wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages«<2345>
Konza City - is it a good investment
sparkly
#61 Posted : Tuesday, September 04, 2018 7:28:51 AM

hardwood wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Nairobi & suburbs is overrated. There is so much virgin land in Kenya. Kujeni mashinani where life is great, fresh air, ambiance, cheap stuff, farming etc.

I think one can get a good deal mashinani. With devolution and universities spreading everywhere, i think one can buy some land and put housing for the county or university staff and students eg huko rongo, kebabii, kilifi, kabianga etc. Most of the small towns are deficient in good housing. You can get an acre or 2 at a good price and build a "residential estate" pole pole instead of buying some bush in kajiado hinterland.

Well said. Devolution is a game changer. Buying a big chunk in the outskirts of the counties is better than buying 1/8s in Nairobi.
Life is short. Live passionately.
MugundaMan
#62 Posted : Tuesday, September 04, 2018 9:11:23 AM

You simply cannot ignore a city (and it's suburbs) that produces 60-70% of the GDP of the Kenyan economy. There is a big reason why 1/8 in OR near Nairobi has ten times appreciation potential than an acre in Kitale, for example. But this is not to say Kitale is a bad investment.
sqft
#63 Posted : Tuesday, September 04, 2018 1:01:17 PM

I recently met a certain retired mzee (about 70yrs) who is doing quite well. He told me during his working days as a middle level employee, he took advantage of his sacco and bought quite a number of plots in kitengela, rongai etc in 1980/90s and they were quite cheap. Whenever the sacco bought and subdivided the land he would buy with the money being deducted from his salary in installments. At the time many of his colleagues thought the areas were beneath them, or the plots were too tiny, too far, remote etc and many opted to take sacco loans to buy shambas in the village.

He has developed some of the plots and given some to his kids. The guy lives well in one of the leafy suburbs in the city but said most of his former colleagues relocated to the village after retirement.

His point was that you can never go wrong investing in land within the city and suburbs when you are young since the city will continue growing exponentially. If possible use your sacco since they allocate you the plot then you pay pole pole. He is collecting about 1m in rent each month while his colleagues are struggling growing maize in the village. He says his investments can buy him land in the village if he wishes to move there but has never had such plans since he has lived in the city nearly all his life.
Proverbs 13:11 Dishonest money dwindles away, but whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.
wukan
#64 Posted : Tuesday, September 04, 2018 1:02:58 PM

Kate_Mbarire wrote:

Dear Wukan..Thank you for being a real estate genius!I have been following you silently in wazua and really appreciate your input.Ngara is a GREAT investment....where are these bedsitters...who is the developer so that I can explore investing?And lastly;what are your thoughts about the upcoming Edermann Chinese who are also breaking ground to build massive units in ngara?They are the same greatwall Chinese.

Kumbe there are so many silent followerssmile smile Google city view suites. On Edermann they were the first to pioneer high-rise residential in Pangani and they had bargain prices like 2.8m for 2 bd. They are now planning 8 blocks of 34 floors so I expect them to bring the units at lower price than the GoK/county affordable housing. That Ngara area will experience some robust real estate investment.
Angelica _ann
#65 Posted : Tuesday, September 04, 2018 2:02:17 PM

We must start seeing land as a factor of production and stop focusing on this 40 by 80 speculation plots crazy *curse word' that is the fixation of majority middle class in Nairobi. Now the rush is somewhere in Narok. We must appreciate we cannot all fit in Nairobi and start looking strategically mashinani where devolution is starting to work.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
wukan
#66 Posted : Tuesday, September 04, 2018 2:26:36 PM

sparkly wrote:
hardwood wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Nairobi & suburbs is overrated. There is so much virgin land in Kenya. Kujeni mashinani where life is great, fresh air, ambiance, cheap stuff, farming etc.

I think one can get a good deal mashinani. With devolution and universities spreading everywhere, i think one can buy some land and put housing for the county or university staff and students eg huko rongo, kebabii, kilifi, kabianga etc. Most of the small towns are deficient in good housing. You can get an acre or 2 at a good price and build a "residential estate" pole pole instead of buying some bush in kajiado hinterland.

Well said. Devolution is a game changer. Buying a big chunk in the outskirts of the counties is better than buying 1/8s in Nairobi.

Mashinani is full of village bumpkins they can bore you to despair, the days are uneventful, they tell the same old tales, purchasing power is low. Nairobi & suburbs is quite funky.

Unless you devolve the nairobi funkiness forget about the ambiance and fresh air. You talk to the mashinani governors most of them don't know how to replicate the nairobi funk. Most of the governors are usually hanging out in Nairobi most of the time.

MugundaMan
#67 Posted : Tuesday, September 04, 2018 2:37:13 PM

sqft wrote:
I recently met a certain retired mzee (about 70yrs) who is doing quite well. He told me during his working days as a middle level employee, he took advantage of his sacco and bought quite a number of plots in kitengela, rongai etc in 1980/90s and they were quite cheap. Whenever the sacco bought and subdivided the land he would buy with the money being deducted from his salary in installments. At the time many of his colleagues thought the areas were beneath them, or the plots were too tiny, too far, remote etc and many opted to take sacco loans to buy shambas in the village.

He has developed some of the plots and given some to his kids. The guy lives well in one of the leafy suburbs in the city but said most of his former colleagues relocated to the village after retirement.

His point was that you can never go wrong investing in land within the city and suburbs when you are young since the city will continue growing exponentially. If possible use your sacco since they allocate you the plot then you pay pole pole. He is collecting about 1m in rent each month while his colleagues are struggling growing maize in the village. He says his investments can buy him land in the village if he wishes to move there but has never had such plans since he has lived in the city nearly all his life.

Applause Applause Applause
Not a comma, apostrophe or full stop to add to this excellent post. At one point land on old Thika rd before the superhwy was considered not worth much. Look at it now. One of my biggest regrets is I underestimated the transformative impact that Thika Superhwy would bring while it was being built. Now I'm priced out of any land touching it!
sparkly
#68 Posted : Tuesday, September 04, 2018 2:37:14 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
We must start seeing land as a factor of production and stop focusing on this 40 by 80 speculation plots crazy *curse word' that is the fixation of majority middle class in Nairobi. Now the rush is somewhere in Narok. We must appreciate we cannot all fit in Nairobi and start looking strategically mashinani where devolution is starting to work.

Indeed. An example where people are quietly taking position is this town

https://www.google.com/a...-asAMP-k9dtfz/index.html
Life is short. Live passionately.
MugundaMan
#69 Posted : Tuesday, September 04, 2018 2:40:43 PM

wukan wrote:
sparkly wrote:
hardwood wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

Mashinani is full of village bumpkins they can bore you to despair, the days are uneventful, they tell the same old tales, purchasing power is low. Nairobi & suburbs is quite funky.

Unless you devolve the nairobi funkiness forget about the ambiance and fresh air. You talk to the mashinani governors most of them don't know how to replicate the nairobi funk. Most of the governors are usually hanging out in Nairobi most of the time.

Laughing out loudly
We may disagree on strategy and location around Nairobi but I will admit your reasons for opposing certain locations never fail to entertain Laughing out loudly
Kate_Mbarire
#70 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 10:45:30 PM

wukan wrote:
[quote=Kate_Mbarire]

Dear Wukan..Thank you for being a real estate genius!I have been following you silently in wazua and really appreciate your input.Ngara is a GREAT investment....where are these bedsitters...who is the developer so that I can explore investing?And lastly;what are your thoughts about the upcoming Edermann Chinese who are also breaking ground to build massive units in ngara?They are the same greatwall Chinese.

Kumbe there are so many silent followerssmile smile Google city view suites. On Edermann they were the first to pioneer high-rise residential in Pangani and they had bargain prices like 2.8m for 2 bd. They are now planning 8 blocks of 34 floors so I expect them to bring the units at lower price than the GoK/county affordable housing. That Ngara area will experience some robust real estate investment.
Hi Wukan.Thanks again for the reference.I called city view suites and the plans and the location for the ngara bedsitters is good.

However they're not disclosing who the developer is,it also seems that this is the first project for the developer....what do you think?Would you still trust such a development which it seems like this is the first development for this developer...and considering these are off plan houses?]
wukan
#71 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 11:52:17 AM

Kate_Mbarire wrote:
wukan wrote:
[quote=Kate_Mbarire]

Hi Wukan.Thanks again for the reference.I called city view suites and the plans and the location for the ngara bedsitters is good.

However they're not disclosing who the developer is,it also seems that this is the first project for the developer....what do you think?Would you still trust such a development which it seems like this is the first development for this developer...and considering these are off plan houses?]

Normally get these things in my inbox. It doesn't have such a commanding view of the city but looks complete
Quote:
A worthwhile investment, West Suites is Nairobi’s answer to the affordable living concept in the heart of Nairobi West. The project has 168 modern, self contained studio apartments on 13 floors.

link

Angelica _ann
#72 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 12:16:19 PM

Nice investment but in a squeezed area yawa!!!! Pale nyuma Ciderwood (formerly Zinos)!!!!! Ok!!!

let me enjoy life in the county setup.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
wukan
#73 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 12:43:58 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Nice investment but in a squeezed area yawa!!!! Pale nyuma Ciderwood (formerly Zinos)!!!!! Ok!!!

At the rate people are giving birth in this town, we just have to squeeze them in the sky. We can't afford to ruin the country side. They will be no food to feed all the mouths if we convert every place to real estate.

I was totally shocked when I took a drive to Kikuyu, thogoto, gikambura, limuru. it was all bungalows, maisonettes, some flats. Horrible!!! what is happening to farming land
maka
#74 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 12:55:04 PM

wukan wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

At the rate people are giving birth in this town, we just have to squeeze them in the sky. We can't afford to ruin the country side. They will be no food to feed all the mouths if we convert every place to real estate.

I was totally shocked when I took a drive to Kikuyu, thogoto, gikambura, limuru. it was all bungalows, maisonettes, some flats. Horrible!!! what is happening to farming land

But we still have a loooooootttttt of land outside Nairobi... Watu wahame tumejazana huku ka MA kondoo...
possunt quia posse videntur
wukan
#75 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 1:37:46 PM

maka wrote:
wukan wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

But we still have a loooooootttttt of land outside Nairobi... Watu wahame tumejazana huku ka MA kondoo...

Looooooots of land in the British countryside but watu wamejazwa kama kondoo in the cities. Remember the whole of kenya can fit it into Tokyo
sereearth
#76 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 1:11:28 AM

With all the analysis, i'd agree with what many of you have said. Getting the right location is the Key to a superior investment, followed by involvement of right people who setup the project strategically. @Country Girl, allow me to give you some critical input, in regard to Konza City and surrounding area (such as Kisaju).

First: Follow the money
Approx KES 40 billion has been agreed to be financed by an Italian financial company for phase 1 of Konza city, and the construction has already commenced by an Italian contractor on 3rd August 2018. I am not sure how the recent rejection of the National Budget bill 2018/19 affects the Konza city. In short this is a boost to the project.

Second: Due diligence
sparkly mentioned something very important, that is:
Quote:
check the master plan of the area ... zoning and density restrictions, main infrastructure works, public utilities etc

There is no point of buying a land where land is located under the agricultural zone and then expecting to get a change of use to Commercial/residence! It will just not work out for you in terms of future productivity/price appreciation.

Third: Be careful of the hype
Konza may have distorted the local prices, so go somewhere close by, like the nearest town such as Isinya or Kisaju! It's in between Nairobi & Konza. As Hardwood wrote:
Quote:
Most of the small towns are deficient in good housing. You can get an acre or 2 at a good price and build a "residential estate"

I suggest buying a 1/8 or 1/4 plot in, for example Kisaju Town, provided it is under the right zoning for future productivity. The key word here is Town (Location Location Location!) This is because if you want to collect about 1m in rent each month after the next 15 years, try finding a potential economic hub now! In short, don't be completely dependent on Konza, it will move at it's own phase. This is best put by sqft who wrote:
Quote:
His point was that you can never go wrong investing in land within the city and suburbs when you are young since the city will continue growing exponentially

Fourth: Best use of the Land
There is nothing to add here because Angelica _ann explains it better:
Quote:
We must start seeing land as a factor of production and stop focusing on this 40 by 80 speculation plots crazy *curse word' that is the fixation of majority middle class in Nairobi.

Get a 50x100 plot, but you must think beyond speculation. For example can you build a 4 storey building on it immediately if you wished (of course you would build it 8 years to come). Moreover, Kate_Mbarire mentioned
Quote:
West Suites is Nairobi’s answer to the affordable living concept in the heart of Nairobi West. The project has 168 modern, self contained studio apartments on 13 floors.
I would agree to her to a certain extant, but these homes of about the 250sqft or 25sqm is just not what a growing family wants!! A growing family will need a much bigger spaces and at the same time affordable and near an economic activity. So, in this case Konza sounds nice, but not reliable until things speed up exponentially, thus making places such as Kisaju/Isinya (Nearest growing towns near Konza) appropriate.

SOLUTION & Existing Projects @Country Girl:

For example Sere park is an entertainment zone with mix residence for middle class income owners/families and a great spot for premium & affordable apartments for professionals looking to buy their first property. The location details of the project are:
· Project site is on Tarmac of Namanga Road, in Kisaju town. Kisaju is 15Km ahead of Kintengela Town.
· Approx. 27Km to Konza City.
· Approx. 20Km Proximity to new proposed Nairobi-Mombasa Express highway in Dec 2018.
· Approx. 5km Proximity to new Isinya - Ngong road (This road helps in Avoiding Mombasa road traffic during peak hours in the future).
· Approx. 35km from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport.
· Approx. 50Km from Nairobi CBD.
· Less congestion and affordable land prices relatively compared to Nairobi CBD.
· Proposed cities coming up nearby in a 55Km radius includes; Konza Technology City in 5000 acres, Green Isinya city in 1000 acres & Newtown city in 1000 acres.
· With 3 Universities nearby, including RAF International University, KAG university Kenya & The East African University

And here is sere park's official facebook group for latest updates. They are still on the planning phase and require some feedback from the public: https://www.facebook.com/groups/484313738656031/

Most importantly @Country Girl, if you are looking to buy a small plot i.e. like 50x100ft in a controlled estate in a strategic location, with the purpose to build in the future, near sere park in Kisaju town, you can email their team on sereparkkenya@gmail.com for more info
MugundaMan
#77 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2018 8:24:37 AM

sereearth wrote:
With all the analysis, i'd agree with what many of you have said. Getting the right location is the Key to a superior investment, followed by involvement of right people who setup the project strategically. @Country Girl, allow me to give you some critical input, in regard to Konza City and surrounding area (such as Kisaju).

First: Follow the money
Approx KES 40 billion has been agreed to be financed by an Italian financial company for phase 1 of Konza city, and the construction has already commenced by an Italian contractor on 3rd August 2018. I am not sure how the recent rejection of the National Budget bill 2018/19 affects the Konza city. In short this is a boost to the project.

Second: Due diligence
sparkly mentioned something very important, that is:
Quote:
check the master plan of the area ... zoning and density restrictions, main infrastructure works, public utilities etc

There is no point of buying a land where land is located under the agricultural zone and then expecting to get a change of use to Commercial/residence! It will just not work out for you in terms of future productivity/price appreciation.

Third: Be careful of the hype
Konza may have distorted the local prices, so go somewhere close by, like the nearest town such as Isinya or Kisaju! It's in between Nairobi & Konza. As Hardwood wrote:
Quote:
Most of the small towns are deficient in good housing. You can get an acre or 2 at a good price and build a "residential estate"

I suggest buying a 1/8 or 1/4 plot in, for example Kisaju Town, provided it is under the right zoning for future productivity. The key word here is Town (Location Location Location!) This is because if you want to collect about 1m in rent each month after the next 15 years, try finding a potential economic hub now! In short, don't be completely dependent on Konza, it will move at it's own phase. This is best put by sqft who wrote:
Quote:
His point was that you can never go wrong investing in land within the city and suburbs when you are young since the city will continue growing exponentially

Fourth: Best use of the Land
There is nothing to add here because Angelica _ann explains it better:
Quote:
We must start seeing land as a factor of production and stop focusing on this 40 by 80 speculation plots crazy *curse word' that is the fixation of majority middle class in Nairobi.

Get a 50x100 plot, but you must think beyond speculation. For example can you build a 4 storey building on it immediately if you wished (of course you would build it 8 years to come). Moreover, Kate_Mbarire mentioned
Quote:
West Suites is Nairobi’s answer to the affordable living concept in the heart of Nairobi West. The project has 168 modern, self contained studio apartments on 13 floors.
I would agree to her to a certain extant, but these homes of about the 250sqft or 25sqm is just not what a growing family wants!! A growing family will need a much bigger spaces and at the same time affordable and near an economic activity. So, in this case Konza sounds nice, but not reliable until things speed up exponentially, thus making places such as Kisaju/Isinya (Nearest growing towns near Konza) appropriate.

SOLUTION & Existing Projects @Country Girl:

For example Sere park is an entertainment zone with mix residence for middle class income owners/families and a great spot for premium & affordable apartments for professionals looking to buy their first property. The location details of the project are:
· Project site is on Tarmac of Namanga Road, in Kisaju town. Kisaju is 15Km ahead of Kintengela Town.
· Approx. 27Km to Konza City.
· Approx. 20Km Proximity to new proposed Nairobi-Mombasa Express highway in Dec 2018.
· Approx. 5km Proximity to new Isinya - Ngong road (This road helps in Avoiding Mombasa road traffic during peak hours in the future).
· Approx. 35km from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport.
· Approx. 50Km from Nairobi CBD.
· Less congestion and affordable land prices relatively compared to Nairobi CBD.
· Proposed cities coming up nearby in a 55Km radius includes; Konza Technology City in 5000 acres, Green Isinya city in 1000 acres & Newtown city in 1000 acres.
· With 3 Universities nearby, including RAF International University, KAG university Kenya & The East African University

And here is sere park's official facebook group for latest updates. They are still on the planning phase and require some feedback from the public: https://www.facebook.com/groups/484313738656031/

Most importantly @Country Girl, if you are looking to buy a small plot i.e. like 50x100ft in a controlled estate in a strategic location, with the purpose to build in the future, near sere park in Kisaju town, you can email their team on sereparkkenya@gmail.com for more info

hehehe all roads lead to marketing serepark I see. But that is your right. I disagree with you on investing in urban areas only. That is a huge fallacy. Kisaju shopping centre and Isinya town are not exactly anything to write home about and if the poor planning continues they will mushroom into eyesore towns that will soon have massive slums (like the ones I am seeing mushrooming on the outskirts of Isinya town on the road towards Konza. At least in the hinterlands it is mostly controlled residential estates and farms, unspoiled with almost zero chance of slums developing around them (for now)
hardwood
#78 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2018 4:28:12 PM

sparkly wrote:
Swenani wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Konza is becoming reality soon

This one died a long time ago

1. One thing I have learnt about government projects... The move slowly but surely. If GOK says it will build a pipeline, be sure it will.

2. One thing I have learnt about projects generally... Infrastructure follows the people, not the other way around. GOK will not build a road, connect power, water and wifi to a remote place to encourage settlement. However, if you build your settlement in a remote place, GOK will build a road, connect power, water and wifi to your remote Kibanda. Same thing with Konza. Once investors who are allocated parcels start constructing, Project will move at un-imaginable speed.

3. A good example is upperhill. 15 years ago, upperhill was just KASNEB, Rahimtulla and a few residential buildings (some converted into restaurants) with just one street through to KNG. Right now Upperhill is a highrise city within a city with an excellent road power and water network.

expound on what excellent is? Upperhill is f***ed up. How can you spend more than 2 hrs to exit upperhill?

Roads are good, traffic is bad.

Coca Cola, EU mission abandon Upperhill. What's the future of upperhill as the choice office location?

https://www.businessdail...38246-htvv7r/index.html

https://www.nation.co.ke...0324-c196u9z/index.html

wukan
#79 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2018 11:52:54 AM

hardwood wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Swenani wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

1. One thing I have learnt about government projects... The move slowly but surely. If GOK says it will build a pipeline, be sure it will.

2. One thing I have learnt about projects generally... Infrastructure follows the people, not the other way around. GOK will not build a road, connect power, water and wifi to a remote place to encourage settlement. However, if you build your settlement in a remote place, GOK will build a road, connect power, water and wifi to your remote Kibanda. Same thing with Konza. Once investors who are allocated parcels start constructing, Project will move at un-imaginable speed.

3. A good example is upperhill. 15 years ago, upperhill was just KASNEB, Rahimtulla and a few residential buildings (some converted into restaurants) with just one street through to KNG. Right now Upperhill is a highrise city within a city with an excellent road power and water network.

expound on what excellent is? Upperhill is f***ed up. How can you spend more than 2 hrs to exit upperhill?

Coca Cola, EU mission abandon Upperhill. What's the future of upperhill as the choice office location?

The way workers rush out of upperhill to CBD from 5-7pm should tell you it's not an ideal office location. The place has zero funk. Weekends it resembles a ghost town.
Ericsson
#80 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2018 12:15:24 PM

wukan wrote:
hardwood wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Swenani wrote:
sparkly wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

The way workers rush out of upperhill to CBD from 5-7pm should tell you it's not an ideal office location. The place has zero funk. Weekends it resembles a ghost town.

Upper hill is an extension of CBD and is ideal for government offices and companies that deal directly with members of the public
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle