wazua Thu, May 23, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Water tank level indicator/meter
mungaits
#1 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 10:31:22 AM

Good people,

I am looking for a gadget that can indicate the water level in a plastic water tank placed on the roof.

It’s quiet cumbersome (and risky) having to climb to the roof all the time to check.

Asanteni sana

XSK
#2 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 11:34:21 AM

mungaits wrote:
Good people,

I am looking for a gadget that can indicate the water level in a plastic water tank placed on the roof.

It’s quiet cumbersome (and risky) having to climb to the roof all the time to check.

Asanteni sana

Why do you need to know the water level? I presume so that you can switch off the water supply to the tank. If this is the case then you are better off installing a float switch in the tank. It will switch on/off the water pump automatically based on the preset water levels in the tank.
You will know that you have arrived when money and time are not mutually exclusive "events" in you life!
kayhara
#3 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 11:54:10 AM

XSK wrote:
mungaits wrote:
Good people,

Asanteni sana

Why do you need to know the water level? I presume so that you can switch off the water supply to the tank. If this is the case then you are better off installing a float switch in the tank. It will switch on/off the water pump automatically based on the preset water levels in the tank.

If he is harvesting rain water it's very important to know water level or like those concrete tanks which you must leave a certain water level, anyway there those floater level meters used in the square metal tanks, plus today you can get smart level indicators like this smart water level indicator
To Each His Own
mungaits
#4 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 11:56:37 AM

Hi XSK, I actually get water delivered by a water bowser so the float switch wouldn’t help much.
XSK
#5 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 12:32:53 PM

mungaits wrote:
Hi XSK, I actually get water delivered by a water bowser so the float switch wouldn’t help much.

In this case you better go with Kayhara proposal. Alternatively take a jua kali approach with the float switch, it switches on a Red light to indicated low level and a green one to indicate full tank. My opinion!
You will know that you have arrived when money and time are not mutually exclusive "events" in you life!
Njunge
#6 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 12:34:38 PM

You can have a plumber install a sight glass on your tank. He would have to insert a coloured float inside the glass so you may be able to view the level in your tank from afar. The other alternative is a remote level indicator. The problem with this is, they require periodic maintenance/calibration which skill i highly doubt is available in your neighbourhood. Of course as also suggested by XSK, you can have your tank configuration to have a bigger tank at the bottom. A pump to the upper tank can be installed alongside a float switch and this can automatically top up or cut off your loft tank. The bowser would then empty into the lower tank. Sasa mfuko iongee!!smile

An example of a sight glass.

mungaits
#7 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 1:02:49 PM

Thank you guys for the feedback and input, let me try out the float switch option and see how it works out. Will update all on the outcome.

Cheers
winmak
#8 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 1:30:34 PM

Njunge wrote:
You can have a plumber install a sight glass on your tank. He would have to insert a coloured float inside the glass so you may be able to view the level in your tank from afar. The other alternative is a remote level indicator. The problem with this is, they require periodic maintenance/calibration which skill i highly doubt is available in your neighbourhood. Of course as also suggested by XSK, you can have your tank configuration to have a bigger tank at the bottom. A pump to the upper tank can be installed alongside a float switch and this can automatically top up or cut off your loft tank. The bowser would then empty into the lower tank. Sasa mfuko iongee!!smile

An example of a sight glass.

I have been looking for this for a longtime. Now are these sight glasses commercialsy available and where?
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
Njunge
#9 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 7:23:13 PM

Yes. You may not get them off-shelf locally but then any plumber can make one easily. All he would need is a pair of Tees, a pair of plugs, convenient length of glass or pyrex tube, a small length of hose pipe and two pairs of hose clips......it's actually a DIY thing!!
Gathige
#10 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 7:36:50 PM

mungaits wrote:
Good people,

Asanteni sana

Use this Jua Kali one, thank me later.

1. Get two 1 litre plastic bottles.
2. Have a hole drilled nicely at the top of the tank, on top of the cover.
3. Fill one bottle with water and the othe one let it be empty. The one with water should be water tight.
4. Connect the two bottles with a fishing line kind of string, with the total length slightly a feet less than the height of the tank.
5. Insert the bottle with water inside the tank and the empty one let it be outside
6. When the tank s full, the bottle inside will float and the one outside will be at the base ouside, meaning tank full.
7. The two bottles will see saw as the lowers get low.
8. If you have kids, let the watch and get you a report daily.

There you have your meter at no cost. Try and thank me later.

Caveat: make sure the water bottle with water is air tight so it does not get water from the inside tank to avoid sinking and misleading.

"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Njunge
#11 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 7:44:53 PM

Gathige wrote:
[quote=mungaits]

Caveat: make sure the water bottle with water is air tight so it does not get water from the inside tank to avoid sinking and misleading.

Laughing out loudly Applause Applause ....Nice one. It should work. Tunasumbukana nini?smile
Angelica _ann
#12 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 7:54:47 PM

Njunge wrote:
Gathige wrote:
[quote=mungaits]

Laughing out loudly Applause Applause ....Nice one. It should work. Tunasumbukana nini?smile

Had to read like 3 times, great & beautiful!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
mungaits
#13 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 8:19:13 PM

Asante sana @Gathige, sounds like a simple, affordable and fun way of checking the tank water level!

Trying it out kesho. Love the kids checking and giving daily report, I am sure my boys will love it and even give hourly reports 😂😂
Gathige
#14 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 8:25:29 PM

mungaits wrote:
Asante sana @Gathige, sounds like a simple, affordable and fun way of checking the tank water level!

Trying it out kesho. Love the kids checking and giving daily report, I am sure my boys will love it and even give hourly reports 😂😂

Karibu. If you have a drum do the testing with it to ensure the weights are working properly. Also make sure the hole at the top is well done and the string moves smoothly without getting stuck.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
hardwood
#15 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 8:45:52 PM

The outside bottle should have some weight e.g. be 1/2 full to ensure the string doesn't get stuck. An empty bottle is very light.
Gathige
#16 Posted : Friday, July 20, 2018 8:54:20 PM

hardwood wrote:
The outside bottle should have some weight e.g. be 1/2 full to ensure the string doesn't get stuck. An empty bottle is very light.

True. Forgot that. It help support in see- sawing with it's heavier Bro on the othe side.

Mukiri
#17 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2018 2:01:24 AM

Nice. You can afix something (like bells) that will make noises when the outside bottle comes into contact. That way, you can be assured if someone forgets to manually check, the noises made will send out alerts

Proverbs 19:21
Njunge
#18 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2018 11:41:48 AM

Gathige wrote:
hardwood wrote:

True. Forgot that. It help support in see- sawing with it's heavier Bro on the othe side.

I can improve that to have a small single track pulley for the thread to run over and maybe even use a piano wire in place of a thread. Just looking at making my Gathigemeter more efficientsmile
winmak
#19 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2018 6:33:59 PM

Njunge wrote:
Yes. You may not get them off-shelf locally but then any plumber can make one easily. All he would need is a pair of Tees, a pair of plugs, convenient length of glass or pyrex tube, a small length of hose pipe and two pairs of hose clips......it's actually a DIY thing!!

Guka I just spoke to my plumber, he’s never fashioned such a contraption but he understands the concept. Now where in Nairobi do u think I can source for that Pyrex tube or long glass tube? Mine is. A 5000 liter hoisted about 10 meters high
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
hardwood
#20 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2018 7:57:52 PM

For those that have a tank that has a tap it's very easy to monitor the water level. Just buy 2-3 meters of that clear pipe fundis use kupima level. Attach one end to the tap and then attach or tie the other end to the top of the tank. Then open the tap. The level of the water in the pipe will be the same level with that in the tank. It's the method that i use.