Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123>
Deacons HY18
VituVingiSana
#21 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2018 1:54:40 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
the deal wrote:
@VVS once said this is the next Gap https://www.businessdail...57592-t1ncb5/index.html d'oh! d'oh! Shame on you

Dear @thedeal,

If you can find and post the so-called quote I made that "this is the next Gap" [please post the entire quote/post so it is in context] then I will admit it AND donate $100 to a charity that plants trees. Please provide the date and thread of the quote as well.

If you cannot find the so-called quote you said I made that "this is the next Gap" then as an apology, please send $100 to the same charity as indicated above.

I shall provide info of this charity as soon as we have the answer.

This is line with my new resolution of discussing the merits and demerits of investments.

Sincerely,

VVS

P.S. Doesn't apply to @Obiero (& KQ) coz I want a little fun Laughing out loudly plus he still owes me 100k + interest smile

Lol. Let me help look for the quote, seems like something you would say..
Let him back up his words with $100!
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Fyatu
#22 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2018 3:02:52 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
wukan wrote:
The CEO earns 23m a year to run this thing to the ground and burn shareholders and bondholders to recognition. Kenya has a peculiar way of rewarding mediocrity

There are bondholders in here, whah Corporate governance in Kenya goes back to the dogs. Pole kwao!!!!

Pain. Was this firm also listed by introduction and not by IPO? There is a pattern here on our soko mjinga(NSE)....
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
Ericsson
#23 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2018 4:26:37 PM

Fyatu wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
wukan wrote:
The CEO earns 23m a year to run this thing to the ground and burn shareholders and bondholders to recognition. Kenya has a peculiar way of rewarding mediocrity

There are bondholders in here, whah Corporate governance in Kenya goes back to the dogs. Pole kwao!!!!

Pain. Was this firm also listed by introduction and not by IPO? There is a pattern here on our soko mjinga(NSE)....

A production of the tough economic times,when you saw empty malls,just know they were the next casualties
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
#24 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 9:53:16 AM

I still don't understand why Deacons did not go online. Their core business should have been online since they had already built trust from customers. Huge opportunity missed.

BBI will solve it
:)
Ericsson
#25 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 9:58:29 AM

2012 wrote:
I still don't understand why Deacons did not go online. Their core business should have been online since they had already built trust from customers. Huge opportunity missed.

Ask Safaricom and its masoko then you'll realise online isn't that lucrative in Kenya
Angelica _ann
#26 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 1:32:01 PM

Ericsson wrote:
2012 wrote:

Ask Safaricom and its masoko then you'll realise online isn't that lucrative in Kenya

How come Kilimall and Jumia online seem to be doing just fine?
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Ericsson
#27 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 1:48:38 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
2012 wrote:

Jumia online is doing fine ?????
Read the below;
https://www.businessdail...6688-baq1s7z/index.html

E-commerce company Jumia has sunk deeper in the red, posting a Sh14.9 billion loss before tax and other costs in the year ended December compared to Sh11.3 billion a year earlier.

The loss does not give an indication of the company’s bottom-line as it excludes most of the standard business expenses including finance costs, depreciation and stock-based compensation.
VituVingiSana
#28 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 3:19:37 PM

Lots of complaints about Jumia.
Jumia is a platform and not the seller for many of the items so quality control may be an issue.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Horton
#29 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 3:58:05 PM

I remember Centum trying to buy a stake in Deacons and then backed out. Was intelligent of them. They must have seen this coming I guess
Ericsson
#30 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 4:17:33 PM

Horton wrote:
I remember Centum trying to buy a stake in Deacons and then backed out. Was intelligent of them. They must have seen this coming I guess

But they bought KREP Bank
Fyatu
#31 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 4:24:42 PM

Where do the real middle class(hapana ile bandia) buy their clothes in Kenya? I buy mine anywhere and usually wear them for a minimum of three years before thinking of buying new ones and/or brand new second hannds,or not unless mama watoto buys me some. Deacons made a big error mismanaging Mr. Price franchise by overpricing and under-stocking and eventually leting it go
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
the deal
#32 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2018 7:38:36 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
2012 wrote:

Read the below;

E-commerce company Jumia has sunk deeper in the red, posting a Sh14.9 billion loss before tax and other costs in the year ended December compared to Sh11.3 billion a year earlier.

The loss does not give an indication of the company’s bottom-line as it excludes most of the standard business expenses including finance costs, depreciation and stock-based compensation.

Top line growth looks magnificent... Any link to detailed results

"Jumia’s sales grew 41.8 per cent to Sh62.95 billion on the back of higher customer numbers"
mulla
#33 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 3:20:04 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
2012 wrote:

Read the below;

It looks E Commerce is a tough business to venture into. High capital, high turnover but loss making. It took Amazon almost 15years before they recently started raking in profits.
madollar
#34 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 4:36:13 PM

Fyatu wrote:
Where do the real middle class(hapana ile bandia) buy their clothes in Kenya? I buy mine anywhere and usually wear them for a minimum of three years before thinking of buying new ones and/or brand new second hannds,or not unless mama watoto buys me some. Deacons made a big error mismanaging Mr. Price franchise by overpricing and under-stocking and eventually leting it go

Mtumba business is thriving that is where the masses are they should have tested the waters with something like deacons mtumba stores located huko ndani ya maesto or one big one in the major cities.With the resources at their disposal they could have easily pulled this off. lakini those stores in the malls sijuikuendaaje people would have become suspicious but doesn't matter anyway that model has failed.
Horton
#35 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 7:47:09 PM

madollar wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

Mtumba business is thriving that is where the masses are they should have tested the waters with something like deacons mtumba stores located huko ndani ya maesto or one big one in the major cities.With the resources at their disposal they could have easily pulled this off. lakini those stores in the malls sijuikuendaaje people would have become suspicious but doesn't matter anyway that model has failed.

Deacons:

1. Too expensive compare to Babyshop Dxb the prices were sometimes double or triple. Seems like their target was the 1% vs the mindorrro crass
2. Staff extremely hostile.
3. A lot of products were not available. They filled their shops with useless items
the deal
#36 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2018 11:20:29 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
the deal wrote:
@VVS once said this is the next Gap https://www.businessdail...57592-t1ncb5/index.html d'oh! d'oh! Shame on you

Dear @thedeal,

If you can find and post the so-called quote I made that "this is the next Gap" [please post the entire quote/post so it is in context] then I will admit it AND donate $100 to a charity that plants trees. Please provide the date and thread of the quote as well.

If you cannot find the so-called quote you said I made that "this is the next Gap" then as an apology, please send $100 to the same charity as indicated above.

This is line with my new resolution of discussing the merits and demerits of investments.

Sincerely,

VVS

P.S. Doesn't apply to @Obiero (& KQ) coz I want a little fun Laughing out loudly plus he still owes me 100k + interest smile

Chief @VVS I have searched Wazua universe...Apologies and what is charities name?
obiero
#37 Posted : Wednesday, November 28, 2018 11:41:40 AM

the deal wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
the deal wrote:

Dear @thedeal,

Sincerely,

VVS

Chief @VVS I have searched Wazua universe...Apologies and what is charities name?

@the deal you didn't search hard enough

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
VituVingiSana
#38 Posted : Wednesday, March 06, 2019 11:24:30 PM

obiero wrote:
the deal wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
the deal wrote:

Dear @thedeal,

Sincerely,

VVS

@the deal you didn't search hard enough
@Obiero - Wachana kelele ya chura. Help @thedeal if you can.

Don't forget you owe me KES 100,000 + interest + penalties.
@Sparkly will confirm, I came through with my payment even though it took some time so as to remain "anonymous"
VituVingiSana
#39 Posted : Wednesday, March 06, 2019 11:32:10 PM

Deacons shareholders give the nod for Sh450m loan search
https://www.businessdail...2600-ufvwlnz/index.html
>>>
Who is going to give Deacons 450mn as a loan?
Ericsson
#40 Posted : Thursday, March 07, 2019 7:35:38 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Deacons shareholders give the nod for Sh450m loan search
https://www.businessdail...2600-ufvwlnz/index.html
>>>
Who is going to give Deacons 450mn as a loan?

I am even wondering