Safaricom HY 2018/2019
Ericsson
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 9:29:39 AM

Safaricom Half Year Results will be announced this Friday 2nd Nov 2018
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
murchr
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 1:39:57 PM

2018 is done and dusted per Safaricom books. Financial years are not Gregorian. And I think there's another thread
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Ericsson
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 2:54:40 PM

murchr wrote:
2018 is done and dusted per Safaricom books. Financial years are not Gregorian. And I think there's another thread

@murchr its 2018/2019 sir.
murchr
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2018 3:31:29 PM

Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:

Quote:

Accounting period that can start on any day of a calendar year but has twelve consecutive months (52 consecutive weeks) at the end of which account books are closed, profit or loss is computed, and financial reports are prepared for filing. It may or may not match a calendar year. Called fiscal year in the US.

So a company with a fiscal year that begins April 1, 2017, and ends March 31, 2018 refers to that period as fiscal year 2018, even though it starts in 2017.

I know it doesnt matter but from a professional perspective it is not right. Fiscal Year or financial year 18 is gone. The Safaricom new year started in May
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
VituVingiSana
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2018 3:47:08 PM

murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:

Quote:

Accounting period that can start on any day of a calendar year but has twelve consecutive months (52 consecutive weeks) at the end of which account books are closed, profit or loss is computed, and financial reports are prepared for filing. It may or may not match a calendar year. Called fiscal year in the US.

So a company with a fiscal year that begins April 1, 2017, and ends March 31, 2018 refers to that period as fiscal year 2018, even though it starts in 2017.

I know it doesnt matter but from a professional perspective it is not right. Fiscal Year or financial year 18 is gone. The Safaricom new year started in May
No, it did not start in May. FY2018-19 started on 1st April 2018.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
murchr
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 01, 2018 3:50:31 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:

Quote:

Fair enough, but FY19 not 18-19 there are no double year numbering in the serious financial world
Ericsson
#7 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 8:19:32 AM

Half year profits before tax at ksh.44.6bn up 18.7%
Profit after tax at sh.31.6bn
watesh
#8 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 8:39:28 AM

That data revenue growth got battered.....mpesa revenue though,PHENOMENAL
Ericsson
#9 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 1:51:57 PM

They have alot of cash which they are investing some in government securities to earn an income.
In the 6 months period they earned ksh.1.54bn in form of finance income
murchr
#10 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 3:38:14 PM

Safaricom Half Year Numbers:

~ Service Revenue +7.7% to Sh 118.2Bn

~ Net Income +20.2% to Sh 31.5Bn

~ M-Pesa +18.02%

~ Mobile Data +10.8%

~ Fixed Data +21.00%

~ Fiber 5500 Km

~ 29.94 Mn Customers

Beating from data? ~ Know your customer.

Ebenyo
#11 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 4:51:10 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Half year profits before tax at ksh.44.6bn up 18.7%
Profit after tax at sh.31.6bn

Full year results will be kshs 63 bn
Towards the goal of financial freedom
VituVingiSana
#12 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 7:14:07 PM

murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:

Quote:

Fair enough, but FY19 not 18-19 there are no double year numbering in the serious financial world
Whatever floats your boat but I was just pointing out that Safaricom's current FY started on 1st April 2018.

I expected a +10% YOY EPS and this was +19%. I hope they can maintain the growth in net turnover even after the increase in VAT/taxes.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
murchr
#13 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 7:16:05 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:

Quote:

Whatever floats your boat but I was just pointing out that Safaricom's current FY started on 1st April 2018.

Are you saying you actually missed the point i was putting across but felt you had to be combative? Shame on you You can only do that with Obiero.

Back to the books HY19 was fabulous.
VituVingiSana
#14 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 7:18:24 PM

murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:

Quote:

Are you saying you actually missed the point i was putting across but felt you had to be combative? Shame on you You can only do that with Obiero.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly I did modify my comments...
I noticed the CAPEX was equal to the Depreciation [+/- 1bn] but I need to look at this in further detail.
What suffered?
Voice is still profitable but data is where the real growth is...
murchr
#15 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 7:27:40 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:

Quote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly I did modify my comments...
I noticed the CAPEX was equal to the Depreciation [+/- 1bn] but I need to look at this in further detail.
What suffered?

SMS revenue suffered but i had a growth of 1.2% not bad given that people are not texting much anyway.

I heard just a tit bit about masoko and its integration to MPESA (didn't get the chance to listen to the whole presentation) but am waiting for the whole presentation to be loaded
VituVingiSana
#16 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 7:39:46 PM

SMS is dying vs WhatsApp but for those "betting" uses.
I wonder how non-betting SMS were sent!

It will not be easy sailing for SafCom but I wish it the best given I bought some recently!
Ericsson
#17 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 8:04:21 PM

murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:

Quote:

What suffered?

SMS revenue suffered but i had a growth of 1.2% not bad given that people are not texting much anyway.

I heard just a tit bit about masoko and its integration to MPESA (didn't get the chance to listen to the whole presentation) but am waiting for the whole presentation to be loaded

Voice and text airtel and Telkom kenya have taken a big chunk of the business.
62% of the phones in use are feature phones aka mulika mwizi which don't have data/whattsap capabilities
Ericsson
#18 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 8:11:56 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
murchr wrote:

Quote:

I expected a +10% YOY EPS and this was +19%. I hope they can maintain the growth in net turnover even after the increase in VAT/taxes.

Expect a similar growth in dividend payout
VituVingiSana
#19 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 8:15:39 PM

The growth in smartphones seems higher than Mulika Mwizi phones and the 50:50 could be reached by 2021 given the reduction in price (over time) of smartphones to less than $100 for a decent phone

Some of the Mulika Mwizi users may use these as "Mpango ya kando"... Easier to delete the incriminating history!

I hope SafCom can leverage their fiber network in Nairobi to push their services. It doesn't cost Safcom much more to hook up 100 users vs 10 users on a street once the fiber is already servicing a street or building.
Ericsson
#20 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 8:50:16 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
The growth in smartphones seems higher than Mulika Mwizi phones and the 50:50 could be reached by 2021 given the reduction in price (over time) of smartphones to less than $100 for a decent phone

Some of the Mulika Mwizi users may use these as "Mpango ya kando"... Easier to delete the incriminating history!

I hope SafCom can leverage their fiber network in Nairobi to push their services. It doesn't cost Safcom much more to hook up 100 users vs 10 users on a street once the fiber is already servicing a street or building.

$100 is alot of money to majority of kenyans.
There is also the element of cost data.
The recent tax measures will slow down growth
Mulika mwizi are going for $20.