wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123>
What would you do with 5 acres in Kitengela?
TNT
#21 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:22:06 AM

Xymalos wrote:
I have 5 acres, with borehole water that I intend to use to generate income in retirement. I am thinking of low risk hustle free agriculture (hobby agriculture??) .. like growing fruits (passion, mangoes, avocados). What would you suggest I do with the 5 acres (of course not subdivide)?

Lease it out for 2 or 3 seasons and see what the lessee will farm. If the lessee is successful, simply copy him or her. If the lessee is not successful, repeat the process. I hear good farming land in Kitengela can for as much as 50K per acre per season.
MugundaMan
#22 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:58:04 AM

hardwood wrote:

He could try pig farming like his jirani huko dutbowl.

https://www.nation.co.ke...70410-xwa3w0/index.html

Smart kamzee Applause
wal6807
#23 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 12:55:43 PM

You are sitting on a gold mine i know some one with a setup just like yours who is doing well also in kitengela growing onions and other veges on green houses etc Physical presence is a must though other wise you will be taken to the cleaners by the workers.
"Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers."
•Socrates (470?-399 BC)
Chaka
#24 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:51:01 PM

Borehole water these sides is supposed to be salty?So does the mzee purify the water or the pigs are ok with it?

[quote=hardwood]

https://www.nation.co.ke...70410-xwa3w0/index.html[/quote]
Swenani
#25 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 3:07:28 PM

TNT wrote:
Xymalos wrote:
I have 5 acres, with borehole water that I intend to use to generate income in retirement. I am thinking of low risk hustle free agriculture (hobby agriculture??) .. like growing fruits (passion, mangoes, avocados). What would you suggest I do with the 5 acres (of course not subdivide)?

Lease it out for 2 or 3 seasons and see what the lessee will farm. If the lessee is successful, simply copy him or her. If the lessee is not successful, repeat the process. I hear good farming land in Kitengela can for as much as 50K per acre per season.

50K net or gross?
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Angelica _ann
#26 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 3:53:57 PM

Pig farming, you never go wrong and nobody steals from you, at least in County 43 - they think it is saitan (plus mbolea for the farm all year round). Huku even if you bread totally white or black goats, you are good to go.

Poultry / Kuku wachia wenyewe wasted time for others to benefit.

So as a start put a pig rearing project and plant grafted fruits - mangoes and avocados you wont regret it.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Xymalos
#27 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 6:59:00 PM

hardwood wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Xymalos wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
[quote=Xymalos]I have 5 acres, with borehole water that I intend to use to generate income in retirement. I am thinking of low risk hustle free agriculture (hobby agriculture??) .. like growing fruits (passion, mangoes, avocados). What would you suggest I do with the 5 acres (of course not subdivide)?

My friend uko na 5 acres in beautiful dustbowl WITH A BOREHOLE na unakaa tu ndeeeeeeh kimalala not knowing what to do? Laughing out loudly I hope you are not working earning a crumbling payslip at a corporate gig while at it!

My suggestion given these disturbing facts is to sell to Mugundaman or someone like him yesterday!

@MugandaMan, I used a corporate pay-slip to buy the land and sink a borehole. Now its time to make use of the land instead of the land laying idle. I was thinking of growing less perishable crops like fruits .. but hay idea suggested earlier is appealing. What would you use the land for if it was yours?

I have already answered, my broda. As someone pointed out hapo juu, you cannot have one foot in the payslip nation and the other foot doing farming by telephone and expect to go far. The best bet is to sell to a hands on Mugundaman and then reinvest in something passive that will not trouble your mind as you continue to work in corporate Kiinya.

@Hardwood - thank you sharing. That's a beautiful successful pig rearing project! Noted.
Xymalos
#28 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 7:05:38 PM

wal6807 wrote:
You are sitting on a gold mine i know some one with a setup just like yours who is doing well also in kitengela growing onions and other veges on green houses etc Physical presence is a must though other wise you will be taken to the cleaners by the workers.

@wal6807 - Onions are a good candidate - less perishable. Sad that workers may not be reliable/trustworthy. I am thinking of hiring young agriculturist/horticulturist on part-time/contractual basis to maximize production.
Xymalos
#29 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 7:10:23 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Pig farming, you never go wrong and nobody steals from you, at least in County 43 - they think it is saitan (plus mbolea for the farm all year round). Huku even if you bread totally white or black goats, you are good to go.

So as a start put a pig rearing project and plant grafted fruits - mangoes and avocados you wont regret it.

Thank you @Angelica _ann. Grafted fruits was always my dream. Will identify which ones fit that climatic zone; pig farming now looking interesting ... but I understand I need to be physically there a lot more. Impressed that pig theft is not an issue!
Xymalos
#30 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 7:13:45 PM

Chaka wrote:
Borehole water these sides is supposed to be salty?So does the mzee purify the water or the pigs are ok with it?

[quote=hardwood]

@chaka - water is good; not salty - says hydro-geochemist.
Chaka
#31 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2019 7:31:48 PM

Can you expound on this statement..

Angelica _ann wrote:

MugundaMan
#32 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 4:22:20 AM

Xymalos wrote:
Chaka wrote:

[quote=hardwood]

@chaka - water is good; not salty - says hydro-geochemist.

Wukan would disagree
According to him there is NO fresh water ANYWHERE in beautiful dustbowl county. Laughing out loudly
TNT
#33 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 9:55:50 AM

Swenani wrote:
TNT wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

50K net or gross?

Net, for prime farming land.
jokes
#34 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 1:30:15 PM

Gathige wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

@ Xymalos, Congratulations for achieving such. That's quite a sizeable chunk of land. Unless you have engaged an agronomist, and got recommendations fruits may not due very well in that area. Avocados for such wont.

My 2 banglapesa suggestions,

1. Fence the place with good cedar posts and do a chain link fence, mbuzi tight.
2. Put up a temporary structure and get a caretaker full time for a salary of not more than 5k a month.
3. Plough the place and harrow, for max 50k
4. Buy good boma Rhodes seeds, and plant before the rains in April
5. First year you get like 1000 bales . Harvesting and balling max 100 bob per bale. Sell each bale at 300 bob for you make 200k . Year 2 production doubles am deathly by year 3-5 yrs due to regeration you may get up to 300k per year

Minimal costs, no much risks and very high demand for hay during the dry season. They when you retire there you can do your hobby farming.

Risks.

1. Maasai goats and cows during the dry season. The herders can cut the fence if your caretakers winks.

Good luck

This is the best idea i have read in a long time. Thank you Gathige.
Gathige
#35 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 2:15:22 PM

jokes wrote:
Gathige wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

@ Xymalos, Congratulations for achieving such. That's quite a sizeable chunk of land. Unless you have engaged an agronomist, and got recommendations fruits may not due very well in that area. Avocados for such wont.

My 2 banglapesa suggestions,

1. Fence the place with good cedar posts and do a chain link fence, mbuzi tight.
2. Put up a temporary structure and get a caretaker full time for a salary of not more than 5k a month.
3. Plough the place and harrow, for max 50k
4. Buy good boma Rhodes seeds, and plant before the rains in April
5. First year you get like 1000 bales . Harvesting and balling max 100 bob per bale. Sell each bale at 300 bob for you make 200k . Year 2 production doubles am deathly by year 3-5 yrs due to regeration you may get up to 300k per year

Minimal costs, no much risks and very high demand for hay during the dry season. They when you retire there you can do your hobby farming.

Risks.

1. Maasai goats and cows during the dry season. The herders can cut the fence if your caretakers winks.

Good luck

This is the best idea i have read in a long time. Thank you Gathige.

@Jokes, Welcome. I have some 12 acres in greater dustbowl and that's what i do. I wish i knew how to upload photos, i would have shared
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Chaka
#36 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2019 7:03:26 PM

Where do you source the grass seeds from?
Gathige wrote:

@Jokes, Welcome. I have some 12 acres in greater dustbowl and that's what i do. I wish i knew how to upload photos, i would have shared

Gathige
#37 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2019 5:53:33 AM

Chaka wrote:
Gathige wrote:

@ Chaka, Kenya seeds sells certified grass seeds. Try them if you need some.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Chaka
#38 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2019 12:05:36 PM

Thanks..
Gathige wrote:
Chaka wrote:
Gathige wrote:

@ Chaka, Kenya seeds sells certified grass seeds. Try them if you need some.

Angelica _ann
#39 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2019 4:46:03 PM

Chaka wrote:
Can you expound on this statement..

Angelica _ann wrote:

Doing this in Homa bay county so the problems ni mob sana:
1. My brothers are very very lazy (still waiting for Baba to be president smile ) to getting workers who are consistent is hard/difficult. Therefore you keep on changing workers - results in inconsistency in performance in terms of production.

2. Workers not following instructs in terms of feeding schedules and administration of dawa - results poor production.

3. Feeds are not available locally resulting in higher transport costs.

4. Remote control farming resulting on being cheated mara kuku wamekufa, kuibiwa etc. Lies, lies, lies from workers.

5. Stealing from young-men who are not ready to work but reap/steal once you have worked hard and reared them to maturity.

6. Market is available but then again mainly in the surrounding towns - again higher transport costs.

Etc.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Chaka
#40 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2019 6:32:47 PM

Ok..for #1 why not import from say western?On top of his pay,the jamaa can be given some free chicken when they mature smile
For #3,omena is a good raw material and shud be nearby?You can also grow other raw materials like sunflower,maize etc..if the land is avbl?
Angelica _ann wrote:

Doing this in Homa bay county so the problems ni mob sana:
1. My brothers are very very lazy (still waiting for Baba to be president smile ) to getting workers who are consistent is hard/difficult. Therefore you keep on changing workers - results in inconsistency in performance in terms of production.

2. Workers not following instructs in terms of feeding schedules and administration of dawa - results poor production.

3. Feeds are not available locally resulting in higher transport costs.

4. Remote control farming resulting on being cheated mara kuku wamekufa, kuibiwa etc. Lies, lies, lies from workers.

5. Stealing from young-men who are not ready to work but reap/steal once you have worked hard and reared them to maturity.

6. Market is available but then again mainly in the surrounding towns - again higher transport costs.

Etc. [/quote]