wazua Tue, May 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Putting up spacious 2br apts on 1/8th acre question
wukan
#21 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 2:12:29 PM

kayhara wrote:
wukan wrote:
I pity the children who have to grow up in such an environment.

most apartments even expensive ones lack
1-enough parking spaces- ideally nowadays you need 1.5 parking spots per bedroom
2-No social spaces- is there an outside area you can just sit read a paper, chat with a neighbor comfortably?
3-Dedicated safe kids area-most Nairobi apartments and estates have roads as play areas with 5kmph children playing signs.
4-Teen friendly spaces (private)- where does your teen kid go when the wife has a chama meeting in the house? in Nairobi chances are
he will be in bad company since the only available play spaces are in schools or churches and are reluctant to allow teens in at any
time.
5-In Kenya if I find my friend sitting on the grass at the road side, i will be very concerned (is he mad) in other countries you find road side seats for resting and just picnics, in Nairobi tell me a place you can go sit on grass that is not uhuru park(people see it a low class park)
6-I see photos above of nice looking units but I see relatively small balconies, we don't value outside spaces ( a client asked me to put a window on all his balconies and open terraces.
7-If you wanted to do a barbecue in those units it's impossible or annoying to neighbours.

but as proceed clients will start asking for this amenities and will move to units that provide them.

That's what I don't get why do kenyans overpay for what is really holy cow awful real estate. There is a Danish friend who came to see to kenyan real estate. He said he can't buy "those are just bricks in the sky". I'm trying my part to educate wazuans to be more discerning buyers on real estate(they pay the highest prices in the continent for what is really junk). Thanks for joining.
hardwood
#22 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 2:27:10 PM

kayhara wrote:
wukan wrote:

1-enough parking spaces- ideally nowadays you need 1.5 parking spots per bedroom
2-No social spaces- is there an outside area you can just sit read a paper, chat with a neighbor comfortably?
3-Dedicated safe kids area-most Nairobi apartments and estates have roads as play areas with 5kmph children playing signs.
4-Teen friendly spaces (private)- where does your teen kid go when the wife has a chama meeting in the house? in Nairobi chances are
he will be in bad company since the only available play spaces are in schools or churches and are reluctant to allow teens in at any
time.
5-In Kenya if I find my friend sitting on the grass at the road side, i will be very concerned (is he mad) in other countries you find road side seats for resting and just picnics, in Nairobi tell me a place you can go sit on grass that is not uhuru park(people see it a low class park)
6-I see photos above of nice looking units but I see relatively small balconies, we don't value outside spaces ( a client asked me to put a window on all his balconies and open terraces.
7-If you wanted to do a barbecue in those units it's impossible or annoying to neighbours.

but as proceed clients will start asking for this amenities and will move to units that provide them.

I think apartments are only suitable for a certain age group, may be those under 40 or with young families. When your children get to high school i think it's time for one to get a proper house with an own compound, hata kama ni huko dustbowl. Then your teenagers can have space and privacy - after form 4 they can move from their mothers house and live huko in the servant quarters. Also in the kaploti they can sit hapo inje on the lawn and read a book or play football, table tennis or basket ball.

Also as a man when your are in your own kaploti you can call your friends for muratina and mbuzi when kijana akitahiri or other occasions. Also when you are 50 and your daughter is getting married, seriously you cant host the inlaws in some 10th floor apartment ama kwa apartment parking, or kwa pub. Can you imagine future inlaws wanakuja kuchukua msichana, or wakikuleta dowry kwa apartment, complete with all the honking and traditional dances as they wait for you to open "your gate". These apartments should only be starter homes. Or retirement homes when all kids are grown up and gone.

I think the dream of everyone should be to have a home with a compound where they can stretch their legs, have a barbeque, sit under a tree and enjoy a beer or a cigarette, keep a dog, cat, a few chicken, grow a few tomatoes, sukuma, onions etc. That is what makes life complete. Not living forever perched up there in 4th floor like you are still in mamlaka or hall 9 hapo UoN.
wukan
#23 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 3:21:04 PM

MugundaMan wrote:

Wachana na wukan, he is our "dust bowl's" biggest critic.
Mara too much dust, mara "salty water", mara no septic and sewer (as if his "green" areas outside of Nairobi core are any better) Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly And the million shilling question is why does it itch him that others love the same "dust bowl" that he hates with a passion? Pilipili asiyoila...

What he is not telling us is how much more expensive those areas he likes are and if he has anything there. You may come to find out hana kitu besides pipe dreams! Na siyo kwa ubaya wukan smile Please do not educate him about the many goodies to come for Kajiado County otherwise he might give us compe while the best plots are still available for the taking!

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Because I want to stop mediocre buyers from falling for your overpriced plots. It itches me when I see the kind of mediocrity that is creeping up in real estate. Too much greed and too little value for money. Real estate is such an elegant exercise you can't approach it from the Githurai mindset. It's the most important investment decision that a couple will make in their lifetime. Ask @hardwood he has visited foreign lands, people are serious about real estate, they develop, improve and maintain it. You look at it and it's elegant work of art.

My ancestors did not like the approach of owning too much real estate only small parcels in well-planned areas with continuous improvement and investing the rest in biashara. I hold real estate in form of shares in land companies and do quite a bit of real estate re-development because I enjoy it with a passion. Kweli sina kitu, I don't have babies so most of the real estate that I hold directly is to be donated to red cross or KRA.

Fyatu
#24 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 3:54:49 PM

wukan wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

I estimate the land size on this photo to be 1/2 acre(perhaps less). It seems like there are three apartment blocks with 10 floors each. Each floor seems to contain 2 houses. Therefore this 1/2 acre plot holds 60 houses. Assuming full occupancy by middle class families made up of baba, mama and two totos and a konkodi(all due respect househelps) each house shelters 5 persons.Offcourse, you will have a few houses occupied by upwardly mobile single mothers with one or two totos and others occupied by high flying randy bachelors. In summary lets assume an average of 3 per household totaling 180 persons housed in a 1/2 acre plot. That ladies and gentlemen is what a slum is...Kenyan journalist call such neighborhoods as high-population-density-neighborhoods.Couple this with the number of bars in Kilimani and compare and contrast with pewa street in Umoja estate you will understand what i am talking about.I'd rather take a morgage of 12 millions and settle in the bungalows of the dustbowl known as Kitengela and buy a suzuki alto(23kms per litre) to ferry myself and mama watoto to work daily other than pay 70 ngwanyes and risk dying of kipindupindu or other epidemics common in high density neighbourhoods

Does the dustbowl have connected sewer lines? All I see is pit latrines, septic tanks and salty-water boreholes everywhere. That water table will be contaminated in years to come. There are far more beautiful places you can buy land and settle down wachana na dustbowl. Why would you sink 12 millions in such a place?d'oh! d'oh!

Quote:
Long queues of neighing donkeys and hard cart pullers along Namanga Road with their mountains of yellow water containers are a sign that one is just to enter Kitengela. On a busy day, an estimated 100 water tankers will be crisscrossing every village path in the expansive, densely populated town, raising thick clouds of dust in desperate race to quench the thirst of the estimated 1.5 million people in Kitengela, Kajiado and Isinya towns.
Read more at: https://www.standardmedi...dents-cry-out-for-water

@Wukan. You need to visit that dustbowl e.g., this development. Alternately i can go @Mugundaman way and purchase a plot near this beautiful estates and build myself a beautiful house other than being conned huko sijui Kilimani, Hurlingham etc 2 years rent in Kilimani can buy me a decent plot in the dustbowls or even a down payment for a mortgage @karibu homes as i jipanga for greater things
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
Swenani
#25 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 7:29:09 PM

hardwood wrote:
kayhara wrote:
wukan wrote:

time.

I think apartments are only suitable for a certain age group, may be those under 40 or with young families. When your children get to high school i think it's time for one to get a proper house with an own compound, hata kama ni huko dustbowl. Then your teenagers can have space and privacy - after form 4 they can move from their mothers house and live huko in the servant quarters. Also in the kaploti they can sit hapo inje on the lawn and read a book or play football, table tennis or basket ball.

Also as a man when your are in your own kaploti you can call your friends for muratina and mbuzi when kijana akitahiri or other occasions. Also when you are 50 and your daughter is getting married, seriously you cant host the inlaws in some 10th floor apartment ama kwa apartment parking, or kwa pub. Can you imagine future inlaws wanakuja kuchukua msichana, or wakikuleta dowry kwa apartment, complete with all the honking and traditional dances as they wait for you to open "your gate". These apartments should only be starter homes. Or retirement homes when all kids are grown up and gone.

I think the dream of everyone should be to have a home with a compound where they can stretch their legs, have a barbeque, sit under a tree and enjoy a beer or a cigarette, keep a dog, cat, a few chicken, grow a few tomatoes, sukuma, onions etc. That is what makes life complete. Not living forever perched up there in 4th floor like you are still in mamlaka or hall 9 hapo UoN.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Wachana na sisi
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
parkaralice
#26 Posted : Thursday, August 09, 2018 10:29:00 AM

By seeing these images it looks like a parking on the ground floor. It depends on the city location, whether it is legal or illegal "To completely cover the building with no space between it and all four sides of the perimeter wall."
It's not legal to build beacon to beacon. If people are going to stay in it, it should be secure... That's what concerned only.
livie
#27 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 2:00:18 PM

hardwood wrote:
kayhara wrote:
wukan wrote:

time.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Applause hall 3 4th fl early 90s

If you are going to be thinking only one thing, you might as well be thinking big. -Donald J . Trump
MugundaMan
#28 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2018 10:49:03 AM

hardwood wrote:

Well put, my broda. I do not buy the myth that the future trend is "smaller living spaces" courtesy of what the "Millenials generation" has been brainwashed by the world media into believing. I need my garden, my driveway, my space to do somersaults on the lawn if necessary, my sunlight and my oxygen in order to have a good quality of life. For those who enjoy cramped spaces - they are the ones to build and sell to and live very far away from. There is nothing more rewarding than owning one's own private piece of God's green earth with your maisonette on it that you sweated seriously for, and owing nobody even one shilling in debt. If this is not the Kenyan middle class dream I do not know what is.
sparkly
#29 Posted : Sunday, August 12, 2018 11:15:33 AM

livie wrote:
hardwood wrote:
kayhara wrote:
wukan wrote:

time.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Applause hall 3 4th fl early 90s

Lol you will finish me ooh
Life is short. Live passionately.
wukan
#30 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 12:10:07 PM

Very sad story but one of the reasons why you avoid the dustbowlSad Sad

Quote:
Ms. Hawa has suffered a series of misfortunes since her husband’s death, the latest being a robbery incident on Saturday night. Ms. Hawa lost property estimated at Ksh.3 million on the fateful night.

The gangsters made way with all manner of items ranging from phones, carpets, home appliances, sandals and many others. The widow also received several slaps of a machete blade as the robbers sought to milk information out of her. Her biggest relief though is that neither her nor her two daughters were raped, something she says can only be Allah’s answer to her prayers.... was forced to move from their former home in South B as it was too expensive and moved to Kitengela six months ago.

https://www.standardmedi...r-newscaster-s-last-days
hardwood
#31 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 5:21:37 PM

wukan wrote:

https://www.standardmedi...-newscaster-s-last-days

Then you should also avoid apartments in kilimani, lavington, westlands etc..

https://nairobinews.nati...-in-one-week-of-terror/

Quote:
A gang of three men and a woman committed at least 20 robberies and shot a police officer in Nairobi in the past one week.

According to the police, the four are targeting victims inside their houses.

On Tuesday, the gang robbed at least four families in Westlands and Lavington.

On Tuesday at around 3pm, the gang entered the house of Ms Priyang Mehta at Amrutha Apartments on Brookside drive in Spring Valley.

They tied the victim together with her mother and househelp before robbing them of jewellery, cash, laptops and other household goods of unknown value. They then escaped using the white Nissan X-trail.

An hour later, the gang used the same vehicle to rob Ms Sharon Clean, an Australian working as a volunteer, in Palm Valley Apartments in Muthangari.

http://www.ghafla.com/ke...robbed-lavington-house/

Quote:
Kiss FM presenter Shaffie Weru was robbed of his valuables by burglars who broke into his posh apartment in the leafy suburb of Lavington.

Shaffie revealed that the burglars who broke into his apartment made away with his costly designer clothes, shoes and electronic items including his TV.

“They took my TV and other portable gadgets. This happened sometime last week, and my house was not the only one burgled.

Avoid the leafy surburbs.

https://mobile.nation.co...xhtml-v2evb2/index.html

Quote:
Karen residents worst hit by armed robberies
MugundaMan
#32 Posted : Monday, August 13, 2018 5:28:19 PM

hardwood wrote:
wukan wrote:

https://www.standardmedi...-newscaster-s-last-days

Then you should also avoid apartments in kilimani, lavington, westlands etc..

Quote:
A gang of three men and a woman committed at least 20 robberies and shot a police officer in Nairobi in the past one week.

According to the police, the four are targeting victims inside their houses.

On Tuesday, the gang robbed at least four families in Westlands and Lavington.

On Tuesday at around 3pm, the gang entered the house of Ms Priyang Mehta at Amrutha Apartments on Brookside drive in Spring Valley.

They tied the victim together with her mother and househelp before robbing them of jewellery, cash, laptops and other household goods of unknown value. They then escaped using the white Nissan X-trail.

An hour later, the gang used the same vehicle to rob Ms Sharon Clean, an Australian working as a volunteer, in Palm Valley Apartments in Muthangari.

http://www.ghafla.com/ke...robbed-lavington-house/

Quote:
Kiss FM presenter Shaffie Weru was robbed of his valuables by burglars who broke into his posh apartment in the leafy suburb of Lavington.

Shaffie revealed that the burglars who broke into his apartment made away with his costly designer clothes, shoes and electronic items including his TV.

“They took my TV and other portable gadgets. This happened sometime last week, and my house was not the only one burgled.

Wachana na wukanLaughing out loudly Laughing out loudly . He/she told us he/she owns nothing anywhere, explaining that he/she only owns land by some mysterious proxy without elaborating. Deep deep down we know he/she is salivating for a piece of the dustbowl. I only wish he/she would tell us more about the paradise where he/she lives.Laughing out loudly I highly doubt it is lavington or Westlands, but I could be wrong :)
wukan
#33 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2018 11:15:25 AM

MugundaMan wrote:

Wachana na wukanLaughing out loudly Laughing out loudly . He/she told us he/she owns nothing anywhere, explaining that he/she only owns land by some mysterious proxy without elaborating. Deep deep down we know he/she is salivating for a piece of the dustbowl. I only wish he/she would tell us more about the paradise where he/she lives.Laughing out loudly I highly doubt it is lavington or Westlands, but I could be wrong :)

Surely I love PYTs I can't be a 'she'(although i think you need to have some umama to appreciate good real estate/aestheticssmile smile ). I don't live in lavi or westi-I have never liked those segregated neighborhoods. I like interacting with kawaida people huko mashinani. The intruders in my hood are monkeys and stray cats.

MugundaMan
#34 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2018 2:25:56 PM

wukan wrote:

Surely I love PYTs I can't be a 'she'(although i think you need to have some umama to appreciate good real estate/aestheticssmile smile ). I don't live in lavi or westi-I have never liked those segregated neighborhoods. I like interacting with kawaida people huko mashinani. The intruders in my hood are monkeys and stray cats.

Fair enough, my broda. Just lay off the dust-bowl bashing smile. There's a reason why Kitengela is Kenya's fastest growing town and Kajiado has been named one of the richest counties in Kenya for many years in a row. Dust bowl is the future, my broda.

Just count the number of SGR passenger stations in existence and to come - Athi River, Tuala, Rongai, Ngong - for starters. SGR will determine Kenya's economic corridor for the next 150 years..ignore its flightpath at your own peril! Chinaman knows what he is doing and doesn't invest hovyo hovyo. Dust bowl has the biggest upside for the least cost hence the rapid influx of kina Mugundaman with big, awkward steps, kifua mbele, panting heavily, into the area.

It really is a no-brainer from an investment perspective. What I especially like about dustbowl is that there is largely an element of controlled development unlike a place like Umoja. Lots and lots of maisonettes on reasonable size plots are the norm the further you move from town core of Kitengela for example. Ngong is even better in terms of the layout of the streets and the developments coming up in its suburbs IMHO. You get the best of all worlds in dust bowl - proximity to Nairobi CBD, SGR access, rapidly emerging infrastructure (roads especially) and for a pocket friendly price compared to other suburbs surrounding Nairobi.

I just hope prices remain reasonable for the next few years so that those who want to invest more can do so. Before an acre starts going for 50 million minimum at the dustbowl in the coming decade. This will inevitably happen, given how much we Kenyans love to breed like rats. All those future hands, eyes and feet will need a place to stay and areas like dust bowl will be ones to provide it.