4 Pages<1234>
Centum HY 2018/2019
Ericsson
#21 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 9:50:07 AM

rwitre wrote:
sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Half Year 2018/19 being presented today morning.

They release the results on newspaper late last week and then have a presentation today?
Very interesting

Other companies should follow suit. Give the stakeholders time to scrutinize so that they can ask informed questions

...or they are preparing for a price pump today when the +10% rule won't be in force.

Share price trading at a reflection of the performance,so there will be no effect
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Ericsson
#22 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 10:07:48 AM

Profitability driven by ksh.1.244bn realised gains from disposal of Gen Africa.
GenAfrica achieving an IRR of 29%.

James Mworia;
We need to renew the capital structure of the business. We want the shareholders to have great returns.
We are targeting to pay debt at individual businesses and not at the group level.
On the outlook, to optimize the gross return, we are planning on robust exit pipeline of mature assets across the portfolio.

To reduce debt at Centum level, we will utilize part of exit proceeds to completely pay down long term debt as it matures

Debt distress at play.
VituVingiSana
#23 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 11:21:45 AM

sparkly wrote:
obiero wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Half Year 2018/19 being presented today morning.

They release the results on newspaper late last week and then have a presentation today?
Very interesting

Other companies should follow suit. Give the stakeholders time to scrutinize so that they can ask informed questions

I like that! It's good to let folks digest the info. Conf Call at 3.30pm.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
rwitre
#24 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2018 3:15:52 PM

Been looking to diversify and include a blue chip with high potential for capital gains...(because dividends don't multiply wealth fast enough, and high-beta stocks will ruin quality of sleep).

Settled on Centum with its discount on NAV, plus the headstrong management that has a firm handle on things.

My one concern is the circa Sh50 billion in a fresh private equity (PE) being sought, how prudently it will be used, and its impact on the balance sheet. But seeing the track record of the board in selecting firms to sink money into (plus the insistence on focusing on cash generating companies, and not greenfield ventures or turn-around types), am optimistic.
VituVingiSana
#25 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2018 10:04:04 AM

Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ebenyo
#26 Posted : Wednesday, December 05, 2018 12:15:30 PM

rwitre wrote:
Been looking to diversify and include a blue chip with high potential for capital gains...(because dividends don't multiply wealth fast enough, and high-beta stocks will ruin quality of sleep).

Settled on Centum with its discount on NAV, plus the headstrong management that has a firm handle on things.

My one concern is the circa Sh50 billion in a fresh private equity (PE) being sought, how prudently it will be used, and its impact on the balance sheet. But seeing the track record of the board in selecting firms to sink money into (plus the insistence on focusing on cash generating companies, and not greenfield ventures or turn-around types), am optimistic.

im also in the process of changing my attitude towards centum.I went into their historical background and i liked the initial purpose of forming it.
Towards the goal of financial freedom
rwitre
#27 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 10:54:39 AM

Buy value, the price will sort itself.

Applause Applause
Ericsson
#28 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 11:58:41 AM

rwitre wrote:
Buy value, the price will sort itself.

Applause Applause

Signifies an oncoming mini bull run
Ericsson
#29 Posted : Friday, March 08, 2019 5:37:12 PM

https://www.businessdail...4946-jeqi01z/index.html

Sidian Bank has signed a Sh1.2 billion capital injection with Investment Fund for Developing Countries (IFU), a Danish private equity, in a deal that will see it progressively cede a 20 percent stake to the lender.
Ericsson
#30 Posted : Thursday, March 28, 2019 4:54:13 PM

Sidian bank has posted a KSh 392 million loss in 2018, an improvement from the KSh422 million loss posted in 2017. The loss resulted from higher operating expenses which shot up by 13 per cent to reach KSh3.7 billion. Net operating income grew by 24 per cent to land at KSh2.1 billion from KSh1.7 billion booked the previous year.

The bank is a subsidiary of Centum Holdings and is primarily focused on lending to small and medium-sized enterprises.

Income from loans and advances to customers fell by 3 per cent attributed to the cap on lending rates. The lender’s investment in government paper increased by at least 75 percent.

Customer deposits, on the other hand, grew by 33% from KSh 12.8 billion to KSh17 billion. Similarly, its loans and advances jumped up 15 per cent to KSh 13 billion.
Ericsson
#31 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 4:04:22 PM

Centum has put Sidian on the market with intention of selling it to a willing buyer;

"Last month, Sidian Bank chief executive Chege Thumbi said the lower-tier lender was open for merger talks, joining the list of lenders mulling similar deals."
Mr Thumbi said the bank has been having informal discussions with other lenders even though he declined to reveal the names.

“As and when discussions progress to a level where we are confident to announce anything, we will come back to you. A lot of conversations do happen once in a while and until it matures, we can’t give details,” he said.

“We are very open for merger with other banks and also opportunities of acquisition of other banks --- I am sure everyone in the market is looking at how to get bigger, better more efficient and create stronger banks.”

https://www.businessdail...084124-pb6axg/index.html
VituVingiSana
#32 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 5:49:26 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Centum has put Sidian on the market with intention of selling it to a willing buyer;

"Last month, Sidian Bank chief executive Chege Thumbi said the lower-tier lender was open for merger talks, joining the list of lenders mulling similar deals."
Mr Thumbi said the bank has been having informal discussions with other lenders even though he declined to reveal the names.

“As and when discussions progress to a level where we are confident to announce anything, we will come back to you. A lot of conversations do happen once in a while and until it matures, we can’t give details,” he said.

“We are very open for merger with other banks and also opportunities of acquisition of other banks --- I am sure everyone in the market is looking at how to get bigger, better more efficient and create stronger banks.”

https://www.businessdail...84124-pb6axg/index.html

Given the current mood and unlikeliness of the Interest Cap being lifted, it makes sense to do so.
Acknowledge the hurt. Centum needs to reduce the valuation is has for Sidian from 1.4x BV to 1.0x (at most).
VituVingiSana
#33 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2019 5:51:55 PM

I remain bullish on Centum based on the discount to BV even after I deduct:
Sidian's over-valuation (from 1.4x BV to 1.0x BV)
Akira
Amu
TRDL valuation reduction given the state of real estate
TRLC valuation reduction given the state of malls and offices
Other not-so-great businesses
nairobby
#34 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 8:59:30 AM

They'll have to deal with the debt issue which is my biggest worry and may that mean selling a valuable business to raise cash?
VituVingiSana
#35 Posted : Wednesday, April 24, 2019 2:21:18 PM

nairobby wrote:
They'll have to deal with the debt issue which is my biggest worry and may that mean selling a valuable business to raise cash?

If Centum gets a good price for a "valuable" business, it is not a bad idea to sell the business and reduce debt.
nairobby
#36 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2019 8:57:46 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
nairobby wrote:

If Centum gets a good price for a "valuable" business, it is not a bad idea to sell the business and reduce debt.

What about future cash flows then? Because if they sell a business with good cash flow like their beverage business for example that won't be good long term given how their other units like Real Estate, Sidian are struggling.I like Centum but eh I'm somehow skeptical to buy some more..
VituVingiSana
#37 Posted : Thursday, April 25, 2019 1:39:31 PM

nairobby wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
nairobby wrote:

What about future cash flows then? Because if they sell a business with good cash flow like their beverage business for example that won't be good long term given how their other units like Real Estate, Sidian are struggling.I like Centum but eh I'm somehow skeptical to buy some more..
Reduce debt, reduce the need to generate cash to make loan payments.
rwitre
#38 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2019 12:13:34 PM

Back to buy zone. smile
VituVingiSana
#39 Posted : Thursday, May 02, 2019 12:10:08 AM

New vehicle sales drop 14.5pc in first quarter
https://www.businessdail...6596-vlxd0xz/index.html

Most, including Toyota Kenya and Simba Corporation, recorded significant sales decline. Isuzu East Africa was the only major dealer to register higher sales.
Unit sales at Isuzu rose to 1,019 from 891 while those of Toyota fell to 672 from 812. Simba Corp’s sales also dropped to 487 from 514.
Ericsson
#40 Posted : Thursday, May 02, 2019 12:35:22 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
New vehicle sales drop 14.5pc in first quarter
https://www.businessdail...6596-vlxd0xz/index.html

Most, including Toyota Kenya and Simba Corporation, recorded significant sales decline. Isuzu East Africa was the only major dealer to register higher sales.
Unit sales at Isuzu rose to 1,019 from 891 while those of Toyota fell to 672 from 812. Simba Corp’s sales also dropped to 487 from 514.

Jubilee Manifesto