Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages<12345>»
Centum Full Year results 2017/2018
VituVingiSana
#41 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 1:03:43 PM

Centum

Catherine Igathe
Laila Macharia

Any connection to other current and former NSE alumni?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#42 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 3:13:45 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Centum

Catherine Igathe--Wife to Polycarp Igathe
Laila Macharia--Wife to Mugo Kibati

Any connection to other current and former NSE alumni?

Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
VyaBureSiachi
#43 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 6:36:16 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Long post coming up. The ADHD folks should skip this.
If you are going to use the comments below then don't cut and paste a portion but provide the entire post to give context. This was posted on 10th September 2018. smile smile smile
I hold Centum as a Tier 2 investment but if I had the cash I would load up at sub-30 given what info is available. If the information changes i.e. scams, economy goes down the crapper, etc then I will bail out even at a loss. I learnt my lesson in KQ.
Losses will happen. Not all investments make money. Warren Buffett - who is a genius - got burnt on IBM, Tesco, GenRe, Dexter, etc.
Centum has a few investments that might not make for a decent ROI including Sidian Bank, Akira, Amu, etc.
It has also has some investments that are cash cows (today) e.g. Coca-Cola.
Some will take longer to mature given today's environment including Pearl Marina and Vipingo.

Overall, Centum has a good portfolio of assets and should do well if managed conservatively. Centum should not take on debt unless it is for a potential 5-bagger without huge downside risk.

One has to watch, observe and read the environment. The current political and economic environment is awful but those who can survive it might come out stronger.

Investing in Kenyan firms is not for the faint-hearted. Sometimes, it is tempting to sell off everything and buy T-Bonds!

@Horton - Yes, I hold Centum and no regrets except not buying them cheaper but I don't know how to time markets. I don't "trade" so it makes little difference to me in the long-term. I am a Warren Buffett fan and as long as one follows his principles, one does OK.

He advised one should limit their investments so I reduced my universe of investments to a maximum of 12 with max 5 core (70-80% of the value) investments.

All my core investments have paid a dividend since 2015, have (IMHO) good management (which I monitor as best as I can) and decent fundamentals (NAV, PER, ROE, etc). I try to attend all the meetings, read various reports from brokers, use their products, etc.

Then I have Tier 2 investments which may grow into "Core" but my exposure to each is limited to 5% of the portfolio. Centum, Equity, TPSEA.

Tier 3 including ARM which is less than 1%. I can easily NPL these off.

I am not as concerned with price unless I want to enter/ buy or exit/sell as much as ROI.
Dividends don't matter as much either but the ROI does i.e. the sustainable PAT and Net Assets should be growing. The PAT growth need not be linear either. As WB says: A 15% zigzagging growth is better than a linear 12% growth.

Management (or the trust in Management) is very important which is why I avoid most of the firms on the NSE e.g. Kurwitu, KPLC, NBK, etc. No GoK firms except for KenRe which gave me some heartburn recently.

Debt can be problematic if not used well and I avoid overly indebted firms e.g. HAFR. I recently bought heavily indebted ARM given that CDC was going to step in and I expected a Debt to Equity conversion.

Price is important even for well-managed firms so I (sadly) don't have Jubilee, Safcom or BAT. If the prices were to drop for some reason that did not affect their operations, debt levels and they remain well-managed then I would jump in.

Good luck!

You are pretty dogmatic.
If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky that would be like the splendour of the mighty one.
VituVingiSana
#44 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 7:09:55 PM

@VyaBureSiachi - I picked up some Safcom given it dropped substantially (20% from 31) without a significant change that I found to be detrimental.

Safcom needs to respond to the competition but it remains the clear leader for now. I will sell out if the price goes beyond what makes sense OR there is a change in their or my circumstances.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
sparkly
#45 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 8:56:14 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
@VyaBureSiachi - I picked up some Safcom given it dropped substantially (20% from 31) without a significant change that I found to be detrimental.

Safcom needs to respond to the competition but it remains the clear leader for now. I will sell out if the price goes beyond what makes sense OR there is a change in their or my circumstances.

Cartoons show that Safaricom will retrace to 15-20 within the next 6 months. Hold on to your money.
Life is short. Live passionately.
VituVingiSana
#46 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 10:15:10 PM

sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Cartoons show that Safaricom will retrace to 15-20 within the next 6 months. Hold on to your money.
Then it looks even more interesting. Heck, at the sub-20 level, very enticing for a cash-printing machine.
obiero
#47 Posted : Monday, September 24, 2018 10:43:16 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Then it looks even more interesting. Heck, at the sub-20 level, very enticing for a cash-printing machine.

Those are fantasies.. Safaricom will not go lower than KES 25 anytime soon

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Ericsson
#48 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 6:10:01 AM

Turudi centum
sparkly
#49 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 6:30:52 AM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

It opened at 24.50 yesterday.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Wororo
#50 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:13:44 AM

sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Thanks @sparkly...
I hope that materialises esp when I have cash to get fully on board...

I guess this gives the late boarders an opportunity to position themselves for the future...
VituVingiSana
#51 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:28:51 AM

Two Rivers scoops real estate award
https://www.businessdail...773844-mvb6v0/index.html
Ericsson
#52 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 6:41:20 PM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
sparkly wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:

Today safaricom closes below 25 at 24.75
Pesa Nane
#53 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 1:46:29 PM

Shenanigans

Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
Superprime1
#54 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 2:13:51 PM

Pesa Nane wrote:
Shenanigans

Is someone trying some 'pump and dump'? 28th Sept vs 2nd Oct...
Ericsson
#55 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 2:19:37 PM

Superprime1 wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
Shenanigans

Ask vvs,he might be privy to the on-goings
VituVingiSana
#56 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:45:48 PM

No idea why they are paying it early. I prefer the funds to come in sooner than later. I can reinvest them while the prices are low. Saf is below 25. KenRe at 16. KK at 15. Centum at 28. Bargains to be had.
obiero
#57 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:50:13 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
Shenanigans

Unscrupulous

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
VituVingiSana
#58 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 10:11:57 PM

obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
Shenanigans

Unscrupulous

It is better to get a dividend earlier than later.
Pesa Nane
#59 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2018 11:27:06 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
Shenanigans

Unscrupulous

Surely @VVS...... Did you see the difference in dates is ONE (1) business day??
@VVS do you know they could easily keep the closure date (which is a "record date") and easily achieve the same objective by adjusting the settlement date (which they have actually stated to be on or about...)

In Naija they say a frog will not be seen running during afternoon sunshine.....
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
Ericsson
#60 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2018 5:27:20 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
Superprime1 wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
Shenanigans

Unscrupulous

Time value for money