by reducing the debt burden
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
kenyan2019
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 8:54:40 AM

I hope the MPs will stand against the subsidy.
limanika
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 9:21:24 AM

I'm very happy China is asking the right questions. Now we need to know if there was ever a feasibility done for the Naivasha-Kisumu line that govt was using to solicit for the funds. If it was there, what is it that the Chinese were not happy with?. And does govt have any experts who could advise the feasibility was not adding up? why wait for cold water to be poured on your document in a foreign land? Though I highly suspect there was none.
nairobby
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 10:03:33 AM

murchr wrote:

It was part of the plans let's not get it twisted. It seems they already knew they weren't getting funding for phase 2B when China asked for a feasibility study last year thus giving Uganda land for a dry port to at least make the line that's been built feasible.
hardwood
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 10:39:16 AM

In my view there was no need to extend the SGR to kisumu and Uganda. Naivasha is a central place where everyone from western, kitale, turkana, kisii, migori, maralal etc can collect their cargo.

Also the SGR was being built to serve kenyans not ugandans so no need to tax wanjiku to extend rail to uganda border. The british built the rail to kampala because at the time their interest was uganda, the pearl of africa, and not kenya.
newfarer
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 12:31:43 PM

Economic prophet, David ndii saw this coming and warned us .we stoned him for being a prophet of doom

https://mobile.nation.co...xhtml-bprsh4/index.html

https://www.theeastafric...-unpleasant-arithmetic/

https://www.tuko.co.ke/2...lity-sgr-david-ndii.html
punda amecheka
murchr
#10 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 4:39:18 PM

newfarer wrote:

Calm down its not dead prophet of doom.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
obiero
#11 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 6:20:07 PM

murchr wrote:
newfarer wrote:

Calm down its not dead prophet of doom.

It's a very convenient train from Coast to Nairobi.. The cost was exorbitant but it is a good service

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Impunity
#12 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 7:29:01 PM

If they can refurbish the MGR to Kisumu, it can just work very well...moving cargo at 60km/h is internationally accepted.
Passengers who want to go fast to Kisumu can use KQ.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

kayhara
#13 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 10:25:44 PM

Uhuru Ruto will leave without any complete project and a whole list of failed ones from she, 10k annuity roads, huduma namba, cancelled runway and Greenfield terminal and I doubt the current projects Will be complete by the time the 2 leave,
To Each His Own
hardwood
#14 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2019 10:34:52 PM

I understand the chinese have been surveying the lunatic railway to eldoret and kisumu. Seems plans have been underway to upgrade this reli.

Impunity
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2019 1:23:46 AM

hardwood wrote:
I understand the chinese have been surveying the lunatic railway to eldoret and kisumu. Seems plans have been underway to upgrade this reli.

Its not "upgrade" but to "refurbish"....githeri media don't know tofauti.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

mkenyan
#16 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2019 9:35:45 PM

Impunity wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Its not "upgrade" but to "refurbish"....githeri media don't know tofauti.

it is hardwook who has said upgrade. or he is the githeri media?
sparkly
#17 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2019 11:19:27 PM

[quote=nairobby]SGR construction to end in Naivasha as funding wasn't be secured. Kenya wouldn't be able add 378 billion debt to finance Naivasha - Kisumu to its balance sheet anyway. What next now for this white elephant?

Foolishly looking at the small picture. For your information:
1. Plans for standard gauge railway lines to connect East Africa to West Africa and Cape to Cairo;
2. Plans go back over 100 yrs ago when the British ruled most of Africa;
3. Landfaced countries have to invest in SGR before the landlocked countries, common sennse since railways must terminate at seaports hence Kenya has to commit before UG, SS, CAR;
4. Might not happen in your lifetime but will happen anyway. Historical attempts to connect the East to the West, around or through African well documented re. Vasco Da Gama and Suez Canal.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Monk
#18 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 6:48:16 AM

limanika wrote:
I'm very happy China is asking the right questions. Now we need to know if there was ever a feasibility done for the Naivasha-Kisumu line that govt was using to solicit for the funds. If it was there, what is it that the Chinese were not happy with?. And does govt have any experts who could advise the feasibility was not adding up? why wait for cold water to be poured on your document in a foreign land? Though I highly suspect there was none.

From my recollection, there was no feasibility study on the MSA-NBI section either. Kimunya, the Kibaki era minister reported that they got the SGR Chinese contractor to do the FS, despite the obvious conflict of interest in such an arrangement. I wouldn't call that a feasibility study, and the minister embarrassed us as a country.
nairobby
#19 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 9:51:02 AM

sparkly wrote:

1. Plans for standard gauge railway lines to connect East Africa to West Africa and Cape to Cairo;
3. Landfaced countries have to invest in SGR before the landlocked countries, common sennse since railways must terminate at seaports hence Kenya has to commit before UG, SS, CAR;
4. Might not happen in your lifetime but will happen anyway. Historical attempts to connect the East to the West, around or through African well documented re. Vasco Da Gama and Suez Canal.

Rail is ancient technology. Rail only accounts for 30% of freight in Europe. I don't know what magic you people think this railway will produce. The fact that we have to subsidise it to work says it all.
sparkly
#20 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 10:44:25 AM

nairobby wrote:
sparkly wrote:

Rail is ancient technology. Rail only accounts for 30% of freight in Europe. I don't know what magic you people think this railway will produce. The fact that we have to subsidise it to work says it all.

Africa is not Europe..Western Europe is size of Congo.
Life is short. Live passionately.