wazua Mon, Apr 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
MTN Ghana IPO
ngapat
#1 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2018 7:02:01 PM

Just got this message. What do u guys think

Dear Client,

MTN Ghana, the largest Telco in Ghana has an IPO closing on 31st July. We see an opportunity in the IPO, for more contact info@sterlingib.com.
“Invest in yourself. Your career is the engine of your wealth.”
ngapat
#2 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2018 7:15:35 PM

Just googled the prospectus
https://www.google.com/u...aw2gdiSUlwPYXRQgRZpiPf2k
Angelica _ann
#3 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2018 7:21:31 PM

@Young, mzee wetu wa West Africa Region should advice!!!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
ngapat
#4 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2018 7:45:41 PM

Allocatioñ will be paltry 5% for non Ghanians

https://investinginafric...et/invest-mtn-ghana-ipo/
Sober
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:04:31 PM

ngapat wrote:
Just got this message. What do u guys think

Dear Client,

MTN Ghana, the largest Telco in Ghana has an IPO closing on 31st July. We see an opportunity in the IPO, for more contact info@sterlingib.com.

I also got the same text from my brokerage firm. Should we assume the counter is as hot, or will be like our very own Safaricom?

Looking at the numbers, the price is about Ksh 15 per share and have 4 billion floated shares in this IPO. Do your maths...
African parents don't know how to say sorry.. the closest you will get to a sorry is a 'have you eaten'
young
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 7:55:23 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:
@Young, mzee wetu wa West Africa Region should advice!!!

My apologies @Angelica-ann, I did not see your request until yesterday as I don't read stocks segment very often. As a routine these days I read FY earning reports from Feb to April and by mid August to early Sept I read HY reports.
My main attention on wazua is on the health segment and SK charity club.

Nonetheless though belated I strongly advise you against investing in Ghana MTN IPO for 2 reasons
The wazua spirit as members is to educate and inform and learn from others within the limit of what we know in any chosen area irrespective of our differences in tribes, nationalities, etc. .
young
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 8:06:45 AM

The First Reason is the consistent depreciation of the Ghana currency the Cedi. When investing overseas your capital preservation relative to your home currency is very important .

Let me take your through memory lane for the past 10+ years to buttress my point, specifically year 2007 to 2018.

Year 2007
1 cedi was 1 USD
67 KSH was 1 USD
120 naira was 1 USD
Naira is my local Nigerian currency

2007 In KENYA shilling Terms

67 ksh was 1 cedi
120 naira was 1 cedi

FAST FORWARD 2018
4.87 Cedi is 1 USD
100 KSH is 1 USD
360 naira is 1 USD

2018 IN KENYA SHILLING TERMS
21 KSH is 1 Cedi
74 Naira is 1 Cedi

Our naira relative to ksh is not doing well also.

In 2007 it was 1.8 naira to 1 ksh
In 2018 it is 3.60 naira to 1 ksh.

This is however a big very advantage to me as an investor in Nairobi bourse.

I think the difference is clear ?

The wazua spirit as members is to educate and inform and learn from others within the limit of what we know in any chosen area irrespective of our differences in tribes, nationalities, etc. .
young
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 8:09:48 AM

The second reason is that , Ghana bourse is not liquid, you may have issues of free entry and exit.
Besides only a paltry 5% of the 4B MTN shares on offer are allocated to foreigners, so the chances of getting your full allotment is very slim.

Hope this helps ?
maka
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 8:37:14 AM

Been following up on purchasing some bonds in that country rates are super attractive...
possunt quia posse videntur
young
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:15:48 AM

maka wrote:
Been following up on purchasing some bonds in that country rates are super attractive...

Yep
The coupon (returns) rate is 17 to 20% .
But in Ghana CEDI's.

Hehehe as you say in Kenya in terms of returns in Ksh terms.

young
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:28:19 AM

For a sustainable long term investment in Ghana , I will strongly recommend real estate if you have a flair for it.
This is because quite unlike other countries in Africa, their real estate (land and houses) is dollar denominated I'm middle class and upper middle class suburbs.

It is a well known fast on the long term dollar outperforms African currencies .

For a mature estate you can have a look at a condo(equivalent of an apartment in a high rise building in Kenya) in Devtraco estate
www.devtraco.com

Or an upcoming estate in Appolonia city
Where you can get a plot or a house
www.Appolonia.com.GH

Notwithstanding the high price in USD, payment terms (up coming estates only) is more flexible ranging from 12 to 36 months payment plans. But you need to wait for 8 to 10 years for the estate to mature in order to recoup your investment .

The high point of Appolonia city is that the President of Ghana visited there to commission an aspect of their estate that shows the genuineness and legality of the estate .

NOTE;- These are all illustrations you have to do your due diligence and you must see what you want to buy
young
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:33:59 AM

The link below of Ghana President visit to Appolonia city.

https://www.graphic.com....-at-appolonia-city.html
lochaz-index
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:49:19 AM

young wrote:
For a sustainable long term investment in Ghana , I will strongly recommend real estate if you have a flair for it.
This is because quite unlike other countries in Africa, their real estate (land and houses) is dollar denominated I'm middle class and upper middle class suburbs.

It is a well known fast on the long term dollar outperforms African currencies .

For a mature estate you can have a look at a condo(equivalent of an apartment in a high rise building in Kenya) in Devtraco estate
www.devtraco.com

Or an upcoming estate in Appolonia city
Where you can get a plot or a house
www.Appolonia.com.GH

Notwithstanding the high price in USD, payment terms (up coming estates only) is more flexible ranging from 12 to 36 months payment plans. But you need to wait for 8 to 10 years for the estate to mature in order to recoup your investment .

The high point of Appolonia city is that the President of Ghana visited there to commission an aspect of their estate that shows the genuineness and legality of the estate .

NOTE;- These are all illustrations you have to do your due diligence and you must see what you want to buy

Seconded but with a small caveat on the trend for subsaharan real estate. On average in terms of capital appreciation, the best years are behind it. Possibly another 2-3 years of above average return before the cycle shifts.
The main purpose of the stock market is to make fools of as many people as possible.
lochaz-index
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:52:32 AM

maka wrote:

Currency risk could outstrip the returns depending on the time horizon though I think KES is going to have a tougher time going forward vs the dollar than the cedi.
The main purpose of the stock market is to make fools of as many people as possible.
maka
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 10:05:50 AM

lochaz-index wrote:
maka wrote:

Currency risk could outstrip the returns depending on the time horizon though I think KES is going to have a tougher time going forward vs the dollar than the cedi.

10 year period...
young
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 7:16:21 PM

lochaz-index wrote:
maka wrote:

I believe this is just your mere thought as there is no basis.
This can only happen if ksh depreciates to 200ksh/$ to match up with the seriously battered
Cedi.
This cannot happen
in the next few years.......
lochaz-index
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:27:34 PM

maka wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
maka wrote:

10 year period...

In that case, KES would have the upperhand. In a shorter time frame it would be the reverse.
maka
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:38:29 PM

lochaz-index wrote:
maka wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
maka wrote:

10 year period...

In that case, KES would have the upperhand. In a shorter time frame it would be the reverse.

There is no WHT for foreign investors... 8% tax on gross for Ghanaians....
lochaz-index
#19 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:41:10 PM

young wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
maka wrote:

I believe this is just your mere thought as there is no basis.
This can only happen if ksh depreciates to 200ksh/$ to match up with the seriously battered
Cedi.
This cannot happen
in the next few years.......

Let's make a distinction...my recommendation is for an investor looking in. In that case past performance of either the cedi or KES counts for nothing as it doesn't indicate future performance.

For investors already holding assets in Ghana during the currency slide, the damage is already done and of course they faired far worse than KE ones.

My contention is that going forward on the short term, I don't expect KES to be a stellar performer like it has been in the past even against the cedi. So it is a question/comparison/projection of future performance without accounting for what has already transpired.
lochaz-index
#20 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:45:22 PM

maka wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
maka wrote:
lochaz-index wrote:
maka wrote:

10 year period...

There is no WHT for foreign investors... 8% tax on gross for Ghanaians....

Smart. Don't put unnecessary costs if you are the one holding the begging bowl.