wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
1m invested near Nairobi 10yrs ago now worth 8.5m
MugundaMan
#1 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 2:40:34 PM

https://www.capitalfm.co...3i5c6wBBtR8jKoto7JbAFac

Quote:
Nairobi satellite towns have experienced exponential growth driven by housing demand/File

By KENNEDY KANGETHE, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 24 – If you bought land around Nairobi for Sh1m in 2007, the value has now grown eight times.

This is according to the HassConsult Land Price Index Quarter Four 2018 report that lists 14 satellite towns that have multiplied in land value over the last decade.

The Nairobi Satellite towns include Athi River, Juja, Mlolongo, Limuru, Kitengela, Ngong, Ongata Rongai, Ruaka, Ruiru, Syokimau, Thika, Tigoni, Kiserian and Kiambu.

According to the report, if you invested the same Sh1 million in land in Nairobi Suburbs you would be worth Sh6.3 million, with the suburbs being Kilimani, Kitusuru, Upperhill, Westlands, Runda, Spring Valley, Nyari, Muthaiga, Kileleshwa, Karen, Gigiri, Eastleigh, Donholm, Loresho, Ridgeways, Parklands and Langata.

The same amount invested in property such us rentals, value has gone up to Sh2.47 million,
while bonds and savings would have given you a return of Sh2.54 million and Sh1.31 million respectively but lost Sh480,000 if you invested in equities Laughing out loudly .

HassConsult Head of Development Sakina Hassanali says land in Nairobi has appreciated by 700 percent in the last ten years outperforming global asset classes that include both Gold and Oil.

“Globally commodities are falling while and prices in Kenya continue to rise on average of 70 percent per year, compared to 50 to 20 percent in 10 year for other commodities. Going forward, Land will continue to outperform commodities as the government continue to invest in infrastructure throughout the country,” she said.

Gold prices went up by 155 percent in the last decade, live cattle by 127 percent while crude oil was the worst performing in the period increasing by 56.6 percent in value.

Overall the market for land is becoming more sophisticated. Where change is underway, the returns remain outstanding for any asset class, but in areas that are now more fully developed, often a high density, prices are now more static,” said Hasannali.

This is a no-brainer we have all been harping about since we joined this forum.

And of course Dustbowl County is GROUND ZERO of this metro-Nairobi property price appreciation Dancing .

And if you think this red hot price appreciation so far is a big deal you have not seen ANYTHING yet. Those who invest in DC near metro-Nairobi are the ones who will reap the biggest from Kenya's future red hot economic growth. Especially after big 4 housing officially kicks off and SGR to Naivasha is complete!

Weelll, so much for the mugunda doomsayers and "equities investors making a killing on Mumias" Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Angelica _ann
#2 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 2:53:11 PM

Kila nyani na starehe zake smile
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
MugundaMan
#3 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 4:48:42 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:

My mbradhees S Mutaga IV CFA CPS mbrrrr chwaaff ESQ, Stock picker par excellence Ngwaaah and Mr Ebenyo a.k.a Mr "Stock Market is the highest returns sector on earth" are both incredibly quiet on this thread, jameni.Laughing out loudly
MaichBlack
#4 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 6:20:58 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

My mbradhees S Mutaga IV CFA CPS mbrrrr chwaaff ESQ, Stock picker par excellence Ngwaaah and Mr Ebenyo a.k.a Mr "Stock Market is the highest returns sector on earth" are both incredibly quiet on this thread, jameni.Laughing out loudly

You start a thread at 2:40 pm and expect people to be all over it in two hours??? Some might not even see it till Monday because they probably have that funny thing called..... life!!!

Give it time. They will eventually see the thread.
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
MugundaMan
#5 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 6:38:38 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

You start a thread at 2:40 pm and expect people to be all over it in two hours??? Some might not even see it till Monday because they probably have that funny thing called..... life!!!

We have a life too mbradzee
What do you think yapping on Wazoo fuaaaaaaaaa is?
Not everybody is a member of payslip drudgery nation my mbuddie.
Twengine twitu need to kill time while the $$ rolls in pole pole in dribs and drabs. See my Airtel 99 bob 1 GB thread for more.

MaichBlack
#6 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 6:46:57 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

We have a life too mbradzee
What do you think yapping on Wazoo fuaaaaaaaaa is?
Not everybody is a member of payslip drudgery nation my mbuddie.
Twengine twitu need to kill time while the $$ rolls in pole pole in dribs and drabs. See my Airtel 99 bob 1 GB thread for more.

Of course but that doesn't mean they are free/idle at the same time. You need to relax.You can't start telling people they are "too quiet on this thread" two hours after it is started.
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
MugundaMan
#7 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 6:51:53 PM

MaichBlack wrote:

Of course but that doesn't mean they are free/idle at the same time. You need to relax.You can't start telling people they are "too quiet on this thread" two hours after it is started.

Cytonn report writing Wukan pia with his Ngara slum bedsitter addiction is also incredibly quiet as well Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
S.Mutaga III
#8 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 6:55:11 PM

1 million invested in Safaricom on 23rd January 2009 is worth about 9.3 million today.
Initial buying price = Ksh 3.10 per share.
Current price = Ksh 24 per share.
The investor would have afforded about 320,000 shares. Dividends earned since then at 5% withholding tax are as follows.
2009 = @0.1 per share Ksh 30,400
2010 = @0.2 per share Ksh 60,800
2011 = @0.2 per share Ksh 60,800
2012 = @0.22 per share Ksh 66,880
2013 = @0.31 per share Ksh 94, 240
2014 = @0.47 per share Ksh 142,880
2015 = @0.64 per share ksh 194, 560
2016 (special dividend) = @0.68 per share Ksh 206, 720
2016 (final dividend) = @0.76 per share Ksh 231,040
2017 = @0.97 per share Ksh 294,880
2018 = @1.10 per share Ksh 334,400

Total Dividend Income = Ksh 1,717,600

Ksh 1,717,600 + (Ksh 320,000*24)= Ksh 9,397,600

1 million invested exactly 10 years ago in Safaricom is now worth 9.3 million assuming that the investor did not re-invest the dividends to compound returns. If he/she had compounded the returns i.e dividends, the return would be higher.

Unlike the stories given by journalists, you can verify this return at the comfort of your home in near precise shilling figures.

@Mugundaman, both land and stocks are great investments if you know what you are doing. You should not write off other investment vehicles just because you don't understand them. Stick to land and make those returns. The end justifies the means.

Happy Hunting.
A successful man is not he who gets the best, it is he who makes the best from what he gets.
MugundaMan
#9 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 7:05:12 PM

S.Mutaga III wrote:
1 million invested in Safaricom on 23rd January 2009 is worth about 9.3 million today.
Initial buying price = Ksh 3.10 per share.
Current price = Ksh 24 per share.
The investor would have afforded about 320,000 shares. Dividends earned since then at 5% withholding tax are as follows.
2009 = @0.1 per share Ksh 30,400
2010 = @0.2 per share Ksh 60,800
2011 = @0.2 per share Ksh 60,800
2012 = @0.22 per share Ksh 66,880
2013 = @0.31 per share Ksh 94, 240
2014 = @0.47 per share Ksh 142,880
2015 = @0.64 per share ksh 194, 560
2016 (special dividend) = @0.68 per share Ksh 206, 720
2016 (final dividend) = @0.76 per share Ksh 231,040
2017 = @0.97 per share Ksh 294,880
2018 = @1.10 per share Ksh 334,400

Total Dividend Income = Ksh 1,717,600

Ksh 1,717,600 + (Ksh 320,000*24)= Ksh 9,397,600

1 million invested exactly 10 years ago in Safaricom is now worth 9.3 million assuming that the investor did not re-invest the dividends to compound returns. If he/she had compounded the returns i.e dividends, the return would be higher.

Unlike the stories given by journalists, you can verify this return at the comfort of your home in near precise shilling figures.

Happy Hunting.

And 1 million invested in a squalid piece of land in Kakamega would have returned 171 BILLION to date so what's your point? Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
mkenyan
#10 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 7:27:18 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
https://www.capitalfm.co.ke/business/2019/01/sh1m-invested-in-land-around-nairobi-10-yrs-ago-is-now-worth-sh8-5m-hass-index/?fbclid=IwAR27VHz4fAYz3R8JjYNoi4Xom7RID1C57-pm3i5c6wBBtR8jKoto7JbAFac

Quote:
Nairobi satellite towns have experienced exponential growth driven by housing demand/File

By KENNEDY KANGETHE, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jan 24 – If you bought land around Nairobi for Sh1m in 2007, the value has now grown eight times.

This is according to the HassConsult Land Price Index Quarter Four 2018 report that lists 14 satellite towns that have multiplied in land value over the last decade.

The Nairobi Satellite towns include Athi River, Juja, Mlolongo, Limuru, Kitengela, Ngong, Ongata Rongai, Ruaka, Ruiru, Syokimau, Thika, Tigoni, Kiserian and Kiambu.

According to the report, if you invested the same Sh1 million in land in Nairobi Suburbs you would be worth Sh6.3 million, with the suburbs being Kilimani, Kitusuru, Upperhill, Westlands, Runda, Spring Valley, Nyari, Muthaiga, Kileleshwa, Karen, Gigiri, Eastleigh, Donholm, Loresho, Ridgeways, Parklands and Langata.

The same amount invested in property such us rentals, value has gone up to Sh2.47 million,
while bonds and savings would have given you a return of Sh2.54 million and Sh1.31 million respectively but lost Sh480,000 if you invested in equities Laughing out loudly .

HassConsult Head of Development Sakina Hassanali says land in Nairobi has appreciated by 700 percent in the last ten years outperforming global asset classes that include both Gold and Oil.

“Globally commodities are falling while and prices in Kenya continue to rise on average of 70 percent per year, compared to 50 to 20 percent in 10 year for other commodities. Going forward, Land will continue to outperform commodities as the government continue to invest in infrastructure throughout the country,” she said.

Gold prices went up by 155 percent in the last decade, live cattle by 127 percent while crude oil was the worst performing in the period increasing by 56.6 percent in value.

Overall the market for land is becoming more sophisticated. Where change is underway, the returns remain outstanding for any asset class, but in areas that are now more fully developed, often a high density, prices are now more static,” said Hasannali.

This is a no-brainer we have all been harping about since we joined this forum.

And of course Dustbowl County is GROUND ZERO of this metro-Nairobi property price appreciation Dancing .

And if you think this red hot price appreciation so far is a big deal you have not seen ANYTHING yet. Those who invest in DC near metro-Nairobi are the ones who will reap the biggest from Kenya's future red hot economic growth. Especially after big 4 housing officially kicks off and SGR to Naivasha is complete!

Weelll, so much for the mugunda doomsayers and "equities investors making a killing on Mumias" Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

don't know about all those reports and such but in 2011 i invested about 1.4m about 80km from cbd. now been offered 35m for it but am holding on. 1m making 8m in 10 years in real estate is pretty low if you know where to look.
tom_boy
#11 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 9:12:23 PM

Once bought a buloti for 70k and sold for 3m 10yrs later.
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
tom_boy
#12 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 10:17:07 PM

Does the increase in value of rentals factor in the rental income received over the 10yrs. I feel this report is specifically created with an agenda in mind. An investor is concerned about overall return over a time period. Not just value at beginning and at end. I dont see how bonds are at par with rental property when you consider effect of inflation on your bond principle.
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
LosAngeles~254
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2019 2:22:14 PM

Thanks for this post! Look at all these inspiring stories!
I'm obsessed by real estate investment and appreciation values in Kenya. Honestly i think anyone dabbling their little capital in the unspredictable NSE or NYSE or any stock exchange is nuts. If you're already wealthy then you can risk some in stocks, but if you only have 2bob, land offers the most certain way to grow wealth.

@SMutaga....Safaricom is just one company, you would have had to select it out of hundreds of companies to do that well. Also the temptation to sell is always greater with stocks like if you lose your job or need cash ASAP, land is not as easily liquidated so we tend to hold it longer thru the ups & downs of life.

Why would you gamble your 2 coins in unpredictable stocks when you have affordable land all around you that's GUARANTEED to make you wealthy in due time? You don't have to do analysis with land, all of it will appreciate. Just in varying degrees of appreciation. But All areas do appreciate.
Tunawapenda lakini. See you in 20 years especially watu wa forex na bitcoins 😂😂Laughing out loudly
God. Real Estate. Fast Cars. Hot Chicks. Philanthropy.
MugundaMan
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2019 4:15:26 AM

LosAngeles~254 wrote:
Thanks for this post! Look at all these inspiring stories!
I'm obsessed by real estate investment and appreciation values in Kenya. Honestly i think anyone dabbling their little capital in the unspredictable NSE or NYSE or any stock exchange is nuts. If you're already wealthy then you can risk some in stocks, but if you only have 2bob, land offers the most certain way to grow wealth.

@SMutaga....Safaricom is just one company, you would have had to select it out of hundreds of companies to do that well. Also the temptation to sell is always greater with stocks like if you lose your job or need cash ASAP, land is not as easily liquidated so we tend to hold it longer thru the ups & downs of life.

Why would you gamble your 2 coins in unpredictable stocks when you have affordable land all around you that's GUARANTEED to make you wealthy in due time?Applause Applause Applause You don't have to do analysis with land, all of it will appreciate. Just in varying degrees of appreciation. But All areas do appreciate.
Tunawapenda lakini. See you in 20 years especially watu wa forex na bitcoins 😂😂Laughing out loudly

Laughing out loudly
Because you cannot teach an old dog new tricks my broda.
Street smart intelligence means being willing to bend with the wind when it is against you at gale force levels. I told Mutaga some weeks back that I was once him. Calculating ratios furiously and sifting through annual reports like a Nazi and making 20% returns on stocks thinking I was very smart. Until I saw very ordinary people racking crazy returns in the land/property sector in Kiinya over and over again without breaking a sweat. The man with the rungu from Sacho is a good example of this street smart intelligence. He always read the signs of the time and could dramatically reverse position when he sensed the wind was clearly against him. This is why he lasted a whopping 24 years. The only time he did not do this was in 2002 and we all saw what happened there. Only a fool does not change his mind & will always pay dearly for stubbornly refusing to read the writing on the wall.
wukan
#15 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2019 9:37:19 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:

Cytonn report writing Wukan pia with his Ngara slum bedsitter addiction is also incredibly quiet as well Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly I talk you say i'm arrogant i keep quiet you still complain. unataka ninid'oh! d'oh! I'm concentrating my report writing on the Eastlando upgrading-the heart and soul of nairobi. I do my own research so I can't comment on other peoples research having an agenda to drive people to the satellites
rwitre
#16 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2019 1:29:38 PM

Wazuans surely, to each his own.

• You can bet your salary and lose your monthly income, another will bet 100 bob and win the Sportpesa jackpot. Will the latter listen to you when you tell him gambling is not worth it?
• You can buy land and agonise for years waiting for the infrastructure developments to come, while another patient one will see it through and book handsome profits on sale.
• You can sell your house and buy Bitcoin and watch its value get eroded, while someone who got in 5 years prior is buying mansions and yachts
• You can try T-bills and Bonds and be frustrated by the meagre returns, while a fund manager pumps billions in them and those "meagre returns" to them can fund entire county budgets.
• Or you can invest in a start-up and watch it crash, while there are those who will succeed and become legendary entrepreneurs.
We even have career people rising up the ranks, and scoring higher salaries, and college dropouts who were laughed at but went into freelancing and are now rivalling an MP’s salary.

Some can only put capital in low-risk investments. Others have a bigger risk-appetite. Each story has its wins and losses. Tunnel-vision people seeing their path as the only one true route are simply not being genuine.

MugundaMan
#17 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2019 1:40:47 PM

wukan wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly I talk you say i'm arrogant i keep quiet you still complain. unataka ninid'oh! d'oh! I'm concentrating my report writing on the Eastlando upgrading-the heart and soul of nairobi. I do my own research so I can't comment on other peoples research having an agenda to drive people to the satellites

OK papa, at least you are in the industry so hauko totally out in the cold. Laughing out loudly @agenda of driving people to the satellites. That is one heck of a conspiracy theory. Laughing out loudly Mubradzee you cannot keep burying your head in the sand in the face of glorious reality. People are not moving to DC (by the way was it you or Sparkly who coined the term? Whoever did needs to enter the Wazoo hall of fame with full military honours) because of articles above. ECONOMIC REALITIES are what are moving people there even if there wasn't a scintilla of journalism articles written about the same. I remember when I first joined the forum this time last year proclaiming the good news about DC. I was cyberstoned hapa my mburoda, by goons including you! Now those who lifted stones are very quiet. The truth cannot be hidden. Not even by a billion articles on Wazoo pro or con DC by either Wukan or MM!
MugundaMan
#18 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2019 1:48:13 PM

rwitre wrote:

• You can bet your salary and lose your monthly income, another will bet 100 bob and win the Sportpesa jackpot. Will the latter listen to you when you tell him gambling is not worth it?
• You can buy land and agonise for years waiting for the infrastructure developments to come, while another patient one will see it through and book handsome profits on sale.
• You can sell your house and buy Bitcoin and watch its value get eroded, while someone who got in 5 years prior is buying mansions and yachts
• You can try T-bills and Bonds and be frustrated by the meagre returns, while a fund manager pumps billions in them and those "meagre returns" to them can fund entire county budgets.
• Or you can invest in a start-up and watch it crash, while there are those who will succeed and become legendary entrepreneurs.
We even have career people rising up the ranks, and scoring higher salaries, and college dropouts who were laughed at but went into freelancing and are now rivalling an MP’s salary.

Some can only put capital in low-risk investments. Others have a bigger risk-appetite. Each story has its wins and losses. Tunnel-vision people seeing their path as the only one true route are simply not being genuine.

Rwitre, now you know this is 100% uwongo mtubu.
It's like saying someone from Kenya could get lucky, land in New York, meet Tyra Banks on the subway and get married to her. Could happen in theory but in reality not really. Real estate is the path of least resistance in Kiinya. If folks can't see it shauri yau!
rwitre
#19 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2019 2:31:04 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
rwitre wrote:

Rwitre, now you know this is 100% uwongo mtubu.
It's like saying someone from Kenya could get lucky, land in New York, meet Tyra Banks on the subway and get married to her. Could happen in theory but in reality not really. Real estate is the path of least resistance in Kiinya. If folks can't see it shauri yau!

MM
Quote:
Some can only put capital in low-risk investments. Others have a bigger risk-appetite. Each story has its wins and losses. Tunnel-vision people seeing their path as the only one true route are simply not being genuine

Find your category in the above statement and act accordingly. Kujibizana bila mwelekeo tuliacha 2018
MugundaMan
#20 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2019 2:36:33 PM

rwitre wrote:

MM
Quote:
Some can only put capital in low-risk investments. Others have a bigger risk-appetite. Each story has its wins and losses. Tunnel-vision people seeing their path as the only one true route are simply not being genuine

Find your category in the above statement and act accordingly. Kujibizana bila mwelekeo tuliacha 2018

But kunjibizana is part of life, my mubroda, neither you nor I can stop it. Can't you just let us enjoy the good news on satellite returns without ingisharing your munjibizano on our njibizanarings into the mix as well Laughing out loudly