Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123>
Uber planning to roll out matatus
quicksand
#21 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 11:27:01 AM

Lolest! wrote:
quicksand wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
@drobos, why would a ma3 owner, driver, conductor sign up for this?

Why do you think the concept is targeted at conventional or current matatu owners? We are limiting our imagination here by applying our broken matatu model to this,...in fact, if Uber tries to emulate the matatu way of doing things, it is likely not to work..
Expanding on @Drobos idea, imagine this scenario ...its 5:30 pm, day over at Industrial Area for instance, people milling about, a prospective traveller enters his or her usual route, Industrial Area Street A to BuruBuru shopping center ..., and so do a few others, the Uber app aggregates people originating from one point and are terminating their journeys at different points along the same route, Shell, phase 5, buru centre ...it sees there is a quorum, may be 7 people are sufficient,...it generates a code for the route, lets call it a journey code and searches nearby to see if there are any vans available and publishes ...a driver signs up/activates the journey code and moves to the first pick up point ....
See? Not hard at all.
There will be challenges (legal and regulatory), and matatu owners will be rebel and be petulant to the ends of the earth, but the matatu industry will be disrupted....we are reaching a tipping point with this madness.

Interesting @quicksand. The problem with ma3 trips is they don't work like cab trips. But I guess the premise of your argument is that carpooling will sort the passengers(correct). Issue is how to attract vehicle owners especially coz it has to be PSV?

Return trips for your guy after dropping clients in Buru? This has been the main attraction in Uber(many trips & reduced dead mileage).

But interesting idea. Would love to see it work BTW. Reminds me of these Nipe Lift guys we were discussing on another thread. http://www.wazua.co.ke/f...px?g=posts&m=853108

Indeed.
The return trip and the PSV thing are challenges but not insurmountable ....for the return trip, the same 'pooling' concept might work,...the app would be doing the heavy lifting here by aggregating passengers travelling in the same direction through the same way points, and coalescing those passengers into 'a journey'...the viability/profitability of a journey and whether a driver picks it up is something that will be dependent on the driver and will be refined with time, data and practice ...surely even cab drivers sometimes move from one point to another without a fare if the other one has more prospects? The 'return' phase should work, even if it is less profitable or has no passengers ...the money should be made in the 'to' journey ...
As for the incentive and PSV licensing, this can be done at a high level (Central Gove/NTSA). It will depend on how much opposing pressure (strikes by matatus/bribes changing hands/policy pressure by Uber etc etc Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly ). If their business projections see this as a serious growth and revenue area, Uber can push for a special PSV license that allows their vehicles to collect car-pooling passengers anywhere..town, within confines of posh estates, not- so-posh estates, govt and company facilities etc etc...
Companies might even jump on this bandwagon and do the 'Uber for Business' version but with vans, where they entrust operators to ferry their employees to and from their offices. They will probably go this route first and require high quality vehicles and limited coverage to test the concept. That takes care of motivating people to invest in the venture.
Of course, just thinking out loud here, but its all very doable!

alma1
#22 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 11:31:29 AM

People get confused with Matatus. Matatus are just a private model for Public Transport.

Uber is not going for that market.

It's going for those who want to hail a cab. The only difference is that there shall be more people in a cab...Instead of 1 person, it's 7 people.

Uber shall thrive here as they aren't constricted by gov't routes. When you think about it, matatus failed by sticking to public transport routes.

Shauri yao. Hope they don't stone my Uber when I sign up.
Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?

KulaRaha
#23 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 11:36:53 AM

alma1 wrote:
People get confused with Matatus. Matatus are just a private model for Public Transport.

It's going for those who want to hail a cab. The only difference is that there shall be more people in a cab...Instead of 1 person, it's 7 people.

Uber shall thrive here as they aren't constricted by gov't routes. When you think about it, matatus failed by sticking to public transport routes.

This is it. Traditional routes be damned...this new model is customisable based on where people are really travelling to and from. You pick and drop commuters en route.

E.g. now you can prob go from Langata Road to Westlands direct via either highway or Mbagathi. For sure, there will be at least 7 guys to pick and drop along the way taking the same route. There is no need for return as from Westlands you may get guys going to Kilimani instead.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
kayhara
#24 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 11:55:18 AM

KulaRaha wrote:
alma1 wrote:

This is it. Traditional routes be damned...this new model is customisable based on where people are really travelling to and from. You pick and drop commuters en route.

E.g. now you can prob go from Langata Road to Westlands direct via either highway or Mbagathi. For sure, there will be at least 7 guys to pick and drop along the way taking the same route. There is no need for return as from Westlands you may get guys going to Kilimani instead.

I don't know why i remembered this, during the Kibaki time there was a national event at Nyayo, a friend was there and when leaving they got on to a Noah with tinted windows for 20 bob from Nyayo to town, only to find armed thugs inside, they were silently robbed and then dropped off one by one between uhuru park and kangemi, my guy was dropped off at CCK bare foot as hos sahara were confiscated, So the uber idea is great but security should be checked.
To Each His Own
hardwood
#25 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 12:15:30 PM

Uber trucks would be a better idea to connect those with cargo to lorry owners.
KulaRaha
#26 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 12:34:05 PM

kayhara wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:
alma1 wrote:

I don't know why i remembered this, during the Kibaki time there was a national event at Nyayo, a friend was there and when leaving they got on to a Noah with tinted windows for 20 bob from Nyayo to town, only to find armed thugs inside, they were silently robbed and then dropped off one by one between uhuru park and kangemi, my guy was dropped off at CCK bare foot as hos sahara were confiscated, So the uber idea is great but security should be checked.

Are Uber cabs robbing you right now? You're not going to panda a random car...it will be app based with details.
KulaRaha
#27 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 12:36:50 PM

hardwood wrote:
Uber trucks would be a better idea to connect those with cargo to lorry owners.

Another good idea, I thought they had already implemented this somewhere?
T-Bag
#28 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 1:02:28 PM

Doable with attitude shift,

Uber drivers currently can fix a route and price thus priority is given to the driver for customers say from Westlands to JKIA, the only thing remaining is to allow more than one client booking upto the capacity of the Noah, Voxys, Honda stream etc
I AM trust in GOD, I AM belief in THYSELF
#29 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 4:00:02 PM

T-Bag wrote:

Uber drivers currently can fix a route and price thus priority is given to the driver for customers say from Westlands to JKIA, the only thing remaining is to allow more than one client booking upto the capacity of the Noah, Voxys, Honda stream etc

And just like that the job of a makanga will be no more.

Of course there will be room for descent buses too and a metro line if they ever build one.

BBI will solve it
:)
Sansa
#30 Posted : Friday, November 16, 2018 5:31:15 PM

T-Bag wrote:

I think they can allow more than one client. We have uber pool (more passengers are added along the route) and uber pool express (all passengers meet at a central point and are dropped of at a central point). For a regular Uber driver these rides are a time suck and waste of money but maybe they will work in a matatu type scenario.
Drobos fly
#31 Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2018 2:58:05 AM

quicksand wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
@drobos, why would a ma3 owner, driver, conductor sign up for this?

Why do you think the concept is targeted at conventional or current matatu owners? We are limiting our imagination here by applying our broken matatu model to this,...in fact, if Uber tries to emulate the matatu way of doing things, it is likely not to work..
Expanding on @Drobos idea, imagine this scenario ...its 5:30 pm, day over at Industrial Area for instance, people milling about, a prospective traveller enters his or her usual route, Industrial Area Street A to BuruBuru shopping center ..., and so do a few others, the Uber app aggregates people originating from one point and are terminating their journeys at different points along the same route, Shell, phase 5, buru centre ...it sees there is a quorum, may be 7 people are sufficient,...it generates a code for the route, lets call it a journey code and searches nearby to see if there are any vans available and publishes ...a driver signs up/activates the journey code and moves to the first pick up point ....
See? Not hard at all.
There will be challenges (legal and regulatory), and matatu owners will be rebel and be petulant to the ends of the earth, but the matatu industry will be disrupted....we are reaching a tipping point with this madness.

You've understood quite well.

There's also what I've heard about NTSA requiring mats to belong to a SACCO. Uber may toy with the idea of creating their own sacco and location for specific routes since they need to adhere to the mat minimum requirements.
washiku
#32 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2019 2:51:59 PM

Lolest!
#33 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2019 4:57:35 PM

Quote:
My Dear Littlers,
2019 is full of possibilities, and at Little, we are super excited at the way things are folding up.

We are working hard to ensure that we provide you with the best Technology products in the sharing economy. We started with hailing cabs, then we added Boda Boda. Both these offerings have been successful. Today Little serves not just riders in Kenyan cities, but also serve Uganda, Zambia and before the end of February, we should be in Tanzania.

I am glad to inform you that we have now launched Little Shuttle. At the press of a button, you can book a Shuttle. A Shuttle that is clean and safe, a Shuttle without hassle, exactly how an ideal mass transport should be. However we are honest to let you know that this is a new service, and we are also perfecting our game, and I request your feedback to customize this product to suite Kenyans, After all we Kenyans are unique!

To serve you, we have opened up following three routes.

Apple Route from Kahawa Sukari To Westlands and back.
Avacado Route from BOMAS > Upperhill > CBD and back and
Lemon Route from Kinoo to South B and back.
Currently the frequency of these shuttles is every two hours, starting from 0645am on week days. However, with time, we would be adding more shuttles on these routes, as well open over 10 new routes. On Sundays, we will have routes that will take you to your church and back.

You may have noticed; our Route names are given as Fruit names. We wanted to name our routes after the Kenyan Big Five, however we noted that BRT is coming, and their route names are given as Big Five, so me and my team had to think something different, and ended up with these names!!. I hope you like our route names.

In this month of Love, we want to win your heart. So, we have decided that you can hop in and out of any Little Shuttle completely Free throughout February.

Love is an amazing feeling, make sure you keep your loved ones happy this Valentines.

Kamal Budhabhatti,
Chief Executive, Little.
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
tom_boy
#34 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2019 5:58:46 PM

Lolest! wrote:
Quote:
My Dear Littlers,
2019 is full of possibilities, and at Little, we are super excited at the way things are folding up.

We are working hard to ensure that we provide you with the best Technology products in the sharing economy. We started with hailing cabs, then we added Boda Boda. Both these offerings have been successful. Today Little serves not just riders in Kenyan cities, but also serve Uganda, Zambia and before the end of February, we should be in Tanzania.

I am glad to inform you that we have now launched Little Shuttle. At the press of a button, you can book a Shuttle. A Shuttle that is clean and safe, a Shuttle without hassle, exactly how an ideal mass transport should be. However we are honest to let you know that this is a new service, and we are also perfecting our game, and I request your feedback to customize this product to suite Kenyans, After all we Kenyans are unique!

To serve you, we have opened up following three routes.

Apple Route from Kahawa Sukari To Westlands and back.
Avacado Route from BOMAS > Upperhill > CBD and back and
Lemon Route from Kinoo to South B and back.
Currently the frequency of these shuttles is every two hours, starting from 0645am on week days. However, with time, we would be adding more shuttles on these routes, as well open over 10 new routes. On Sundays, we will have routes that will take you to your church and back.

You may have noticed; our Route names are given as Fruit names. We wanted to name our routes after the Kenyan Big Five, however we noted that BRT is coming, and their route names are given as Big Five, so me and my team had to think something different, and ended up with these names!!. I hope you like our route names.

In this month of Love, we want to win your heart. So, we have decided that you can hop in and out of any Little Shuttle completely Free throughout February.

Love is an amazing feeling, make sure you keep your loved ones happy this Valentines.

Kamal Budhabhatti,
Chief Executive, Little.

This is a game changer. Next will be long distance bookings.
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
bwenyenye
#35 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2019 3:03:06 PM

Has anyone here used the 'Swivel' App?
I Think Therefore I Am
Lolest!
#36 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2019 3:49:02 PM

Quote:
Egyptian start-up SWVL has expanded its route offerings since its January debut in the city’s chaotic mass transport segment to include the populous metropolitans along Thika Road, Langata Road, Waiyaki Way, Ngong Road and Limuru Road.

The service, which began its pilot in Kenya last month with 26-seater buses on two routes, is competing with Little’s Shuttle offering.

The app-based shuttle service allows users to book trips using their mobile devices which notifies them of the nearest pick up point, price and pick up time by the bus.

The app currently has five main lines in Nairobi which include return trips from Ruiru to the CBD/Upper Hill, Karen to CBD/Westlands via Upper Hill, Ongata Rongai to Westlands/CBD via Upper Hill, Ruiru to Westlands, Ndenderu to CBD/ Upper Hill, and Kikuyu to CBD/ Upper Hill. All routes have multiple stops listed, allowing users to select varied pick-up and drop-off points along the way. The app is currently charging a flat rate of Sh200 while offering discount codes for free rides in February pending introduction of dynamic pricing.
Lolest!
#37 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2019 3:34:48 AM

Quote:
The National Safety and Transport Authority has blacklisted Swvl and Little shuttle for violating operation rules.

Director General Francis Meja in a press statement on Monday said the two hailing app companies have been engaging in commuter service business within Nairobi contrary to its licence.
sparkly
#38 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2019 7:27:52 AM

Lolest! wrote:
Quote:
The National Safety and Transport Authority has blacklisted Swvl and Little shuttle for violating operation rules.

Director General Francis Meja in a press statement on Monday said the two hailing app companies have been engaging in commuter service business within Nairobi contrary to its licence.

These are hailing apps, to hail matatus
Kwani he wants them to ferry passengers via phone Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Life is short. Live passionately.
KulaRaha
#39 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2019 8:53:30 AM

Stupidity will always fight progress...that is the motto of this country.
wukan
#40 Posted : Tuesday, October 01, 2019 1:14:05 PM

Lolest! wrote:
Quote:

matatu cartels fight back. The BRT which has never kicked off will also be sabotaged. There are enough people invested in chaos in this town.