wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Ethiopia
tinker
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:23:24 PM

We must burst this bubble that Ethiopia is the economic giant in East Africa. Kenya is no doubt the best in many ways compared to them.

Planning.
Did I just see a mud walled/ unplanned vibandas (a kin of majengo) right beside International hotels such as Radisson Blu.
New skyscrapper are competing with mud residentials for a space in same area.

Language
There is no doubt that world trade language is english, however, majority of the population in Addis cannot speak or understand simple english.
All or most business have outdoor banners written in Amharic.
If you want to print a document, you'll hop to many bureaus before you can get a service.

General Knowledge
Met with this middle aged guy who has a university degree in electrical engineering who says Thambo Mbeki is the current president of South Africa. he has no idea where is Tanzania.

Workforce
Visited this national organisation where almost every employee was around 50 years old or more.
Take ages to get a simple task to be completed.

Moi oppressed us for more than two decades but atleast he promoted education.
....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..
murchr
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:33:40 PM

When Charles Dickens (writer Oliver Twist) visited New York, he went to back to London with sentiments like yours above. Lo and behold NY became the capital of everything mordern in the world.

There are a zillion threads on this topic you could just have replied to any of them.

Admin .......housekeeping please
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Metch
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 9:05:41 PM

tinker wrote:
We must burst this bubble that Ethiopia is the economic giant in East Africa. Kenya is no doubt the best in many ways compared to them.

Planning.
Did I just see a mud walled/ unplanned vibandas (a kin of majengo) right beside International hotels such as Radisson Blu.

Language
There is no doubt that world trade language is english, however, majority of the population in Addis cannot speak or understand simple english.
If you want to print a document, you'll hop to many bureaus before you can get a service.

General Knowledge
Met with this middle aged guy who has a university degree in electrical engineering who says Thambo Mbeki is the current president of South Africa. he has no idea where is Tanzania.

Workforce
Visited this national organisation where almost every employee was around 50 years old or more.

Stick to your lane Mr. Tinker. Their country their rules. Its their stubbornness that will move them forward... Contrast with our eagerness to ape
Start!
Ryko
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2018 10:03:20 PM

tinker wrote:

Planning.

Language

General Knowledge

Workforce

..you have forgotten their ladies, in your economic study.

To be honest i still wonder why they say Ethiopia is an economic giant maybe on paper but not on the ground.

Just behind the big Orthodox church in Addis, the long stretch stinks, its littered with young boy, very young washing cars. I wonder if they even go to school. The gap between the poor & rich is evident in those streets

Addis is littered with very old cars, the kind of Premios that you rarely find in Kenya looks 12yrs,the taxis are worse.

The currency is weird, stronger than KSh hence they trash our shilling. That currency is a burden to them, it blows the cost of living & shopping.

Its literally expensive to be in Addis due to their currency, shopping in Addis is expensive its way better to shop in Kenya.
Chinese are the only visitors all over.

You cannot compare that place to Kenya, but their ladies are on another level, attitude, character ....its the only thing that can make you forget your motherland economics forever. Their generosity can makes one realize the Nairobi wow-man is a raw deal.
I work so I can afford the amount of alcohol required to continue going to work
Swenani
#5 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 9:09:16 AM

Ryko wrote:
tinker wrote:

Planning.

Language

General Knowledge

Workforce

To be honest i still wonder why they say Ethiopia is an economic giant maybe on paper but not on the ground.

Just behind the big Orthodox church in Addis, the long stretch stinks, its littered with young boy, very young washing cars. I wonder if they even go to school. The gap between the poor & rich is evident in those streets

Addis is littered with very old cars, the kind of Premios that you rarely find in Kenya looks 12yrs,the taxis are worse.

The currency is weird, stronger than KSh hence they trash our shilling. That currency is a burden to them, it blows the cost of living & shopping.

Its literally expensive to be in Addis due to their currency, shopping in Addis is expensive its way better to shop in Kenya.

You cannot compare that place to Kenya, but their ladies are on another level, attitude, character ....its the only thing that can make you forget your motherland economics forever. Their generosity can makes one realize the Nairobi wow-man is a raw deal.

common...Ethiopia is anything but expensive.

Their women are dirty though. Visit a bathtub after they have used it, utashangaa kama ni mtu alioga ama ni kondoo zilioshwa kwa bathtub. However they are very generous with the airport. Cha muhimu ni airport
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
mikanjoroge
#6 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 10:14:57 AM

Swenani wrote:
Ryko wrote:
tinker wrote:

Planning.

Language

General Knowledge

Workforce

common...Ethiopia is anything but expensive.

Their women are dirty though. Visit a bathtub after they have used it, utashangaa kama ni mtu alioga ama ni kondoo zilioshwa kwa bathtub. However they are very generous with the airport. Cha muhimu ni airport

The ruling elite must be happy to see Kenyans fighting over scraps. Kenya vs. Ethiopia, who is better? It is like in a class of 40 students number 35 arguing with number 37 who is better since one did slightly better in some subjects vs. the other.

The bottom line, we are both (Kenya and Ethiopia) at the bottom globally. Ask Vietnam which is approaching $163B in exports after 70s war.
sparkly
#7 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 11:59:30 AM

tinker wrote:

Planning.

Language

General Knowledge

Workforce

Ethiopia is an Biblical age civilization, well enlightened when western Europeans were hunting gathering and living in mud and skin huts. Never colonized by the Europeans.

Remember that history as you look at Ethiopia from your colonial clouded view point.
Life is short. Live passionately.
kaka2za
#8 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 12:35:03 PM

sparkly wrote:
tinker wrote:

Planning.

Language

General Knowledge

Workforce

Ethiopia is an Biblical age civilization, well enlightened when western Europeans were hunting gathering and living in mud and skin huts. Never colonized by the Europeans.

Remember that history as you look at Ethiopia from your colonial clouded view point.

I dont know what you guys are on about but all I have seen in Ethiopia outside Addis is poverty!
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
sparkly
#9 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 1:23:30 PM

kaka2za wrote:
sparkly wrote:
tinker wrote:

Planning.

Language

General Knowledge

Workforce

I dont know what you guys are on about but all I have seen in Ethiopia outside Addis is poverty!

Ethiopia is like China or Turkey. If they desire, they can rise, develop quickly dominate the middle east and the rest of Africa.
wukan
#10 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2018 2:21:14 PM

sparkly wrote:

Pretty useless civilization. What have they been doing from biblical age that they have never dominated Africa? They enslaved blacks (shanqalla) for hard labour for thousands of years till the Italians stopped them (pretty uncivilized). They still have the racial discrimination which affects access to resources and social opportunites. This is a feudal society-pampered, isolationist and doing very little technological innovation. Feudal systems with their classes/castes endure for a long time but rarely develop until the system evolves to create equality. Forget about Ethiopia dominance for now.
tinker
#11 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2018 12:04:41 PM

wukan wrote:
sparkly wrote:

Pretty useless civilization. What have they been doing from biblical age that they have never dominated Africa? They enslaved blacks (shanqalla) for hard labour for thousands of years till the Italians stopped them (pretty uncivilized). They still have the racial discrimination which affects access to resources and social opportunites. This is a feudal society-pampered, isolationist and doing very little technological innovation. Feudal systems with their classes/castes endure for a long time but rarely develop until the system evolves to create equality. Forget about Ethiopia dominance for now.

In other news. I was informed by an Ethiopian that Tigriny, Armharic and Oromifa languages are derivatives of Greek language. I do not know if this is true or not.
This could explain why they do not consider themselves as Africans.

That Armharic was an army language (much of swahili in Uganda).
Again this may explain why Ethiopia is still a military state. They believe in guns and force.
sparkly
#12 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2018 12:14:33 PM

tinker wrote:
wukan wrote:
sparkly wrote:

In other news. I was informed by an Ethiopian that Tigriny, Armharic and Oromifa languages are derivatives of Greek language. I do not know if this is true or not.
This could explain why they do not consider themselves as Africans.

That Armharic was an army language (much of swahili in Uganda).
Again this may explain why Ethiopia is still a military state. They believe in guns and force.

AU is headquartered in Ethiopia.
Ericsson
#13 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2018 12:15:16 PM

The thing about Ethiopia why its being talked about is numbers.
Population of 100mn plus provides a good market for goods and services.
The other thing is the huge infrastructure its being doing
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
RIEK01
#14 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2018 4:06:06 PM

tinker
#15 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2018 6:39:15 PM

RIEK01 wrote:
http://www.africanews.com/2017/11/16/ethiopia-telecoms-monopoly-now-africa-s-largest-mobile-operator/

Informative article backed by numbers.
Lolest!
#16 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2018 7:07:52 PM

Isnt their future bright with new PM Abiy? The Oromo are pacified and there's peace with Eritrea.

Wonder how it'll go if PM switches to democracy

Never been there but want to visit. I hear we get visa free entry. How is the place for a Kenyan tourist?
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Ericsson
#17 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2018 7:21:06 PM

tinker wrote:
RIEK01 wrote:
http://www.africanews.com/2017/11/16/ethiopia-telecoms-monopoly-now-africa-s-largest-mobile-operator/

Old news
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
obiero
#18 Posted : Saturday, July 14, 2018 8:22:56 PM

Ericsson wrote:
tinker wrote:
RIEK01 wrote:

Old news

It's the largest monopoly but not the most profitable

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
kaka2za
#19 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2018 12:56:08 AM

obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
tinker wrote:
RIEK01 wrote:

Old news

If Ethiopia is doing so well why are their youth so desperate to leave?
As I write, there dozens of Habesh youths locked up in a container on the road trip to SA while others are trekking through the desert in Libya
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
murchr
#20 Posted : Sunday, July 15, 2018 4:01:38 AM

kaka2za wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
tinker wrote:
RIEK01 wrote:

Old news

If Ethiopia is doing so well why are their youth so desperate to leave?
As I write, there dozens of Habesh youths locked up in a container on the road trip to SA while others are trekking through the desert in Libya

The grass is always greener across the fence. Plus a population of 100M people is no joke survival for the fittest is all over.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore