wazua Thu, May 2, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
DANGER. Affluenza. Middle classes in Kenya getting FAT!
Kusadikika
#21 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 4:28:49 PM

What do these people know that we do not know? They can eat anything they want. Kwa nini hawanoni ovyo ovyo.
Kusadikika
#22 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 4:40:02 PM

As a sign of wealth Kenyans run to eat bread and cakes and chicken and chips....... meanwhile the prince quietly eats Ngwaci from Homa Bay.

https://www.standardmedi...gers-demand-for-the-crop
masukuma
#23 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 5:23:53 PM

Kusadikika wrote:

What do these people know that we do not know? They can eat anything they want. Kwa nini hawanoni ovyo ovyo.

While there are many factors... You should not eat anything you want -just because you can eat anything you want! The people getting obese these days are scratching itches. They always wished to eat these foods. They were forced to eat ugali and mboga or githeri. NOW... FAST FOOD IS CHEAP! Remember when KFC opened a branch in Junction? People queued for like a month! why? now they can eat something they saw on TV! it's all about scratching an itch! their kids may be fat now but I think they won't be much later since they will have outgrown kunona and it will no longer be considered classy.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
radiomast
#24 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 5:54:13 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately for you the evidence belies this vicious lie.

https://af.reuters.com/a...ews/idAFKBN1GZ0TK-OZATP

So I said the poverty rate is 42 %. Your article says it is 36%. How is that a vicious lie. A difference of 6% is not statistically significant given that the margin of error might be as high as 6%.

The data from UNICEF suggests that the percentage of Kenyans in poverty is 42%
https://www.unicef.org/kenya/overview_4616.html

All these numbers are roughly similar. The differences are all due to margin of error. Nice try but an epic fail

Quote:
The problem with this airtight poverty theology of yours is that it belongs to the 1980s and 1990s and some are still using knowledge they read in woebegone books from that bygone era forgetting that Kenya made great leaps forward economically after 2002. In fact even the official poverty statistics may be misleading because the economy is largely informal so it is next to impossible to track the economic activities of those in the informal sector, many of whom are listed as under the poverty line merely because the government has no formal data on them (KRA returns not filed, no bank account registered, MPESA activity may not be registered in the person's own name, business highly informalised etc etc)

This is bogus. You have a habit of calling data unreliable when you disagree with it. Whether a person is involved in the informal sector or not has no bearing on whether he is considered poor. Poverty is measured by how much a person consumes per day in dollar terms.
Quote:

Have you been to the slums lately? Laughing out loudly My friend there is a HUGE OBESITY problem there as well! Go to any slum in Kenya and you will be shocked to find 1 out of ever 5 people there are not just FAT but OBESE. Don't believe me? Read hapa and weep!

https://nairobinews.nati...tus-found-kenyas-slums/

I would advise you to read that article very carefully. It does not say 1 in 5 people who live in slums is obese. In fact it says obesity is prevalent in high income areas.

Quote:
Slums of today are not the slums of the 1980s my mubroda, even despite the dire conditions there is huge economic activity going on there that was absent in the 1980s and in fact many middle class people (and even rich - eg landlords and thriving business owners) live humo humo!

Yes there is huge economic activity going on. Its a lie to say there was no economic activity in the 1980s. I frequented Kibera in the 1980s and still do so today. I have relatives there. Most people in Kibera don't have steady employment. They just do kibarua kibarua. The moment a person's financial fortunes improve, they almost always leave.

Quote:
As the economy of Kenya has been growing at 5% plus for the past 17 years more or less, the rising tide has lifted ALL BOATS in Kenya and poverty is reducing at rapid clip as obesity sky rockets.

An economic growth rate of 5% per year is not enough to make a significant dent in unemployment.
Why?
Because the number of people entering the job market is increasing by about 5% each year.

Quote:
Obesity is a co-disease of Affluenza and there is no doubt that affluenza has been with us for quite some time now.

We agree on this. Where we disagree is your claim that affluenza is affecting all Kenyans.I have plenty of relatives who live in slum areas. Very few of my poor relatives or poor people I know in mashinani are obese. Obesity is clearly a middle class issue in Kenya.

Quote:
Is there more work to be done in reducing poverty? Absolutely. But tackling obesity too will now become a big problem, even within the slums. Gava needs to start mechanisms in place to get people live healthier more active lives so that it does not become yet another national disaster IMHO.

Again we agree on this. Gava should indeed be tackling this issue starting by addressing the issue of landgrabbing as I pointed out above
radiomast
#25 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 5:56:20 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
radiomast wrote:
Lack of space is a major factor in obesity. In the days when I grew up, every housing estate had several playing fields. It was actually a requirement by city planners that you could not build a housing estate without open spaces for vijana vijana to play. We would play inter-estate football tournaments in middle class estates. Some estates even had basketball courts and rims.

Starting around the Mid 1980s, those spaces started to dissppear as they were grabbed by bigwigs. These playing fields have all disappeared and housing estates today are all concrete and tarmac with no open spaces. So vijana growing up today have no space to play. They stay at home and play games on smartphones. Things will only get worse because the next frontier for land grabbers is schools.

Kids in slums despite the total lack of space don't have weight issues, obesity especially in kids is just a result of poor parenting.

Kids in slums dont have weight issues because they are not being fed all those processed foods that the middle class parents are buying from supermarkets.
Apricot
#26 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 5:59:15 PM

masukuma wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:

While there are many factors... You should not eat anything you want -just because you can eat anything you want! The people getting obese these days are scratching itches. They always wished to eat these foods. They were forced to eat ugali and mboga or githeri. NOW... FAST FOOD IS CHEAP! Remember when KFC opened a branch in Junction? People queued for like a month! why? now they can eat something they saw on TV! it's all about scratching an itch! their kids may be fat now but I think they won't be much later since they will have outgrown kunona and it will no longer be considered classy.

It is important to note also that fattening food is cheap in the west, Mc D, KFC’s, etc. To eat healthy means to spend more bucks on organic foods, including meat, fruits and veggies. Can’t rule out maintaining an active lifestyle, whether it is brisk walking, gardening hitting the gym or participating in sports. These guys can do all these. Many folks in the west don’t like cooking so you find long queues at Taco Bell’s or McD in the evenings and those are kind that are likely to be obese. For my middle crass Kenyans , I think it is just a fascination with fast food, especially if you felt deprived of it courtesy of your past financial ability.
First time in history we can save the human race by laying in front of the TV and doing nothing. Let's not screw it up
sitaki.kujulikana
#27 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 6:07:31 PM

radiomast wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
radiomast wrote:
Lack of space is a major factor in obesity. In the days when I grew up, every housing estate had several playing fields. It was actually a requirement by city planners that you could not build a housing estate without open spaces for vijana vijana to play. We would play inter-estate football tournaments in middle class estates. Some estates even had basketball courts and rims.

Starting around the Mid 1980s, those spaces started to dissppear as they were grabbed by bigwigs. These playing fields have all disappeared and housing estates today are all concrete and tarmac with no open spaces. So vijana growing up today have no space to play. They stay at home and play games on smartphones. Things will only get worse because the next frontier for land grabbers is schools.

Kids in slums despite the total lack of space don't have weight issues, obesity especially in kids is just a result of poor parenting.

Kids in slums dont have weight issues because they are not being fed all those processed foods that the middle class parents are buying from supermarkets.

was trying to show its not the lack of space that leads to obesity in kids, but parenting issues.
sitaki.kujulikana
#28 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 6:10:58 PM

Kusadikika wrote:

the price for getting fat is very expensive, you can be 'un royaled' smile so lazima they diet, Elizabeth is a very strict disciplinarian
tycho
#29 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2019 10:22:27 AM

Some monks in Thailand are getting obese even despite a daily lunch fast.

Suspect? Soda.

There have been investigations around this matter and it's become difficult to ascribe obesity to the so called 'affluenza'.

In fact, obesity may be rising among the poor too.

We need to be more rigorous in finding out the causes and the treatment. Even before we engage in drama.
young
#30 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 12:10:49 AM

This is SAD

SAD means Standard American Diet
The wazua spirit as members is to educate and inform and learn from others within the limit of what we know in any chosen area irrespective of our differences in tribes, nationalities, etc. .