tycho wrote:
Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Swenani wrote:
tycho wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Swenani wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Guys, you are now derailing the thread jamaneni Drool
What does it matter if someone can walk at elite speeds or not? Hiyo ni biashara yake. Live and let live!

Back to topic.
Still exhausted from jana's walking. Today will do resistance training in house and walk baadaye in the day as well. Ubaya jana I slipped big time diet wise. Was walking in town when I made the mistake of passing by Galito's. That place is a curse from the pits of Hades my frens! Somehow, without my knowledge, I found myself inside with a big delicious peri peri chicken leg between my teeth quickly accompanied by very tasty salt-laden fries and sugar laden ice cold soda. Today I need to go back to being disciplined.

I think if you're working to retain you weight/form, weekly indulges are ok.

I drink beer 2-3 times a week but I'm still able to stay within my desired body weight and form.

True but depends on body type/metabolism. I am one of those people who if I eat nyamchoms and fries three days in a row I gain like crazy in no time and losing it becomes super difficult! If I was a drinker by now I would be double my weight and growing daily!

@Mugundaman, I'm amazed that you do race walking and call it exercise. Mpaka nikafikiri naeza kujoin nikifanya meditation!

Those kinds of speed you're mentioning need some other forms of exercise to be actualized. I suspect even jogging would be included.

Anyway, if world champions are doing 20 Km in just over an hour, how long would it take you to cover a similar distance?

I think this matter is mis-presented or something...

Tycho,hawa watu ni wa kukimbia kwa laptop sio kwa barabara.Moreover,many people tend to overestimate their distance. When I started running,I was convinced for a long time that I was doing 5kms until the day I threw away app,driove around my route only to be shocked that I was overstating the distance by over 1.5km

@Swenani, I still believe that people do 8km in an hour just to work every morning from vijiji all over Nairobi, let alone someone who deliberately does it to improve their health.

Instead of arguing here, please just try walking, and time yourself, your android phone has an inbuilt App that will give you results.

The Olympic record for 20KM walk is 1Hr 18Min for men. I don't see why you think people dedicated to exercise can't achieve 8 Kms in 1 hour.

People dedicated to exercise can achieve such rates, but in this case, the target rate is the performance. The exercise for such a performance in my opinion, can't be walking alone.

The guys who walk from Kibra, kayole, Dandora, Huruma, Soweto etc to and from Inda everyday look trim and fit. So dedicated almost daily walking can help you be all round fit. Requires stamina though.

They could be trim due to poor nutrition. May be their pay affords them just one poor meal each day.
#42 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 11:25:30 AM

I used to walk but to be honest, it's lazy and hakuna exercise hapo but you're still better off than someone doing nothing. If you're under 65yrs,consider jogging in the morning before 7am. The air is fresher then and weather conditions good. The most important thing is the oxygen you take in when jogging, inatengeneza mwili kabisa. Personally, I do 2 or 3 laps jogging, walk 2... repeat for 30 or 45 mins.

BBI will solve it
:)
tycho
#43 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 11:54:46 AM

@Angelica, if you consider the combined effect of what these people who walk daily, do, then we can account for fitness.

Watu wa mkono, kazi yao tunajua. Watu wa kufua...

Also, some of these walkers may not pass a basic fitness test.

Again, it's easy to forget that fitness is for doing something. One might appear to be fit when she's in fact, unfit.

Like Usain Bolt, he appears to be fit. Yet he's not fit for 100m dash, and neither is he fit enough for professional soccer. Currently, he's exercising for soccer fitness.

Walking is good exercise for a person recovering from sickness. But is it good for a 'householder'? If you do a white collar job, you drive most of the time, and eat 'well', then walking isn't the best exercise for you.

Why? Because being a householder demands a kind of fitness that walking alone can't support.
Lolest!
#44 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 1:09:04 PM

tycho wrote:
@Angelica, if you consider the combined effect of what these people who walk daily, do, then we can account for fitness.

Watu wa mkono, kazi yao tunajua. Watu wa kufua...

Also, some of these walkers may not pass a basic fitness test.

Again, it's easy to forget that fitness is for doing something. One might appear to be fit when she's in fact, unfit.

Like Usain Bolt, he appears to be fit. Yet he's not fit for 100m dash, and neither is he fit enough for professional soccer. Currently, he's exercising for soccer fitness.

Walking is good exercise for a person recovering from sickness. But is it good for a 'householder'? If you do a white collar job, you drive most of the time, and eat 'well', then walking isn't the best exercise for you.

Why? Because being a householder demands a kind of fitness that walking alone can't support.

Very clear point!Applause Applause Applause I'm with you 100%.

I was told the some time back by some guys at a client's place that slimmer is not always healthier. They told me how during their health week some slimmer fellows were found to have higher cholesterol than fatter guys. Can't remember what device they had used to measure the dangerous fat
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
KulaRaha
#45 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 1:15:30 PM

I do HIIT 3 times a week and walk 5kms twice a week.

Enough exercise for me.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
tycho
#46 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 1:47:11 PM

KulaRaha wrote:

Enough exercise for me.

If you don't stretch extensively then hio ndio kitu unaeza need kuongeza.
MugundaMan
#47 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2018 9:13:34 AM

KulaRaha wrote:

Enough exercise for me.

You are advanced my broda. Hilarious that some think low impact cardio (walking) is "not exercise" Laughing out loudly

My HIIT comes from speed rope, 1 minute intervals 1 minute rest at maximum exertion till burnout. Fat torcher kabisa, that achieves 10 times more in 1/10th of the time it takes to jog gazillion miles. On the days I do weight training I skip HIIT and vice versa. Walking I'm trying to do every single day to burn those extra cals. My challenge as always has been limiting carbs. The most unhealthy foods are always the tastiest jameni. Speaking of walking, off I go!
Enuma Elish
#48 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2018 12:27:38 PM

Hmmmn wrote:
Yep...I walk about 8 to 9 km a day...takes about an hour...Set my walking app to clock 10,000 steps...Depending on my speed burn between 300-350 calories according to my app...Sometimes walk with hand weights...Invest in some good sneakers that have good arch support...

Then I'm doing poorly. In 1hr, I do about 4.5km brisk-walking, and I am 6ft 3. You, sir, should consider a spot in the next Olympic squad.
MugundaMan
#49 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 6:11:00 AM

Did some serious walking the past week, kept carbs low, have been keeping up the weight training and I'm seeing great results on the scale each passing day. Feeling like kevin Garnett right now. Youngsters may not even know who the kuyz is smile Happy workouts, rafikis!

washiku
#50 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 9:39:34 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
Did some serious walking the past week, kept carbs low, have been keeping up the weight training and I'm seeing great results on the scale each passing day. Feeling like kevin Garnett right now. Youngsters may not even know who the kuyz is smile Happy workouts, rafikis!

Nice
radio
#51 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 9:44:56 AM

tycho wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

Enough exercise for me.

I too do HIIT on Mon, Wed & Fri mornings. With no any other exercise apart from StanChart Marathon Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

I would want to build an active regime around my day-to-day activities. Like avoiding lifts, walking rather than driving. But that discipline is...d'oh! d'oh!
KulaRaha
#52 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2018 10:21:59 AM

tycho wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

Enough exercise for me.

Stretching is a must....10 minutes after HIIT and 5 minutes after walking.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
MugundaMan
#53 Posted : Friday, November 02, 2018 9:43:39 AM

radio wrote:
tycho wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

Enough exercise for me.

I too do HIIT on Mon, Wed & Fri mornings. With no any other exercise apart from StanChart Marathon Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

I would want to build an active regime around my day-to-day activities. Like avoiding lifts, walking rather than driving. But that discipline is...d'oh! d'oh!

Speaking of avoiding lifts, haaaaai!! Jana I had a meeting in CBD and unfortunately the ka-office was in one of those old buildings. You know the ones. They have an inscription "Jagdesh House..1914" or whatever. Always pale blue or white and coated with thick CBD dust on the copings. Window panes have been painted over a zillion times to the point they have an unsightly crust that observes of antique buildings would describe as "having a special charm" just to mask its raw unpleasantness. Haiya, lift does not stop at 1st floor so you have to tembea juu. Auuii..steep as a nonsense stairs that strangely go four flights just to get to first floor. My usually well conditioned legs were on fire by the time I fikad the top. Bottom line, I need to keep going back to that building every time I am in CBD to get a quick 5 minute leg workout!
Coolio
#54 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 7:47:29 AM

I run 12kms daily and do 40kms route march every weekend.
Nadondosha meli kubwa seuze ngalawa!
Swenani
#55 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 10:22:12 AM

Coolio wrote:

Si umekonda sana?
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
FRM2011
#56 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 10:34:51 AM

Yesterday was walking day in Nairobi. Parked at Junction and walked to and from CBD. 16KM. Ngong road has some of the best pedestrian paths in Nairobi.

It was hilarious seeing the tormented faces of physically unfit guys walking.
Coolio
#57 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 2:15:56 PM

Swenani wrote:
Coolio wrote:

Si umekonda sana?

Not really but I'm doing good. Early October i was 92 but now I'm 85. By Feb next year I want to be 70.
Nadondosha meli kubwa seuze ngalawa!
tycho
#58 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 2:39:28 PM

Coolio wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Coolio wrote:

Si umekonda sana?

Not really but I'm doing good. Early October i was 92 but now I'm 85. By Feb next year I want to be 70.

Kama ni kumarch, then labda @Coolio ni ........

Revenge ni kwa mess.
MugundaMan
#59 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 2:59:31 PM

Coolio wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Coolio wrote:

Si umekonda sana?

Boss,unless you are under 6ft tall seems you are aspiring to be blown away by the wind! 70kg is "skele" territory, Jameni. I can barbell bench the equivalent of two of you easy at that weight. But if you are 5 ft tall then it makes sense.
MugundaMan
#60 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 3:02:05 PM

FRM2011 wrote:

Yesterday was walking day in Nairobi. Parked at Junction and walked to and from CBD. 16KM. Ngong road has some of the best pedestrian paths in Nairobi.

It was hilarious seeing the tormented faces of physically unfit guys walking.

Kilimani to Westlands ring road/bypass also has some of the best foot and bike paths built. A delight to use on cool evenings!