wazua Wed, Apr 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages123>»
100% solar powered maisonette possible?
MugundaMan
#1 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 9:49:49 AM

If Garissa Solar Power plant can produce a staggering 55MW from 200,000 solar panels surely one should be able to fit just a few solar panels on the roof to power the entire house (and perhaps a borehole) without the need for KPLC, ama?

All you solar tech gurus or those who have installed solar off the grid on their property, is this possible? If yes, how much would such a system cost (say for a 250sqm maisonette with heavy daily use)?

Thanks in advance Wazuans.
mawinder
#2 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 9:52:14 AM

MugundaMan wrote:

If Garissa Solar Power plant can produce a staggering 55MW from 200,000 solar panels surely one should be able to fit just a few solar panels on the roof to power the entire house (and perhaps a borehole) without the need for KPLC, ama?

All you solar tech gurus or those who have installed solar off the grid on their property, is this possible? If yes, how much would such a system cost (say for a 250sqm maisonette with heavy daily use)?

Also ask them the cost of replacement of batteries and after how many years are they replaced.
kayhara
#3 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 10:32:17 AM

mawinder wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

Also ask them the cost of replacement of batteries and after how many years are they replaced.

The good thing about solar is you can start small you don't have to splash cash, but start out with a good inverter go for overkill get 10,000 watt if there is any, then get the 24 volt sealed batteries with our Kenyan weather you can expect 15 years of acceptable service, then a good charge controller of say 60 amps, do the normal AC wiring for your house but for the solar panels to batteries and batteries to inverter go for overkill the thickest you can afford. for starts you can power all your lights, tv, radio and fridge fullly with a 150k system, shirtlif have those submersible solar DC pumps, you can do a separate system for the pumps,
harder to power by solar are
cookers
air-conditioners
washing machines and driers.
house heaters and irons.
check out this guy on youtube
To Each His Own
MugundaMan
#4 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 10:38:20 AM

kayhara wrote:

The good thing about solar is you can start small you don't have to splash cash, but start out with a good inverter go for overkill get 10,000 watt if there is any, then get the 24 volt sealed batteries with our Kenyan weather you can expect 15 years of acceptable service, then a good charge controller of say 60 amps, do the normal AC wiring for your house but for the solar panels to batteries and batteries to inverter go for overkill the thickest you can afford. for starts you can power all your lights, tv, radio and fridge fullly with a 150k system, shirtlif have those submersible solar DC pumps, you can do a separate system for the pumps,
harder to power by solar are
cookers
air-conditioners
washing machines and driers.
house heaters and irons.

Very useful information to get started with. Thank you brother!
KulaRaha
#5 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 12:03:15 PM

I have a friend in Australia whose whole house is solar powered and he sells back to the grid.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
MugundaMan
#6 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 1:37:19 PM

kayhara wrote:

Wawawawa this guy is a GENIUS. He has explained everything nywee mpaka nimeshika kabisa kabisa. Kumbe tis 100% possible. As he says, the only limiting factor is mulla. Asante tena.
MugundaMan
#7 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 1:39:23 PM

KulaRaha wrote:
I have a friend in Australia whose whole house is solar powered and he sells back to the grid.

Indeed this is 100% possible, in fact I am very encouraged. I want to install a system that will avoid Kenya power 100%. Those vultures keep increasing charges year after year. Kumbe with a one time investment in solar I can kiss them goodbye forever. Wazua kweli is worth its weight in gold. Asante sana all for the help.
Thitifini
#8 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 10:30:19 PM

I once did some calculations for a 310SQM house fully on solar. Average monthly use 300-400KWh. Costa came to appx 800-1.2m for full off-grid (guided by Mr. Google). Repayment period 13-15yrs.

Will try to recalculate again to post here for the gurus to critique.

Now, on the borehole, planning a 150m and a friend in that biz tells me that solar pumps don't work those depths in Nbi and environs due to I don't know what (sure enoung I've never seen a solar powerwd borehole except in lower&north eastern). Can't back that up with facts, you know how engineers talk "I tell you it will not work. Lakini nitakuwekea uki-insistSad"

60% Learning, 30% synthesizing, 10% Debating
hardwood
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 01, 2018 1:24:43 AM

Which is the best brand for a domestic solar water heater? There are so many brands in the market it's confusing.
kayhara
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 01, 2018 8:43:23 AM

hardwood wrote:
Which is the best brand for a domestic solar water heater? There are so many brands in the market it's confusing.

Not sure if chloride exide still sell heaters but they are the best, there are some funny Chinese brands which just warm the water and use power to bring it up to required temperature, unlike chrolide exide ones which are don't need to be connected to power.
Go for the ones with indirect heating ie, they heat a solution built into the heater which in turn heats the water, this reduces damage to your heater due to water scum buildup.
About the borehole solar pump, what you need is an electric pump but powered by solar with batteries and inverter, with a raised tank big enough, you can pump water during the day when the sun is up.
To Each His Own
MugundaMan
#11 Posted : Saturday, September 01, 2018 1:40:55 PM

Thitifini wrote:
I once did some calculations for a 310SQM house fully on solar. Average monthly use 300-400KWh. Costa came to appx 800-1.2m for full off-grid (guided by Mr. Google). Repayment period 13-15yrs.

Now, on the borehole, planning a 150m and a friend in that biz tells me that solar pumps don't work those depths in Nbi and environs due to I don't know what (sure enoung I've never seen a solar powerwd borehole except in lower&north eastern). Can't back that up with facts, you know how engineers talk "I tell you it will not work. Lakini nitakuwekea uki-insistSad"

That is quite a bit of usage bro, Kwani that house has a secret factory in the garage? I would however gladly invest that amount on a 100% off the grid solar system, especially if the land is in the middle of nowhere in the dustbowl. It pays for itself many times over in terms of convenience and returns from irrigation.
Chaka
#12 Posted : Saturday, September 01, 2018 3:43:03 PM

If dustbowl is windy like those sides of Kipeto in Kajiado,you can also intall some wind turbines so that you have a hybrid system,i,e you can still charge batteries at night..The solar panels and wind turbine would be connected to single hybrid controller connected to the batteries.
MugundaMan
#13 Posted : Saturday, September 01, 2018 8:21:26 PM

Chaka wrote:
If dustbowl is windy like those sides of Kipeto in Kajiado,you can also intall some wind turbines so that you have a hybrid system,i,e you can still charge batteries at night..The solar panels and wind turbine would be connected to single hybrid controller connected to the batteries.

Great tip. I think hybrid with wind would work great for Ngong. Whenever I am hapo and outdoors I always feel those wind gusts big time even from near the bottom of the valley! No wonder Kengen tapped into this precious resource there. I also see these mini windmill things on the roundabout after the "tunnel" into Kitengela which means Kitengela has wind potential. They are always spinning full speed. I wonder how much power they generate compared to solar.
mawinder
#14 Posted : Sunday, September 02, 2018 1:31:27 PM

Thitifini wrote:

I got a quote of Kshs 1.1m excluding bribes to connect my rural residence to KPLC..So in this case, the payback period is immediate and no monthly bills
Chaka
#15 Posted : Saturday, September 08, 2018 12:12:49 PM

I was at that roundabout yesterday and those things were spinning fullspeed but looks like the hybrid setup was vandalized..the solar panels as well as control panel all missing,a pithy..
MugundaMan wrote:
. I also see these mini windmill things on the roundabout after the "tunnel" into Kitengela which means Kitengela has wind potential. They are always spinning full speed. I wonder how much power they generate compared to solar.

Thitifini
#16 Posted : Saturday, September 08, 2018 10:02:47 PM

mawinder wrote:
Thitifini wrote:

I got a quote of Kshs 1.1m excluding bribes to connect my rural residence to KPLC..So in this case, the payback period is immediate and no monthly bills

1.1M? Go solar!

bird_man
#17 Posted : Sunday, September 09, 2018 9:03:20 AM

Thitifini wrote:

How much would you pay KPLC per month?If its say 5k,it would take you 18yrs to pay KPLC 1.1M.
Is solar really cheap in this case?
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
Chaka
#18 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 2:11:07 PM

I would look at it this way..If the solar installed at 1.1M can supply same capacity as the KPLC..then the 5k 'saved' would take 18 years for the solar to repay itself.Now if the lifetime of the solar is say 25 years,that would be 7 years of 'free' power..(the batteries would require replacing though when they loose efficiency).

bird_man wrote:

How much would you pay KPLC per month?If its say 5k,it would take you 18yrs to pay KPLC 1.1M.

kayhara
#19 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 5:01:57 PM

Chaka wrote:
I would look at it this way..If the solar installed at 1.1M can supply same capacity as the KPLC..then the 5k 'saved' would take 18 years for the solar to repay itself.Now if the lifetime of the solar is say 25 years,that would be 7 years of 'free' power..(the batteries would require replacing though when they loose efficiency).

bird_man wrote:

I see solar not as a cheaper option to Kenya power but a cheaper backup option compared to diesel generator, by the way a 1.1 million solar system can power a medium household fully including any baking or jacuzzi, the good thing with solar is that you can afford to waste power eg you can even boil car washing water during the day since your batteries are fully charged by midday.
Anther advantage is reliability solar in Kenya is reliable than KPLC so those blackouts will be less annoying.
For 1.1 M you can go for lithium ion batteries which are more power dense.
To Each His Own
Thitifini
#20 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 5:41:16 PM

kayhara wrote:
Chaka wrote:

bird_man wrote:

I see solar not as a cheaper option to Kenya power but a cheaper backup option compared to diesel generator, by the way a 1.1 million solar system can power a medium household fully including any baking or jacuzzi, the good thing with solar is that you can afford to waste power eg you can even boil car washing water during the day since your batteries are fully charged by midday.
Anther advantage is reliability solar in Kenya is reliable than KPLC so those blackouts will be less annoying.
For 1.1 M you can go for lithium ion batteries which are more power dense.

Very insightful. Had factored in all HH power needs including irrigaring the lawn and hot water heaters.

I think for around this sum solar is something to consider as main source with kplc as backup.

What I don't know is how the pannels would look on a roof top or in the garden. I find them not very appealing to the eye esp if one has to have very many pannels.