wazua Sat, Apr 27, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

38 Pages«<2930313233>»
Why dustbowl is the future
sqft
#601 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2020 11:44:03 AM

Chaos erupt in dustbowl. I hope @amorphous & @mugundaman are OK.

https://www.tuko.co.ke/3...iado-peace-meeting.html

Proverbs 13:11 Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.
amorphous
#602 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2020 12:07:51 PM

sqft wrote:
Chaos erupt in dustbowl. I hope @amorphous & @mugundaman are OK.

https://www.tuko.co.ke/3...iado-peace-meeting.html

He he he he he he that is more of the border at Naivasha/Suswa area than it is DC. Those zones are extremely remote and we do not condone such behaviour hapa DC core. Jewel in the Crown for example has been nyweeeeeeee in sweet peace for the past 100 years and counting smile
Age and family mellows us all over time
amorphous
#603 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2020 10:05:36 AM

For all you party animals

Quote:
Five clubs that are changing the face of Kitengela
By Felix Kavii
2 days ago
Clubs in Kitengela (Photo/ Courtesy)

Kitengela is famous for 'nyama choma' (toast meat), a Kenyan delicacy enjoyed by not only Kenyans but also other people from all over the world. It has also grown quite rapidly in posh hotels, clubs and other entertainment facilities. Speaking of clubs, Kitengela is now getting a new name and image for harboring some of the most lavish clubs in the central province. Aside from 'nyama choma', Kitengela is starting to become famous for luxurious clubs.

Some of the clubs that are remarkably changing the face of Kitengela are;

Club 034

This isn't just any ordinary club; it's one of the most monumental businesses in history. Club 034 was curved from an abandoned Boeing airplane that had remained parked at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport for several years before millionaire Flash Mwatha hatched the idea to renovate it and set up the entertainment joint. Upon entry is a red carpet welcoming guests, and one is accorded the chance to feel like they are boarding and/or alighting from an airplane. In an interview in May 2020, the millionaire said, "This is the cockpit, and the engine has been removed. The plane will have a first-class and economy class. The cockpit will be for very, very important people (VVIPs). In the kitchen area, we won't change anything. We shall still use the same trollies that were used to serve while the plane was airborne." He also added that in the first class, they would strip it top and bottom and decorate it with a 3D model. In the model, they shall set up clouds that create the atmosphere of a real flight. Club 034 isn't just a place where one can enjoy amazing delicacies and have a good time with friends and family, but one can also enjoy quite a breathtaking scenic view.

ALSO READ: Five spots where the young rich and famous splash cash

Pavillion XV is yet another club changing the face of Kitengela. It's the place to be in Kitengela. Pavillion XV has a wide range of fabulous entertainment all days and nights. If you've been there, you know this might even be an understatement. The club provides the ultimate experience with absolute indulgence and allows you to spend your attention and evening as you wish without lifting a finger.

Another night club in Kitengela that's known to have a program of the order of things is the Avarlone Lounge. It's dubbed no.1 cocktail and outdoor bar lounge in Kitengela, having Wednesdays for the ladies (ladies' night), Thursdays for African live band, Fridays for reggae, Saturdays for party and Sundays for karaoke. If you're looking for a specific type of funk for a particular day, the Avalorne lounge in Kitengela is the way to go.

If you're looking to try another profound night club and/or restaurant in the city, the Nomad platinum lounge is an excellent place to check out. It is situated in the heart of Kitengela town next to Equity bank. They take pride in making great meals, ready to eat nyama choma, ala-cartes menu, and famous for making kuku choma just to mention but a few. Great entertainment is not left out in keeping the customers coming and wanting more of the good vibes.

ALSO READ: Why the clubs in Nairobi CBD no longer command the party scene as before

Last but not least, in the great clubs in Kitengela is Halcyon lounge and grill. Like the Avalorne lounge, they have a predetermined program of events that keeps people updated on the kind of groove they're in for on a particular day. They redefine nightlife in Kitengela, having Tuesdays for rhumba, Wednesdays for Karaoke, Thursdays for Bands, Fridays and Saturdays for party nights, and finally, Sundays for Dohty Sunday service. Talk about taking night clubs to another level.

source: https://www.standardmedi...g-the-face-of-kitengela

when we said DC is the future years ago, some laughed. Hawacheki sasa Laughing out loudly
amorphous
#604 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2020 10:12:23 AM

DC takes lead in Kenya in promoting water security Applause Applause Applause

Been saying it for years; rainwater harvesting + biodigesters + solar backup is the solution to 90% of the average Kenyan homeowner's woes.

Kudos to DC officials for being forward looking

Quote:

All buildings in rural and urban areas in Kajiado County, including Kitengela, will be required to have water harvesting and storage equipment.

The law under Kajiado Water Harvesting Bill adopted by the county assembly and signed into law by Kajiado governor Joseph ole Lenku requires those who intend to build residential and commercial buildings to seek approval of water harvesting facilities.

The county experiences perennial water shortages as population surges due to rural-urban migration.

A 20-litre jerrican of freshwater costs between Sh40- 50 while salty water sells at Sh20

A national government project that promised to sell water at Sh3 remain a pipe dream.

source: https://www.businessdail...607010-gi67ha/index.html
tinker
#605 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2020 1:14:05 PM

[quote=amorphous]DC takes lead in Kenya in promoting water security Applause Applause Applause

Been saying it for years; rainwater harvesting + biodigesters + solar backup is the solution to 90% of the average Kenyan homeowner's woes.

Quote:

All buildings in rural and urban areas in Kajiado County, including Kitengela, will be required to have water harvesting and storage equipment.

The law under Kajiado Water Harvesting Bill adopted by the county assembly and signed into law by Kajiado governor Joseph ole Lenku requires those who intend to build residential and commercial buildings to seek approval of water harvesting facilities.

The county experiences perennial water shortages as population surges due to rural-urban migration.

A 20-litre jerrican of freshwater costs between Sh40- 50 while salty water sells at Sh20

A national government project that promised to sell water at Sh3 remain a pipe dream.

source: https://www.businessdail...07010-gi67ha/index.html[/quote]

Water harvesting is no brainier especially for private residential home, it makes sense and it is cost effective in the long run.

When it comes to urban/commercial building, the story is different, how is water harvesting going to be implemented on an already fully-built 40x80.

also, considering dust all over the 'urban' center, who will be responsible for cleaning it?.
Are they admitting that the government cannot supply basic needs enshrined in the constitution and that we are on our own?.
or is it another avenue to increase project cost (making it un-affordable to many) and for Kanjo to milk the Cow or kill the only remaining geese that is laying the golden eggs.

....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..
amorphous
#606 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2020 1:25:25 PM

Tinker, I get your concerns but I think the principle behind the new law is very noble. I do not think the law forces an apartments owner to harvest for drinking. A simple tank system (hata tanki moja) connected to gutters (concrete, pvc or otherwise) should suffice. This law will mostly benefit ordinary homeowners who complain of water shortages yet do not want to invest in a simple gutter and tank to harvest all that pure clean water that disappears into the ground every rainy season. I believe Bangalore implemented a similar law and as far as I know it has been a roaring success overall.
TheAlchemist
#607 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2020 8:30:13 AM

The Standard: Nairo-bye! 10 celebrities who’ve relocated from the city.
https://www.standardmedi...relocated-from-the-city

Just last week Dandia hitmaker Kristoff revealed he relocated to the leafy sides of Kitengela just minutes shy from the city. “I took a drive to Kajiado County and was fascinated by the architectural design of some beautiful apartments. Upon inquiry, I realised that I can get extravagantly spacious housing at the same rate I pay in the city and I took it up immediately,” Kristoff explains. The rapper reportedly moved into an exquisite six-bedroom stand-alone mansion with ample parking and plenty of yard space. “Besides the fresh air, I can comfortably do my BBQs in my yard. No wonder Khaligraph followed suit,” he quips.

And while some might have grown accustomed to the glitz and glamour of showbiz, enjoying their 15 minutes of fame with aplomb, there comes a time when one feels it is too much and thus opts for some privacy. This is the case with comedian Eric Omondi, who decided to move from Kilimani and settle now in Athi-River, where there is ‘less scrutiny’ from people.

“It (the house) is also more spacious,” adds Eric, who is coincidentally neighbours with rapper Khaligraph and politician Charles Njagua aka Jaguar. The all-boy band trio, H_art the Band, they of the El Shaddai fame, implemented a win-win strategy of co-living in Kayole to a 5 bedroom mansion in Ongata Rongai. “There’s less hassle. We have space to expand, set up a studio and easily work together,” explains Skoko of H_art the Band.
amorphous
#608 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2020 12:52:50 PM

Applause Applause Applause
TheAlchemist wrote:
The Standard: Nairo-bye! 10 celebrities who’ve relocated from the city.
https://www.standardmedi...relocated-from-the-city

Just last week Dandia hitmaker Kristoff revealed he relocated to the leafy sides of Kitengela just minutes shy from the city. “I took a drive to Kajiado County and was fascinated by the architectural design of some beautiful apartments. Upon inquiry, I realised that I can get extravagantly spacious housing at the same rate I pay in the city and I took it up immediately,” Kristoff explains. The rapper reportedly moved into an exquisite six-bedroom stand-alone mansion with ample parking and plenty of yard space. “Besides the fresh air, I can comfortably do my BBQs in my yard. No wonder Khaligraph followed suit,” he quips.

And while some might have grown accustomed to the glitz and glamour of showbiz, enjoying their 15 minutes of fame with aplomb, there comes a time when one feels it is too much and thus opts for some privacy. This is the case with comedian Eric Omondi, who decided to move from Kilimani and settle now in Athi-River, where there is ‘less scrutiny’ from people.

“It (the house) is also more spacious,” adds Eric, who is coincidentally neighbours with rapper Khaligraph and politician Charles Njagua aka Jaguar. The all-boy band trio, H_art the Band, they of the El Shaddai fame, implemented a win-win strategy of co-living in Kayole to a 5 bedroom mansion in Ongata Rongai. “There’s less hassle. We have space to expand, set up a studio and easily work together,” explains Skoko of H_art the Band.

Applause Applause Applause
A no brainer is a no brainer. One can argue against irrefutable logic until the cows come home, but it always ends up winning. Remember how they said Mugundaman was kurazy and delusional for touting the glories of DC a mere three years ago?
Laughing out loudly
mkenyan
#609 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2020 9:04:20 AM

tinker wrote:
[quote=amorphous]DC takes lead in Kenya in promoting water security Applause Applause Applause

Quote:

source: https://www.businessdail...07010-gi67ha/index.html[/quote]

Water harvesting is no brainier especially for private residential home, it makes sense and it is cost effective in the long run.

When it comes to urban/commercial building, the story is different, how is water harvesting going to be implemented on an already fully-built 40x80.

also, considering dust all over the 'urban' center, who will be responsible for cleaning it?.
Are they admitting that the government cannot supply basic needs enshrined in the constitution and that we are on our own?.
or is it another avenue to increase project cost (making it un-affordable to many) and for Kanjo to milk the Cow or kill the only remaining geese that is laying the golden eggs.

if only these people had obeyed the law (where it is the law) or commonsense (where there is no such law) not to fully build up on their land and only develop on specified percentage - or leave a specified distance between them and the adjoining properties - we would not be having this problem.
amorphous
#610 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2020 4:16:07 PM

Kakamega Senator Cleophas Malala at the balcony of his house in Kitengela, Kajiado on August 17, 2020.

Pole to the Senator but when you see Senators moving out of Nairobi core to Jewel in the Crown then there is nothing much to add there. Beautiful balcony and well done security to the point that DCI hawaezi penya Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly That is beautiful DC maisonettes for ya.

https://www.nation.co.ke...t-senator-malala-1920214
amorphous
#611 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 8:37:47 AM

Message to Kenyans in diaspora...come home! Those beberu countries are not ours and never will be! Rudi nyumbani. You will never regret it. And as soon as you land, if you are smart and want a secure long term future, make a beeline DIRECT NON-STOP to DC is the future, sahau hizo mahala zingine.Ukizubaa zubaa you will find yourself still stuck there 30 years down the line living in a cramped wooden apartment with Bonqueesha and Jayquan as your neighbours.
amorphous
#612 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2020 7:51:52 PM

Quote:

OVERSTRETCHED BUDGETS
Bora uhai: Tough times push Kenyans to ditch (Nairobi core)
Among suburbs, apartments in Parklands registered the highest rent price increase.
In Summary

• Mulinge says he has identified a house for half the rent with a similar amount of space. He intends to move into the house in September and was able to get a friend to share the house with and split the cost.

•“I don’t even know why I have been wasting my money all this time paying such high rent, while there are good apartments on that side. It’s nice to stay in the certain locations, but with these tough times… bora uhai,” he said.

When looking for a place to live, what tops your list of factors to consider? Is it ease of access to schools, roads or supermarkets?

Perhaps the water situation is top on your list: Will you have to bear with dry taps for days on end or are there alternative arrangements – like a borehole - if the county fails?

Maybe your security and that of your household goods is your top priority – you don’t want to sleep with a tool of defence under your pillow every night because you never know when burglars will be visiting…. again.

While rent prices pay a huge role in many tenants’ choice, there is a group of Kenyans who look at the place they lay their heads to rest at the end of the day as being more about location than anything else.

Some will spend more than half of their monthly earnings on rent, just to be able to live in that ‘ideal location’, many times in the suburbs.

This group has champagne taste on a beer budget.

However, the coronavirus wreaked havoc and stretched this group’s already overstretched budgets and many are now having to do what they should have done a long time ago – move into cheaper accommodation.

UPWARDLY MOBILE

Jackson Mulinge*, 29, is a man who created a niche for himself in the entertainment industry.

“I had multiple gigs every weekend that were well paying and afforded me a good life, but after entertainment spots were closed, I was left high and dry. I ate into my savings and by June, it became clear I might not be able to continue paying rent for long,” he said.

Mulinge lives in Westlands and pays Sh80,000 rent for a two-bedroom house.

He said he tried negotiating his rent down with his landlord when cash stopped flowing after the government ordered clubs shut, but he would hear none of it.

“He (the landlord) said that he was also servicing a mortgage and could not afford to lower the rent. All he offered was to reduce the rent by Sh10,000 for May, which he said would then have to be paid in June and July in Sh5,000 tranches. So I paid Sh85,000 in June and July,” Mulinge says.

Rent deposit for several suburbs is usually two months worth of rent, which Mulinge says his landlord refused to accept as payment for the months of August and September as he gave notice to vacate the apartment this month.

“The landlord said the deposit will be used to fix any damage to the house, but I have taken care of it very well, and in any case, any repairs can’t cost Sh160,000. It’s frustrating, because that deposit money is what I wanted to use to pay as a deposit for an apartment I’ve found in Ruaka.”

Mulinge says he has identified a house for half the rent with a similar amount of space. He intends to move into the house in September and was able to get a friend to share the house with and split the cost.

“I don’t even know why I have been wasting my money all this time paying such high rent, while there are good apartments on that side. It’s nice to stay in the certain locations, but with these tough times… bora uhai,” he said.

Mulinge is one of several Kenyans who have decided to ditch suburbs for houses in satellite towns.

According to the Hass Consult second quarter property index released on August 13, overall rents recorded a marginal drop of just 0.3 per cent.

However, apartments recorded a 2.2 per cent growth in rents quarter on quarter.

Among suburbs, apartments in Parklands registered the highest rent price increase at 2.4 per cent quarter on quarter, while Donholm recorded the biggest drop at 4.8 per cent.

In the satellite towns, rents in for apartments in Mlolongo recorded the biggest drop of 2.6 per cent.

Apart from people like Mulinge who have opted to move into cheaper houses, there is a group of Kenyans who have decided to move back into houses they built, but abandoned, in satellite towns.

James and Mary Njoroge decided to move back into the house they built in Kitengela to avoid paying rent for a house they had been living in in Lavington.

“We had decided to leave the house we built in Kitengela and move to Nairobi because our children were suffering, having to wake up very early in the morning to make it to their schools in the city. We found it was unfair to subject our children to waking up at 5am and then sleeping very late. We therefore decided to rent out our home and move closer to their schools.”

However, with schools having been closed since March 15 after the first cases of coronavirus were reported in the country, it no longer makes sense for the Njoroges to stay in Lavington.

“The children have been home all this time and we keep dishing out rent, yet we don’t know when schools will reopen.”

The Njoroges therefore packed their belongings and moved back home this month.

They say they are also considering moving their children from one of the mid-tier private schools in Nairobi to cut expenses.

A survey by the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS) in May indicated 69 per cent of households were unable to pay rent as effects of Covid-19 take a toll on the economy.

The report showed that at least 43.2 per cent of the active labour force was not contributing to economic activities due to the coronavirus pandemic.

It also showed that about 21.5 per cent who usually pay rent on agreed date with landlord were unable to pay rent for April on time.

Approximately 59.8 per cent of those who usually paid rent on the agreed date were able to pay rent for the month of April on time.

A total of 15,840 people were interviewed with a 97 per cent response rate.

Samuel Maina, a landlord, has defended his fellow home owners’ decision not to reduce rent.

“Some landlords, myself included, are retirees and this is one of the few sources of income we depend on to survive. It is therefore unfair to ask us to reduce the rent, when we are all in Kenya trying to cope,” he said.

He said landlords who are able to reduce rents can do so, but also added that Kenyans should cut their coat according to their cloth.

“If you have lost your job or had a big salary cut and know you will be unable to pay rent, it is best to move to a cheaper house rather than asking your landlord to reduce rent or defer, yet you know you won’t be able to pay the accumulated amount when the time comes.”

With the Health ministry saying Kenya’s Covid-19 curve is not flattening, the majority of Kenyans have to find ways to cope with economic pressures.

source: https://www.the-star.co....nyans-to-ditch-suburbs/

I remember this couple (James and wife). Two years ago they were on the property show, having moved back to Nairobi core after complaining of "long commutes" and "lack of social amenities where our friends hang out" (or something like that) in DC Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly . Now that DC is on and popping, they are crawling back.

I hate to say I told them so hapa Wazoo but I told them so! Nairobi core social amenities etc are just an illusion. Now that jobs are going like the wind with this covid manenos, people are waking up FAST to realise that DC is the future. A long commute means nothing when you have no job. Join us in DC as jobcreators instead of renting in Lavington as jobseekers when the jobs are fizzling away daily! Karibu nyumbanismile ! #DCisTheFuture
TheAlchemist
#613 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2020 8:52:21 AM

“The Pros and Cons of Fleeing the City for the Country” by Allison Hirschlag https://link.medium.com/FYMDFeHo98

An interesting and balanced take, though I'm not sure it translates directly to our 'DC'.
I found this one amusing:

Pro: Now that you have property, you can walk around outside naked anytime you want, day or night.
Con: So can your 82-year-old hermit neighbor, Bob, and he’s had practice, so he’s far more exuberant about it.

😂😂😂

obiero
#614 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2020 6:08:43 PM

The traffic jam into Kitengela makes me sick

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
mulla
#615 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2020 7:54:23 AM

obiero wrote:

Obiero i thought you had kenya Re. Its missing from your signature.
obiero
#616 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2020 9:16:21 AM

mulla wrote:
obiero wrote:

Obiero i thought you had kenya Re. Its missing from your signature.

@mulla I ran away from it, with minor scars. It is not a share to hold in the short term

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
amorphous
#617 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2020 7:58:45 AM

obiero wrote:

But why add to it by being a jobseeker in Nairobi core instead of a jobcreator in Jewel in the Crown? smile
wukan
#618 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2020 9:18:30 AM

Ok sisemi kitu...wtf you don't have public schools.

Devolution is a scam we should go back to municipalities
Sufficiently Philanga....thropic
#619 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2020 9:47:58 AM

amorphous wrote:

Message to Kenyans in diaspora...come home! Those beberu countries are not ours and never will be! Rudi nyumbani. You will never regret it. And as soon as you land, if you are smart and want a secure long term future, make a beeline DIRECT NON-STOP to DC is the future, sahau hizo mahala zingine.Ukizubaa zubaa you will find yourself still stuck there 30 years down the line living in a cramped wooden apartment with Bonqueesha and Jayquan as your neighbours.

True Amorphous, a friend of mine brought a few acres in Kimana, Kajiado 10 years ago and was very shocked when his new next door neighbour(bought last week) told him he has bought his property at 20 times the price he(my friend) paid for 10 years ago.
@SufficientlyP
amorphous
#620 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2020 3:20:58 AM

wukan wrote:

Ok sisemi kitu...wtf you don't have public schools.

Devolution is a scam we should go back to municipalities

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Wukan,
We can equally choma your Nairobi core TIMES 100 Laughing out loudly

https://www.nation.co.ke...-sewerage-system-177880

https://www.standardmedi...o-seal-leaking-millions

typical Nairobi Core neighbourhood

Nairobi has not had a functioning sewerage system despite being East and Central Africa's richest city for the past century! Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

DC is a YOUNG city that your own post tells us its residents have built their own sewer line which is impressive! Isitoshe. Sewer lines are passe. Biodigesters are the future. We have told you this a jillion times hapa wazua but seems it has not sunk in yet smile

And the more you speak on Jewel in the Crown DC the more I realise you have actually never been there hata siku moja, yaani one, yaani echad, yaani imwe!

The middle classes in DC do not do public schools, mbradzee, but since you insist on chasing away ignorance about public schools actually existing in Jewel in the Crown, shika hapa:

https://kenyanlife.com/t...ls-near-kitengela-town/

Meanwhile DC middle class lovely well dressed totos will be found at Nova Pioneer, and Kitengela international and Orchard, and Lakewood Emerald and Kitengela Vineyard and Acacia Crest and soooooo many more