wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Robs Magic or Monroe Shocks and springs
Ngogoyo
#21 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 9:12:01 AM

Siringi wrote:
seppuku wrote:
I am looking to raise my Subaru Impreza GG3 ('05 model). I was doing some research here on Wazua and dug up this thread. A couple of mechanics (including one at Oriel) have told me that just fitting new coil springs will fix the problem and I need not bother with new shocks. I'm not quite sure how they're able to judge that without disassembling the suspension. What has been your experience? Is it alright to just change the springs and leave the shocks alone? What's the best way to make this judgement? In any case I have decided I am going with King Springs. Any user reviews will be appreciated.

Shame on you Wachana na those mechanics who learnt under a tree via apprenticeship or through the window ya daro. Had some mechanics use the "shake test" and got four different opinions. One swore should only change front ones. Drove to Autoxpress car was stripped in twenty minutes - for free( ok you.'ll need alignment baadaye) only one choko had some life left! Kumbe i have been driving around on springs!

They have a tensioner that tests springs and mine passed. Got a set of four and she was good to go.. Not at the prices mentioned above. . . Much much less. . .Maybe due to my ride which is the car infront of you. . .
Hope to get another at least 50k kms including round trips to coast , ridges, western etc.
Trust me some brand names are overrated

This is very timely. my 'governments' impreza is also too low and i need a solution before end of July.
Post whatever works and costs. Thanks
Rankaz13
#22 Posted : Monday, July 15, 2013 9:28:00 AM

Siringi wrote:
seppuku wrote:
I am looking to raise my Subaru Impreza GG3 ('05 model). I was doing some research here on Wazua and dug up this thread. A couple of mechanics (including one at Oriel) have told me that just fitting new coil springs will fix the problem and I need not bother with new shocks. I'm not quite sure how they're able to judge that without disassembling the suspension. What has been your experience? Is it alright to just change the springs and leave the shocks alone? What's the best way to make this judgement? In any case I have decided I am going with King Springs. Any user reviews will be appreciated.

Shame on you Wachana na those mechanics who learnt under a tree via apprenticeship or through the window ya daro. Had some mechanics use the "shake test" and got four different opinions. One swore should only change front ones. Drove to Autoxpress car was stripped in twenty minutes - for free( ok you.'ll need alignment baadaye) only one choko had some life left! Kumbe i have been driving around on springs!

They have a tensioner that tests springs and mine passed. Got a set of four and she was good to go.. Not at the prices mentioned above. . . Much much less. . .Maybe due to my ride which is the car in front of you. . .
Hope to get another at least 50k kms including round trips to coast , ridges, western etc.
Trust me some brand names are overrated

Apparently, prices vary depending on models. Those for the car in front of you. cost about half the price (for the whole set of four) of those for Subru.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
ZZE123
#23 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:03:25 AM

seppuku wrote:

I did exactly that about 5 years ago - I had just imported the car and fitted it with King Springs from Oriel - I still have the shocks the car came with.
The man who marries a beautiful woman, and the farmer who grows corn by the roadside have the same problem
accelriskconsult
#24 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:47:41 PM

Jaymiggy wrote:
@ All:

This is what I have gathered from your sendiments: a) I don't travel upcountry so much hence will check what Sub Kenya or Lota Motors pricing is (since they might be 'cheaper' than Robbs & Monroe - to be confirmed). b) Robb's have best coils and bushes. c) Monroe have best shocks.

This is the beauty of having SK around!! Long Live SKerians!!!

Subaru Kenya will most likely refer you to Oriel Motors who are one of the subsidiaries of ECTA group (which also owns Subaru Kenya).

And yes the price will be around 82k.

For those in doubt, Subaru Kenya will recommend King springs and Monroe shocks. Robbs Magic are too stiff for Subaru and could actually distabilise the car.

Subaru Kenya once told me that the best shocks they ever stock for subaru go for 50k a piece (200k for a set) but they can cover 200,000 kilometres. I didnt even bother asking what the brand is called.

I also asked a friend to source for the best Subaru shocks from Dubai and the cheapest price he could get was 36,500 per piece