wazua Sun, Apr 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

38 Pages«<2526272829>»
Why dustbowl is the future
obiero
#521 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2020 6:33:06 AM

amorphous wrote:
If any Kenha or KURA official is watching, if I were you, I would highly encourage a very nice new tarmack road be built directly from the end of EPZ road tarmack directly to the Athi River SGR, since it is just a stone's throw away. Most of the SGR passenger traffic comes from Kitengela anyway. This would ease access and boost passenger numbers big time. If one wants to hit Rongai, Ngong or Naivasha, it is a sweet station from which to do so cheaply using the intercounty trains (when they resume post covid). My humble peni mbili.

It will be built

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
tinker
#522 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2020 8:32:17 AM

obiero wrote:
amorphous wrote:
If any Kenha or KURA official is watching, if I were you, I would highly encourage a very nice new tarmack road be built directly from the end of EPZ road tarmack directly to the Athi River SGR, since it is just a stone's throw away. Most of the SGR passenger traffic comes from Kitengela anyway. This would ease access and boost passenger numbers big time. If one wants to hit Rongai, Ngong or Naivasha, it is a sweet station from which to do so cheaply using the intercounty trains (when they resume post covid). My humble peni mbili.

It will be built

Ths situation is the same in Rongai and Ngong SGR station.

In Rongai SGR station.
There are 2 missing links. 1st is the shortest link to Rongai town, via 'the killer'bridge towards Fatima hospital.its less than 2KM.
The 2nd route is towards CMM/Advetist University.Its less than 3KM to Ngong-Kiserian road. Here, there is enough road reserve to do a 2 way road.

In Ngong SGR Station.
The obvious link to Karen -Ngong road, very short link.
The 2nd link is missing bridge in Olkeri-Coop University.

These missing links should have been fixed like yesterday if there is goodwill to make SGR impact mwananchi positively.
....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..
amorphous
#523 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2020 9:49:03 AM

tinker wrote:
obiero wrote:
amorphous wrote:

It will be built

Ths situation is the same in Rongai and Ngong SGR station.

In Rongai SGR station.
There are 2 missing links. 1st is the shortest link to Rongai town, via 'the killer'bridge towards Fatima hospital.its less than 2KM.
The 2nd route is towards CMM/Advetist University.Its less than 3KM to Ngong-Kiserian road. Here, there is enough road reserve to do a 2 way road.

In Ngong SGR Station.
The obvious link to Karen -Ngong road, very short link.
The 2nd link is missing bridge in Olkeri-Coop University.

These missing links should have been fixed like yesterday if there is goodwill to make SGR impact mwananchi positively.

Excellent insights. Lets hope GoK and DC County govt are paying attention! Those missing links will be very welcome lifesavers that will boost passenger traffic.
Age and family mellows us all over time
Tokyo
#524 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2020 3:09:36 PM

wukan wrote:
amorphous wrote:
wukan wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Am not a fan of DC but hii ni upusi huku Nairobi. People need to have a life not being herded together with poor amenities and infrastructure.

https://www.businessdail...81004-n64kek/index.html

Shida yako you are stuck in a bygone era. The market is demanding this communal lifestyle living. The young ones want to hostel living lifestyle i.e small private space and interacting in the public space. They want bike lanes and pedestrian walks and not parking lots. I was shocked went I went to Luthuli avenue the other day and the bilke racks were full. They are having life just in smaller living space. You need to watch the kenyan vloggers then you realize that old lifestyle of having a car, huge living space that you don't use is slowly fading away.

Quote:
The developments appear to be addressing a rising demand for functional small spaces among young families, students and expatriates keen on living in own apartments in the capital city.

Wukan,
While this may be true for the millenials, please remember that youth is as fleeting as mild fog. One can only live a boehmian life renting a bedsitter, riding a bike and living like a vagabond with no roots for so long. As their youth fades so will these tastes. I remember living in student hostels as a first year student in uni. Very exciting at first! Then came the noisy roomatees, lack of space to store your items. Hanging clothes on and outside windows. Very little light and fresh air..it was a nightmare! So called "small living spaces" only sound good on paper for so long. Once a person hits 30, jameni they have no business living in a bedsitter or cramped apartment unless they have no other choice.

In Tokyo they stay in the cities till they die. In this covid period with time on my hands I have been watching those youtube walkaround videos of Tokyo and I see old people on bikes or walking. Lots of bike lanes in that metro. City living is not for everyone but those who've been here for long just want to stick to the old tried ways. Nowadays even inter-generation living is considered normal in older city estates like South B, South C, Pangani Eastleigh, Parklands. Even Uhuru has raised his kids in the same address he grew up in. At some point you settle in the community and get on with life. As you age you realize people are not bothered with your life as much as you think. Those impressions and keeping up with Joneses don't matter that much.
At some point kids leave the nest and older folks have to move to smaller living space near hospitals and other amenities. What's the point of building a big mansion which you won't need in 20 years once the kids are off to college? You might also get divorced in your 40s or 50s and if you don't have your small thingira where you can retreat to, you will walk these streets talking to yourself.

For now the demand is for those studios and 1bd. They are selling like hotcake especially the ones near the CBD and westlands.

Comparing Tokyo and Nairobi must be a generous joke.
work to prosper
Angelica _ann
#525 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2020 3:11:45 PM

Tokyo wrote:
wukan wrote:
amorphous wrote:
wukan wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Am not a fan of DC but hii ni upusi huku Nairobi. People need to have a life not being herded together with poor amenities and infrastructure.

Shida yako you are stuck in a bygone era. The market is demanding this communal lifestyle living. The young ones want to hostel living lifestyle i.e small private space and interacting in the public space. They want bike lanes and pedestrian walks and not parking lots. I was shocked went I went to Luthuli avenue the other day and the bilke racks were full. They are having life just in smaller living space. You need to watch the kenyan vloggers then you realize that old lifestyle of having a car, huge living space that you don't use is slowly fading away.

Quote:
The developments appear to be addressing a rising demand for functional small spaces among young families, students and expatriates keen on living in own apartments in the capital city.

Wukan,
While this may be true for the millenials, please remember that youth is as fleeting as mild fog. One can only live a boehmian life renting a bedsitter, riding a bike and living like a vagabond with no roots for so long. As their youth fades so will these tastes. I remember living in student hostels as a first year student in uni. Very exciting at first! Then came the noisy roomatees, lack of space to store your items. Hanging clothes on and outside windows. Very little light and fresh air..it was a nightmare! So called "small living spaces" only sound good on paper for so long. Once a person hits 30, jameni they have no business living in a bedsitter or cramped apartment unless they have no other choice.

In Tokyo they stay in the cities till they die. In this covid period with time on my hands I have been watching those youtube walkaround videos of Tokyo and I see old people on bikes or walking. Lots of bike lanes in that metro. City living is not for everyone but those who've been here for long just want to stick to the old tried ways. Nowadays even inter-generation living is considered normal in older city estates like South B, South C, Pangani Eastleigh, Parklands. Even Uhuru has raised his kids in the same address he grew up in. At some point you settle in the community and get on with life. As you age you realize people are not bothered with your life as much as you think. Those impressions and keeping up with Joneses don't matter that much.
At some point kids leave the nest and older folks have to move to smaller living space near hospitals and other amenities. What's the point of building a big mansion which you won't need in 20 years once the kids are off to college? You might also get divorced in your 40s or 50s and if you don't have your small thingira where you can retreat to, you will walk these streets talking to yourself.

For now the demand is for those studios and 1bd. They are selling like hotcake especially the ones near the CBD and westlands.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly thank you!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
wukan
#526 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2020 4:40:29 PM

Tokyo wrote:
wukan wrote:
amorphous wrote:
wukan wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

Quote:

Wukan,

Ona hii nugud'oh! Try reading through the thread to understand why mugundaman prefers the DC suburbia model(american style) instead of inbuilt cbd core(tokyo).
Angelica _ann
#527 Posted : Saturday, June 27, 2020 6:14:34 PM

wukan wrote:
Tokyo wrote:
wukan wrote:
amorphous wrote:
wukan wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

Quote:

Wukan,

Ona hii nugud'oh! Try reading through the thread to understand why mugundaman prefers the DC suburbia model(american style) instead of inbuilt cbd core(tokyo).

Matusi tena yawa!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Tokyo
#528 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 10:49:36 AM

wukan wrote:
Tokyo wrote:
wukan wrote:
amorphous wrote:
wukan wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

Quote:

Wukan,

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
work to prosper
sqft
#529 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 11:48:31 AM

The leafy dustbowl in all its glory.

Proverbs 13:11 Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.
amorphous
#530 Posted : Sunday, June 28, 2020 9:10:29 PM

sqft wrote:
The leafy dustbowl in all its glory.

Beautiful video. DC rising!
I should also get a dashcam and do a strictly DC channel smile
At this rate we might have to change the name of DC to Rainbowl given the treeplanting by the middleclasses within and around their compounds!

Haya, ujumbe ndio huo huo basi:

Kitengela-Kisaju-Isinya-Kajiado-Bisil-Namanga
Kiserian-Isinya-Konza
Rongai-Kiserian
Kerarapon-Ngong-Ololua-Olkeri-Matasia-Kiserian
Kibiko-Kimuka and beyond
Kiserian-Kona Baridi-Champagne Ridge and beyond.
Kona Baridi- Oltepesi(Tinga)

Be invested anywhere along these corridors or be square forever gnashing teeth in bitter regret! Prices are already starting to go crazy. In 5 years time those who waited without investing in DC will have to go to Tanzania to find affordable property Laughing out loudly

NIMESEMA!

wukan
#531 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 10:01:14 AM

That is one huge urban sprawl. Everyone is building anywhere and everywhere. the roads don't have sidewalks. There should an urban/rural boundary zone. Parts of the town will need to be demolished to put up court house, fire station, hospitals, schools.

We really need urban planners or town planners.

amorphous
#532 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 10:09:29 AM

wukan wrote:
That is one huge urban sprawl. Everyone is building anywhere and everywhere. the roads don't have sidewalks. There should an urban/rural boundary zone. Parts of the town will need to be demolished to put up court house, fire station, hospitals, schools.

Wukan
I cannot say I am surprised at your response Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
I thought you said you like grime, urban sprawl and funk?
wukan
#533 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 10:30:50 AM

amorphous wrote:
wukan wrote:

Wukan
I cannot say I am surprised at your response Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
I thought you said you like grime, urban sprawl and funk?

I don't like urban sprawl. It makes cities very expensive. I'm okay with the urban decay of Nairobi core because it can easily be solved. That urban mess in DC is beyond redemption. One day the govt will have to build an expressway all the way to Namanga. Even the guy who did the video is complaining on how you are grabbing pastureland.
amorphous
#534 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 10:47:06 AM

wukan wrote:

I don't like urban sprawl. It makes cities very expensive.

Expensive meaning land prices shoot through the roof? How is that a bad thing for investors?

Quote:
I'm okay with the urban decay of Nairobi core because it can easily be solved.

Laughing out loudly

Quote:
That urban mess in DC is beyond redemption.

How so? Proof/evidence that it is "beyond redemption" vis-a-vis Nairobi core?

Quote:
One day the govt will have to build an expressway all the way to Namanga.

Na shida iko wapi? Have you been to Namanga rd? Have you seen the two slip roads parallel to it throughout Kitengela CBD? You can build a 10 lane superhighway from Kitengela to Namanga easy peasy if funds allow.

Quote:
Even the guy who did the video is complaining on how you are grabbing pastureland.

What's wrong with grabbing pastureland? Wasn't Nairobi core once pastureland?
wukan
#535 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 11:10:26 AM

sqft wrote:
amorphous wrote:
Bottom line, The leafy burbs of Nai core are in serious danger bro. Kilimani is the epicenter of the woes.

Getting worse. Sad.

These majangili are now behind bars. Applause Applause Applause kudos to DCI Kenya.

wukan
#536 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 11:45:48 AM

amorphous wrote:
wukan wrote:

I don't like urban sprawl. It makes cities very expensive.

Expensive meaning land prices shoot through the roof? How is that a bad thing for investors?

Quote:
I'm okay with the urban decay of Nairobi core because it can easily be solved.

Laughing out loudly

Quote:
That urban mess in DC is beyond redemption.

How so? Proof/evidence that it is "beyond redemption" vis-a-vis Nairobi core?

Quote:
One day the govt will have to build an expressway all the way to Namanga.

Na shida iko wapi? Have you been to Namanga rd? Have you seen the two slip roads parallel to it throughout Kitengela CBD? You can build a 10 lane superhighway from Kitengela to Namanga easy peasy if funds allow.

Quote:
Even the guy who did the video is complaining on how you are grabbing pastureland.

What's wrong with grabbing pastureland? Wasn't Nairobi core once pastureland?

Your questions are answered herehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c6rIt0fe7w.

One day you will realize why muhindis have stuck to parklands and westlands and somalis in Eastleigh, South C

amorphous
#537 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 1:11:34 PM

wukan wrote:

Your questions are answered herehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c6rIt0fe7w.

One day you will realize why muhindis have stuck to parklands and westlands and somalis in Eastleigh, South C

Wukan, kuwa serious,
The video is about as germane to our local context as Thanksgiving Turkey to the average Kenyan.

1. The USA is a mature economy in decline, Kenya is a developing economy that is just getting started. We had a long discussion hapa about the same. The property dynamics between the two are like night and day. Huge debt - and the resultant boom/bust price cycles - is the opium of the property markets in the USA. In Kenya we have a paltry 100k or less mortgages in the whole country. In DC probably 60-80 percent of homeowners do not owe a single ndururu on their mansions. Hence the prices going nowhere but up long term.

2. Property taxes as a major factor in any issue in DC is next to ZERO. Half the video yaps about property taxes.

3. Kenya has sooo much undeveloped land that it is comical for you to compare it to to super urbanized USA where even every rural Hamlet has stima and a tarmack road nearby. Maybe when our economy matures to stima and tarmack in every village, zero slums and 90 percent population resident in urban areas can you even start to compare. Reaching that point may take 200 years!! As it did for the USA!

Bottom line tis a big joke to compare the two. In Kenya the suburban (satellite city) boom HAS NOT EVEN STARTED YET. Isitoshe our system has inbuilt mechanisms to ensure property prices keep going up with no structural end in sight - very little debt percentagewise fueling homeownership, super high birth rates, growing infrastructure, swelling middle classes and middle class purchasing power plus a hard-working population unspoiled by the welfare dole or any significant social safety net. Work or starve is the status quo. The property sector in such an economy si mjezo my friend, this is why prices have been going up in almost linear fashion since the mid 1960s with no end in sight smile 😎
sqft
#538 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 1:50:18 PM

If @wukan was to be asked, nairobi should not have spread beyond kirinyaga rd and river rd.
Proverbs 13:11 Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.
amorphous
#539 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 3:16:11 PM

sqft wrote:
If @wukan was to be asked, nairobi should not have spread beyond kirinyaga rd and river rd.

Wukan has admitted several times papa hapa that he is a lucky sperm/silver spoon scion waiting for mama and papa to kick the bucket so he can inherit their old money.
I suspect his parents were that first wave of entrepreneurs from Muranga who bought up much of the River Road muhindi shops in the 1960s and 1970s. He seems very bitter when regular chaps who sweated for every coin they have are making moves in DC (the "I must be the only rich one and everybody else must be bitterly poor" mentality.) Isapite.
sqft
#540 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2020 3:32:55 PM

amorphous wrote:
sqft wrote:

Wukan has admitted several times papa hapa that he is a lucky sperm/silver spoon scion waiting for mama and papa to kick the bucket so he can inherit their old money.
I suspect his parents were that first wave of entrepreneurs from Muranga who bought up much of the River Road muhindi shops in the 1960s and 1970s. He seems very bitter when regular chaps who sweated for every coin they have are making moves in DC (the "I must be the only rich one and everybody else must be bitterly poor" mentality.) Isapite.

Now I know why he is TRAPPED in kirinyaga rd and grogon. He should make his folks proud by expanding the "family empire" beyond kirinyaga rd, not waiting for the spoils like a vulture.