wazua Thu, May 2, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages«<34567>»
Eliud Kipchoge. This man!
hamburglar
#81 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2019 12:00:23 PM

hamburglar wrote:
GOAT and it’s not even close. I very seriously think this guy will run under 2 minutes in Berlin later this year. Maybe am delusional but if anybody is even remotely capable of achieving this elusive feat, it’s this guy. Look at me being greedy, instead of enjoying the wins am already asking for a superhuman performance next outing. Lol. But he brought it on himself, you spoil us with big wins that look like they come easy for you and we expect more. Sub 2 minutes is what we want now. We won’t accept less. smile

I meant 2 hours not 2 minutes. My wish has come into fruition. Eliud has inspired me to do a marathon in under 4 hours. I have come close but some time next year I will do it. Wapi makofi ya hamburglar ya INEOS 3:59? (Hopefully).
mpobiz
#82 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2019 12:00:49 PM

I followed this untill the end.. from the house to the car mpaka mun'getho. It was worth every single minute
Politics is just things to keep the people divided and foolish and put your trust in men and none of them can do nothing for you...
sparkly
#83 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2019 12:55:25 PM

How long before we start seeing routine sub 2 hr competitive marathons?
Life is short. Live passionately.
hamburglar
#84 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2019 3:17:43 PM

sparkly wrote:

It’s coming soon. I honestly think if we have Bekele and Eliud pushing each other in the same race, it could happen. Bekele nearly broke Eliud’s record last month in Berlin missing it by only 2 seconds. This happened after he ran a poor first half of the marathon, that half was really bad that at one point he was third trailing the leaders badly and almost falling apart. If he’d run a seamless race, leading from start to finish and staying consistent, he would have shattered Eliud’s record and maybe run upper 2:00. Now, with them racing against each other (hopefully in Berlin soon) and each not wanting to relinquish the top dog honors, things could get very interesting.....of course with Eliud winning. (I have to be patriotic here).
Kusadikika
#85 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2019 3:19:03 PM

sparkly wrote:

I don't think it will be anytime soon. This was choreographed with such precision that are almost impossible to replicate in a race. Anybody running a sub 2 in a race will need to run alone, ahead of everyone. This takes much more mental and physical energy so in theory the athlete needs to be much much better than Kipchoge in his current form.
hamburglar
#86 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2019 4:55:41 PM

Kusadikika wrote:
sparkly wrote:

I don't think it will be anytime soon. This was choreographed with such precision that are almost impossible to replicate in a race. Anybody running a sub 2 in a race will need to run alone, ahead of everyone. This takes much more mental and physical energy so in theory the athlete needs to be much much better than Kipchoge in his current form.

Anything is possible in athletics. Nobody ever imagined that a human being could run 800m in 1:40 and David Rudisha did it. Nobody thought anybody would break Ben Johnson’s steroid laden 100m record back in 1988 and we’ve since had about 6 or so guys go under 9.70. Same thing with Michael Johnson’s ridiculous 400m record that stood for like 20 years until Van Niekerk lowered it last year. Bekele and Kipchoge have lately been doing 2:01 consistently and it’s just a matter of time, maybe the next 2 years that one of them runs 2:00 and after that 1:59 will be right around the corner. Records are made to be broken in athletics. The only records that I think are relatively safe are Usain Bolt’s 9:58 in 100m and 19:19 in the 200. These will take decades to break because they are just unbelievably tough to beat. Anything else is fair game. 1:59 will happen within 5 years.

There was a time when everybody was saying that a sub 2:05 marathon was impossible and then Kimetto and Kipsang came along and ran 2:04s and 2:03s and then the Desisas, Bekeles and Kipchoges rewrote the history books with 2:02s and lately 2:01s. The natural progression will be 2:00 then 1:59s. Maybe even a 1:58 out of nowhere, who knows.
murchr
#87 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2019 7:18:50 PM

Breaking 2 finally done! Amazing
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Kusadikika
#88 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2019 8:19:44 PM

hamburglar wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:
sparkly wrote:

Anything is possible in athletics. Nobody ever imagined that a human being could run 800m in 1:40 and David Rudisha did it. Nobody thought anybody would break Ben Johnson’s steroid laden 100m record back in 1988 and we’ve since had about 6 or so guys go under 9.70. Same thing with Michael Johnson’s ridiculous 400m record that stood for like 20 years until Van Niekerk lowered it last year. Bekele and Kipchoge have lately been doing 2:01 consistently and it’s just a matter of time, maybe the next 2 years that one of them runs 2:00 and after that 1:59 will be right around the corner. Records are made to be broken in athletics. The only records that I think are relatively safe are Usain Bolt’s 9:58 in 100m and 19:19 in the 200. These will take decades to break because they are just unbelievably tough to beat. Anything else is fair game. 1:59 will happen within 5 years.

There was a time when everybody was saying that a sub 2:05 marathon was impossible and then Kimetto and Kipsang came along and ran 2:04s and 2:03s and then the Desisas, Bekeles and Kipchoges rewrote the history books with 2:02s and lately 2:01s. The natural progression will be 2:00 then 1:59s. Maybe even a 1:58 out of nowhere, who knows.

My thinking on this is different and I will explain why. I believe we will continue to see better times in the shorter and middle distances and the records in the longer distances may stay longer. This is because one of the most essential ingredients for nurturing long distance running is poverty.

All the current crop of long distance runners from Haile Gabresselassie, Bekele, Tergat, Kipsang, Makau, Kimetto and Kipchoge got their early start running tens of kilometres to school long before they ever became athletes. They were not starting from zero when they started to train to be athletes but were picking up on a long tenure of natural conditioning and tenacity. Marathon running is a little different from the other shorter races in a very distinctive way, it is long. Very loooooong.

In this type of running physical fitness is only half the requirement. The other half which I think is much harder to train for is "kuvumilia maumivu". For a long period of the race especially in the second half you are just suffering and the most successful athletes are the one who are able to persevere through pain for the longest time. If you have watched one of the Ineos 159 videos where they interview Kipchoge's massage therapist this is one of the things he says about Kipchoge, that he is able to sustain pain for the longest time.

You can train to suffer pain but you cannot train long enough. Poverty provides the earliest and longest training session in suffering. The whole world is becoming richer and those conditions are disappearing.

I would really be very interested if someone did a study on the children of Gabresselasie, Tergat, Bekele and Kipchoge and followed them over time to see what their personal bests are compared to their fathers.
Rollins
#89 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2019 8:52:22 PM

Kusadikika wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:
sparkly wrote:

My thinking on this is different and I will explain why. I believe we will continue to see better times in the shorter and middle distances and the records in the longer distances may stay longer. This is because one of the most essential ingredients for nurturing long distance running is poverty.

All the current crop of long distance runners from Haile Gabresselassie, Bekele, Tergat, Kipsang, Makau, Kimetto and Kipchoge got their early start running tens of kilometres to school long before they ever became athletes. They were not starting from zero when they started to train to be athletes but were picking up on a long tenure of natural conditioning and tenacity. Marathon running is a little different from the other shorter races in a very distinctive way, it is long. Very loooooong.

In this type of running physical fitness is only half the requirement. The other half which I think is much harder to train for is "kuvumilia maumivu". For a long period of the race especially in the second half you are just suffering and the most successful athletes are the one who are able to persevere through pain for the longest time. If you have watched one of the Ineos 159 videos where they interview Kipchoge's massage therapist this is one of the things he says about Kipchoge, that he is able to sustain pain for the longest time.

You can train to suffer pain but you cannot train long enough. Poverty provides the earliest and longest training session in suffering. The whole world is becoming richer and those conditions are disappearing.

I would really be very interested if someone did a study on the children of Gabresselasie, Tergat, Bekele and Kipchoge and followed them over time to see what their personal bests are compared to their fathers.

I really like your flowless writing bruh. On any subject. On Eliuds Kipchoge's Sub 2 record, my opinion is that its not going to take long to break. Especially now that wealthy individuals can now sponsor and bankroll such specific record driven projects. This is even more possible due to the realization that a race can be arranged with optimal conditions to facilitate breaking a specific record.
I still dont buy the theory that most runners from Africa horned their skills and talent fron running tens of kilometers to schools. Some Re literally born talented.
Even a BrOKeN clock is right twice a day
hardwood
#90 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 11:17:40 AM

The IAAF now says that the new record is FAKE and WILL NOT BE RECOGNISED. That the race was rigged and did not meet the basic requirements of a marathon race. That kipchoge also received illegal energy drinks during the race.

https://www.nation.co.ke...976-9ys8xhz/index.html#

Quote:
Several factors are considered by the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) for a time or distance in a particular event to be ratified as a World Record.

A particular course or route and stadium must be certified and rated by IAAF measurers to qualify and more so, an event should have at last three competitors for results to stand.

In Kipchoge’s case, the “INEOS 1:59 Challenge” was a controlled race that wasn’t sanctioned by IAAF. Kipchoge was also racing against time (the clock) and nobody else.

While pacesetters are allowed both on track and road racing events, IAAF has a control over them. The 41 pacesetters, who supported Kipchoge came in-and-out in turns hence not allowed in IAAF events.

Notably, athletes in IAAF road races are not guided by a vehicle fitted with a monitor to control the pace while showing the lane athletes should follow like in the case of “INEOS 1:59 Challenge.”

More so, refreshments are taken by competing athletes from official stations but Kipchoge had the luxury of being handed drinks from a bicycle rather than from a table, as required by the IAAF for record-eligible races.

During the race Kipchoge consumed a carbohydrate drink made by Maurten, a Swedish manufacturer, and every time he takes a drink from a bottle and discards it, it would be picked up and weighed to measure exactly how much was consumed, with feedback given to guide future intake.
hamburglar
#91 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 12:25:51 PM

[quote=hardwood]The IAAF now says that the new record is FAKE and WILL NOT BE RECOGNISED. That the race was rigged and did not meet the basic requirements of a marathon race. That kipchoge received illegal energy drinks during the race.

This was not a Wolrd Record attempt, it was an experiment to see if a human being can run a marathon in under 2:00. It’s not recognized by IAAF and that’s okay because it wasn’t a typical marathon. Mambo ya rigging and illegal energy drinks is just nonsense from idlers.

hardwood
#92 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 1:07:50 PM

hamburglar wrote:
hardwood wrote:
The IAAF now says that the new record is FAKE and WILL NOT BE RECOGNISED. That the race was rigged and did not meet the basic requirements of a marathon race. That kipchoge received illegal energy drinks during the race.

This was not a Wolrd Record attempt, it was an experiment to see if a human being can run a marathon in under 2:00. It’s not recognized by IAAF and that’s okay because it wasn’t a typical marathon. Mambo ya rigging and illegal energy drinks is just nonsense from idlers.

Are IAAF idlers?
tom_boy
#93 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 1:12:36 PM

It will be recognised in the Guiness Book of world records as the first human to run a marathon in under 2hrs.

It will not be recognised as an IAAF marathon record
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
Angelica _ann
#94 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 1:23:55 PM

hardwood wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
hardwood wrote:
The IAAF now says that the new record is FAKE and WILL NOT BE RECOGNISED. That the race was rigged and did not meet the basic requirements of a marathon race. That kipchoge received illegal energy drinks during the race.

Are IAAF idlers?

You are among the idlers because this was obvious from the beginning, that was not an IAAF event by all accounts.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
AlphDoti
#95 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 3:10:08 PM

Rollins wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
Kusadikika wrote:
sparkly wrote:

I really like your flowless writing bruh. On any subject. On Eliuds Kipchoge's Sub 2 record, my opinion is that its not going to take long to break. Especially now that wealthy individuals can now sponsor and bankroll such specific record driven projects. This is even more possible due to the realization that a race can be arranged with optimal conditions to facilitate breaking a specific record.
I still dont buy the theory that most runners from Africa horned their skills and talent fron running tens of kilometers to schools. Some Re literally born talented.

@Rollins, if they were born talented, don't you think their children of Gabresselasie, Tergat, Bekele and Kipchoge would be natural winners in running? You know it is lifestyle and early "training" that plays major role.
AlphDoti
#96 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 3:11:50 PM

hamburglar wrote:
sparkly wrote:

It’s coming soon. I honestly think if we have Bekele and Eliud pushing each other in the same race, it could happen. Bekele nearly broke Eliud’s record last month in Berlin missing it by only 2 seconds. This happened after he ran a poor first half of the marathon, that half was really bad that at one point he was third trailing the leaders badly and almost falling apart. If he’d run a seamless race, leading from start to finish and staying consistent, he would have shattered Eliud’s record and maybe run upper 2:00. Now, with them racing against each other (hopefully in Berlin soon) and each not wanting to relinquish the top dog honors, things could get very interesting.....of course with Eliud winning. (I have to be patriotic here).

The fact that he didn't means he wouldn't have. Don't you see?
AlphDoti
#97 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 3:16:47 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
hardwood wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Are IAAF idlers?

You are among the idlers because this was obvious from the beginning, that was not an IAAF event by all accounts.

@hardwood you're really such an idler jumping into things you didn't know from the beginning. This was clear from the beginning. Kiherehere ni mbaya Laughing out loudly
kaka2za
#98 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 6:13:00 PM

AlphDoti wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
hardwood wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Are IAAF idlers?

@hardwood you're really such an idler jumping into things you didn't know from the beginning. This was clear from the beginning. Kiherehere ni mbaya Laughing out loudly

I had to come out and laugh at this.Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
hardwood
#99 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 6:29:54 PM

It was a computer assisted race. Computer algorithms. Yeye ni kifaranga (champion) ya computer. It's like playing chess then the computer gives you all the clues then you claim to be the world's best player. No wonder the IAAF and other serious athletic bodies do not recognize the "record".

abcnews wrote:
He had laser beams guiding the way. Assisting him was the visible green laser display that was projected from the electric pace car positioned ahead of Kipchoge and his runners.

The laser beams were used to identify the ideal position on the road for Kipchoge to follow and reportedly programmed to assist him to complete the course in a time of 1:59.50, a mark he ultimately dipped under.

hardwood
#100 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 6:52:09 PM

The 1.59 event has even been termed as a stunt, a marketing gimmick and even fake news. That the whole event was meaningless and useless to the real athletic world.

gazeti wrote:
Among the top fake news stories this week, a Kenyan man was celebrated for breaking the two-hour mark in the marathon. Not to take anything away from Eliud Kipchoge — obviously a tremendous athlete who did run 4:34 pace for 26.2 miles — but the race will not count as an official marathon record with the International Association of Athletics Federations.

Why? Because it was held on a closed course, using an electric pace car with a lighted clock, and a field of about 41 rotating “rabbits” — runners who are just there to help the designated record-breaker keep the pace. These rotating 41 world-class runners also broke the wind in a V-formation, allowing Kipchoge to draft off them. They even used laser beams from the pace car to keep Kipchoge’s pacers in the most wind-efficient formation for him to draft.

It’s reminiscent of cyclists setting land-speed records with pace vehicles on the Bonneville Salt Flats. Just last year a woman went 183.9 mph on a bicycle in this manner but this qualifies as more of a stunt than an official sports benchmark.

It’s only the latest in a series of marketing and gaming gimmicks built around the eventuality that someone will someday soon run an official sub-two-hour marathon.

The sponsor of this latest made-for-media event is INEOS — one of the world’s largest producers of chemicals, oil and gas. This is one of the big problems with the 1:59 agenda: Big money got in the way. Last time it was Nike that in 2017 made a media splash with its “Breaking2” event which fell short of the mark but got the company millions worth of free advertising for its new shoes in the process. Kipchoge ran 2:00:25 in that unreality show.

The larger question actually is, who cares?