wazua Thu, May 2, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
DANGER. Affluenza. Middle classes in Kenya getting FAT!
MugundaMan
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 12:24:42 PM

Jameni yesterday after dustbowling I made the mistake of coming into town for other shuglis and going into Naivas Kenyatta Ave-Moi Avenue Junction. Little did I know what I was in for!

1. It is obvious that afflueza has ARRIVED WITH GUSTO in this here our beautiful Kiinya. Watu wana pesa dear frens. The joint was packed to capacity. Lines so long it takes ten minutes before you are served by a cashier. Walking space is kidogo sana. Shopping carts are full to BRIM with all sorts of the usual middle class fare. Food counter where cakes and chips and other junk are being sold has a huge huddle of waiting customeres .. herein is the problem.

2. Despite the clear Affluenza in the scene above ( I have been fortunate enough to see several cities majuu and in Africa and this scene would not be out of place with the best of them) 40% of the well dressed, moneyed pipo I saw there were..and there is not gracious way to say this...FAT! . The funny thing is the tu-momos are wearing tight tight things despite the size and the male tumbos can probably act as floating devices should they take a swim. Which leads to 3 below.

3. Is it time for GoK to declare obesity a national disaster before things get worse. A fat, unhealthy population will have SERIOUS national security implications because it will imperil things like big 4 HEALTH. A fatter population is more sick, less active in enhancing GDP and the ripple effect will be disastrous.

Kenyans, tugonge gymu jameni otherwise we will all be fat, fat, fat like South Africans. Now even the kids are becoming ka momos. In our heydeys we played footie, climbed trees, run races, explored the neighbourhoods, chased birds, had boxing matches and generally had an active life so obesity was an unheard of thing.

Isatragedy.
Fyatu
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 1:06:16 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
Jameni yesterday after dustbowling I made the mistake of coming into town for other shuglis and going into Naivas Kenyatta Ave-Moi Avenue Junction. Little did I know what I was in for!

1. It is obvious that afflueza has ARRIVED WITH GUSTO in this here our beautiful Kiinya. Watu wana pesa dear frens. The joint was packed to capacity. Lines so long it takes ten minutes before you are served by a cashier. Walking space is kidogo sana. Shopping carts are full to BRIM with all sorts of the usual middle class fare. Food counter where cakes and chips and other junk are being sold has a huge huddle of waiting customeres .. herein is the problem.

2. Despite the clear Affluenza in the scene above ( I have been fortunate enough to see several cities majuu and in Africa and this scene would not be out of place with the best of them) 40% of the well dressed, moneyed pipo I saw there were..and there is not gracious way to say this...FAT! . The funny thing is the tu-momos are wearing tight tight things despite the size and the male tumbos can probably act as floating devices should they take a swim. Which leads to 3 below.

3. Is it time for GoK to declare obesity a national disaster before things get worse. A fat, unhealthy population will have SERIOUS national security implications because it will imperil things like big 4 HEALTH. A fatter population is more sick, less active in enhancing GDP and the ripple effect will be disastrous.

Kenyans, tugonge gymu jameni otherwise we will all be fat, fat, fat like South Africans. Now even the kids are becoming ka momos. In our heydeys we played footie, climbed trees, run races, explored the neighbourhoods, chased birds, had boxing matches and generally had an active life so obesity was an unheard of thing.

Isatragedy.

This is to be expected in a red hooooot economy(to quote MM). As for kids becoming momos, what do you expect when all migundas were either grabbed or bought out by investors for speculation?

Housing estates and schools are now built without kids in mind. For example 90% of all schools in Umoja/Komarock/Kayole are build on 1/8 plots.

Kids in roysambu have nowhere to play, they now play hapo underpass ya Thika superhighway.Our serikali tukufu has failed flat in matters urban planning/housing, education and public transport. Even the Kibaki we sing praises for oversaw this degeneration of society and therefore hiyo maendeleo yake hapana tambua.

Mnataka nifanye nini jameni??d'oh!
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
Swenani
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:31:54 PM

This is a sign that kiinyan economy is growing.We are literally at consumption stage
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
MugundaMan
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:44:50 PM

Fyatu wrote:

This is to be expected in a red hooooot economy(to quote MM). As for kids becoming momos, what do you expect when all migundas were either grabbed or bought out by investors for speculation?

Housing estates and schools are now built without kids in mind. For example 90% of all schools in Umoja/Komarock/Kayole are build on 1/8 plots.

Kids in roysambu have nowhere to play, they now play hapo underpass ya Thika superhighway.Our serikali tukufu has failed flat in matters urban planning/housing, education and public transport. Even the Kibaki we sing praises for oversaw this degeneration of society and therefore hiyo maendeleo yake hapana tambua.

Fyatu,

1. Thanks for admitting that this is a red-hawttttt economy on the move forward. This year we are projecting near 6% GDP growth Jameni. Slightly less than China's world-leading 7%.

2. On no space for tizi wacha jokes my mubroda Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly . Even on 1m by 1m cabro (or hata the street) the totos can do the below and stay very slim and trim!

"Lack of space" is just a euphemism for "laziness."
Imagine if your wife argued that she cannot clean the kitchen, mop the floor or cook you dinner because there is "lack of space" humo humo. Knowing you utaFyatu and throw her out head first!
MugundaMan
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:58:15 PM

Swenani wrote:
This is a sign that kiinyan economy is growing.We are literally at consumption stage

Sad but true. When South Africa economy was red hawwtt in the 80s and 90s our mu-cousins hupo got very very fat. Americans now are the fattest in the world due to many decades past of prosperity. As their economy now collapses and more become homeless obesity levels are dropping fast!!! Bachina pia are now battling with an obesity problem for the first time ever in their history.

Americans and their kids:

1 in 4 Americans is OBESE (which means basically 95% are either fat OR obese)
https://www.forbes.com/s...fographic/#62c42bc74bad

South Efrikens:

61% are fat or morbidly obese. Source:
http://sunbirdafrica.blo...ty-in-south-africa.html

Chinese:

10% of men and 15% of women are obese. Source:
https://www.theguardian....-problem-chinese-cities

Have you noticed that in all these cases it is the American style diet that is the cause: The minute the KFCs, Chicken Inns (knockoff of KFC), Mcdonalds, Pizza Inns and so on move in your country is doomed to obesity my brodas. Kenya if you are not careful, you are next!

Swenani
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 3:03:50 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
Swenani wrote:

Sad but true. When South Africa economy was red hawwtt in the 80s and 90s our mu-cousins hupo got very very fat. Americans now are the fattest in the world due to many decades past of prosperity. As their economy now collapses and more become homeless obesity levels are dropping fast!!! Bachina pia are now battling with an obesity problem for the first time ever in their history.

Americans and their kids:

1 in 4 Americans is OBESE (which means basically 95% are either fat OR obese)
https://www.forbes.com/s...fographic/#62c42bc74bad

South Efrikens:

61% are fat or morbidly obese. Source:
http://sunbirdafrica.blo...ty-in-south-africa.html

Chinese:

10% of men and 15% of women are obese. Source:
https://www.theguardian....-problem-chinese-cities

Have you noticed that in all these cases it is the American style diet that is the cause: The minute the KFCs, Chicken Inns (knockoff of KFC), Mcdonalds, Pizza Inns and so on move in your country is doomed to obesity my brodas. Kenya if you are not careful, you are next!

Why should we be sad yet we are in the last stage of Walt Whitman Rostow's 5 stages of economic development-Age of Mass consumption

We are now a developed c***rysmile
Mike Ock
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 3:05:51 PM

This is an inevitability. Obesity is a disease of privilege. Most people prefer to just do the minimum in life. The response you will get from government will probably be to shift the formal definition of obesity upwards. That's what American government did to soothe their electorates feelings Laughing out loudly
Fyatu
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 3:09:51 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

Fyatu,

1. Thanks for admitting that this is a red-hawttttt economy on the move forward. This year we are projecting near 6% GDP growth Jameni. Slightly less than China's world-leading 7%.

2. On no space for tizi wacha jokes my mubroda Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly . Even on 1m by 1m cabro (or hata the street) the totos can do the below and stay very slim and trim!

"Lack of space" is just a euphemism for "laziness."
Imagine if your wife argued that she cannot clean the kitchen, mop the floor or cook you dinner because there is "lack of space" humo humo. Knowing you utaFyatu and throw her out head first!

hahahahaha hahahaha Fair enough MM...unakuanga na jokes saa zingine.
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
radiomast
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 6:03:03 PM

Swenani wrote:

I disagree. Kenya's economy was actually much better in the 1970s and 1980s. People could afford a lot more back then in terms of housing. Back then a junior accountant could buy a 3-bedroom home in say Ngumo or South B. Also today, 60% of city dwellers live in slums. I would say less than 20% lived in the slums during the 1980s and 1970s.

radiomast
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 6:16:47 PM

Lack of space is a major factor in obesity. In the days when I grew up, every housing estate had several playing fields. It was actually a requirement by city planners that you could not build a housing estate without open spaces for vijana vijana to play. We would play inter-estate football tournaments in middle class estates. Some estates even had basketball courts and rims.

Starting around the Mid 1980s, those spaces started to dissppear as they were grabbed by bigwigs. These playing fields have all disappeared and housing estates today are all concrete and tarmac with no open spaces. So vijana growing up today have no space to play. They stay at home and play games on smartphones. Things will only get worse because the next frontier for land grabbers is schools.
hardwood
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 6:51:14 PM

radiomast wrote:
Lack of space is a major factor in obesity. In the days when I grew up, every housing estate had several playing fields. It was actually a requirement by city planners that you could not build a housing estate without open spaces for vijana vijana to play. We would play inter-estate football tournaments in middle class estates. Some estates even had basketball courts and rims.

Starting around the Mid 1980s, those spaces started to dissppear as they were grabbed by bigwigs. These playing fields have all disappeared and housing estates today are all concrete and tarmac with no open spaces. So vijana growing up today have no space to play. They stay at home and play games on smartphones. Things will only get worse because the next frontier for land grabbers is schools.

Like teh Langata Rd primary school land grab and teargassing the school kids. Land grabbers hawana aibu.
radiomast
#12 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 12:22:10 AM

Quote:

There is no national obesity disaster. What we have are islands of prosperity in a sea of poverty. Remember that 60% of Nairobians live in slums and 42% of Kenyans live in absolute poverty. Many Kenyans are so isolated from this that they tend to lose perspective.

Those Middle class parents whose kids are becoming obese should find other ways to get their children active. Start by opposing land grabbing. Petition for open spaces. And get your kids into some kind of activity so they can start building active habits early.
MugundaMan
#13 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 3:40:16 AM

radiomast wrote:
Quote:

There is no national obesity disaster. What we have are islands of prosperity in a sea of poverty. Remember that 60% of Nairobians live in slums and 42% of Kenyans live in absolute poverty. Many Kenyans are so isolated from this that they tend to lose perspective.

Those Middle class parents whose kids are becoming obese should find other ways to get their children active. Start by opposing land grabbing. Petition for open spaces. And get your kids into some kind of activity so they can start building active habits early.

Unfortunately for you the evidence belies this vicious lie.

https://af.reuters.com/a...ews/idAFKBN1GZ0TK-OZATP

The problem with this airtight poverty theology of yours is that it belongs to the 1980s and 1990s and some are still using knowledge they read in woebegone books from that bygone era forgetting that Kenya made great leaps forward economically after 2002. In fact even the official poverty statistics may be misleading because the economy is largely informal so it is next to impossible to track the economic activities of those in the informal sector, many of whom are listed as under the poverty line merely because the government has no formal data on them (KRA returns not filed, no bank account registered, MPESA activity may not be registered in the person's own name, business highly informalised etc etc)

Have you been to the slums lately? Laughing out loudly My friend there is a HUGE OBESITY problem there as well! Go to any slum in Kenya and you will be shocked to find 1 out of ever 5 people there are not just FAT but OBESE. Don't believe me? Read hapa and weep!

https://nairobinews.nati...tus-found-kenyas-slums/

Slums of today are not the slums of the 1980s my mubroda, even despite the dire conditions there is huge economic activity going on there that was absent in the 1980s and in fact many middle class people (and even rich - eg landlords and thriving business owners) live humo humo!

As the economy of Kenya has been growing at 5% plus for the past 17 years more or less, the rising tide has lifted ALL BOATS in Kenya and poverty is reducing at rapid clip as obesity sky rockets.

Obesity is a co-disease of Affluenza and there is no doubt that affluenza has been with us for quite some time now.

Is there more work to be done in reducing poverty? Absolutely. But tackling obesity too will now become a big problem, even within the slums. Gava needs to start mechanisms in place to get people live healthier more active lives so that it does not become yet another national disaster IMHO.
TNT
#14 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 9:58:41 AM

Obesity is a sign of poverty, not wealth. I'm yet to see an obese billionaire anywhere in the world, including Kenya. Example, when Oprah was poor, she was obese. When she got rich, she lost all the unwanted weight. Fast food, which is linked to obesity, is probably the cheapest food in the world.
Swenani
#15 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 10:04:28 AM

radiomast wrote:
Quote:

Source of this stat?2009 population census says otherwise
MugundaMan
#16 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 10:47:13 AM

TNT wrote:
Obesity is a sign of poverty, not wealth. I'm yet to see an obese billionaire anywhere in the world, including Kenya. Example, when Oprah was poor, she was obese. When she got rich, she lost all the unwanted weight. Fast food, which is linked to obesity, is probably the cheapest food in the world.

This na not true oo! Kamata exampulus kindogo kindogo....

Billionaire criminal Raj Rajaratnam

Njenga Karume R.I.P

Fafa

Matiba R.I.P.

Sir Charles wa Kabeteshire

Carlos slim is not so slim

Pedo Buffett has had one too many cokes

Mafuta cheeks Dangote

Richard Maponya almost as big as Oloitiptip was!

POTUS ndiye huyo huyo

And we can go on and on and on in fact finding a slim billionaire is an anomaly, not the reverse!

TNT
#17 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 10:54:50 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
TNT wrote:

This na not true oo! Kamata exampulus kindogo kindogo....

Billionaire criminal Raj Rajaratnam

Njenga Karume R.I.P

Fafa

Matiba R.I.P.

Sir Charles wa Kabeteshire

Carlos slim is not so slim

Pedo Buffett has had one too many cokes

Mafuta cheeks Dangote

Richard Maponya almost as big as Oloitiptip was!

POTUS ndiye huyo huyo

And we can go on and on and on in fact finding a slim billionaire is an anomaly, not the reverse!

Those are all pictures of octogenarians, who are in pretty amazing shape for their ages. You've even thrown a 96-year-old, a 100-year-old Njonjo, and an ailing Matiba in the mix to push your twisted agenda. Still, none of those dinosaurs is even close to being obese. Fact is obesity is a poor man's condition. Try again.
MugundaMan
#18 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 11:55:52 AM

So kumbe you are obese and did not know so Laughing out loudly If these guys are in "great shape" according to you I shudder to imagine what those in b you think are in bad shape look like!!
What's your definition of obesity?

Is 48 year old billionaire James Packer, Mariah Carey's ex a good enough example for ya? smile Surely I have provided ENOUGH examples to debunk your billionaires are not fat myth, ama?

TNT
#19 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 12:35:30 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
So kumbe you are obese and did not know so Laughing out loudly If these guys are in "great shape" according to you I shudder to imagine what those in b you think are in bad shape look like!!
What's your definition of obesity?

Is 48 year old billionaire James Packer, Mariah Carey's ex a good enough example for ya? smile Surely I have provided ENOUGH examples to debunk your billionaires are not fat myth, ama?

The Chinese and Americans photos you've posted above, that's my definition of obese. For every 1 Parker, they are literally 10,000 Bezoes, Musks, Zuckerbergs, Meralis, Dangotes, Abramoviches, Kerry Parkers etc etc, which means likes of Parker Junior are the exception that proves the rule, getting fat off daddy's small handouts..
sitaki.kujulikana
#20 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 1:52:34 PM

radiomast wrote:

Kids in slums despite the total lack of space don't have weight issues, obesity especially in kids is just a result of poor parenting.