wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Putting up spacious 2br apts on 1/8th acre question
MugundaMan
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2018 6:46:56 AM

Recently visited an apartment complex on the outskirts of Nairobi that blew my mind away.They are apartments built on 1/8th freehold, on pillars so the ground floor is just for parking. They are slightly similar to the ones below. I counted at least 3 units per floor, 4 floors per block and two blocks connected together. What I found interesting is that the entire area of the 1/8th is completely covered with no space between it and all four sides of the perimeter wall. Is this legal to do? The guy seems to be making a mint as all the apartments are quite spacious inside with nice balconies and 100% occupied. Here I am sweating to build tu-tiny things on one of my 1/8ths kumbe I could maximise on my space and get better value and use of space!

obiero
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2018 7:36:39 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
Recently visited an apartment complex on the outskirts of Nairobi that blew my mind away.They are apartments built on 1/8th freehold, on pillars so the ground floor is just for parking. They are slightly similar to the ones below. I counted at least 3 units per floor, 4 floors per block and two blocks connected together. What I found interesting is that the entire area of the 1/8th is completely covered with no space between it and all four sides of the perimeter wall. Is this legal to do? The guy seems to be making a mint as all the apartments are quite spacious inside with nice balconies and 100% occupied. Here I am sweating to build tu-tiny things on one of my 1/8ths kumbe I could maximise on my space and get better value and use of space!

South B is littered with such designs. It's not legal to build beacon to beacon.. It's unethical too. But this is Kenya

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
MugundaMan
#3 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2018 9:17:13 AM

obiero wrote:

South B is littered with such designs. It's not legal to build beacon to beacon.. It's unethical too. But this is Kenya

Sad but true. Enyewe no need oversqueezing in the name of greed. Will obey the law and provide a few tiny greenspaces for the totos to jump around in. Too much of a concrete jungle on a plot with no sunshine is not good for their long term health.
wukan
#4 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2018 10:04:12 AM

I pity the children who have to grow up in such an environment.
muandiwambeu
#5 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2018 11:12:46 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
[quote=obiero]

Sad but true. Enyewe no need oversqueezing in the name of greed. Will obey the law and provide a few tiny greenspaces for the totos to jump around in. Too much of a concrete jungle on a plot with no sunshine is not good for their long term health. [/quote
Putting up two 2brms and bigger flats that meets all criterion's on the book on 1/8th would be unprofitable with the current economic mix in those estates. @65% ground coverage and setback from boundaries,only three units go and say a bedsitters. May someone propose a reasonably acceptable rent for each unit to meet an acceptable ROI of say 12%pa to a developer.
,Behold, a sower went forth to sow;....
hardwood
#6 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2018 8:44:59 PM

muandiwambeu wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
obiero wrote:

Sad but true. Enyewe no need oversqueezing in the name of greed. Will obey the law and provide a few tiny greenspaces for the totos to jump around in. Too much of a concrete jungle on a plot with no sunshine is not good for their long term health.

Putting up two 2brms and bigger flats that meets all criterion's on the book on 1/8th would be unprofitable with the current economic mix in those estates. @65% ground coverage and setback from boundaries,only three units go and say a bedsitters. May someone propose a reasonably acceptable rent for each unit to meet an acceptable ROI of say 12%pa to a developer.

You can over-squeeze and go to 10 floors like this 2bdrm block in kilimani. Rent is 70k. I wonder if there is enough parking or any green space.

Chaka
#7 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2018 8:58:03 PM

What is the occupancy like here?
hardwood wrote:

You can over-squeeze and go to 10 floors like this 2bdrm block in kilimani. Rent is 70k. I wonder if there is enough parking or any green space.

Swenani
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 9:19:11 AM

hardwood wrote:
muandiwambeu wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
[quote=obiero]

Sad but true. Enyewe no need oversqueezing in the name of greed. Will obey the law and provide a few tiny greenspaces for the totos to jump around in. Too much of a concrete jungle on a plot with no sunshine is not good for their long term health. [/quote

This is a slum
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Angelica _ann
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 9:26:52 AM

Swenani wrote:
hardwood wrote:
muandiwambeu wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
[quote=obiero]

This is a slum

People pay rent of 70k per month in such apartments? Never ever!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
hardwood
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 10:58:40 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Swenani wrote:
hardwood wrote:
muandiwambeu wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
obiero wrote:

This is a slum

Location location location. People would do anything to live in kilimani, even if it's in a servants quarter. One developer told me such apartments are always occupied since once you move to kilimani, you can't move your wife and kids back to msa road or eastlands, even if the rent rises to 100k. You are stuck for life until you go bankrupt. Image is everything.
Fyatu
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 11:04:28 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
Swenani wrote:
hardwood wrote:
muandiwambeu wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
[quote=obiero]

This is a slum

HUJUMA HII! Kilimani is now officially a slum competing with Donholm, umoja and eventually mwiki and Embakasi pipeline
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
Pesa Nane
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 11:50:38 AM

Fyatu wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Swenani wrote:
hardwood wrote:
muandiwambeu wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
[quote=obiero]

This is a slum

HUJUMA HII! Kilimani is now officially a slum competing with Donholm, umoja and eventually mwiki and Embakasi pipeline

Green space provided! Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
Angelica _ann
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 11:53:39 AM

Pesa Nane wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
Swenani wrote:
hardwood wrote:
muandiwambeu wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
[quote=obiero]

This is a slum

Green space provided! Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Shindwe Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
muandiwambeu
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 12:04:57 PM

hardwood wrote:
muandiwambeu wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
obiero wrote:

@HW, do not worry about criterion's. Am busy pouring magma like concrete and breaking every rule on the book. Kwani hiyo watu walio andika hizo sheria wanaishi kwa hewa. In one years time I will be looking forward to here that sweet word I like all the time, are u fully booked, Kuna vacant and I will be dancing all over when it starts raining again.
,Behold, a sower went forth to sow;....
Fyatu
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 12:16:53 PM

Swenani wrote:
hardwood wrote:
muandiwambeu wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
[quote=obiero]

This is a slum

I estimate the land size on this photo to be 1/2 acre(perhaps less). It seems like there are three apartment blocks with 10 floors each. Each floor seems to contain 2 houses. Therefore this 1/2 acre plot holds 60 houses. Assuming full occupancy by middle class families made up of baba, mama and two totos and a konkodi(all due respect househelps) each house shelters 5 persons.Offcourse, you will have a few houses occupied by upwardly mobile single mothers with one or two totos and others occupied by high flying randy bachelors. In summary lets assume an average of 3 per household totaling 180 persons housed in a 1/2 acre plot. That ladies and gentlemen is what a slum is...Kenyan journalist call such neighborhoods as high-population-density-neighborhoods.Couple this with the number of bars in Kilimani and compare and contrast with pewa street in Umoja estate you will understand what i am talking about.I'd rather take a morgage of 12 millions and settle in the bungalows of the dustbowl known as Kitengela and buy a suzuki alto(23kms per litre) to ferry myself and mama watoto to work daily other than pay 70 ngwanyes and risk dying of kipindupindu or other epidemics common in high density neighbourhoods
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
Swenani
#16 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 12:26:16 PM

Fyatu wrote:
Swenani wrote:
hardwood wrote:
muandiwambeu wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
[quote=obiero]

This is a slum

I estimate the land size on this photo to be 1/2 acre(perhaps less). It seems like there are three apartment blocks with 11 floors each. Each floor seems to contain 2 houses. Therefore this 1/2 acre plot holds 66 houses. Assuming full occupancy by middle class families made up of baba, mama and two totos and a konkodi(all due respect househelps) each house shelters 5 persons.Offcourse, you will have a few houses occupied by upwardly mobile single mothers with one or two totos and others occupied by high flying randy bachelors. In summary lets assume an average of 3 per household totaling 198 persons housed in a 1/2 acre plot. That ladies and gentlemen is what a slum is...Kenyan journalist call such neighborhoods as high-population-density-neighborhoods.Couple this with the number of bars in Kilimani and compare and contrast with pewa street in Umoja estate you will understand what i am talking about.I'd rather take a morgage of 12 millions and settle in the bungalows of the dustbowl known as Kitengela and buy a suzuki alto(23kms per litre) to ferry myself and mama watoto to work daily other than pay 70 ngwanyes and risk dying of kipindupindu or other epidemics common in high density neighbourhoods

If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
wukan
#17 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 12:49:46 PM

Fyatu wrote:

I estimate the land size on this photo to be 1/2 acre(perhaps less). It seems like there are three apartment blocks with 10 floors each. Each floor seems to contain 2 houses. Therefore this 1/2 acre plot holds 60 houses. Assuming full occupancy by middle class families made up of baba, mama and two totos and a konkodi(all due respect househelps) each house shelters 5 persons.Offcourse, you will have a few houses occupied by upwardly mobile single mothers with one or two totos and others occupied by high flying randy bachelors. In summary lets assume an average of 3 per household totaling 180 persons housed in a 1/2 acre plot. That ladies and gentlemen is what a slum is...Kenyan journalist call such neighborhoods as high-population-density-neighborhoods.Couple this with the number of bars in Kilimani and compare and contrast with pewa street in Umoja estate you will understand what i am talking about.I'd rather take a morgage of 12 millions and settle in the bungalows of the dustbowl known as Kitengela and buy a suzuki alto(23kms per litre) to ferry myself and mama watoto to work daily other than pay 70 ngwanyes and risk dying of kipindupindu or other epidemics common in high density neighbourhoods

Does the dustbowl have connected sewer lines? All I see is pit latrines, septic tanks and salty-water boreholes everywhere. That water table will be contaminated in years to come. There are far more beautiful places you can buy land and settle down wachana na dustbowl. Why would you sink 12 millions in such a place?d'oh! d'oh!

Quote:
Long queues of neighing donkeys and hard cart pullers along Namanga Road with their mountains of yellow water containers are a sign that one is just to enter Kitengela. On a busy day, an estimated 100 water tankers will be crisscrossing every village path in the expansive, densely populated town, raising thick clouds of dust in desperate race to quench the thirst of the estimated 1.5 million people in Kitengela, Kajiado and Isinya towns.
Read more at: https://www.standardmedi...dents-cry-out-for-water
hardwood
#18 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 1:24:21 PM

wukan wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

Does the dustbowl have connected sewer lines? All I see is pit latrines, septic tanks and salty-water boreholes everywhere. That water table will be contaminated in years to come. There are far more beautiful places you can buy land and settle down wachana na dustbowl. Why would you sink 12 millions in such a place?d'oh! d'oh!

Quote:
Long queues of neighing donkeys and hard cart pullers along Namanga Road with their mountains of yellow water containers are a sign that one is just to enter Kitengela. On a busy day, an estimated 100 water tankers will be crisscrossing every village path in the expansive, densely populated town, raising thick clouds of dust in desperate race to quench the thirst of the estimated 1.5 million people in Kitengela, Kajiado and Isinya towns.
Read more at: https://www.standardmedi...dents-cry-out-for-water

Relax. The dustbowl will soon be supplied with fresh water, and sewer is being constructed. It will become a paradise.

http://www.tanathi.go.ke...am-water-supply-project

C&P
Project 1
NDARUGU DAM/ WATER SUPPLY PROJECT
The Ndarugu Dam/ Water Supply Project is aimed at serving 1,500,000 people with clean water in Kiambu, Machakos and Kajiado counties. The project components will entail a 35m high dam of 225 million M3 capacity, the treatment plant of 55,000m3/day of clean water, 45km raising main of 900mmDN, 2 Booster stations, 2 RC reservoirs of 10,000m3 each and over 60km Distribution system with several tanks of different sizes. Bidding process closed on 31st Jan 2017 and the evaluation of Bidders is ongoing. The estimated cost is 20B Kenya shillings

Project 2
DESIGN OF OLOOLOTIKOSH KITENGELA-KAJIADO WATER SUPPLY AND SEWAREGE SYSTEM PROJECT
To serve 1,500,000 people ( Water and Sewerage Systems) in Kajiado County.The actual works being Dam construction, Kajiado, Isinya and Kitengela Water Supply and Construction of Kajiado and Kitengela Sewerage System. The project is at procurement stage and is estimated to cost 150 million funded by ADB
kayhara
#19 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 1:33:21 PM

wukan wrote:
I pity the children who have to grow up in such an environment.

most apartments even expensive ones lack
1-enough parking spaces- ideally nowadays you need 1.5 parking spots per bedroom
2-No social spaces- is there an outside area you can just sit read a paper, chat with a neighbor comfortably?
3-Dedicated safe kids area-most Nairobi apartments and estates have roads as play areas with 5kmph children playing signs.
4-Teen friendly spaces (private)- where does your teen kid go when the wife has a chama meeting in the house? in Nairobi chances are
he will be in bad company since the only available play spaces are in schools or churches and are reluctant to allow teens in at any
time.
5-In Kenya if I find my friend sitting on the grass at the road side, i will be very concerned (is he mad) in other countries you find road side seats for resting and just picnics, in Nairobi tell me a place you can go sit on grass that is not uhuru park(people see it a low class park)
6-I see photos above of nice looking units but I see relatively small balconies, we don't value outside spaces ( a client asked me to put a window on all his balconies and open terraces.
7-If you wanted to do a barbecue in those units it's impossible or annoying to neighbours.

but as proceed clients will start asking for this amenities and will move to units that provide them.

To Each His Own
MugundaMan
#20 Posted : Tuesday, August 07, 2018 1:36:14 PM

hardwood wrote:

Relax. The dustbowl will soon be supplied with fresh water, and sewer is being constructed. It will become a paradise.

http://www.tanathi.go.ke...am-water-supply-project

C&P
Project 1
NDARUGU DAM/ WATER SUPPLY PROJECT
The Ndarugu Dam/ Water Supply Project is aimed at serving 1,500,000 people with clean water in Kiambu, Machakos and Kajiado counties. The project components will entail a 35m high dam of 225 million M3 capacity, the treatment plant of 55,000m3/day of clean water, 45km raising main of 900mmDN, 2 Booster stations, 2 RC reservoirs of 10,000m3 each and over 60km Distribution system with several tanks of different sizes. Bidding process closed on 31st Jan 2017 and the evaluation of Bidders is ongoing. The estimated cost is 20B Kenya shillings

Project 2
DESIGN OF OLOOLOTIKOSH KITENGELA-KAJIADO WATER SUPPLY AND SEWAREGE SYSTEM PROJECT
To serve 1,500,000 people ( Water and Sewerage Systems) in Kajiado County.The actual works being Dam construction, Kajiado, Isinya and Kitengela Water Supply and Construction of Kajiado and Kitengela Sewerage System. The project is at procurement stage and is estimated to cost 150 million funded by ADB

Wachana na wukan, he is our "dust bowl's" biggest critic.
Mara too much dust, mara "salty water", mara no septic and sewer (as if his "green" areas outside of Nairobi core are any better) Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly And the million shilling question is why does it itch him that others love the same "dust bowl" that he hates with a passion? Pilipili asiyoila...

What he is not telling us is how much more expensive those areas he likes are and if he has anything there. You may come to find out hana kitu besides pipe dreams! Na siyo kwa ubaya wukan smile Please do not educate him about the many goodies to come for Kajiado County otherwise he might give us compe while the best plots are still available for the taking!