wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Stone coated vs Orientile vs Clay vs Shingles
MugundaMan
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 9:09:04 AM

Please advise on pros and cons of each.
Leaning towards stone coated
I hear Orientile is very noisy in the rainy season
Which ones are fit for water harvesting and which ones are not (toxic chemicals)?
I hear mbaos for some a very costly due to weight/other issues

Thanks in advance wanawazoo

Thitifini
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 6:43:04 PM

MugundaMan wrote:

Please advise on pros and cons of each.
Leaning towards stone coated
I hear Orientile is very noisy in the rainy season
Which ones are fit for water harvesting and which ones are not (toxic chemicals)?
I hear mbaos for some a very costly due to weight/other issues

Thanks in advance wanawazoo

I think there were some comprehensive topics covering this previously at the republik. Try some search see over time what's the perception.

60% Learning, 30% synthesizing, 10% Debating
MugundaMan
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 9:36:56 AM

Thanks papa,
Was just reviewing a few of them this morning: A few things I'm gleaning so far..

Decra Vs Clay:
http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...spx?g=posts&t=23681
http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...px?g=posts&m=749355

Decra
- more expensive than clay tiles
- more noise, heat (had never thought of this..kumbe people are roasting inside decra roofed homes..a no no in hot DC unless one gets an A/C unit which just spikes monthly bills.
- Looks nice though

Clay;
- cheaper than decra according to some
- no noise, no heat
- But be careful what type of clay tiles as water harvesting can only be done from a specific type
- Nice polished look

Clay seems to be winning so far IMHO

Decra Vs Clay Vs Concrete
http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...aspx?g=posts&t=6801

- Concrete tiles are toxic and cannot be used for drinking water harvesting!
- Use heavy gauge polythene under clay tiles instead of mabati (brilliant tip - ahsante A4architect!)
- Steeper roofs = less chance of leakages
- Savings on timber for Decra
- But Decra is NOT suitable for drinking water harvesting (is this true?)

Galsheet resincot vs versatile vs clay tiles vs decra
http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...sts&t=18896&p=1

- Clay tiles "beat all" according to a4architect
- His exact quotes on the pros:
Quote:

Clay tiles beat all in that
1.They are cheaper than decra, more or less same cost as mabati
2.lighter than concrete tiles hence saving on timber truss
3. Very durable and become more beautiful as they age-they get a beautiful dark brown with black spots colour as they age
4.Made form natural clay so you can drink the water as opposed to decra, concrete tiles and mabati which contain paint which contains lead which is poisonous.

Stone-coated steel tiles are an expensive imitation of clay tiles so if you can get the real tiles, the better.
Read more here
http://www.a4architect.c...or-your-house-in-kenya/
http://www.a4architect.c...by-www-a4architect-com/

Well, seems like clay tiles it will be for me! smile

hardwood
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 10:10:03 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
- Use heavy gauge polythene under clay tiles instead of mabati (brilliant tip - ahsante A4architect!)

I know someone who had to replace the polythene underlay with mabati coz the whole roof started leaking after the kartasi disintegrated. These polythenes have a life span.
Thitifini
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 10:41:00 AM

hardwood wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

I know someone who had to replace the polythene underlay with mabati coz the whole roof started leaking after the kartasi disintegrated. These polythenes have a life span.

I did the clear plastic-like mabati (forget the name) below clay tiles. Eng. say that can last generations.

By the way, how come most colonial clay tile/mbao roofs have survived that long?

60% Learning, 30% synthesizing, 10% Debating
MugundaMan
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 12:33:49 PM

Thitifini wrote:
hardwood wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

I did the clear plastic-like mabati (forget the name) below clay tiles. Eng. say that can last generations.

By the way, how come most colonial clay tile/mbao roofs have survived that long?

Fiber glass/Polycarbonate sheets?

Good idea.
Speaking of these things, are they durable? I am thinking of doing an external sun room addition as an extra living space on one of my structures.
Or better yet maybe I should just use glass all the way. The good thing is it's an outside structure so DC wagondiis (do people still use this term) can only break in and steal a few chairs and tables but will meet heavy gauge steel doors when they attempt to ingia the main house.
jamplu
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 3:04:30 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
Thitifini wrote:
hardwood wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

Good idea.
Speaking of these things, are they durable? I am thinking of doing an external sun room addition as an extra living space on one of my structures.
Or better yet maybe I should just use glass all the way. The good thing is it's an outside structure so DC wagondiis (do people still use this term) can only break in and steal a few chairs and tables but will meet heavy gauge steel doors when they attempt to ingia the main house.

For sun room go for polycarbonate (avoid Glass or perspex) profiled polycarbonate is durable and easy to work with.
Its available at MRM a little pricey but worth the money.

MugundaMan
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 4:10:48 PM

jamplu wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Thitifini wrote:
hardwood wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

Good idea.

For sun room go for polycarbonate (avoid Glass or perspex) profiled polycarbonate is durable and easy to work with.
Its available at MRM a little pricey but worth the money.

Ahsante!