wazua Sun, May 5, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

38 Pages«<2324252627>»
Why dustbowl is the future
amorphous
#481 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2020 3:06:57 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Am not a fan of DC but hii ni upusi huku Nairobi. People need to have a life not being herded together with poor amenities and infrastructure.

https://www.businessdail...81004-n64kek/index.html

Double A, tis only a matter of time before you "see the light," flee those millions of one bedroom bedsitters in Kili and join us in DC.
and when you do tutakuwa tukisimama hapa to welcome you without a "we told you so." Come baby come Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Age and family mellows us all over time
mufasa
#482 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2020 9:36:47 PM

[quote=Angelica _ann]Am not a fan of DC but hii ni upusi huku Nairobi. People need to have a life not being herded together with poor amenities and infrastructure.

https://www.businessdail...81004-n64kek/index.html[/quote]

But why is it that NEMA is more prominent in matters concerning building as opposed to City planning department.

Maajabu!
Do it today! Tomorrow is promise to no-one.
sqft
#483 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2020 10:37:32 PM

amorphous wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Am not a fan of DC but hii ni upusi huku Nairobi. People need to have a life not being herded together with poor amenities and infrastructure.

Double A, tis only a matter of time before you "see the light," flee those millions of one bedroom bedsitters in Kili and join us in DC.
and when you do tutakuwa tukisimama hapa to welcome you without a "we told you so." Come baby come Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

So sad that kilimani is now going the bedsitter way like githurai. Why are we degrading all our neighborhoods? The only place the middle class can get proper middle class housing i.e a 4bdrm house with own compound, is huko dustbowl.

I think kenya is the only country where doctors, lawyers, bankers, professors etc live in apartments, including studio apartments aka bedsitters. The situation is different elsewhere. Such 15 floor bedsitters and 1bdrms are meant for the poor elsewhere, not the middle class.

Proverbs 13:11 Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.
sqft
#484 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2020 11:23:58 PM

sqft wrote:
amorphous wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

So sad that kilimani is now going the bedsitter way like githurai. Why are we degrading all our neighborhoods? The only place the middle class can get proper middle class housing i.e a 4bdrm house with own compound, is huko dustbowl.

I think kenya is the only country where doctors, lawyers, bankers, professors etc live in apartments, including studio apartments aka bedsitters. The situation is different elsewhere. Such 15 floor bedsitters and 1bdrms are meant for the poor elsewhere, not the middle class.

They are also building 5brm houses in lavington on plots less than 30x60ft such that the houses have no compound or privacy. Basically you can hear your neighbour eating his wife. A big con for ksh70m.

Proverbs 13:11 Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.
amorphous
#485 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 5:56:50 AM

sqft wrote:

Indeed. I told wukan this bitter truth a long time ago and he disputed me furiously with very hot words!
Nairobi core is getting more and more cramped simply because the cost of land there has reached astronomical levels.
If you buy a 1 acre plot in Westlands for 600m, clearly you cannot build a maisonette with a lovely garden and space for the totos to enjoy hapo because it would not make economic sense.
Even if it were built, if it were to be resold, the buyer would still demolish it and build apartments (and from the article above..now bedsitters Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly )
Because for that price, you simply have to get a commensurate return on investment.
Nairobi leafy burb apartment living gets old very fast . Again, I told wukan the same thing two years ago.. cramped space, service charge defaulters manenos, kids making noise 24/7, concrete jungles, no privacy, loud music by some neighbours, the list is endless.
In all the developed countries, the rich leave these cramped living spaces and move out to the burbs where space is golden and kids can ride their bikes in wide open spaces.
with the rapid development of infrastructure ("long commutes" was always a favourite excuse of those who did not want to come to DC) it is inevitable that more of the Nairobi middle classes will flood into DC and similar suburbs.
I am very pleased whenever I pass by Mombasa road and see the construction of the mlolongo to Waiyaki way overpass in full steam. When done I will be driving from Jewel in the Crown, DC to Westlands in 15 minutes tops! I can enjoy my Java, fanya shopping and be back in DC again in no time nyweee on that smooth expressway!
Bottom line the longer the naysayers stay away from DC the WORSE it will be for them when they wake up one day and find they are surrounded by bedsitter highrises even in the leafy burbs of Nai and have also been permanently priced out of DC's lovely wide open spaces Those who have invested in DC will be smiling all the way to to their beautiful houses as well as the bank! Those who haven't will be gnashing teeth bitterly and we will be here to console them with soft "We told you so's" Laughing out loudly
wukan
#486 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 8:42:41 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:

Shida yako you are stuck in a bygone era. The market is demanding this communal lifestyle living. The young ones want to hostel living lifestyle i.e small private space and interacting in the public space. They want bike lanes and pedestrian walks and not parking lots. I was shocked went I went to Luthuli avenue the other day and the bilke racks were full. They are having life just in smaller living space. You need to watch the kenyan vloggers then you realize that old lifestyle of having a car, huge living space that you don't use is slowly fading away.

Quote:
The developments appear to be addressing a rising demand for functional small spaces among young families, students and expatriates keen on living in own apartments in the capital city.
amorphous
#487 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 9:25:08 AM

wukan wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

Shida yako you are stuck in a bygone era. The market is demanding this communal lifestyle living. The young ones want to hostel living lifestyle i.e small private space and interacting in the public space. They want bike lanes and pedestrian walks and not parking lots. I was shocked went I went to Luthuli avenue the other day and the bilke racks were full. They are having life just in smaller living space. You need to watch the kenyan vloggers then you realize that old lifestyle of having a car, huge living space that you don't use is slowly fading away.

Quote:
The developments appear to be addressing a rising demand for functional small spaces among young families, students and expatriates keen on living in own apartments in the capital city.

Wukan,
While this may be true for the millenials, please remember that youth is as fleeting as mild fog. One can only live a boehmian life renting a bedsitter, riding a bike and living like a vagabond with no roots for so long. As their youth fades so will these tastes. I remember living in student hostels as a first year student in uni. Very exciting at first! Then came the noisy roomatees, lack of space to store your items. Hanging clothes on and outside windows. Very little light and fresh air..it was a nightmare! So called "small living spaces" only sound good on paper for so long. Once a person hits 30, jameni they have no business living in a bedsitter or cramped apartment unless they have no other choice.
Pirate
#488 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 11:58:31 AM

amorphous wrote:
sqft wrote:
wukan wrote:
amorphous wrote:

Vector Afriq +254 702 22 55 42 / +254 702 22 55 41
They have plenty of affordable yet high quality properties in DC, Jewel in the Crown especially.

he he he he he @ your driving worry. I used to think like you...that the universe revolved around the leafy burbs of Nai. Join us in DC and you will be kicking yourself on the foot asking why you did not leave Nairobi core sooner! Entertainment joints (for those who are into this) galore full of the same same type of grim Nairobian faces you currently bump into in Westy. Isitoshe you get a HIGHER standard of living in TRIPLE the space for half (or less) the price. An example. I used to take some of my laundry to WhiteRose Lavi where they would charge an arm and a leg. The waits were crazy because there were so many customers doing the same. In Jewel in the Crown the WhiteRose here charges HALF of what they charge and you will find you are the only person there so attention to you and your needs is incredible. The same for vinyozi. I used to think that Nairobi leafy burbs had nice Kinyozis until I encountered BILLIONAIRES BARBER SHOP in DC Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly. Explore it online for yourself. No comparison whatsoever to any I have been in huko Nai core.

DC forever!

Nai core is about to enter its golden age. Our brother Uhuru has finally got into the program after the UN dudes told him his capital looks like a 3rd rate provincial town. Those wazee that used to love "kikuyu gothic" architectural style are now heading your way to DC to turn it to Embakasi as someone told you earlier. Slowly they are being edged out of the Nai core by more urbane, more traveled younger folks. The noisy entertainment joints and karumaido bars are relocating huko DC, utawala and eastern bypass.

The fact that you found yourself the only person at whiterose shows you are in the minority huko DC. Huku Nai core they now collect and deliver back the laundry. Nai core people are not moving out anytime soon. You will soon be coming back to Nai core. DC has no funk

Have you ever been to dustbowl? The urbane are moving to dustbowl where the lifestyle is unmatched. For instance there is nothing more relaxing than taking a swim or enjoying your whisky at the poolside at Creflo Gardens Kitengela on a lazy sunday afternoon. Or at the nieghouring joints. FYI there are NO karumaindos in dustbowl. Karumaindo type bars ended with the 1960s tumzees. We are in 2020. Wewe kaa huko kirinyaga road with your chokoras and garbage.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Wukan loves dirt and grime and funk (dictionary definition - bad smell) Laughing out loudly

Interesting conversation .... @Mugunda man , I have a 1/4 acre a stones throw away from Creflo Gardens that I bought back in 2010 . Might you know the current rate?

COVID has cemented the concept of remote working and thus I anticipate a number of Nairobians who have that flexibility to move away from the city . Afterall that's always been the reason ppl live in Nairobi , to be closure to work .. and schools.
Knowledge is power , but action gets things done ...
amorphous
#489 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 12:11:18 PM

Pirate wrote:

Interesting conversation .... @Mugunda man , I have a 1/4 acre a stones throw away from Creflo Gardens that I bought back in 2010 . Might you know the current rate?

COVID has cemented the concept of remote working and thus I anticipate a number of Nairobians who have that flexibility to move away from the city . Afterall that's always been the reason ppl live in Nairobi , to be closure to work .. and schools.

Milimani Kitengela 1/4 we are talking about between 3 to 4.5 metre depending on the plot and surrounding amenities.
If you bought in 2010 you were very wise because I bet they were going for so much less back then.
Excellent point on working from home. So true. This attachment to Nairobi core is being shaken out of its foundations.
I thought I would miss Nairobi core when I first moved to DC. Wapi??. These days I can stay as long as 3 months at a go without stepping foot in Nairobi core because everything I want (and even more) is right here in DC.
mulla
#490 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 12:24:47 PM

amorphous wrote:
Pirate wrote:

Milimani Kitengela 1/4 we are talking about between 3 to 4.5 metre depending on the plot and surrounding amenities.
If you bought in 2010 you were very wise because I bet they were going for so much less back then.
Excellent point on working from home. So true. This attachment to Nairobi core is being shaken out of its foundations.
I thought I would miss Nairobi core when I first moved to DC. Wapi??. These days I can stay as long as 3 months at a go without stepping foot in Nairobi core because everything I want (and even more) is right here in DC.

Hapo Olturoto nitapata mnunuzi nipate pesa? Na bei huko sasa?
amorphous
#491 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 12:31:25 PM

mulla wrote:

Hapo Olturoto nitapata mnunuzi nipate pesa? Na bei huko sasa?

Olturoto price depends on how many KM in you are from Namanga rd as well as amenities, STIMA especially. Wanunuzi wako wengi bro. Get you a good DC based agent and if the price is right you will get buyers.
Angelica _ann
#492 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 12:48:47 PM

amorphous wrote:
wukan wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

Quote:

Wukan,
While this may be true for the millenials, please remember that youth is as fleeting as mild fog. One can only live a boehmian life renting a bedsitter, riding a bike and living like a vagabond with no roots for so long. As their youth fades so will these tastes. I remember living in student hostels as a first year student in uni. Very exciting at first! Then came the noisy roomatees, lack of space to store your items. Hanging clothes on and outside windows. Very little light and fresh air..it was a nightmare! So called "small living spaces" only sound good on paper for so long. Once a person hits 30, jameni they have no business living in a bedsitter or cramped apartment unless they have no other choice.

@wukan, I am talking of the ability for Nairobi to provide amenities and infrastructure to support such projects. Such projects are turning Kilimani to those high rise 8/9 floor flats of Pipeline opposite Fedha, even living in Kirima's Tumaini will be better. Eentually, it lowers the value of surrounding properties.

Lakini if there are people who are happy to spend a good part of their life in such places, well and good, i just said mimi siwezi.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
wukan
#493 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 12:52:04 PM

amorphous wrote:
wukan wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

Quote:

Wukan,

In Tokyo they stay in the cities till they die. In this covid period with time on my hands I have been watching those youtube walkaround videos of Tokyo and I see old people on bikes or walking. Lots of bike lanes in that metro. City living is not for everyone but those who've been here for long just want to stick to the old tried ways. Nowadays even inter-generation living is considered normal in older city estates like South B, South C, Pangani Eastleigh, Parklands. Even Uhuru has raised his kids in the same address he grew up in. At some point you settle in the community and get on with life. As you age you realize people are not bothered with your life as much as you think. Those impressions and keeping up with Joneses don't matter that much.
At some point kids leave the nest and older folks have to move to smaller living space near hospitals and other amenities. What's the point of building a big mansion which you won't need in 20 years once the kids are off to college? You might also get divorced in your 40s or 50s and if you don't have your small thingira where you can retreat to, you will walk these streets talking to yourself.

For now the demand is for those studios and 1bd. They are selling like hotcake especially the ones near the CBD and westlands.
amorphous
#494 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 1:15:01 PM

wukan wrote:

In Tokyo they stay in the cities till they die. In this covid period with time on my hands I have been watching those youtube walkaround videos of Tokyo and I see old people on bikes or walking. Lots of bike lanes in that metro. City living is not for everyone but those who've been here for long just want to stick to the old tried ways. Nowadays even inter-generation living is considered normal in older city estates like South B, South C, Pangani Eastleigh, Parklands. Even Uhuru has raised his kids in the same address he grew up in. At some point you settle in the community and get on with life. As you age you realize people are not bothered with your life as much as you think. Those impressions and keeping up with Joneses don't matter that much.
At some point kids leave the nest and older folks have to move to smaller living space near hospitals and other amenities. What's the point of building a big mansion which you won't need in 20 years once the kids are off to college? You might also get divorced in your 40s or 50s and if you don't have your small thingira where you can retreat to, you will walk these streets talking to yourself.

For now the demand is for those studios and 1bd. They are selling like hotcake especially the ones near the CBD and westlands.

Wukan,
Everything you say always sounds good on paper but I have big doubts matches up to reality.
What's the point of building a huge mansion that you will not need when the kids leave the nest in 20 years? You would have obtained 20 years of good service from it, and a juicy cap gain should you decide to sell at that point and move into a smaller living space, but never a bedsitter.

Bottom line, The leafy burbs of Nai core are in serious danger bro. Kilimani is the epicenter of the woes. I remember how Kili had beautiful bungalows, maisonettes and low rise apartments in the years gone past. THAT IS ALL GONE. I also remember how Kileleshwa was so coveted because of its beautiful colonial bungalows on 1 acre. Imagine trying to maintain your bungalow yet on all sides around your plot, high rise apartments with plenty of nosy eyes are beaming down on you and your family running around in the lawn, and your wife hanging clothes on the clothes lines. Some may even be using the zoom feature on their cameras to take pics and videos of parts of her body you won't be comfortable to have them taking! In short, it is UNREALISTIC to cling on to the dream that these Nai core suburbs will stay the same.

Saying everyone will end up in studio and bedsitters in Kilimani and be happy about it is a bit of wishful thinking in my humble view. Imagine a 45 year old man and his wife and three totos hanging tough in a 8m by 8m luxury bedsitter in Kili. No parking space downstairs. Wote wanapanda nduthi shwaaa to get around. Not realistic at all if you ask me.
In ten years time if we are not careful, Kili will be no different from Ngara. In 20 years time it will be just like Pipeline estate below, which will be just sad.

PIPELINE ESTATE IS A FACADE OF WHAT NAIROBI WILL BE

https://www.standardmedi...-of-what-nairobi-will-be
Angelica _ann
#495 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 2:19:36 PM

Comparing Nairobi and Tokyo is a facade and a big lie.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
wukan
#496 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 2:53:56 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:

What's the difference given that I've buried and cremated friends and relatives who spent their entire lives in Nairobi?
Rahatupu
#497 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 4:27:23 PM

wukan wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

What's the difference given that I've buried and cremated friends and relatives who spent their entire lives in Nairobi?

@wukan, great example. I live in Tokyo and can attest to what you ascribe herein. However, we tend to have a different cultural orientation to city life. We have a duality between city living and "home/pacho/dala" whereby city life is seen as temporary.
cyruskulei
#498 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 5:10:42 PM

Rahatupu wrote:
wukan wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

@wukan, great example. I live in Tokyo and can attest to what you ascribe herein. However, we tend to have a different cultural orientation to city life. We have a duality between city living and "home/pacho/dala" whereby city life is seen as temporary.

Did you say city life is seen as temporary? You are right. I have seen from a different perspective. Sasa naenda kudevelop ushako kwetu. Where i will be buried next to My ancestors. And my spirit dwells with them not strangers. Sorry if anyone is offended. But thanks
Work hard at your job and you can make a living. Work hard on yourself and you can make a fortune.

mufasa
#499 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 5:35:14 PM

Checkout Kipeto wind farm in Kajiado (Kiserian) - 100MW

https://twitter.com/mwar...275336006758273024?s=08

Do it today! Tomorrow is promise to no-one.
watesh
#500 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2020 5:58:22 PM

mufasa wrote:
Checkout Kipeto wind farm in Kajiado (Kiserian) - 100MW

https://twitter.com/mwar...275336006758273024?s=08

This hasn't even come online and the government is already declaring all existing contracts null and void. They should strap in, a bumpy ride is coming.