wazua Sun, Apr 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages<1234>
Can our Kenyan fundis build something like this?
tycho
#21 Posted : Friday, August 17, 2018 2:09:52 PM

Iganamagana
#22 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2018 7:53:38 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
Swenani wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:

You are comparing a completed house to one that is still under construction

Now fair.

I think I know your style (below) kindogo kindogo kiasi kiasi. Sindio?

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Is that a storey toilet?

Nope. Cutting edge architecture that someone probably paid 10 metre+ for smile

This might be an office block for an open air yard. Think logistics firm or a distribution centre. No sign of life though if we were to go by the driveway.
hardwood
#23 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2018 8:39:03 PM

Iganamagana wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Swenani wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:

Now fair.

Is that a storey toilet?

This might be an office block for an open air yard. Think logistics firm or a distribution centre. No sign of life though if we were to go by the driveway.

Could be the left wing block of apartments he's putting up pole pole.
MugundaMan
#24 Posted : Saturday, August 18, 2018 9:17:13 PM

Iganamagana wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
Swenani wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:

Now fair.

Is that a storey toilet?

Nope, tis a completed and occupied maisonette. Mr Dickson paid 5 metre to build it. 4br/2 ensuite. Evidence hapa
MugundaMan
#25 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2018 5:11:50 AM

Obiero and chiaroscuro, what do you guys think about this one? Drool

hardwood
#26 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2018 9:31:47 AM

MugundaMan wrote:

Our architects must be very "creative". Whatever they are smoking....smile .
wukan
#27 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2018 10:46:20 AM

The environment we create is a reflection of our state of mind. Our architecture reveals our society's love for clutter. We clutter homes, roads, markets. We have a problem with free-flowing space sijui ni kwa nini. I passed by Holy Family Basilica in CBD and the space is now cluttered with funny buildings, car-parks-the holiness is just gone.
hardwood
#28 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2018 1:16:57 PM

wukan wrote:
The environment we create is a reflection of our state of mind. Our architecture reveals our society's love for clutter. We clutter homes, roads, markets. We have a problem with free-flowing space sijui ni kwa nini. I passed by Holy Family Basilica in CBD and the space is now cluttered with funny buildings, car-parks-the holiness is just gone.

It's more of love for chaos. I don't know what happened coz when the white man arrived in kenya in the late 1800s he found very well planned homesteads and villages. The architecture was also excellent, functional and uniform. Like this kikuyu village. And the good thing is that a house was built in one day and people moved on to other things unlike now when one has to be tied to a 20yr killer mortgage. Housing used to be a simple straight forward affair and no one lacked housing (or food) but mzungu complicated it so as to make money by supplying building materials and mortgage funds, until now many cannot afford homes because they were brainwashed and told their architecture is ushenzi.

hardwood
#29 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2018 1:42:24 PM

At least the South Africans werent as brainwashed as we were and they maintained their architecture but modernized their huts (brick walls, electricity, water etc). Like this President Zuma homestead (with his wives) in the village. He even has a cattle pen in the centre of the homestead, like his forefathers.

https://www.thesouthafri...-of-corruption-nkandla/

Inside some of the huts....

wukan
#30 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2018 2:03:22 PM

Lovely the way those huts blend into the landscape-there is a sense of harmony. The mzungu killed those huts with the hut tax-they calculated taxes based on the number of huts in the compound.
kayhara
#31 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2018 2:24:47 PM

See how the doors are not facing each other? the Nairobi houses your window and door directly faces your neighbours, even landing cannot be done peacefully, don't even think of now telling your wife that you shall have a separate man cave and she is only allowed on invite only, even having a separate bed in the same room is a problem.
about complexity, I gave a client a very simple practical roof for his mansion at kahawa and he insisted he should have those fancy Kahawa roofs, he then kicked my recommended contractor and stole the fundi to work for him directly, he had a very stressful time during the last rains, same goes with the colours you see some colours and wonder dude a yellow roof? ugly colored cabros, mirror window glass?
What is it about kenyans and sunken lounges? I currently advice my clients to have flat level house throughout, even the bathroom is just 50mm, imagine kids running around a house with steps everywhere? when you get old or break a leg you will have a hard time getting around your sunken lounge.
I also suggest a lift an the looks I get... make a provision use the space as store, lifts are now cheap 1.5 m, n need of doing a nice master bedroom upstairs and sleep in the guest bedroom when old or injured.
To Each His Own
Chaka
#32 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2018 2:56:06 PM

Do these huts have toilets ama zuma has to dash outside?
hardwood wrote:
At least the South Africans werent as brainwashed as we were and they maintained their architecture but modernized their huts (brick walls, electricity, water etc). Like this President Zuma homestead (with his wives) in the village. He even has a cattle pen in the centre of the homestead, like his forefathers.

hardwood
#33 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2018 4:13:33 PM

Chaka wrote:
Do these huts have toilets ama zuma has to dash outside?
hardwood wrote:

Yes, complete with sauna and pool.

hardwood
#34 Posted : Tuesday, August 21, 2018 11:58:04 AM

Even mzungu used to live in huts (called roundhouses) not so long ago. Interesting that the hut architecture was universal.

https://stairnaheireann..../07/celtic-roundhouses/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wal...ts/factfile/homes.shtml

MugundaMan
#35 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 11:01:10 AM

hardwood wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

Our architects must be very "creative". Whatever they are smoking....smile .

Very strange structure IMHO.
It's like there's a contest in Nairobi to run away from simplicity and order among architects.
I have nothing against experimenting but some of these experiments go just too far.

MugundaMan
#36 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 11:04:22 AM

kayhara wrote:
See how the doors are not facing each other? the Nairobi houses your window and door directly faces your neighbours, even landing cannot be done peacefully, don't even think of now telling your wife that you shall have a separate man cave and she is only allowed on invite only, even having a separate bed in the same room is a problem.
about complexity, I gave a client a very simple practical roof for his mansion at kahawa and he insisted he should have those fancy Kahawa roofs, he then kicked my recommended contractor and stole the fundi to work for him directly, he had a very stressful time during the last rains, same goes with the colours you see some colours and wonder dude a yellow roof? ugly colored cabros, mirror window glass?
What is it about kenyans and sunken lounges? I currently advice my clients to have flat level house throughout, even the bathroom is just 50mm, imagine kids running around a house with steps everywhere? when you get old or break a leg you will have a hard time getting around your sunken lounge.
I also suggest a lift an the looks I get... make a provision use the space as store, lifts are now cheap 1.5 m, n need of doing a nice master bedroom upstairs and sleep in the guest bedroom when old or injured.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

MugundaMan
#37 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 11:07:06 AM

hardwood wrote:

Nice diggs!

hardwood
#38 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 11:18:24 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
kayhara wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

The reflective glass has become very common in residential homes and offices. It also shades incoming light. Does the glass filter out UV rays? I know for sunglasses they need to have UV blocking capacity so that they don't damage your eyes. If reflective residential window glass doesn't have that capacity, one could be damaging their eyes every time they look outside through the window glass.
kayhara
#39 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 12:25:26 PM

The issue is that they age so badly,they start looking whitish at the edges, for UV and light blocking you don't need to go reflective privacy also, I advice on bronze tinted glass, popular blue tint also makes the balding look cheap, there is UV and heat protective glass but it's stupidly expensive, most people opt to use film on normal glass

Bronze tint

To Each His Own
wukan
#40 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2018 1:10:38 PM

Quote:
The average size of a home loan advanced by Kenyan banks has risen by nearly Sh2 million in one year to hit Sh10.9 million, locking even more borrowers out of the housing market.

The Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) sector report released Tuesday says the mortgage increase was mainly driven by a rise in house prices last year.

The average value of a mortgage taken in the year to June 2017 stood at Sh9.1 million, indicating a 19.8 per cent increase in the period.

This puts the average monthly repayment for the Sh10.9 million loan at about Sh150,000, if the mortgage is taken at the current interest rate of 13 per cent.

https://www.businessdail...23420-hb7d7m/index.html

Our real estate is now 100,000 USD. Your kids will really have to work hard in future to afford rent.