wazua Wed, Apr 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages<1234>»
Safaricom HY 2018/2019
Pesa Nane
#21 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 9:43:41 PM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
The growth in smartphones seems higher than Mulika Mwizi phones and the 50:50 could be reached by 2021 given the reduction in price (over time) of smartphones to less than $100 for a decent phone

Some of the Mulika Mwizi users may use these as "Mpango ya kando"... Easier to delete the incriminating history!

I hope SafCom can leverage their fiber network in Nairobi to push their services. It doesn't cost Safcom much more to hook up 100 users vs 10 users on a street once the fiber is already servicing a street or building.

$100 is alot of money to majority of kenyans.
There is also the element of cost data.
The recent tax measures will slow down growth
Mulika mwizi are going for $20 $5.

Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
VituVingiSana
#22 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 9:49:08 PM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
The growth in smartphones seems higher than Mulika Mwizi phones and the 50:50 could be reached by 2021 given the reduction in price (over time) of smartphones to less than $100 for a decent phone

Some of the Mulika Mwizi users may use these as "Mpango ya kando"... Easier to delete the incriminating history!

I hope SafCom can leverage their fiber network in Nairobi to push their services. It doesn't cost Safcom much more to hook up 100 users vs 10 users on a street once the fiber is already servicing a street or building.

Mulika mwizi are going for $20.

Jumia has over 20 models of Smartphones for $50
https://www.jumia.co.ke/...=1&price=5000-10000
By 2021, that number could jump to over 100 models with better features.
Plus SafCom/Airtel/Telkom could use the M-Kopa model i.e. pay $5/month for 24 months for a bundle of voice+data+financing.

For SafCom, this may even lock them into M-Pesa (including M-Shwari) with an easy to use app baked into the phone.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#23 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 11:25:43 PM

https://www.businessdail...834472-da5cpq/index.html
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
murchr
#24 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 11:30:11 PM

Ericsson wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/corporate/companies/Mulinge-gets-powerful-post-in-Safaricom-executives/4003102-4834472-da5cpq/index.html

Did you bookmark that post?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Ericsson
#25 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2018 6:26:23 AM

murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/corporate/companies/Mulinge-gets-powerful-post-in-Safaricom-executives/4003102-4834472-da5cpq/index.html

Yes waiting to see if she will get CEO post.
maka
#26 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2018 8:16:01 AM

Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Yes waiting to see if she will get CEO post.

She is def getting it....
possunt quia posse videntur
Ericsson
#27 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2018 9:25:52 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
[quote=VituVingiSana]The growth in smartphones seems higher than Mulika Mwizi phones and the 50:50 could be reached by 2021 given the reduction in price (over time) of smartphones to less than $100 for a decent phone

Plus SafCom/Airtel/Telkom could use the M-Kopa model i.e. pay $5/month for 24 months for a bundle of voice+data+financing.
Are you in kenya or fantasy country,majority of kenyans can't afford

For SafCom, this may even lock them into M-Pesa (including M-Shwari) with an easy to use app baked into the phone.[/quote

Inflation,taxes and high cost of living has made data to be considered a luxury.

shocks
#28 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2018 1:45:32 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

For SafCom, this may even lock them into M-Pesa (including M-Shwari) with an easy to use app baked into the phone.

Makes a lot of sense, investing in treasuries doesn't make sense when you can do this and you already have people's credit histories via mshwari and KCB MPESA.
shocks
#29 Posted : Saturday, November 03, 2018 1:48:52 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Ndouble post
VituVingiSana
#30 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2018 12:21:57 AM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
[quote=VituVingiSana]The growth in smartphones seems higher than Mulika Mwizi phones and the 50:50 could be reached by 2021 given the reduction in price (over time) of smartphones to less than $100 for a decent phone

For SafCom, this may even lock them into M-Pesa (including M-Shwari) with an easy to use app baked into the phone.[/quote

Inflation,taxes and high cost of living has made data to be considered a luxury.

To repeat
growth in smartphones seems higher than Mulika Mwizi phones and the 50:50 could be reached by 2021

You said "Inflation,taxes and high cost of living has made data to be considered a luxury."
I say Mobile Data Usage, aggregated across all networks, in 2021 (FY 2021-22) will be significantly (50+%) higher than 2018 (FY 2018-19). I estimate a +15% annual increase in data usage. The revenue growth will probably be slower than the data usage given the reduction in prices for data due to competition.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#31 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2018 12:43:16 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

To repeat
growth in smartphones seems higher than Mulika Mwizi phones and the 50:50 could be reached by 2021

Provide figures/statisics of actual sales not things on offer.

You said "Inflation,taxes and high cost of living has made data to be considered a luxury."
I say Mobile Data Usage, aggregated across all networks, in 2021 (FY 2021-22) will be significantly (50+%) higher than 2018 (FY 2018-19). I estimate a +15% annual increase in data usage. The revenue growth will probably be slower than the data usage given the reduction in prices for data due to competition.

What about percentage of population,usage can be higher but concentrated on few people
VituVingiSana
#32 Posted : Sunday, November 04, 2018 1:17:00 AM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

To repeat

What about percentage of population,usage can be higher but concentrated on few people
Whereas, there may be a social aspect to getting more Kenyans (16+ years) online, it is not an issue for Safcom (or others) as much as GoK/CCK. I expect MORE data will be sold at a DECENT profit/margin which hopefully provides a DECENT growth in earnings.

1) I believe over the next 3 years, more Kenyans (16+ years) will get online using smartphones. Mulika Mwizi will not die but smartphones will probably be 50/50 by Dec 2021.
2) The mobile data usage per user, for existing number of users, will increase as more folks stream music and movies.

1+2 = 50% more mobile data usage in 2021

Revenues will lag data usage given the expected reduction in the cost of data over time.
Ericsson
#33 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 1:05:59 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

To repeat

Whereas, there may be a social aspect to getting more Kenyans (16+ years) online, it is not an issue for Safcom (or others) as much as GoK/CCK. I expect MORE data will be sold at a DECENT profit/margin which hopefully provides a DECENT growth in earnings.

1) I believe over the next 3 years, more Kenyans (16+ years) will get online using smartphones. Mulika Mwizi will not die but smartphones will probably be 50/50 by Dec 2021.
2) The mobile data usage per user, for existing number of users, will increase as more folks stream music and movies.

Revenues will lag data usage given the expected reduction in the cost of data over time.

According to findings of a survey by World Economic forum, kenya's ICT Uptake is hyped.
VituVingiSana
#34 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 6:40:46 AM

Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

To repeat

According to findings of a survey by World Economic forum, kenya's ICT Uptake is hyped.
OK
lochaz-index
#35 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 8:01:25 AM

Ericsson wrote:
They have alot of cash which they are investing some in government securities to earn an income.
In the 6 months period they earned ksh.1.54bn in form of finance income

Are you sure that is income from investment? If it is, then finance income is a misleading term under which to classify that stream of income.
The main purpose of the stock market is to make fools of as many people as possible.
Ericsson
#36 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 9:38:50 AM

lochaz-index wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
They have alot of cash which they are investing some in government securities to earn an income.
In the 6 months period they earned ksh.1.54bn in form of finance income

Are you sure that is income from investment? If it is, then finance income is a misleading term under which to classify that stream of income.

It was mentioned in the investor briefing on Friday morning
Ericsson
#37 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 10:24:15 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:
2018 is done and dusted per Safaricom books. Financial years are not Gregorian. And I think there's another thread

@murchr its 2018/2019 sir.

Quote:

Accounting period that can start on any day of a calendar year but has twelve consecutive months (52 consecutive weeks) at the end of which account books are closed, profit or loss is computed, and financial reports are prepared for filing. It may or may not match a calendar year. Called fiscal year in the US.

So a company with a fiscal year that begins April 1, 2017, and ends March 31, 2018 refers to that period as fiscal year 2018, even though it starts in 2017.

I know it doesnt matter but from a professional perspective it is not right. Fiscal Year or financial year 18 is gone. The Safaricom new year started in May
No, it did not start in May. FY2018-19 started on 1st April 2018.

Fair enough, but FY19 not 18-19 there are no double year numbering in the serious financial world
Whatever floats your boat but I was just pointing out that Safaricom's current FY started on 1st April 2018.

I expected a +10% YOY EPS and this was +19%. I hope they can maintain the growth in net turnover even after the increase in VAT/taxes.

Double digit growth in EPS and DPS
Ericsson
#38 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 1:30:58 PM

https://www.businessdail...176-15nhi1nz/index.html

Safaricom says it will seek answers from the telecoms regulator over the three-year delay in issuance of its digital broadcast licence, chief executive Bob Collymore has said.

The telco is seeking to venture into commercial free-to-air television services as part of triple-play offering plan–TV, internet and fixed line telephone services – to homes.

The firm wants to use its fibre optic cable network for the triple play offering.
Ericsson
#39 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 4:31:44 PM

Safaricom CEO Bob Collymore admits Mpesa 1Tap and Masoko were a failure
"Some of the biggest lessons we have learnt in the last year are a result of the failure of products such as Mpesa 1Tap and Masoko to take off as planned"
kawi254
#40 Posted : Monday, November 05, 2018 6:36:14 PM

Ericsson wrote:
https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/corporate/companies/Safaricom-renews-push-for-digital-broadcast-licence/4003102-4837176-15nhi1nz/index.html

Safaricom says it will seek answers from the telecoms regulator over the three-year delay in issuance of its digital broadcast licence, chief executive Bob Collymore has said.

The telco is seeking to venture into commercial free-to-air television services as part of triple-play offering plan–TV, internet and fixed line telephone services – to homes.

The firm wants to use its fibre optic cable network for the triple play offering.

The Safaricom Fibre installers install and configure for you TV streaming apps free of charge. It is not the same thing though.