Kenya Power FY 2017/2018
Angelica _ann
#241 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2018 4:59:44 PM

Ericsson wrote:
wukan wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
Kenya Power is a very good/reliable proxy for political risk in KE and the (mis)management that comes with any regime. It could be a better barometer if shorting was possible.
My aversion to GoK-controlled firms, despite my holdings in KenRe, is well documented.
Thanks to @KDoDo for the accurate info.
I hope KPLC is "revived" given I own 1/50,000,000 of it!

Will the "new" scrutiny that the Mgmt is under help?
Or will it the same old, same old?

I don't think much will change. I'm salivating at the shorting prospects if NSE had an ETF of GoK firms(owned, controlled and managed) eg kplc, kq, kengen, eapc, mumias, Kenya re, nbk in a single index...the returns since 2015 would have been quite stellar. Due to its broad based composition it would accurately track GoK/political risk/performance as opposed to a single stock pricing/financial performance.

Quote:
Electricity sales grew by 2.3% from 8,272 million units the previous year, to 8,459 million
units in the period under review due to an expanded customer base.

This is the only stat I look at together with cement consumption. In the last year of Kibaki electricity sales was growing 8%. Throw 3 trillion shillings in debt and you end up with 2.3% growth.Pray Pray shit-storm is coming

@wukan
Very very well explained hapo
admin wukan be promoted to a veteran

Those are back of the envelope calculations Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Kenya is red hoooot economy growing at 6% pa and a CNN Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly one hour programme survey (using social media) put it at no. 2 fastest growing economy in Africa and add the BIG 4 and Eurobond 3 on the way, yawa munataka nini wajameni ...............

In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
lochaz-index
#242 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2018 7:00:33 PM

wukan wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
Kenya Power is a very good/reliable proxy for political risk in KE and the (mis)management that comes with any regime. It could be a better barometer if shorting was possible.
My aversion to GoK-controlled firms, despite my holdings in KenRe, is well documented.

I don't think much will change. I'm salivating at the shorting prospects if NSE had an ETF of GoK firms(owned, controlled and managed) eg kplc, kq, kengen, eapc, mumias, Kenya re, nbk in a single index...the returns since 2015 would have been quite stellar. Due to its broad based composition it would accurately track GoK/political risk/performance as opposed to a single stock pricing/financial performance.

Quote:
Electricity sales grew by 2.3% from 8,272 million units the previous year, to 8,459 million

This is the only stat I look at together with cement consumption. In the last year of Kibaki electricity sales was growing 8%. Throw 3 trillion shillings in debt and you end up with 2.3% growth.Pray Pray shit-storm is coming

If you strip down the much vaunted GDP growth stats and exclude GoK related activities (public sector growth) you end up with a a figure of 2.9% which ties in perfectly with credit growth, electricity and cement consumption figures.

Problem here is that the leverage used so far hasn't spurred enough growth to enable its consequent servicing. An anemic private sector portends ill for continued public sector expenditure (debt fueled) seeing as the public sector is 100% dependent on the health of the private sector. You can't cheat the hangman for long. How it pans out remains to be seen.
The main purpose of the stock market is to make fools of as many people as possible.
obiero
#243 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2018 7:05:27 PM

lochaz-index wrote:
wukan wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:

Quote:

If you strip down the much vaunted GDP growth stats and exclude GoK related activities (public sector growth) you end up with a a figure of 2.9% which ties in perfectly with credit growth, electricity and cement consumption figures.

Problem here is that the leverage used so far hasn't spurred enough growth to enable its consequent servicing. An anemic private sector portends ill for continued public sector expenditure (debt fueled) seeing as the public sector is 100% dependent on the health of the private sector. You can't cheat the hangman for long. How it pans out remains to be seen.

Of equal concern is the large number of constructed real estate units that remain unoccupied, most certainly due to layoffs at the middle class range..

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
VituVingiSana
#244 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2018 8:20:18 PM

obiero wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
wukan wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:

Quote:

Of equal concern is the large number of constructed real estate units that remain unoccupied, most certainly due to layoffs at the middle class range..
That's of little concern given that there is plenty of demand for housing at the RIGHT price/cost. Units are empty since the landlords want higher rents than what renters can/want to pay.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Horton
#245 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2018 8:24:27 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
wukan wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:

Quote:

That's of little concern given that there is plenty of demand for housing at the RIGHT price/cost. Units are empty since the landlords want higher rents than what renters can/want to pay.

https://www.standardmedi...-of-large-users-decline

So large power consumption dropped 12.7%.......not good that
obiero
#246 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2018 8:45:10 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
wukan wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:

Quote:

We are not talking about Umoja rent.. I'm referring to the real middle class, the Ojijo Road type

Fyatu
#247 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2018 9:31:11 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Profit before tax at ksh.3.089bn
Profit after tax at ksh.1.918bn
No dividend declared
After all the drama, this is much better than I expected. Compare this to some firms that have not turned a profit for 6 years running.
Have the accounts been qualified?
What's the EPS?
How many shares does KPLC have?

Going by the numbers provided by @Ericsson, the EPS is ksh. 1 or thereabouts. Therefore earnings = 28% given the current share price of 3.6. How is Return on Assets(ROA) calculated for firms such as Kenya power? What is the formula? I told you this firm if well managed can rival Safaricom
IF
Who runs Saf?
Who runs KPLC? [NBK, KQ, KenGen, etc]

With a topline of 100 billion, Kenya power in 10 years fron has the potential to report a bottom line of >40 billion assuming it will still be a monopoly and will have management like that of KCB(another GoK firm) or your beloved Kenya-re. @KauganaDodo predicts Kenya power's house will have been cleaned by the year 2023. Not a Looto(innocent til proven guilty) kind of cleaning but a balance sheet cleaning.It is obvious Kenya will be consuming more electricity by 2030 and hence more revenue. Kenya power just need to provide better service to cutomers and its management ought to be prudent,effective and transparent.

P.S. I notice you conveniently leave out other mali ya umma firms like KCB and Kenya-Re
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
obiero
#248 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2018 9:38:03 PM

Fyatu wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
No dividend declared
After all the drama, this is much better than I expected. Compare this to some firms that have not turned a profit for 6 years running.
What's the EPS?

Going by the numbers provided by @Ericsson, the EPS is ksh. 1 or thereabouts. Therefore earnings = 28% given the current share price of 3.6. How is Return on Assets(ROA) calculated for firms such as Kenya power? What is the formula? I told you this firm if well managed can rival Safaricom
IF
Who runs Saf?

With a topline of 100 billion, Kenya power in 10 years fron has the potential to report a bottom line of >40 billion assuming it will still be a monopoly and will have management like that of KCB(another GoK firm) or your beloved Kenya-re. @KauganaDodo predicts Kenya power's house will have been cleaned by the year 2023. Not a Looto(innocent til proven guilty) kind of cleaning but a balance sheet cleaning.It is obvious Kenya will be consuming more electricity by 2030 and hence more revenue. Kenya power just need to provide better service to cutomers and its management ought to be prudent,effective and transparent.

P.S. I notice you conveniently leave out other mali ya umma firms like KCB and Kenya-Re

Safaricom and his beloved KENRE have an even higher percentage of ownership by GoK than KCB, but in life sometimes a person can only see what he/she wants to see..
Kenya Re 60%
Kenya Power 50.06%
Kenya Airways 48.6%
EAPC 25%
NBK 22.5%
MSC 20%
KCB 17%
UCHUMI 14%

obiero
#249 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2018 7:50:35 AM

Breaking news??? https://www.businessdail...5858-11rrbsez/index.html

faa
#250 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2018 8:01:59 AM

[quote=obiero]Breaking news??? https://www.businessdail...858-11rrbsez/index.html[/quote]
With Dp Rutos,puppet at the helm of Kenya power, we are yet to see the worst.

All they do is loot and loot, look at KPC. Look at treasury with the maize sugar imports. Keter, Rotich etc

They are a bunch of hungary hyenas waiting to pounce and loot Kenya during Samoei presidency.
Ericsson
#251 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2018 12:01:27 PM

[quote=obiero]Breaking news??? https://www.businessdail...858-11rrbsez/index.html[/quote]
What a blow.Kanguangado said the results have been massaged kidogo.The true results must have been bad.
It also means second half they made a loss
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
obiero
#252 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2018 1:17:06 PM

Ericsson wrote:

What a blow.Kanguangado said the results have been massaged kidogo.The true results must have been bad.
It also means second half they made a loss

Skeletons in the closet

VituVingiSana
#253 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2018 9:51:08 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
wukan wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:

Quote:

We are not talking about Umoja rent.. I'm referring to the real middle class, the Ojijo Road type
Drop the rent & renters will show up.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#254 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2018 9:57:28 PM

Fyatu wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
No dividend declared
What's the EPS?

IF
Who runs Saf?

KCB - Only 17% GoK + 8% NSSF but I don't know who has the reins. I have been a fan of Equity over KCB for years. KCB gets favored over Equity by GoK.
KenRe - Well managed but we saw what happened recently. I will probably bail out if Looto has his way. It can easily go the way of other formerly cash-rich firms. It's harder, not impossible, to steal brazenly from KenRe except for real estate.
VituVingiSana
#255 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2018 10:01:54 PM

obiero wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
No dividend declared
What's the EPS?

IF
Who runs Saf?

Safaricom and his beloved KENRE have an even higher percentage of ownership by GoK than KCB, but in life sometimes a person can only see what he/she wants to see..
Kenya Re 60%
Kenya Power 50.06%
Kenya Airways 48.6%
EAPC 25%
NBK 22.5%
MSC 20%
KCB 17%
UCHUMI 14%

Who runs Saf?
KenRe - I may bail out if Mwarania leaves & Looto's people run the show.
Ericsson
#256 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 8:54:25 AM

Electricity distributor Kenya Power’s 47.7 per cent surge in short-term debt has plunged the company into a Sh16.1 billion negative working capital position, forcing it to open negotiations for loan restructuring.

Kenya Power said last week that it had opened talks with its creditors to extend the payment period for segments of its loan obligations that are due to mature in the current financial year.

“We are beginning to renegotiate part of the loans and convert them into long-term debt to bridge the negative liquidity gap,” acting chief executive Jared Othieno said.

https://www.businessdail...868866-idjjfz/index.html
Ericsson
#257 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 10:20:00 AM

The regime of Chumo and Tarus finished this company.
Ebenyo
#258 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 5:59:03 PM

AndyC wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:

Your misfortunes with ARM, KQ, Olympia and Flame Tree are equally well documented, to mention but a few..

This duel needs to settle now! It is well documented in most threads and someone needs to take the higher road. Handshake anyone?

I like both of them.They are both honest.Together with pesa nane,they have earned my respect.They have greatly influenced my investment skills.Let their duel continue as its beneficial to wazua republic!

Towards the goal of financial freedom
VituVingiSana
#259 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 8:56:49 PM

Ebenyo wrote:
AndyC wrote:
obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:

Your misfortunes with ARM, KQ, Olympia and Flame Tree are equally well documented, to mention but a few..

This duel needs to settle now! It is well documented in most threads and someone needs to take the higher road. Handshake anyone?

I like both of them.They are both honest.Together with pesa nane,they have earned my respect.They have greatly influenced my investment skills.Let their duel continue as its beneficial to wazua republic!
Applause Applause Applause
limanika
#260 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 9:31:20 PM

Ericsson wrote:
The regime of Chumo and Tarus finished this company.

Move over mo1, the art of stealing has been perfected. And they steal without mercy. All Sugar companies, NCPB, KPC, KPLC, now on their knees. You wonder what would happen '22-27' as they look for cash to run for second term