wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Cyclone Idai
Lolest!
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 10:30:09 AM

In my ignorance, I thought they only happen in the Americas & East Asia. Closer home. Upto 1000 feared dead.

Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
wukan
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 11:09:47 AM

Tropical cyclones happen I remember the one which impacted kenya in 1993 washed away a railway bridge and a train plunged. This one is the strongest in the southern hemisphere.

Climate change is real. Even in the American Midwest there are having record-breaking floods.
hardwood
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 11:36:09 AM

wukan wrote:
Tropical cyclones happen I remember the one which impacted kenya in 1993 washed away a railway bridge and a train plunged. This one is the strongest in the southern hemisphere.

Climate change is real. Even in the American Midwest there are having record-breaking floods.

Climate change is a hoax. Hurricanes, cyclones, droughts, floods, landslides, el nino, la nina etc have been occurring for ages. But nowadays everyone blames climate change. It's the new catchphrase.
hardwood
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 11:45:07 AM

Flashback 19 yrs ago feb-march 2000, Cyclone Leon-Eline hit mozambique killing hundreds and displacing thousands. The same has happened this yr. These are cyclic natural events.

https://en.wikipedia.org...lone_Leon%E2%80%93Eline

hardwood
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 11:54:59 AM

There will be heavy floods next month in Kenya and everyone will blame climate change just like they are blaming climate change for the current high temps.
wukan
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 11:57:47 AM

hardwood wrote:
wukan wrote:

Climate change is a hoax. Hurricanes, cyclones, droughts, floods, landslides, el nino, la nina etc have been occurring for ages. But nowadays everyone blames climate change. It's the new catchphrase.

Human induced global warming is what is a hoax. Earth's climate has been known to undergo extreme changes some resulting in collapse of civilization so climate change is not a hoax. If these climate events have been occurring for ages how does it become a hoax?
hardwood
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 12:21:47 PM

wukan wrote:
hardwood wrote:
wukan wrote:

Human induced global warming is what is a hoax. Earth's climate has been known to undergo extreme changes some resulting in collapse of civilization so climate change is not a hoax. If these climate events have been occurring for ages how does it become a hoax?

Then call these events normal climatic events, not stating that "climate change is real". When you say climate change it implies something extraordinary is happening with the climate. The "climate change/global warming movement" has become a money minting business. Read this article below and see what a big scam it is:

Climate change: this is the worst scientific scandal of our generation

https://www.telegraph.co...l-of-our-generation.html
wukan
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 12:40:47 PM

hardwood wrote:
wukan wrote:
hardwood wrote:
wukan wrote:

Then call these events normal climatic events, not stating that "climate change is real". When you say climate change it implies something extraordinary is happening with the climate. The "climate change/global warming movement" has become a money minting business. Read this article below and see what a big scam it is:

https://www.telegraph.co...-of-our-generation.html

But something extraordinary is happening to the climate. Cyclone Idai was on the scale of category 3 hurricane which is unusual for the southern hemisphere. The frequency of droughts in east africa is also increasing. Our weather guys actually said that the cyclone is going to disrupt our long rain season.

Something is off with our weather patterns and we need to build climate change resilience. I looked at the aerial photos of Beira and wondered why they are still doing bungalows instead of developing high rise apartments.
hardwood
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 1:27:40 PM

wukan wrote:
hardwood wrote:
wukan wrote:
hardwood wrote:
wukan wrote:

https://www.telegraph.co...-of-our-generation.html

But something extraordinary is happening to the climate. Cyclone Idai was on the scale of category 3 hurricane which is unusual for the southern hemisphere. The frequency of droughts in east africa is also increasing. Our weather guys actually said that the cyclone is going to disrupt our long rain season.

Something is off with our weather patterns and we need to build climate change resilience. I looked at the aerial photos of Beira and wondered why they are still doing bungalows instead of developing high rise apartments.

Because living in a house with an own compound is better than living in a communal residential block.
essyk
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 9:12:21 PM

A BBC journalist based in Mozambique called Daniel Arap Moi caught my attention juzi.
Heavy rains are expected in Kenya soon, so those N.E and Coastal leaders had better prepare themselves.
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
harrydre
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 11:49:21 AM

Climate change is real. There is a river in my shags that I have always known to be yuge since growing up. Juzi I was there and could barely recognize the stream!
i.am.back!!!!
harrydre
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 11:56:05 AM

Ways to help
i.am.back!!!!
hardwood
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 12:08:52 PM

harrydre wrote:
Climate change is real. There is a river in my shags that I have always known to be yuge since growing up. Juzi I was there and could barely recognize the stream!

Could the levels have dropped due to activities upstream eg deforestation, irrigation, population increase, damming, farming (duma) in the riparian zone etc or could it be due to current dry season?
murchr
#14 Posted : Saturday, March 23, 2019 8:08:34 AM

ITCZ was all sucked into Idai, and now there are 2 other cyclones heading to Australia, the rains this season might be very minimal.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
limanika
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 24, 2019 3:50:52 PM

wukan wrote:

Unless I forgot my geography, I thought cyclones don't form along the equator (5degrees plus or minus)

That said, is it well researched how cyclones affect precipitation in sorrounding zones? I understand a very strong cyclone hit south Africa in 2000 (famed then to be worst in 100yrs), same year Kenya experienced very bad draught ( worst in 60 yrs then, understandably)
Lolest!
#16 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2019 11:29:51 AM

limanika wrote:
wukan wrote:

Unless I forgot my geography, I thought cyclones don't form along the equator (5degrees plus or minus)

That said, is it well researched how cyclones affect precipitation in sorrounding zones? I understand a very strong cyclone hit south Africa in 2000 (famed then to be worst in 100yrs), same year Kenya experienced very bad draught ( worst in 60 yrs then, understandably)

Weatherman already warning us about the rains being affected by this cyclone. Our long rains season will be short
Angelica _ann
#17 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2019 11:32:41 AM

Lolest! wrote:
limanika wrote:
wukan wrote:

Weatherman already warning us about the rains being affected by this cyclone. Our long rains season will be short

When i was growing up, mid March to early May, the rains used to be crazy, this time round it is hot excess with no signs of rain. What is up?
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
hardwood
#18 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2019 11:38:58 AM

Lolest! wrote:
limanika wrote:
wukan wrote:

I beg to differ. The extreme conditions that created the cyclone will also lead to more evaporation from the indian ocean and subsequent rains inland as the ITCZ moves northwards. Therefore we should have more rains this yr since the ocean is "more disturbed".
Lolest!
#19 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2019 11:42:38 AM

Back to class. Tropical cyclones
Quote:
The term "tropical" refers to both the geographic origin of these systems, which form almost exclusively in tropical regions of the globe, and their dependence on Maritime Tropical air masses for their formation.

Tropics ni kuku huku:
Quote:
The tropics are the region of the Earth surrounding the Equator. They are delimited in latitude by The Tropic of Cancer in the Northern Hemisphere at 23°26′12.5″ (or 23.43679°) N and the Tropic of Capricorn in the Southern Hemisphere at 23°26′12.5″ (or 23.43679°) S
hardwood
#20 Posted : Monday, March 25, 2019 11:45:10 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
limanika wrote:
wukan wrote:

When i was growing up, mid March to early May, the rains used to be crazy, this time round it is hot excess with no signs of rain. What is up?

Climate change! Hehe just joking.

Anyway equinox was on March 21st and the ITCZ trails/follows the equinox by 3 weeks so expect peak rains 2nd week of April.