wazua Mon, May 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages<1234>»
Eliud Kipchoge. This man!
Shak
#21 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 5:05:04 PM

I wonder what percentage of winnings goes to the coaches and agents.
sitaki.kujulikana
#22 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 6:57:32 PM

smile watu are obsessed with money, from what I have heard about the guy he is a humble guy, works very hard and I doubt if money is a motivation for him.
Pesa huisha, he seems to enjoy what he does.
masukuma
#23 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 10:44:36 PM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
smile watu are obsessed with money, from what I have heard about the guy he is a humble guy, works very hard and I doubt if money is a motivation for him.

it's important to keep an eye on the money - why would you think humble and hardworking guys are not motivated by money? they are humble and hardworking - not stupid! I hope he is not! He should not do himself that disservice! he needs to keep an eye on his money! there are no shortage of athletes who discover that life is much longer than their careers.... much much longer! Keep your eye on the ball... take all you can... there will be time enough for counting when you retire.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Alba
#24 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2018 4:45:38 AM

sitaki.kujulikana wrote:

All Kenyan marathoners are motivated by money. If money was not the motivating factor, Kenyans would be pretty useless at marathons.

Its impossible to train for marathons for so many years if money was not the key motivator. These people run 80 miles a week, run up and down hills, do sprint intervals like 4 X 200m. By the time the training session is over, they are basically vomiting.

Anyway city marathons only became lucrative some time around the late 1980s to early 1990s. Prior to that, Kenya was a non factor in the marathons. In fact Kenya was so poor at the marathon that sometimes they did not bother participating at the worlds or the Olympics.

As I recall, the first half decent marathoner was Joseph Nzau then came Wakihuri, then Ibrahim Hussein and then the floodgates opened.
masukuma
#25 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2018 5:54:48 AM

Alba wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:

All Kenyan marathoners are motivated by money. If money was not the motivating factor, Kenyans would be pretty useless at marathons.

Its impossible to train for marathons for so many years if money was not the key motivator. These people run 80 miles a week, run up and down hills, do sprint intervals like 4 X 200m. By the time the training session is over, they are basically vomiting.

Anyway city marathons only became lucrative some time around the late 1980s to early 1990s. Prior to that, Kenya was a non factor in the marathons. In fact Kenya was so poor at the marathon that sometimes they did not bother participating at the worlds or the Olympics.

As I recall, the first half decent marathoner was Joseph Nzau then came Wakihuri, then Ibrahim Hussein and then the floodgates opened.

Exactly! As soon as athletes started making money and building huge houses mashambani - children of poor parents started thinking..hmmm... you mean I can run and change my life in a few years? And to work they went.. generation after generation. If you want to know - look at their responses when they were asked to pay taxes on trophy money. And I think it's fine and OK to be driven/motivated by money rather than some amorphous thing like patriotism. Keyword is Than... of course the best case is when you have both! But if it happens that you are to lack one of the two...let that one be patriotism... at least until you can reach to a level where you can forego income.
AlphDoti
#26 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2018 10:40:32 AM

masukuma wrote:
Alba wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:

Exactly! As soon as athletes started making money and building huge houses mashambani - children of poor parents started thinking..hmmm... you mean I can run and change my life in a few years? And to work they went.. generation after generation. If you want to know - look at their responses when they were asked to pay taxes on trophy money. And I think it's fine and OK to be driven/motivated by money rather than some amorphous thing like patriotism. Keyword is Than... of course the best case is when you have both! But if it happens that you are to lack one of the two...let that one be patriotism... at least until you can reach to a level where you can forego income.

Wivu kitu mbaya sana. This is the story of the Fox and the Grapes. When he realizes he will not be able to reach up at the grapes, the fox becomes disdainful; he tells himself that those grapes were sour and not worthy of desire anyway...

Envy will kill some people
hamburglar
#27 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2018 2:54:13 PM

That world record was absolutely astonishing but I think he made a blunder. I think he should have broken it by just a few seconds then keep lowering it every year for like the next 6-7 years because I honestly believe barring injuries (knock on wood) he is capable of being in top form for at least another 6 more years. 6 consecutive WR’s would have made him perhaps the greatest athlete of our time. Plus the bonus money for breaking the record every year wouldn’t have been too shady either and the anticipation and excitement year after year going into the race would be off the charts. The whole world would be tuning in to watch the historic event every year. I think he should have shaved off like 10 seconds or so for starters and then about 15 seconds every year after that.

But then again, what do I know, this man seems invincible and might just take this already ridiculous record further down into the 2:00s next year. I can’t put it past him after that phenomenal performance on Sunday. Next year’s race will be very appetizing.

Oh. And GoK, give this man a handsome cheque. Deposit 100m into his bank account, he deserves it.
madollar
#28 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2018 3:05:27 PM

hamburglar wrote:
That world record was absolutely astonishing but I think he made a blunder. I think he should have broken it by just a few seconds then keep lowering it every year for like the next 6-7 years because I honestly believe he is capable of being in top form for at least another 6 more years. 6 consecutive WR’s would have made him perhaps the greatest athlete of our time. Plus the bonus money for breaking the record every year wouldn’t have been too shady either and the anticipation and excitement year after year going into the race would be off the charts. The whole world would be tuning in to watch the historic event every year. I think he should have shaved off like 10 seconds or so for starters and then about 15 seconds every year after that.

But then again, what do I know, this man seems invincible and might just take this already ridiculous record further down into the 2:00s next year. I can’t put it past him after that phenomenal performance on Sunday. Next year’s race will be very appetizing.

Oh. And GoK, give this man a handsome cheque. Deposit 100m into his bank account, he deserves it.

Hakuna blunder here When it comes to breaking the world record kwa marathon it comes down to two things the athlete and the weather recall last year kulinyesha from start to end and he had similar plans.The year before that he had issues with his running shoes.This year everything fell in place perfectly apart from the pacers its even unlikely kipchoge will run like that again but that we wait to see
Kusadikika
#29 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2018 4:14:23 PM

masukuma wrote:
Alba wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:

People forget that for Kipchoge and other elite marathoners running is their job. It is how they make a living to feed their families. They have become more sophisticated now and they now have a running team. (NN running team) This is a business unit that aims to maximize returns for the athletes. I think with this unit they are able to negotiate better from sponsors and also cordinate for even better fees for each of the athletes. Which means you will probably rarely see Kipchoge and Bekele in the same race and if they do the organizers will have to pay top dollar in appearance fee to each for the clash. These guys have discovered what Mayweather has always known, make them pay.

https://www.nnrunningteam.com/en/team/
Alba
#30 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 4:41:57 AM

hamburglar wrote:
That world record was absolutely astonishing but I think he made a blunder. I think he should have broken it by just a few seconds then keep lowering it every year for like the next 6-7 years because I honestly believe barring injuries (knock on wood) he is capable of being in top form for at least another 6 more years. 6 consecutive WR’s would have made him perhaps the greatest athlete of our time. Plus the bonus money for breaking the record every year wouldn’t have been too shady either and the anticipation and excitement year after year going into the race would be off the charts. The whole world would be tuning in to watch the historic event every year. I think he should have shaved off like 10 seconds or so for starters and then about 15 seconds every year after that.

Kipchoge is 33 now. I guess you think he can keep running at this level until he is 40. Highly unlikely. He is at an age now where injuries will start to pile up. And Most marathon runners rarely stay at the same level once they break a record. It takes a lot out of you.

Kipchoge did well to break the record by such a margin. He put the record so far out of reach that it will be years before someone breaks it. In the meantime since he is the record holder, the can command massive appearance fees for each race.

Its a good
obiero
#31 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 6:16:23 AM

Alba wrote:
hamburglar wrote:

Kipchoge is 33 now. I guess you think he can keep running at this level until he is 40. Highly unlikely. He is at an age now where injuries will start to pile up. And Most marathon runners rarely stay at the same level once they break a record. It takes a lot out of you.

Kipchoge did well to break the record by such a margin. He put the record so far out of reach that it will be years before someone breaks it. In the meantime since he is the record holder, the can command massive appearance fees for each race.

Its a good

True @Alba. Its like getting some. When you get a chance you take it! No one knows about tomorrow

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
hamburglar
#32 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 10:29:59 AM

Alba wrote:
hamburglar wrote:

Its a good

You are definitely right. We never know about tomorrow. Mine was just overzealous wishful thinking. That’s the scenario that I would love to see but like you said, it’s never guaranteed. It would be super awesome though if he could lower that record for the next 5-6 years in a row. Plus it would make him the absolute GOAT by a very wide margin and also a very rich man to boot. People love seeing history being made in sports and that kind of history year after year would be really really mouth watering for fans as well as very lucrative for race organizers and the atheletes themselves.
Kusadikika
#33 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 3:26:56 PM

hamburglar wrote:
Alba wrote:
hamburglar wrote:

Its a good

You are definitely right. We never know about tomorrow. Mine was just overzealous wishful thinking. That’s the scenario that I would love to see but like you said, it’s never guaranteed. It would be super awesome though if he could lower that record for the next 5-6 years in a row. Plus it would make him the absolute GOAT by a very wide margin and also a very rich man to boot. People love seeing history being made in sports and that kind of history year after year would be really really mouth watering for fans as well as very lucrative for race organizers and the atheletes themselves.

Hamburglar that is not a bad strategy if you can pull it off. There is actually a guy called Sergey Bubka who did it in pole vault for 10 years straight. He used to break his own record pole pole (slowly) every year for 10 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Bubka

The problem with marathon is that the outcome is not in your control like in pole vault. You can be very prepared but the weather is bad or your pace setters are slow etc.
hamburglar
#34 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 5:20:55 PM

Kusadikika wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
Alba wrote:
hamburglar wrote:

Its a good

Hamburglar that is not a bad strategy if you can pull it off. There is actually a guy called Sergey Bubka who did it in pole vault for 10 years straight. He used to break his own record pole pole (slowly) every year for 10 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Bubka

The problem with marathon is that the outcome is not in your control like in pole vault. You can be very prepared but the weather is bad or your pace setters are slow etc.

Absolutely. Track and field fans will fondly remember Sergei Bubka’s exploits in the pole vault. The guy used to compete against himself for the better part of a decade or so. Lavellanie would have been the new Bubka but while he’s been winning regularly for the last 10 years, his wins don’t ever come with WR’s.

If Eliud Kipchoge ever somehow runs under 2:00, he will officially be Jesus.
AlphDoti
#35 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 6:33:22 PM

I just finished listening his address, nice one Applause Applause
sitaki.kujulikana
#36 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 6:55:01 PM

masukuma wrote:
Alba wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:

I agree money plays a part, and it should no doubt about that. I think I am just too romantic with the love of what one does, blame it on all those funny business boos that tell me to have a passion of what I do and money will follow smile

Sometimes if money is the main factor once you get the first big batch of the same the interest and zeal ind of drops off, and I am sure Eliud is not a poor man, I am sure that nike project that he works for pays decently, but anywhos, he only knows what motivates him, I just thought seeing him it has to do more with something else not money.
#37 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 7:36:49 PM

Alba wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:

I don't know if I entirely agree with that statement. There's talent for marathon in Kenya. An American or even a Nigerian would do it for money too but they can't beat Kenyans. 100M, 200M etc, NBA, NFL, Football, Baseball, Boxing, F1, music etc. are all about money too. Let's not put our people down and give them credit where it's due despite the big pay days or motives. Money is a motivator.

BBI will solve it
:)
masukuma
#38 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:16:25 AM

2012 wrote:
Alba wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:

I don't know if I entirely agree with that statement. There's talent for marathon in Kenya. An American or even a Nigerian would do it for money too but they can't beat Kenyans. 100M, 200M etc, NBA, NFL, Football, Baseball, Boxing, F1, music etc. are all about money too. Let's not put our people down and give them credit where it's due despite the big pay days or motives. Money is a motivator.

why do people take it as being negative when someone says "you are motivated by money"? I have never really understood that mentality - BEING MOTIVATED BY MONEY IS A GOOD THING, IT'S A POSITIVE THING!! I AM MOTIVATED TO WORK FIRST BY MONEY THEN PATRIOTISM/GOOD/[INSERT SOME VIRTUE HERE] SECOND. If we had more of that as a country we would be in a much better place. Kila mwamba ngoma ngozi huvuta pande yake. They figured out just how to make money from what they can do well - let them!
hamburglar
#39 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:44:09 AM

masukuma wrote:
2012 wrote:
Alba wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:

why do people take it as being negative when someone says "you are motivated by money"? I have never really understood that mentality - BEING MOTIVATED BY MONEY IS A GOOD THING, IT'S A POSITIVE THING!! I AM MOTIVATED TO WORK FIRST BY MONEY THEN PATRIOTISM/GOOD/[INSERT SOME VIRTUE HERE] SECOND. If we had more of that as a country we would be in a much better place. Kila mwamba ngoma ngozi huvuta pande yake. They figured out just how to make money from what they can do well - let them!

Applause Applause
sitaki.kujulikana
#40 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 3:30:31 PM

masukuma wrote:
2012 wrote:
Alba wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:

Its not bad to be motivated by money, everyone has their own motivations in life. Even hapa wazua there are guys who are motivated by money and they spend a lot of time say studying shares and stuff, but also on wazua there are guys I think who do charity work educating kids their motivation is also different.

Its not a bad thing, just stating that I thought eliud was not motivated by money, just an opinion, not that it makes you a lesser being if your motivation in life is money, its a good thing also.