HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
FRM2011
#43 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2018 8:45:30 PM

tycho wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Funding to come from the salaried ....

https://www.standardmedi...und-uhuru-s-housing-bid

Oh no! Not from @FRM again!

@tycho, this is music to my ears. I left employment 2 years ago. Let the middle class shafting continue. Next time they might remember to carry their brains to the polling station.
simonkabz
#44 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 12:47:36 PM

murchr wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
The first thing the government should do, is to set infrastructure for both light rail and inter city/ town rail system. If an area is suffering from constant traffic jams, you dont just expand roads. Expanded road system has never solved any traffic snarl-ups, however, an improved railway system goes a long way in improving smooth transport operations.
As from october, i will be working 150 kilometeres away from home, however, it will only take me 55 minutes from my door to the office.
I wonder what our engineers learn in those universities of ours

Nothing! They only go to get papers. You cannot talk of mass housing projects without a proper road n rail network. And matatus will not be the answer either. No more new road is needed in Nairobi. They just need a light rail connecting the metropolis mks-athiriver-kajiado-limuru

Siku hizi unanishtua sana. Been to India? The traffic is heavy but bearable in most cities courtesy of inter-connectivity in the cities (feeder roads). All the vichorochoro roads are done, like every 50 or 100 metres. Ever used Juja rd? Traffic messes up and there's nowhere to run, because the feeder roads are virtually nonexistent.

Nairobi needs hundreds of feeder roads boss. Lets not be carried away by the new highways, where you get stuck with no recourse....highways without feeder roads will obviously lead to clogging and terrible snarl-ups.
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
simonkabz
#45 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 1:14:04 PM

murchr wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
murchr wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
The first thing the government should do, is to set infrastructure for both light rail and inter city/ town rail system. If an area is suffering from constant traffic jams, you dont just expand roads. Expanded road system has never solved any traffic snarl-ups, however, an improved railway system goes a long way in improving smooth transport operations.
As from october, i will be working 150 kilometeres away from home, however, it will only take me 55 minutes from my door to the office.

Nothing! They only go to get papers. You cannot talk of mass housing projects without a proper road n rail network. And matatus will not be the answer either. No more new road is needed in Nairobi. They just need a light rail connecting the metropolis mks-athiriver-kajiado-limuru

The best thing that could happen to nairobi is the phasing out of matatus and they be replaced with a reliable transport system. A reliable transport system will subsidise ticket fares for students, the old and for those with disability. This is what happens in serious countries

A tram running from through Outer ring road - Jogoo rd - Haile sellasie - community all the way to ngong would take away 50% of all matatus in Kenya

There's urgent need for the light rail system.......but who told the people of Nairobi (clueless middle-class) and most if not all Govt policy makers that Matatus are the problem?

Here's what I know on matters transport in the city:
40% - Matatus
40% - Walking
5% or less - Train
5% or less - Boda boda
10% - PERSONAL fkcin CARS.

Only 10% of the travelers clog the roads all day long. Matatus are not, have never been, and will never be the problem, even 14 seaters. What lacks is oversight on the matatu crews. We have no body mandated to ruthlessly keep these crazies in check (we killed NTSA, but in any case, NTSA was also clueless, and cannibalized itself by targeting private motorists). Forget about the Kiganjo alumni.

If I were Unye, I'd get NTSA back on the roads, with strict instructions of streamlining public & commercial transport, by way of focusing on the crews and not punishing vehicle owners.....starting with Nairobi. Very doable, and sustainable.

Over time I have consolidated, in my mind, what I think are very practical and rather obvious solutions. In a nutshell:

1. Light rail or tram system covering all the densely populated estates and wherever most cars crawl from.

2. A body over-sighting matatu crews to very strict standards. State owned buses is just another loss making and thieving scam waiting to happen.

3. Feeder roads interconnecting major roads and estates.

4. Endeavour to totally eliminate DUST and MUD on the estate roads, which will encourage WALKING (to work or to the nearest Matatu terminus). Mtu akitoka kwa nyumba apana kanyanga matope na vumbi, otherwise itabidi atoke na gari.

5. Massive investment in sidewalks. We have been doing them as a by-the-way, to very low standards, and they barely last 2 years.
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
murchr
#46 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 1:53:20 PM

simonkabz wrote:
murchr wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
murchr wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

The best thing that could happen to nairobi is the phasing out of matatus and they be replaced with a reliable transport system. A reliable transport system will subsidise ticket fares for students, the old and for those with disability. This is what happens in serious countries

A tram running from through Outer ring road - Jogoo rd - Haile sellasie - community all the way to ngong would take away 50% of all matatus in Kenya

There's urgent need for the light rail system.......but who told the people of Nairobi (clueless middle-class) and most if not all Govt policy makers that Matatus are the problem?

40% - Matatus
40% - Walking
5% or less - Train
5% or less - Boda boda

Only 10% of the travelers clog the roads all day long. Matatus are not, have never been, and will never be the problem, even 14 seaters. What lacks is oversight on the matatu crews. We have no body mandated to ruthlessly keep these crazies in check (we killed NTSA, but in any case, NTSA was also clueless, and cannibalized itself by targeting private motorists). Forget about the Kiganjo alumni.

If I were Unye, I'd get NTSA back on the roads, with strict instructions of streamlining public & commercial transport, by way of focusing on the crews and not punishing vehicle owners.....starting with Nairobi. Very doable, and sustainable.

Over time I have consolidated, in my mind, what I think are very practical and rather obvious solutions. In a nutshell:

1. Light rail or tram system covering all the densely populated estates and wherever most cars crawl from.

2. A body over-sighting matatu crews to very strict standards. State owned buses is just another loss making and thieving scam waiting to happen.

4. Endeavour to totally eliminate DUST and MUD on the estate roads, which will encourage WALKING (to work or to the nearest Matatu terminus). Mtu akitoka kwa nyumba apana kanyanga matope na vumbi, otherwise itabidi atoke na gari.

5. Massive investment in sidewalks. We have been doing them as a by-the-way, to very low standards, and they barely last 2 years.

Why would you need to create an NTSA to regulate matatus if matatus are not the problem? Alas! NTSA should regulate and ensure driver safety not an industry.

I also notice that myopic thinking that if trams are introduced then those being punished are the owners d'oh! can't those owners be tram owners too?

I will come back to dismantle this composition of a post let me handle serious business first.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
murchr
#47 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 5:38:10 PM

simonkabz wrote:
murchr wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

Siku hizi unanishtua sana. Been to India? The traffic is heavy but bearable in most cities courtesy of inter-connectivity in the cities (feeder roads). All the vichorochoro roads are done, like every 50 or 100 metres. Ever used Juja rd? Traffic messes up and there's nowhere to run, because the feeder roads are virtually nonexistent.

Nairobi needs hundreds of feeder roads boss. Lets not be carried away by the new highways, where you get stuck with no recourse....highways without feeder roads will obviously lead to clogging and terrible snarl-ups.

No I have not been to India, the closest I have come to India is through movies or documentaries which ofcourse highlight a perennial traffic problem.

So my other source can only be google and a simple search "india traffic" gives me a dozen articles of the traffic menace in the various cities. There happens to be a survey done by numbeo.com which ranks Kolkata (former Calcutta) as the worst city in traffic followed closely by you guessed it......Nairobi, Mumbai, also in India, is ranked third (we keep good company). So even without being to India, I can almost tell that traffic is horrendous maybe worse than what I have experienced in Nairobi and its nothing to talk about. And if India is what you look upto, your standards are low yawa....very low.

Now on "feeder roads" the name speaks for its self- a road that feeds traffic to the main highway. Kiambu road is a feeder road since it feeds traffic to A2 aka Thika Road, Kasarani-Mwiki Rd, Outer-ring road also feed into Thika Rd. Perhaps you meant link road eg the Waiyaki way-Red hill Link road, that helps but cannot take away much. Now I don't even know where those 100 feeder roads will be feeding into. Nairobi has 2 major highways A104 and A2, so more roads feeding into Thika will just make your Juja road experience even worse.

The reality of the matter is, anyone travelling in those matatus wants to get to town and move on to the next mat to his next destination. The biggest blunder that Kenyatta one did was to privatize the public transport system without streamlining it to conform with the set standards (OTC standards)

Nairobians are walkers, i've been in cities with walkways where less than 10 people walk, and anyway, walking should be for leisure. Not compulsory or mandated. Our walkways are now spots where hawkers are laying their wares. Try cycling and see if you will not be knocked down by a matatu. So lets stop cheating ourselves, matatus, tuktuks, bodas will not save this city. This city is congested and a Mass transport system is the solution. And even if you work in Nairobi, you should be able to live in Nyeri or Nakuru and make it in Nairobi in time.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Impunity
#48 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 9:24:30 AM

Who qualified for tax exemption as a "first time owner"?
How does one go abourit?
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

hardwood
#49 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 10:02:27 AM

simonkabz wrote:
40% - Matatus
40% - Walking
5% or less - Train
5% or less - Boda boda

Only 10% of the travelers clog the roads all day long. Matatus are not, have never been, and will never be the problem, even 14 seaters.

You are right. The only way to solve the transport problem in the city is to get rid of personal cars. One personal car occupies the same road space as a matatu but ferries only one person. The 14 seater matatu is 14 times more efficient in city transport than personal cars. Therefore we need more matatus and fewer personal cars on the road. Maybe sonko should increase parking charges to 1000 and introduce toll charges for personal cars on all roads.

hardwood
#50 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 10:05:14 AM

obiero wrote:
tycho wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

Damn

Punda amechoka.
Angelica _ann
#51 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 10:24:25 AM

hardwood wrote:
obiero wrote:
tycho wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

Damn

Punda amechoka.

While at it, the NSSF Act 2013 on Pension contribution at 6% on gross salary with tier 1 & tier 2 contributions is still waiting in the wings.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
simonkabz
#52 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 12:22:05 PM

hardwood wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
40% - Matatus
40% - Walking
5% or less - Train
5% or less - Boda boda

Only 10% of the travelers clog the roads all day long. Matatus are not, have never been, and will never be the problem, even 14 seaters.

You are right. The only way to solve the transport problem in the city is to get rid of personal cars. One personal car occupies the same road space as a matatu but ferries only one person. The 14 seater matatu is 14 times more efficient in city transport than personal cars. Therefore we need more matatus and fewer personal cars on the road. Maybe sonko should increase parking charges to 1000 and introduce toll charges for personal cars on all roads.

Ahsante hardwood. That is the reality and nothing more.
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
simonkabz
#53 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 12:33:47 PM

murchr wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
murchr wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

No I have not been to India, the closest I have come to India is through movies or documentaries which ofcourse highlight a perennial traffic problem.

So my other source can only be google and a simple search "india traffic" gives me a dozen articles of the traffic menace in the various cities. There happens to be a survey done by numbeo.com which ranks Kolkata (former Calcutta) as the worst city in traffic followed closely by you guessed it......Nairobi, Mumbai, also in India, is ranked third (we keep good company). So even without being to India, I can almost tell that traffic is horrendous maybe worse than what I have experienced in Nairobi and its nothing to talk about. And if India is what you look upto, your standards are low yawa....very low.

Now on "feeder roads" the name speaks for its self- a road that feeds traffic to the main highway. Kiambu road is a feeder road since it feeds traffic to A2 aka Thika Road, Kasarani-Mwiki Rd, Outer-ring road also feed into Thika Rd. Perhaps you meant link road eg the Waiyaki way-Red hill Link road, that helps but cannot take away much. Now I don't even know where those 100 feeder roads will be feeding into. Nairobi has 2 major highways A104 and A2, so more roads feeding into Thika will just make your Juja road experience even worse.

The reality of the matter is, anyone travelling in those matatus wants to get to town and move on to the next mat to his next destination. The biggest blunder that Kenyatta one did was to privatize the public transport system without streamlining it to conform with the set standards (OTC standards)

Nairobians are walkers, i've been in cities with walkways where less than 10 people walk, and anyway, walking should be for leisure. Not compulsory or mandated. Our walkways are now spots where hawkers are laying their wares. Try cycling and see if you will not be knocked down by a matatu. So lets stop cheating ourselves, matatus, tuktuks, bodas will not save this city. This city is congested and a Mass transport system is the solution. And even if you work in Nairobi, you should be able to live in Nyeri or Nakuru and make it in Nairobi in time.

All you've typed is total nonsense, and i hope this is not the crap you feed the PORK.

Oooh We dont need sidewalks, we dont need matatus, we dont need feeder roads.....kwani wewe ni wasimu ya wapi?

Of all the countries I've been to, na nimetembeatembea, India had the heaviest traffic; heavy in terms of the sheer number of vehicles, motor bikes and tuk tuks on their roads. But the traffic moved, mainly because of the dense network of roads, interchanges etc.

If the Mumbai or Hyderabad traffic volumes land in Nairobi with its poor feeder road network, we will have a gridlock lasting 6 months!

You must be out of your mind to even think Nairobi needs no more roads. Punguza arrogance, kisha upunguze ujinga.
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
Angelica _ann
#54 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 12:36:48 PM

simonkabz wrote:
hardwood wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
40% - Matatus
40% - Walking
5% or less - Train
5% or less - Boda boda

However before levying such heavy penalties, the same Sonko must ensure that public transport is efficient, moderately comfortable and properly networked for the masses to use the services. They should develop and implement an effective public service transport system.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
simonkabz
#55 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 12:41:23 PM

murchr wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
murchr wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
murchr wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

40% - Matatus
40% - Walking
5% or less - Train
5% or less - Boda boda

Why would you need to create an NTSA to regulate matatus if matatus are not the problem? Alas! NTSA should regulate and ensure driver safety not an industry.

I also notice that myopic thinking that if trams are introduced then those being punished are the owners d'oh! can't those owners be tram owners too?

I will come back to dismantle this composition of a post let me handle serious business first.

See!

Nini hizi???

Do you carry a brick on top of your neck?Sad Sad Sad
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
Angelica _ann
#56 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 12:50:20 PM

@simonkabz no need for such language in debating preese!!!!
simonkabz
#57 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 12:57:03 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
hardwood wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
40% - Matatus
40% - Walking
5% or less - Train
5% or less - Boda boda

However before levying such heavy penalties, the same Sonko must ensure that public transport is efficient, moderately conformable and properly networked for the masses use the services. They should develop and implement an effective public service transport system.

Agreed 80%. 1000 is too high, maybe 500 bob. But either way, the private motorist must be discouraged because they are the sole cause of clogged roads in all cities, not matatus or any other form of shared commuter system. And I do believe, an efficient public transport system will not come without at least these points, and more......

1. Light rail, tram system or other mass transport covering all the densely populated estates and wherever most cars crawl from.

2. A body over-sighting matatu crews to very strict standards. State owned buses is just another loss making and thieving scam waiting to happen. Matatus don't necessarily cause traffic jam, by virtue of the number of pax they carry, but have been a nuisance courtesy of the idiots behind the wheel.

3. Feeder roads interconnecting major roads and estates. As it is now, Nairobians are tunneled onto major roads with limited or no exits, no interconnections and links to estates and other major corridors. You may find a single ka-road leading into a densely populated estate.....meaning you have to stay put on the clogged highway until you get to that one (dirt) road, na huna otherwise.

Except no 2, the rest is exactly what happened in the developed cities.
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
simonkabz
#58 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 1:01:31 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
@simonkabz no need for such language in debating preese!!!!

Indeed. Agreed 100%. However, we have a French saying that goes, mugui wa utuku ucokagirio haria wokira.

TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
murchr
#59 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 1:32:02 PM

simonkabz wrote:
murchr wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
murchr wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
murchr wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

40% - Matatus
40% - Walking
5% or less - Train
5% or less - Boda boda

See!

Nini hizi???

Do you carry a brick on top of your neck?Sad Sad Sad

Enda usome hizo sentensi zako pole pole starting with if I were uhunye. Utanielewa
murchr
#60 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 1:34:29 PM

simonkabz wrote:
murchr wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
murchr wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:

All you've typed is total nonsense, and i hope this is not the crap you feed the PORK.

Oooh We dont need sidewalks, we dont need matatus, we dont need feeder roads.....kwani wewe ni wasimu ya wapi?

Of all the countries I've been to, na nimetembeatembea, India had the heaviest traffic; heavy in terms of the sheer number of vehicles, motor bikes and tuk tuks on their roads. But the traffic moved, mainly because of the dense network of roads, interchanges etc.

If the Mumbai or Hyderabad traffic volumes land in Nairobi with its poor feeder road network, we will have a gridlock lasting 6 months!

You must be out of your mind to even think Nairobi needs no more roads. Punguza arrogance, kisha upunguze ujinga.

I thank God av never been to India my standards would be so low.