wazua Sat, Apr 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages«<23456>
100% solar powered maisonette possible?
amorphous
#61 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2020 7:22:25 PM

tom_boy wrote:
I am looking to use Lithium Iron batteries for solar system. Any leads on how I can get these?

https://www.desertcart.c...v-golf-carts-performance
Age and family mellows us all over time
tom_boy
#62 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2020 7:34:15 PM

amorphous wrote:
[quote=tom_boy]I am looking to use Lithium Iron batteries for solar system. Any leads on how I can get these?

https://www.desertcart.c...-golf-carts-performance[/quote]

That price is too much for too little. I have been looking for a shipping company to ship lithium battery from China. Seems impossible to get. Will welcome any contacts.
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
amorphous
#63 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2020 7:39:36 PM

tom_boy wrote:
amorphous wrote:
[quote=tom_boy]I am looking to use Lithium Iron batteries for solar system. Any leads on how I can get these?

That price is too much for too little. I have been looking for a shipping company to ship lithium battery from China. Seems impossible to get. Will welcome any contacts.

Business opportunity for you right there.
I will be your first customer smile
amorphous
#64 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2020 8:46:26 AM

amorphous wrote:
sqft wrote:
I came across this informative video regarding putting solar components together. It seems like its something one can DIY.

It is very easy to set up once you work from output needed backwards.

For me and my 150W output (from the inverter) system, my 30A charge controller and recently upgraded 75Ah battery (from 40Ah) and 80W solar panel are working perfectly. I simply need to power TV, laptop and 3-4 very low watt LED bulbs during blackouts and the total wattage of all those devices is well below 150.

And nothing beats practical experience when dealing with solar. You can read all the manuals in the world but once you connect and start using the system, you will learn more in two days than from a month of book research and videos.

Connection is basically Solar panel to charge controller to battery to inverter to devices..which is not rocket science since you are just connecting negatives to positives and the charge controller instructions in the box tell you everything.

Almost a year in of use of this cheap but very effective back system, this is my advice to those interested in the same;

1. There are a LOT of scam compenents in the solar market. If you are naive and green you can easily get conned. Please avoid any charge controller that looks like this. They are super cheap and come in thousands of different brand names but i suspect they are all made by one Chinese conman company. I have never met person who has anything good to say about these types of charge controllers. It will go kaput within months (or even days) of use, trust me.

2. Raggie PWM charge controller at no more than 3k kshs is WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD. As i have said before this thing is a workhorse! Easy to use and no issues whatsoever with it so far.

3. Get these types of inverters. They too are a blessing! Dirt cheap and very efficient. Should cost you no more than 3-4k for 300W and below. No overheating issues (they have an excellent fan) and give sweet consistent 220V output.

4.AVOID AT ALL COSTS any inverters that look like this

They are terrible and the wattage they say they deliver seldom matches. They also conk out easily

5. With batteries, even so called deep cycle solar batteries, there are no guarantees. Car batteries sometimes work even better than so called deep cycle solar batteries yet are dirt cheap. As long as you are not drawing down your batteries to less than 50% during each use, any battery works fine. I am told Wanda solar batteries are bure and Ritar are good...on this ni trial and error tu.

The Oushang panel amazes me..it works even under low light conditions so these days I just lean in on the inside part of the window and it charges my system nyweee bila shida yoyote In fact I need to switch the charge controller off for days at a time because it charges up my battery fast!

6. Keep your system mobile. Do not hammer the components to the wall unless you have a huge system powering the whole house or one floor. That way you can move it to any room you need and can also carry it on a road trip easy. Moving it is a breeze. I highly recommend battery clips (below) from charge controller to battery and inverter to battery. Makes for easy set up and movement. You just disconnect the clips..carry the battery to the other room, then the inverter, then the panel with cables connected to the charge controller and set up again in seconds.

Bottom line my mini system has paid for itself interms of convenience and peace of mind many times over. As I said the only change I have made is to add kidogo battery capacity in case a blackout lasts more than a day and so far that has not happened. In fact i have too much power for my system and am very happy with it as of now.

Also when you start small you learn faster at minimal cost instead of installing a huge system that fails you and costs an arm and a leg.

tom_boy
#65 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2020 10:28:59 PM

amorphous wrote:
tom_boy wrote:
amorphous wrote:

But seriously, do you know why its impossible to import lithium batteries to Kenya from China, yet USA and Europe easily import theirs from China, even by air?
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
quadc
#66 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2020 12:35:44 AM

tom_boy wrote:
amorphous wrote:
tom_boy wrote:
amorphous wrote:

But seriously, do you know why its impossible to import lithium batteries to Kenya from China, yet USA and Europe easily import theirs from China, even by air?

Its doable but batteries especially lithium ion type which can combust easily are classified as dangerous good in transportation and require special handling before shipping thus its likely to cost you a lot lot more to ship them to Kenya compared to USA/Europe whose import volume is very huge.
What type of lithium battery are you looking for ion or polymer type?
amorphous
#67 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2020 8:00:46 AM

tom_boy wrote:

Why do you say it is impossible? You can order via alibaba and have it at your house in weeks if not days.

https://www.alibaba.com/....4f755bfaJwjIjp&s=p

https://www.alibaba.com/...4857.0.0.4f755bfaJwjIjp

Lithium-ion batteries are expensive and as you have already shown..Kenyans are very price sensitive people ("please call me" could only exist in a country like KiinyaLaughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly ) and this, I suspect, is the main reason why these batteries are not common here.

Why would I spend 200k for a lithium ion battery when that much can build a 1kw full system with huge ordinary battery bank that can last me a decade or more if well maintained?

In fact I once watched a youtube video some time back (wish I could find it again) made by this guy who had been using cheap thrown away CAR batteries that nobody wanted and they worked perfectly for him because he got an amazing amount of amp-hours for little to nothing..and since the batteries were so many..they almost never got drawn down to less than 80% each which gave him years and years of great solar powered service.
amorphous
#68 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2020 8:27:54 AM

Jana I upgraded my inverter from 150W to 300w , just so I can power a few more devices. I am also finding that 75ah battery is waay more than needed for me.

My current device list to be powered when there is a temporary blackout;

TV - 65W
Laptop - 65W
GDLite system - 30W

Total = 160W and remember the GDLite system only uses power when being charged..during blackouts it discharges power to the LED bulbs.

The LED bulbs in the GDlite system use a paltry 3W each Laughing out loudly meaning one single lamp can last 20-25hrs if powered alone. If you power all three lamps you get at least 8 hours.

Bottom line I can still add a few more devices to my system but for now I am smiling deeply whenever a blackout happens (which is rarely). You cannot beat this for a humble cost of under 20k.

The only problem with solar is once you start dabbling with it you get hookedDrool ! I keep thinking about solar all the time. It is extremely fascinating to me to watch the TV running nyweeeee for hours and hours while the inverter hums while drawing juice from a simple battery. Definitely a wonder to behold.

As I said..when I build my cabin in the bundus..I will definitely go 100% solar..2KW system or below. The economics of it in terms of long term savings and reliability are incredible.

No wonder KPLC is complaining and now wants to put hurdles for all those Kenyans who are running at top speed to solar as we speakLaughing out loudly .

My fren, it is DANGEROUS in this day and age not to have any sort of solar back up system..especially in these uncertain corona times! Wakisema we are returning lockdowns to 24hrs a day (stay home and sanitise) and you cannot go to your job and hence have no money..you will realise very fast why you need solar, water harvesting from your roof and kitchen garden in your compound if you own your own place. If you do not own your own place uko taabani kabsaaaaa...hence DC being the future because it (land and home ownership) can be done affordably there.

NIMESEMA!
kayhara
#69 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2020 11:49:01 AM

back-up muhimu, I started mine with the vispra 1000 watt inverter charger and the 200ah gel battery from sollatek, I charge with kplc, I will not interfere with that system which I think is under used it powers tv 70 watts, ceiling fan 75 watts, router 7 watts, bulbs 40 watts hifi 35 watts.
I am getting the vispra 2000 watts inverter charger and 2x 200 ah gel batteries and 2x 350 watt Schneider solar panels, this will keep my freezer, fridge, 4 ceiling fans, an induction cooker can continue running, also the 1000 watt set-up will charge from this, only my oven, microwave, shower, iron and kettle will be on kplc.
To Each His Own
winmak
#70 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2020 1:07:14 PM

kayhara wrote:
back-up muhimu, I started mine with the vispra 1000 watt inverter charger and the 200ah gel battery from sollatek, I charge with kplc, I will not interfere with that system which I think is under used it powers tv 70 watts, ceiling fan 75 watts, router 7 watts, bulbs 40 watts hifi 35 watts.
I am getting the vispra 2000 watts inverter charger and 2x 200 ah gel batteries and 2x 350 watt Schneider solar panels, this will keep my freezer, fridge, 4 ceiling fans, an induction cooker can continue running, also the 1000 watt set-up will charge from this, only my oven, microwave, shower, iron and kettle will be on kplc.

Good stuff...

My 'solar consultant' has suggested to me this for a mansionnette with avg use of 4kWh/day, heaviest appliances being 3 shower heaters, fridge, iron box, water pump and microwave:

1. 4 pannels of 275 watts
2. 2 batteries (cant remember the specs)
3. 2.4kW hybrid inverter (to be done in a way such that it can automatically draw power from KPLC once the batteries go lower than a preset figure)

This comes closest to near total off grid with KPLC as the back up during periods of heavy use (which he advices I do during the day at full sun glow - like water pumping and ironing... and try to stagger usage so that I dont have the heavy users running at the same time... otherwise I require a 3kW inverter which pushes the cost by another 45,000
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
tom_boy
#71 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2020 1:19:52 PM

winmak wrote:
kayhara wrote:

Good stuff...

My 'solar consultant' has suggested to me this for a mansionnette with avg use of 4kWh/day, heaviest appliances being 3 shower heaters, fridge, iron box, water pump and microwave:

3. 2.4kW hybrid inverter (to be done in a way such that it can automatically draw power from KPLC once the batteries go lower than a preset figure)

This comes closest to near total off grid with KPLC as the back up during periods of heavy use (which he advices I do during the day at full sun glow - like water pumping and ironing... and try to stagger usage so that I dont have the heavy users running at the same time... otherwise I require a 3kW inverter which pushes the cost by another 45,000

4000 watts per day consumption. Assuming largest batteries I have seen around are 12v 200ah, 2 batts will give you 4800 watts worth of storage. Of this storage, only 2400watts is available for use. Again, you do not want to drain those batteries by 2400 watts each evening otherwise you will soon look for new batteries in 2 yrs.

4 275w panels may also not be adequate to charge 2 12v 200ah batteries. Make sure you get an mppt charge controller. With a pwm charge controller you may never fill those batteries unless on a very sunny day. Undercharged lead acid batteries = shortened lifespan.
winmak
#72 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2020 4:29:00 PM

tom_boy wrote:
winmak wrote:
kayhara wrote:

Good stuff...

4000 watts per day consumption. Assuming largest batteries I have seen around are 12v 200ah, 2 batts will give you 4800 watts worth of storage. Of this storage, only 2400watts is available for use. Again, you do not want to drain those batteries by 2400 watts each evening otherwise you will soon look for new batteries in 2 yrs.

4 275w panels may also not be adequate to charge 2 12v 200ah batteries. Make sure you get an mppt charge controller. With a pwm charge controller you may never fill those batteries unless on a very sunny day. Undercharged lead acid batteries = shortened lifespan.

Thanks Tom.... am copy pasting your comments to The Consultant, let’s hear his take
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
amorphous
#73 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2020 7:35:32 PM

kayhara wrote:

Good stuff bro Applause , I can see you are also hooked on solar.
If and when I do decide to upgrade my small system, I like the idea of hard wiring in the solar system to just one section of the house (for example upstairs only) or certain breakers only (eg lights peke yake) with a changeover switch installed next to the main internal electrical box. This way the existing wiring of the house is used as opposed to additional DC wiring which can be unsightly. That way I can have an affordable system that does not need to power the whole house yet offers convenience of nywee lights etc for hours and hours during blackouts. There are really no limits when it comes to solar.
amorphous
#74 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2020 7:46:22 PM

winmak wrote:
kayhara wrote:

Good stuff...

Your consultant gave you excellent advice. Hybrid MPPT inverters are a man made wonder and can save you loads on KPLC. The system seems adequate to me...keeping in mind that during blackouts you will not be using 100% of daily usage...solar during blackout is just a stopgap measure if you have KPLC so no need to get a huge costly system which you will not use optimally. Good luck and update us on how things go.
mkenyan
#75 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2020 8:53:35 PM

winmak wrote:
kayhara wrote:

Good stuff...

what costs are you working with for each of the above?
tom_boy
#76 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2020 11:26:43 PM

amorphous wrote:
winmak wrote:
kayhara wrote:

Good stuff...

Your consultant gave you excellent advice. Hybrid MPPT inverters are a man made wonder and can save you loads on KPLC. The system seems adequate to me...keeping in mind that during blackouts you will not be using 100% of daily usage...solar during blackout is just a stopgap measure if you have KPLC so no need to get a huge costly system which you will not use optimally. Good luck and update us on how things go.

As a back up system in case kplc fails, its ok. As the main system its not adequate to provide 4000 watts daily. You will fid yourself using kplc for a portion of the time and this will greatly reduce your battery life because each day you will fully discharge your batteries to maximum.

Also note that a 2400 watt inverter cannot run any of those mentioned items simultaneously, it will have to be one by one. A water heater instant shower alone can be 2500 watts, microwave alone can be 2000 watts. So you may not manage to have 2 people shower off solar or have someone switch on microwave while another is ironing etc etc. So judicious use of appliances is called for here.

As a lights only backup, it is adequate. To run those appliances, I highly doubt it.
tom_boy
#77 Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2020 11:50:34 PM

amorphous wrote:
tom_boy wrote:

Why do you say it is impossible? You can order via alibaba and have it at your house in weeks if not days.

https://www.alibaba.com/....4f755bfaJwjIjp&s=p

https://www.alibaba.com/...4857.0.0.4f755bfaJwjIjp

Lithium-ion batteries are expensive and as you have already shown..Kenyans are very price sensitive people ("please call me" could only exist in a country like KiinyaLaughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly ) and this, I suspect, is the main reason why these batteries are not common here.

Why would I spend 200k for a lithium ion battery when that much can build a 1kw full system with huge ordinary battery bank that can last me a decade or more if well maintained?

In fact I once watched a youtube video some time back (wish I could find it again) made by this guy who had been using cheap thrown away CAR batteries that nobody wanted and they worked perfectly for him because he got an amazing amount of amp-hours for little to nothing..and since the batteries were so many..they almost never got drawn down to less than 80% each which gave him years and years of great solar powered service.

If you get someone who can transport that battery pictured above to Kenya from China, give me a shout out. I will even buy you kahawa or other such drink to your liking.
amorphous
#78 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2020 4:23:58 AM

tom_boy wrote:
amorphous wrote:
winmak wrote:
kayhara wrote:

Good stuff...

As a back up system in case kplc fails, its ok. As the main system its not adequate to provide 4000 watts daily. You will fid yourself using kplc for a portion of the time and this will greatly reduce your battery life because each day you will fully discharge your batteries to maximum.

Also note that a 2400 watt inverter cannot run any of those mentioned items simultaneously, it will have to be one by one. A water heater instant shower alone can be 2500 watts, microwave alone can be 2000 watts. So you may not manage to have 2 people shower off solar or have someone switch on microwave while another is ironing etc etc. So judicious use of appliances is called for here.

As a lights only backup, it is adequate. To run those appliances, I highly doubt it.

Please remember how a hybrid all in one MPPT inverter works;

- It can draw juice from the panels AND KPLC at the same time and optimise depending on settings
- It has a crazy amount of other settings including exactly how much % draw down you want on your batteries before KPLC kicks in.
-Can even draw juice from a generator or work with no batteries whatsoever depending on model.
- Has so many other features that would take over an hour to expound upon.

winmak was quite clear that the system would use KPLC backup during periods of heavy use.

These hybrid inverters are a man made wonder as I said before. Once you go over 1KW in solar size they are the no-brainer option for domestic use. I am yet to need such a system but when I do, will definitely go the winmak way.

amorphous
#79 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2020 4:36:35 AM

tom_boy wrote:

If you get someone who can transport that battery pictured above to Kenya from China, give me a shout out. I will even buy you kahawa or other such drink to your liking.

DHL is a beautiful thing. No hassles whatsoever and they are at every port of loading in China and have branches in Kiinya.
tom_boy
#80 Posted : Monday, December 21, 2020 1:44:47 PM

amorphous wrote:
tom_boy wrote:

DHL is a beautiful thing. No hassles whatsoever and they are at every port of loading in China and have branches in Kiinya.

Shida yako ni theory mingi. Jaribu practicals ndio unielewe.